Access America - Free kids insurance?

Masonpips

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done this? If you read the semi-fine print it looks to be that children under 18:

"Travel protection is provided, at no additional cost, to children who are under 18 years of age on the date of purchase of insurance and who are accompanied by their parent(s) or traveling with their grandparent(s). The maximum benefit payable to a child (under 18 years of age) is equal to the maximum benefit payable to a covered parent or grandparent. Travelers under the age of 18 years of age who are not traveling with their parent(s) or grandparent(s) will be subject to the rates for travelers ages 18-40."

https://www.accessamerica.com/purchase/purchase1.asp?token=KC1pP8hEBAPJvV3TdjaOEraEVbL3yqQKUC6G7y9J

I insured last year for the cost of the trip and just took my total cost divided by 4 (figuring if any one of us couldn't go, none of us would go). This year I would take the total cost, put in dh and I, add the two kids as "free" and my charge is quoted at $89. I paid about $136-$150 last year.

Is this too good to be true?

Any feedback appreciated - thanks!

Bump... I'd love to know the answer to this.

I've just been researching insurance and have not made a decision, yet.

I was planning on doing the DCL insurance, but this is looking good.

Thanks for the information. I am going to try using Access America. I was on their site last week to get a price quote, but I did not realize about kids being free. I will check it out again.

Thanks again.

GREAT news - I have this policy (leave om 7/13). I have read the fine print and each person is insured up to the parent's amount or the cost of their cruise. If you want any additional information (health ins limits etc) just let me know. Saved me about $100 since it is me and my three children!
I have compared the limits to the Disney policy and there are almost no differences.
Go for it
Barbara

professorandmom---Did you get the comprehensive or basic or what?

Access America is the same company DCL uses for their trip insurance. When I was researching I called DCL to find out who held the policy and what all the limits are. The limits for this are slightly less, but IMHO the DCL has higher then needed limits. Considering the DCL price was 3X higher I think this is an awesome deal!!

I am holding the policy and here are the details: I bought the lowest level of Family Care Plan available - total cost for my family (one adult and three kids) for a 4 day (prime time = expensive) July cruise was $63. (Disney cost $206) Remember, the cost is related to the cost of the cruise not the number of days of the cruise like Disney prices it.

The limits per person are:
Medical expense: $10k
Medical Transportation: $20k
Baggage insurance $750
Baggage delay $200
Travel Delay: $500
Trip cancellation is $1500 because that is what I paid and so each person is up to that or the cost of their cruise.
THere is a $50 deductible for medical benefits as an outpatient (which I checked and would be covered by my medical insurance).

The Disney baggage limit is $3k but I wasn't sure if this is per person or for the group. For me, I just don't have that many valuables that I would take in my baggage that could be lost to exceed $750. Camera and those things are usually with me.

Hope this information helps - let me know if you need more info.

BTW - this is the same company as Disney so I feel confident that claims are handled rather uniformally, unrelated to where you purchased the insurance.
Barbara

Thanks professorandmom
We are currently checking with our heath ins. carrrier as I feel that if something did happen they would pay IF we could get back on US territory. Access does look like the way to go!
Joan

Does anyone here have concerns with the pre-existing conditions with these policies ? Since most of us have already paid our deposits and/or paid in full. The insurance would'nt cover any pre-existing conditions.

I'm glad you asked. Our crusie is scheduled for Oct, 2003 and I did request the insurance when I put my deposit. But, ....

I may book through Access America anyway.

My neighbor is going with us and she already booked her insurance through TSA. Her parents are 75+ years old and she didn't want to have any issues with pre-existing conditions.

But, really what is a pre-existing condition. My parents are old and have high blood pressure, but if my Mom has a heart attack before we go, I don't consider that a pre-existing condition. Can 'old age' be considered a pre-existing condition???

Otherwise, I am healthy, my DH and DD, DS are all healthy. So, I am pretty much thinking we don't have any pre-existing conditions.

On pre-existing conditions.... I would suggest that you call the insurer and ask. This could be vastly different between different companies and different policies. When we recently purchased our insurance thru Travel America, before they changed to the family policies :( I called them and was told that basicly they look back 120 days... 4 months. Any condition requiring medical treatment, or a change in treatment, would be considered pre-existing. This is based on the date that you purchase the coverage, not the date you depart on your trip. Everyone who we would need to consider has not required any medical attention in the past 120 days... Except my mother who is elderly. So unless there is a medical emergency or death related to what she had been treated for, then I assume we would be covered.

I e-mailed Access America about this and thats what I was told. So if sudden happens it's not considered a pres-existing condition

I checked this out and it sounds great. We are saving quite a bit with the kids being free. We chose the Tripassist Family Care Comprehensive Plan. It is amazing that it is the same company as Disney uses (and probably the same coverage) for so much less. Great deal.

Happy Cruising!

I was trying to decide between Access America and the Disney insurance and I noticed another difference.

The Disney website says -
"If you purchase the Vacation Protection Plan and cancel your vacation for any reason not covered by the insurance portion of the plan, you will receive a credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable cancellation penalty toward a future vacation arranged by Disney Cruise Vacations, which commences within one year after the cancellation date"

I thought you could cancel your cruise before sailing at any time with Disney, I thought you would never lose your money, just not get cash back and have to get it in DCL credit to rebook.

Correct me please if I am wrong
Joanna

I am no expert but found the following policy on the Disney website.

Cancellation Policies:

If the cancellation request is received 60 or more days prior to vacation commencement date, 100% of the amount of the vacation price paid will be refunded. Cancellation requests less than 60 days prior to the vacation commencement date will be assessed cancellation fees as follows:

59-30 days prior to vacation commencement date: applicable deposit per guest

29- 8 days prior to vacation commencement date: 50% of the vacation fare per Guest

7 days or less to vacation commencement date: no refund

No refund...But how about a future credit?

A DCL rep told me you can get a credit but now cash refund, except by the guidelines posted above. Anyone know about this.

Joanna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter