Addonitis Math

I know some of you are even better with spreadsheets and valuations than I am, so I thought I’d throw this out there:

Today I bought 3 one time use points from DVC, and then I was thinking, “maybe I should just buy all 48, in case I need them” and THEN I was thinking “wait, if I’m paying $20/pt for one time SAPs, maybe I should just pay $70-80 per points for SAPs until the end of 2042/2057/etc.”

I think that you work out to paying like $11/pt/yr including dues. Am I thinking about this right? 🤔

That's the same thought process I use when shopping at Costco. I go in for a couple of items I need and next thing you know I'm leaving with a 5 year supply of mayonnaise because I'd be losing money if I didn't.
You get me. This is actually why I don’t let myself shop at Costco. If you think about it, DVC resale is kinda like the Costco of WDW deluxe vacations. 🤣

I’ve been battling addonitis by telling myself that I’m keeping powder dry for the next disruption when resale prices drop another 10-20%.

You get me. This is actually why I don’t let myself shop at Costco. If you think about it, DVC resale is kinda like the Costco of WDW deluxe vacations. 🤣

I’ve been battling addonitis by telling myself that I’m keeping powder dry for the next disruption when resale prices drop another 10-20%.
If DVC resale was like Costco my basement would have shelves full of MK resort points and a freezer full of Epcot resort points.

I wish! That's definitely one thing Peltz and Iger see eye to eye on...charge as much as you can for crappy low quality food.
The silver lining of having spent my whole life in NY or CA is that Disney table service restaurants seem down right reasonable for what you get. 🤣

I always joke to husband on DCL cruises that the wine mark-up is (shockingly) less than 100% and “that’s where we make our money back.”

That's the same thought process I use when shopping at Costco. I go in for a couple of items I need and next thing you know I'm leaving with a 5 year supply of mayonnaise because I'd be losing money if I didn't.
Costco is my kryptonite, I walk into the store and I am so enthralled with everything I see and their awesome prices that I totally forget what I am there to buy and then walk out with everything else.

THIS WHOLE THREAD is a Friday thread. I love it!
The silver lining of having spent my whole life in NY or CA is that Disney table service restaurants seem down right reasonable for what you get. 🤣
When you throw in an AP or DVC discount, and lodging is "free" or at least no added cost, then you can "save money" going to WDW for the weekend if you find a cheap airfare. (Yes, I have done this)

Costco is my kryptonite, I walk into the store and I am so enthralled with everything I see and their awesome prices that I totally forget what I am there to buy and then walk out with everything else.
Many years ago DH and I walked into a Costco to buy actual food groceries (meat and veg and dairy to make the week's meals). There was a foosball table at the entrance, I was pushing the shopping cart. We looked at each other and I said, "I'm gonna get the big cart." We pushed the flatbed cart around with a foosball table and a giant roast on top and the kids with their parents were SO jealous.

Thank you for sharing this, gave me a lot of giggles on my lunch break. I met Eric Stonestreet when I was on the MF set and he was really nice (to me and everybody around him).

Seriously though, the more I think about it, the more I think DVC resale aggregator sites are like Costco for me. I tell myself I'm only looking for BCV or AUL in my existing UY and then I'm like "Oooh, AKL loaded points I could probably get around $100" or "Wow, loaded SSR points would be nice as we think about adding a summer trip...and they're in my UY" -- I mean, I called this the addonitis math thread for a reason. 💸

@kboo you made me laugh also. We are in CA and we flew to Orlando for Moonlight Magic a month ago (staying on points) and then we bought our kids Socerers Passes (b/c of course we are going back the week before Thanksgiving) and now we're talking about tacking on a week in August before a cruise (b/c we have the passes and the points), and my husband is like "wait, I thought you said DVC was going to save us money" and I just looked at him earnestly and said "it is, don't you see it?" LOL.

When you throw in an AP or DVC discount, and lodging is "free" or at least no added cost, then you can "save money" going to WDW for the weekend if you find a cheap airfare. (Yes, I have done this)
Y’all continue to be my kind of people cause this is the kind of enabling I’m here for. I’ve got tons of Delta pts and LGA is 30 mins away. It’s pretty much a free trip to WDW if you ask me ::yes::

Y’all continue to be my kind of people cause this is the kind of enabling I’m here for. I’ve got tons of Delta pts and LGA is 30 mins away. It’s pretty much a free trip to WDW if you ask me ::yes::
My husband has a distinct (extremely sarcastic) way of pronouncing the word "free" that only gets used in connection with Disney parks, resorts, and cruises. For example, at Aulani:

Me: The popcorn is free!!!!....(after we buy the bucket)
Hubby: Oh great, the popcorn is "free"

Nobody's perfect and he's a great spouse overall, but he really struggles with Disney math. :mickeybar

My husband has a distinct (extremely sarcastic) way of pronouncing the word "free" that only gets used in connection with Disney parks, resorts, and cruises. For example, at Aulani:

Me: The popcorn is free!!!!....(after we buy the bucket)
Hubby: Oh great, the popcorn is "free"

Nobody's perfect and he's a great spouse overall, but he really struggles with Disney math. :mickeybar
Give him time. I knew from the Costco incident that we were a good match. We'll be celebrating our 30th anniversary in a few months! Guess where we are going?

We celebrated our 25th at WDW - our first adults only weekend, where we went to California Grill and V&A and did an after hours event at HS.

we flew to Orlando for Moonlight Magic a month ago
Which one? I went to 2/27 AK and 3/1 EP. I happened to be in Tampa for work 2/25 - 3/1 so ... 😬🙄

As for spouse learning Disney math:

When we bought Riviera - 2019 - I was making the case for 200 BLT resale or 200 RIV direct? After The Tour, we were sitting there talking about size of contracts and he up and said, "Maybe we need 250 points?"

VGF add on (2023):
me: best price per point is at 150 points, we could probably use 200, how about it?
DH: ok 200
me, days later: (planning trips)
DH: Maybe 250?
me, days later: contracts coming in - we both have to sign.
DH: how much did we get, again? How many total points to we have?
me: ##
DH: why not just get to 1000?
me: (runs off to call guide to rewrite contracts AGAIN)
me: new contracts in to sign...
DH: didn't I just sign contracts? Why do I have to sign again?
me: I got us over 1000
DH: I WAS KIDDING
me: oops
DH: (sigh) where do I sign?

Last edited:
Give him time. I knew from the Costco incident that we were a good match. We'll be celebrating our 30th anniversary in a few months! Guess where we are going?

We celebrated our 25th at WDW - our first adults only weekend, where we went to California Grill and V&A and did an after hours event at HS.

Which one? I went to 2/27 AK and 3/1 EP. I happened to be in Tampa for work 2/25 - 3/1 so ... 😬🙄
We did 3/1 Epcot. We are HUGE cosmic rewind fans. We did two character greetings (Mushu and Starlord/Gamora) and spent the rest of the nite doing cosmic rewind…oh, we ate the free ice cream bars while waiting to meet characters.

As for spouse learning Disney math:

When we bought Riviera - 2019 - I was making the case for 200 BLT resale or 200 RIV direct? After The Tour, we were sitting there talking about size of contracts and he up and said, "Maybe we need 250 points?"

VGF add on:
me: best price per point is at 150 points, we could probably use 200, how about it?
DH: ok 200
me, days later: (planning trips)
DH: Maybe 250?
me, days later: contracts coming in - we both have to sign.
DH: how much did we get, again? How many total points to we have?
me: ##
DH: why not just get to 1000?
me: (runs off to call guide to rewrite contracts AGAIN)
me: new contracts in to sign...
DH: didn't I just sign contracts? Why do I have to sign again?
me: I got us over 1000
DH: I WAS KIDDING
me: oops
DH: (sigh) where do I sign?
You’re like the (happy) ghost of DVC future. 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter