• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adding DIL to Membership?

Rockweed

Earning My Ears
When I purchased my direct DVC contract, I put my son on the deed (since he'd be inheriting it one day -- in the distant future, I hope!). We each have our own DVC member accounts. Now he has a wife. I heard there is a way to add her as an "accessory" (not sure if that's what it's called). What would she be able to do with this designation? Would she be entitled to the membership card showing up in her MDE? I guess we could somehow add her to the deed, but technically in the state we live in, anything that belongs to her husband also belongs to her anyhow.

You could add her as an Associate Member. Associate Members are not directly entitled to perks/benefits extended to owners. Basically, associate members can make/modify reservations, but have no access to dues or any other financial info.

The only way for her to have full benefits, you have to add her to the deed.

When I purchased my direct DVC contract, I put my son on the deed (since he'd be inheriting it one day -- in the distant future, I hope!). We each have our own DVC member accounts. Now he has a wife. I heard there is a way to add her as an "accessory" (not sure if that's what it's called). What would she be able to do with this designation? Would she be entitled to the membership card showing up in her MDE? I guess we could somehow add her to the deed, but technically in the state we live in, anything that belongs to her husband also belongs to her anyhow.
I don’t know about your state of course, but in most community property states any property acquired before the marriage - such as DVC, or during the marriage as a gift to one spouse, remains that person’s separate property.
If you put your DIL on the deed she will have an interest because you have gifted one to her.
As your son’s spouse I assume that she’ll travel with him & as his guest she’d enjoy the benefits that he has as a member, if APs ever come back she’d qualify for one as his wife & living in the same household as your son, thus if it were me I wouldn’t bother w/ the hassle of adding her to the deed.

Reactions: cm8

You could add her as an Associate Member. Associate Members are not directly entitled to perks/benefits extended to owners. Basically, associate members can make/modify reservations, but have no access to dues or any other financial info.
That seems like a good idea, thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter