Adoption- What do I need for an 18 month old?

This is what I use for my youngest (who is just a couple months older then your new one)

1) Stroller (I have a double)
2) Crib -mine stay in unitll about 2, you might want to see if you can have one loaned to you.
3) Crib protector- not fitter, just the mat styler. Diapers till can overflow for us and we use one for a changing pad at my Moms house.
4) Gates and outlet covers
5) Sippy cup/straw cup
6) Fun toys
7) make sure any lovey she has comes with. If she doesn't have one get her one for the transition. and buy it in multiples. There is nothing like loosing a beloved toy/snuggle friend and not having one to replace it!
8) Car seat- we use Britax

a little OT but no one told me that all the money I was spending on the adoption was a tax credit, so keep track of all the money you are spending, hotels, gas, ect and of course the lawyer.

It would have taken a little of the pressure off me seeing all of my savings being spent if I new I would be getting it all back through my taxes.

This was a few years ago, so I hope it is still a credit check with your own tax advisor of course

a little OT but no one told me that all the money I was spending on the adoption was a tax credit, so keep track of all the money you are spending, hotels, gas, ect and of course the lawyer.

It would have taken a little of the pressure off me seeing all of my savings being spent if I new I would be getting it all back through my taxes.

This was a few years ago, so I hope it is still a credit check with your own tax advisor of course

Yes as long as the adoption is final by the end of this year. This tax credit is expiring this year and not expected to be renewed.

OP is CPS involved? This makes a difference too. If the child is in CPS custody and is considered "special needs" which could be due to age, race, etc then you get the full tax credit whether you've spent it or not.

Good luck and congrats! :goodvibes

I'm an adoptive parent. It looks like everyone has covered all the basic "hard stuff" you will need, however I think you shoud prepare yourself also for the "soft stuff" - social and emotional place your child may be in :guilty: :headache: :confused: :sad2: :eek:.

Your child may be 18 months old physically, but a transition such as this will most likely regress them to a new born infant (socially and emotionally). Meet their needs, issues, etc. as you would an infant. Work on attachment and deal compassionately with any developmental trauma they may have suffered.

Great books for adoptive parents include, Beyond Consequences Logic and Control (by Heather Forbes), and The Connected Child (by Karyn Purvis), and anything by Dan Hughes.

Congrats on becoming a family.

Thanks everyone for the advice. DD was adopted at the age of 5, so we have some experience with raising an adoptive child. We just have experience at little ones! I don't have very much info yet, but am hoping to learn more within the next few days. CPS is not involved, so I know this adoption experience will be different (and more costly) than our first one was. Thanks again, and keep the advice coming!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! This is not your first child. You already have a pediatrician you are comfortable with which is a wonderful start! The other posters have already given you such wonderful advice. I would also add...

Sign up for every known baby brand: Fisher Price, Gerber, Pampers, Huggies, Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby (which takes competitor coupons and Bed Bath and Beyond coupons) etc and join any free 'Rewards' programs they offer. You will gets lots and lots and lots of coupons! I trade my Huggies for other mommies' Pampers coupons.

Any 'free and clear' laundry detergent should be fine. You probably don't need Dreft $$$ unless this child's skin is super sensitive.

TRIPLE PASTE for diaper rash.

Skip the Diaper Genie $$$. We use the regular house garbage and any stinky diaper goes in a diaper disposal bag (like poop bags you use when you walk your dog.)

Get a good 'conversion' car seat. Kids are supposed to be rear facing until at least 2 years old and a good conversion seat will last you up til 40lb backwards, 55lb forwards. This is well worth the minimal $200 investment (and think of the 20% off coupon you could use on it :angel:.)

My other must-have is what I call a 'baby corral'. It's basically a large free-standing plastic enclosed fence I put DD in when I need to shower or clean something with chemicals or do anything where its dangerous for her to be underfoot. I put a colorful soft mat under it and a few toys that I rotate out for new ones when she loses interest. It's her special area. Get one that is portable so you can keep your kid safe in a non baby-proofed house. Your new blessing is already too big for a pack-and-play or play yard.

Best of luck with your growing family!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter