Ach! I am one of many who are now porting in Costa Maya. Excursion advice needed.

JPC

Mouseketeer
I have the second edition of Passporter's DCL and it does not have Costa Maya. Can someone email me a copy of the ratings? :earboy2: Should I book excursions on my own or book thorugh DCL? I have a 5 year old who does not like to walk for a long time. I would have to use a stroller.

Jungle Beach Break (CM-02)
Take a tropical beach break at Uvero Beach, a popular beach located 30 minutes from Costa Maya. Spend the day relaxing on the powdery-sand beach among the palm trees, or join in some of the fun activities provided at the facilities.
Activity Level: Active
For Ages: All Ages
Adult Price: $55 (ages 10 and above)
Child Price: $45 (ages 3-9), under 3 free
Duration: 4-4.5 hours

Beach Snorkel Adventure (CM-07)
Enjoy seeing various tropical marine life at 3 to 15 foot depths as you snorkel one of the newest destinations on the Mexican coast for diving and snorkeling. The tropical marine life is plentiful and will greet you as you enter the water.
For Ages: 5 And Up
Adult Price: $45 (ages 10 and above)
Child Price: $35 (ages 5-9)
Duration: 4-4.5 hours

Water Sports Excursions

Catamaran Sail and Snorkel (CM-01)
Sail the beautiful Caribbean blue waters with the sun on your back and the wind in your face when you board a catamaran at the "Fisherman's Pier."
Adult Price: $48 (ages 10 and above)
Child Price: $38 (ages 5-9)
Duration: 3-3.5 hours

Clear Kayak and Beach Break (CM-10)
Get ready to experience the wonderful undersea world with out getting wet! See the Caribbean from a totally unique point of view as you glide over the crystal clear waters in your 2 person clear kayak.
For Ages: 10 And Up
Adult Price: $59 (ages 10 and above)
Child Price: NA
Duration: 3-3.5 hours

Adventure and Sports Excursions

Horse Back Adventure (CM-05)
Get on your jeans and join in the fun! You will be greeted by a bi-lingual guide and transported to the horse ranch. Ride through prairie and jungle terrain while keeping your eyes peeled on new trees, shrubs, and animals along the way.
For Ages: 12 And Up
Adult Price: $82 (ages 12 and above)
Duration: 3.5 hours

Bike and Kayak Adventure (CM-08)
Experience first-hand, the endless stretches of beach and local flavor as you ride and kayak the coast on this exciting adventure.
Adult Price: $45 (ages 10 and above)
Duration: 2.5-3 hours

All Terrain Truck Expedition (CM-09)
Climb aboard our original 4x4 military-style all terrain truck, customized for you and your companions to ride comfortably in this safari-style tour through the beautiful and exotic terrain of the Caribbean.
Adult Price: $75 (ages 10 and above)
Child Price: $55 (ages 3-9)
Duration: 3.5-4 hours

Dune Buggy Exploration (CM-11)
Hop in your customized Dune Buggy convertible and travel caravan style away from modern civilization to the isolated fishing village of Mahahual. Feel the wind in your hair as you ride or drive along rough dirt roads through unspoiled terrain.
Adult Price: $85 (ages 10 and above)
Child Price: null

Sight-Seeing Excursions

Chaccohoben Mayan Ruins (CM-03)
Experience the secrets of the mysterious and relaxing un-excavated Mayan ruins of famous Chacchoben and still have time for shopping back at the Costa Maya pier.
Adult Price: $69 (ages 10 and above)
Child Price: $59 (ages 5-9)
Duration: 4.5 -5 hours

Chetumal Mayan Museum & Spanish Fort (CM-04)
Explore two cultures... learn about the mysterious rise and fall of the great Mayan empire at the Chetumal Mayan Museum and the arrival and fate of the Spanish conquistadors at the Spanish Fort in the village of Bacalar!
Child Price: $75 (ages 3-9), under 3 free
Duration: 6.5 hours

Kohunlich Mayan Ruins (CM-06)
Discover this magnificent, multileveled, famous Mayan ruin best known for its Temple of the Masks! Kohunlich?s broad range of architecture, natural beauty and expansive, uncrowded seclusion set it apart from the more widely toured sites.
Child Price: $75 (ages 3-9), under 3 free
Duration: 6.5 hours

4 x 4 Jeep Safari (CM-12)
The perfect combination of lush jungle, turquoise blue sea, state of the art 4x4 vehicle, isolated terrain, white sandy beach and Mexican lunch.
Child Price: null

We just got off the last Western Cruise Nov 5-12th. We wanted to book the Beach Snorkel Adventure, but were told that the vendor pulled out on DCL. I'm not sure if that was just for our cruise or if they pulled out all together. We found Costa Maya very boring with little to see. DH and I left our twins on board. We walked around the little mall-like area for about 2 hours looking in the stores. There's a pool there, but I'm not sure who owns it. There were a couple of bars, a straw market and shops selling souviners and jewelry. After looking around for an hour DH said there has to be more to this place, but when we walked behind the buildings there was nothing as well as nothing to see either way down the shoreline. DH did buy me a tanzanite bracelet as an early Christmas present, but other than that it wasn't worth it to get off the ship in our opinion.

I will be sailing on the Jan 14th cruise and am currently doing some research on Costa Maya. I believe if you can get to Mahahual village (2 miles), then there are more things to see?! ie, beaches...

BTW, I was just on disneycruise.com yesterday and it seems that not all of the listed excursions are available. :confused3

I was on a RCL ship that just went there. Our friend took the excursion to the Mayan ruins and said they were very interesting, informative.

That tour was sold out, so we took a cab to the fishing village. It's only a five minute cab ride. They sell trinkets and stuff; it's much more rustic but felt more Mexican. We bought beers from a local vendor, and sat in chairs under the trees, right by the ocean. We could see our ship in the distance. Some in our group bought jewelry, I bought some pottery, others got massages by the ocean.

Costa Maya seems to have become a place to stop because of the ruins that are about an hour inland. You have to do a bit of homework to figure out what the place has to offer.

This was through Princess, but why I particularly liked these ruins was 2 reasons...very shaded, rainforest area, not hot & desert-like, as many seem to be; additionally, it is still being excavated, so very interesting to see the process (several temples are done).
We just walked through the port area on the way back to the ship, but a storm was coming, so didn't stay. Merchants were pushy, but it might have been fun to eat at a restaurant or swim in the 'pool'
Happy cruising!
Kris

For anyone who is interested, today is Mickey Mouse's birthday!!!
I believe he is 77 years old.
so Happy birthday Mickey!!!!!

We went on the horseback riding excursion and enjoyed it very much. They take you for a 45 minute drive (not very scenic...pretty much a straight shot) out to a ranch, where they give you some history of the Mayans. Then you mount up for a 45 minute horseback riding through the woods. There were flowers, butterflies, etc. and we stopped so the guide could take photos for those who brought cameras. It was all walking (we were allowed to run a little on the one in Cozumel), but we had a good time. The pool in downtown Costa Maya looked inviting, so I might try that out next time (although hubby is leaning towards the ATV excursion...we saw it heading out, and it looked fun).
Barb

JPC said:
For anyone who is interested, today is Mickey Mouse's birthday!!!
I believe he is 77 years old.
so Happy birthday Mickey!!!!!

I actually started a thread about his birthday early yesterday so folks could wish him a happy birthday!!!!

I plan on taking a deep sea fishing trip with my kids on costa maya. That CAN'T BE BAD! If it's a sunny day, I'm sure it will be a blast to go out on a big motor boat in the crystal blue waters of Mexico ~~

I booked the Chacchoben Mayan ruins tour independently when on a Royal Caribbean cruise last April. It's NOT an excursion for people pushing strollers, but very interesting for adults and older kids: www.chacchobenruins.com

We were on the Magic October 2004 and took the Chaccohoben Mayan Ruins Tour. We have two teenage sons. This was by far the best tour we took. Very informative, with good tour guides.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter