ADHD and Grandparents

GrimGrinningGhost in NJ

Earning My Ears
Hi - I have been lurking for a while and finding a lot of interesting info :-)

Question for parents of ADHD kids. My DS (7) has primarily hyperactivity-impulsivity type ADHD and also some sensory issues (gets really afraid of dark or really loud sounds, doesn't do 3D, etc.) We were in WDW in 2008 and we didn't pressure him into any rides, just let him do stuff he felt comfortable with, gave him a mini-flashlight to hang around his neck in the really dark places, etc. We didn't do a whole lot of rides but there were a lot of things he loved and had a good time. We will be returning on a big family trip this fall - he'll be 8, my other son will be 6 and DD, 2. Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and Grandparents are all going too. My problem is this - I'm pretty sure my parents, God love them, don't really think his disability is real. They are convinced that as soon as DS sees his cousins riding rides, he'll jump right on along with them. We know that's not going to happen and won't pressure him into doing anything he's not comfy with. Anyone have thoughts on how do I get my parents to have realistic expectations of this trip?

One thing may be to prepare them for the idea that you may be splitting up the party ahead of time. If he is not a ride person, then they should know that and be ready to split into smaller groups.

Figure out what rides your DS will be doing, and give a list to the grandparents This will let them know that they will get a chance to enjoy disney moments with him.

It is hard to get people to take inivisible issues seriously - in my experience, family members are the hardest! I think it stems from the idea that they don't want anything to be "wrong" with their grandbaby.

If you can structure ADHD friendly events into the day (a meal, a favorite show, etc) so make sure there are plenty of chances for extended-family togetherness, they may be a little easier about not having him on everything.

What everyone needs to do is to listen to the child. While it is good to encourage any child to expand their boundries, it is more important not "push" and to respect their limits so they develop strong self advocacy skills at an early age.

Of course you never now at WDW, our kids try things that they would never so anywhere else.

Teach everyone around your child the difference between encouraging and pushing.

bookwormde

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter