Adobe Photoshop and CS

I've been using digital photography for a while. I have Photoshop 6 and have learned very basic stuff. However, I really want to learn more on how to edit my photos, get a little more creative. I've been looking for a good book to teach me, but too many and don't want to waste money on books that won't be very helpful! What is the best book for me to learn with?:flower3:

I've been using digital photography for a while. I have Photoshop 6 and have learned very basic stuff. However, I really want to learn more on how to edit my photos, get a little more creative. I've been looking for a good book to teach me, but too many and don't want to waste money on books that won't be very helpful! What is the best book for me to learn with?:flower3:

Hmm, it's going to be pretty hard to find books that are specific for Photoshop 6. Photoshop 6 came out in 2000, so it's already 10 years old. Since then, there have been 6 newer versions of Photoshop that have come out (Photoshop 7, CS, CS2, CS3, CS4, and currently CS5).

The one good thing about having such a "classic" version of Photoshop is that the used books are super cheap! I did a quick search on Amazon for "Photoshop 6", and looks like you can get a used copy of Photoshop 6 for Dummies for 50¢ (link to Amazon). There's also Deke McClelland's Look & Learn Photoshop 6 that's got better reviews and that you can buy used for just 2¢! (link to Amazon)

Hopefully that wouldn't be too much of a waste of money. Your total spending on these 2 books would be a whopping 52¢ (plus S&H)! :eek:

One thing I just realized, though. Are you talking about Photoshop itself or do you actually have Photoshop Elements 6? Photoshop Elements is a "lite", consumer version of Photoshop that does pretty much everything a hobbyist / amateur digital photographer needs. The current version of Photoshop Elements is version 8, so if you had version 6, you'd only be 2 versions behind. Photoshop Elements 6 came out at the end of 2007. Because of this, you'll probably end up spending LOTS more than just 52¢ on books for Photoshop Elements 6.

If you do have Photoshop Elements 6, here's a book I'd recommend: The Photoshop Elements 6 Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski (link to Amazon). There are other books available, so try searching "Photoshop Elements 6" in Amazon.

Of course, there are a lot of great Photoshop & Photoshop Elements tutorials available online, too. Try doing a Google or YouTube search for either "Photoshop tutorials" or "Photoshop Elements tutorials" to see what pops up.

Although, if you were able to get your Photoshop book spending down to just 52¢, that would be SWEET! :thumbsup2

Hope that helps. :)

So my husband works for a university and apparently was at the software lisencing center buying statistics software for his research. He decided to bring home a copy of Photoshop for me.

I have never used photoshop and am not actually postive I need it, but now I have it (and I geuss for what it is the $175 dollar price isn't so bad).

Anyone able to reccomend a good book so I can learn what I can do with this new unexpected item?

Just a little thing I REALLY love about Photoshop...I too have the CS5..is the actions. It makes the work sooo easy. You can even make your own. Check out Coffee Shop They have some cool actions and tells you how to install. Have fun with your new toy!! :thumbsup2

Oh yea...one ore thing...the way I learned to do all graphics and photo stuff too...I googles photoshop tutorials...TONS of them out there...kind of a hands on learning! ;)

Classroom in a Book from Adobe and pretty much any relevant Photoshop book from Scott Kelby.

Thanks for all the help!

I've heard good things about the Kelby books from others as well, so I guess I'll just get that once it comes out. I'm unlikely to have anytime for it before August 9th anyway.

Probably the best book will be The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers.

There is also an amazing amount of information at http://tv.adobe.com/. It's a collection of online tutorial videos. There is a lot of good content and it is all free. I haven't used the Photoshop stuff there, but this site was my savior when I was first doing video and audio work.

If you get serious and are willing to spend a bit more, I really like the classes on KelbyTraining. It's $25/month or $200/year. It's a bit less for NAPP members. Which raises another point, The National Association of Photoshop Professionals is another good (but not free) place to turn for information.

Man, I sound like a Scott Kelby ad. Just to even it out, Scott isn't as funny as he thinks he is and he is a total Apple fanboy.

If you get serious and are willing to spend a bit more, I really like the classes on KelbyTraining. It's $25/month or $200/year. It's a bit less for NAPP members. Which raises another point, The National Association of Photoshop Professionals is another good (but not free) place to turn for information.

I second the recommendation for Kelby training. As a professional ad creative for 20+ years I thought I was fairly proficient at PS. But I've learned more in one month of Kelby training than I have in almost 10 years. Excellent value for your money.

I have CS2 and am looking to upgrade. What got me started using it more was the book "Teach Yourself Visually Adobe Photoshop CS2". I looked and the have one for CS5 too. It has step by step instructions with pictures of the screen and arrows showing where to find every feature. I had taken it out of the library and liked it so much that I bought it.

Thanks for the Excellent post. :thumbsup2

The images have a ton of impact if you are old enough or wise enough to 'get' them.

Marlton Mom

I like the concept but I'd love to see it carried out with a little more finesse.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter