Adding a guest last minute with a possible complication.

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
I am bringing my 4 adult kids and 2 of their BF's to SSR next month. We have 4 separate studios and will most likely have different ddp's in each. Ok so far. Now DD's friend is at WDW for a conference that same week and DD asked if we could add the friend's daughter to her studio reservation. The child can't stay with her mother. There are only two mornings that the child would be with my DD otherwise she will be with her mother. There are no plans to buy the child a park ticket so I'm confused if we can do this, primarily because of the dining plan. We would have to add her to our reservation before check in becuse she needs ME most likely. Buying her the ddp is not really a problem as she will use it outside of the parks , I'm just confused about her needing a park ticket. The exact details haven't been worked out yet because I haven't said yes. :scared:Any advice?? TIA

Last edited:
I'd add her at check in. That way you don't have to buy her a ticket or the dining plan. If you try to add her ahead of time she needs to be on the same dining plan as everyone else in the room.

I'd add her at check in. That way you don't have to buy her a ticket or the dining plan. If you try to add her ahead of time she needs to be on the same dining plan as everyone else in the room.
Thanks. I forgot to add in my original post, (I'll edit it) that she would need ME with DD. We don't mind getting her ddp, she would use it outside of the parks with her mom, I'm just confused about whether she needs a park ticket.

Interesting, had no idea DVCers could do this to avoid buying the DP for everyone in the room.

Any idea if it works thusly with rooms booked thru CRO too?

Thank you. Are there any potential complications I am not thinking of? Will she get a MB or can we refuse a band for her?
She would not need a park ticket. Having a park ticket is not required to have a dining plan through DVC.

Interesting, had no idea DVCers could do this to avoid buying the DP for everyone in the room...

DVC is no different that any other resort at Disney. All people on the reservation must have the DP if anyone in the room have the DP. The DD will have to added at least two days before check-in, DP paid for in full at that time, and no she will not be forced to pay for a park ticket. You will not be able to add her at check-in due to the DP issue.

As for her getting a MB, yes she will get one; if you have charging tied to the room at check-in you can have her charging privileges removed if you want.

Ok, thanks everyone. I am definitely going to wait until last minute to add her since DD just told me she isn't sure she will need ME :sad2:.

So I'm confused. If you add them at the desk upon check in and the room has DP, do they not get the dining plan or do you have to pay for it at check in?

So I'm confused. If you add them at the desk upon check in and the room has DP, do they not get the dining plan or do you have to pay for it at check in?

She won't have it. And she will be unable to get it at check in.

I have been prevented from adding someone to the room at check-in, we had to call parents to come and get the child. They were not allowed to be in the room over-night, only there as a day guest.
They had to be added and paid for 2 days before check-in, I was told.

I have read where a guest was added onsite and they did not have to buy the DDP. I have read where the guest could not be added. I also know that one of our guests added the DDP at check-in and the reservation was canceled and re-booked by the front desk putting our points into holding.

:earsboy: Bill

DVC is no different that any other resort at Disney. .....You will not be able to add her at check-in due to the DP issue.

Except that at every other onsite resort at wdw you 100% can add people to the room at checkin and not have the dining plan. People on the Resorts board do it quite often successfully.

The only issue is if it can be done at Dvc anymore.

We added our son who lives locally on one of our last trips so he could get into the villa. But he did not get a magic band, only a card key. He was considered a day guest.

Just remembered that we added my aunt on our GF studio the day of checkin. She got a card but if she had brought her old MB she could have used that. I just gave her one of my old ones to enter the room. (We didn't go to parks)

But we didn't have the dining plan and I think that's a big part of the question here.

Oh and no one called my aunt a day guest or anything odd like that. Fwiw.

Disney is nothing if not inconsistent. People can be added at check in though they often aren't allowed to. It's a cancelation and rebooking so it has the potential to mess up the points and the DP. I wouldn't do it.

With 4 separate studios one can have different DP or even some with no DP. I'd either not have the DP for that room or get if for that person either for their use or to use the extra credits for the rest of the group.

Disney is nothing if not inconsistent. People can be added at check in though they often aren't allowed to. It's a cancelation and rebooking so it has the potential to mess up the points and the DP. I wouldn't do it.

With 4 separate studios one can have different DP or even some with no DP. I'd either not have the DP for that room or get if for that person either for their use or to use the extra credits for the rest of the group.
Thanks Dean. I called MS and asked about this and the CM told me to add her to the reservation now and if I wanted to remove her I could up to 24 hrs before check in ( never heard that before but that is what I was told). She did tell me I had to add the DP 48 hrs before but we all know that. Good to know we can use her credits if something goes differently last minute.

Thanks Dean. I called MS and asked about this and the CM told me to add her to the reservation now and if I wanted to remove her I could up to 24 hrs before check in ( never heard that before but that is what I was told). She did tell me I had to add the DP 48 hrs before but we all know that. Good to know we can use her credits if something goes differently last minute.
Remember they've removed the requirement not to pay for other guests meals with the DP. Having multiple rooms is the perfect opportunity to do rooms different ways. I'm not sure what DP options you're planning or what reservations you have but it does open up a lot of possibilities. As a rule the deluxe plan has the most savings potential and the quick service plan the least. For us we'd likely get the Dx plan for part of the rooms and pay OOP for QS and add-on options for most trips. Or if we had buffet type meals we might do part Dx and part basic depending on the number of each meals in question. But we usually share an entree and possibly an extra soup or salad though with the Dx having an appetizer, entree and dessert we often don't even need the extra, esp at places where they have cheese or fruit for dessert or let you sub dessert for a salad or soup.

We do have the DX plan in one room and will be sharing credits with other family members to cover our ts meals.DDs room has the qsddp and I will list her in there because she will either use the credits while with her mom or at the very least we can use qs credits amongst the group. We almost never do any type of DP but the fact that sharing is allowed made it worthwhile for this particular trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter