• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Above ground pool...round or oval? Is one better?

Fall1

DIS Veteran
We are debating putting in an above ground pool...ideally we'd do an oval shape but the round are so much more affordable.

Have any of you done one vs the other and have an opinion to share?

Thanks!

We put in a 24' Round above ground last year, really didn't have room for a oval.

Hmmm...never really researched the shape part of it, but we had a very large round one for 5 years...I think it was 24' too. Absolutely loved it. Easy maintenance, I highly recommend a salt set up.

We bought the whole thing from Craigslist. I think we paid more for the fire dep't to come fill it than we did for the pool. :D

We had an oval one and I liked it because you had a longer area to swim in. I like to do laps.

We are debating putting in an above ground pool...ideally we'd do an oval shape but the round are so much more affordable.

Have any of you done one vs the other and have an opinion to share?

Thanks!

It all depends on where you're going to put it, how much room you have, what you can afford, which shape looks better in your yard, etc, etc.

People will often think an oval is better because it looks stronger and better made. And it is to an extent. But that's just the extra buttressing required for the long straight sides to keep them from bulging out that a round doesn't require. And of course that adds to the oval's price and adds to the oval's installation cost. They will both last about the same assuming same company same grade.

We had a 24' foot round here when we moved in. I wished it was an oval.
We kept it but had we decided to replace it I would have spent the money for an oval or rectangular.

We had an oval one and I liked it because you had a longer area to swim in. I like to do laps.

Ever watch NASCAR? You can do laps in a circle. :D

In thinking about it, I suppose it may depend on your intended use. If you're going to do laps, I can see where an oval might make more sense. For us, it was just to cool off and play with the kids (they were younger then) after a hot summer day.

In thinking about it, I suppose it may depend on your intended use. If you're going to do laps, I can see where an oval might make more sense. For us, it was just to cool off and play with the kids (they were younger then) after a hot summer day.

Yeah, but I'd get dizzy!:)

We have a 24’ round and love it. We didn’t have the room to deal with the buttresses that the oval pool required so that dictated our decision. My cousin has a 27’ round. That’s a really nice size.

Yeah but if I'm understeering, I can't take a round of wedge out or change the pressure in my water wings.

We have a large oval pool,

Picture it like a clock; 12 and 6 are at the middle narrow parts and 3 and 9 are at the long ends.

We got the largest sand filter.

Pump located 2 o’clock.

On the farest side from the pump there (10 o’clock) not a lot of water movement, so algae wants to grow there; so I put a floater with chlorine tabs over there.

We had the stairs, a large platform set, located 8 o’clock, they really grew algae and when at the end of the year I took them out, the backside and inside was thick green algae. And I could not get the water to stay clear with them.

We now have a plain ladder that I remove when no one is in pool to prevent algae growth.

We really like oval shape. It probably would of been better if the filter was not towards an end but that is where the electricity could be placed.

DH hooks up a timer for the pump.

Our house already had an oval when we moved in, but I do like it better than my neighbor's round. - I like the look, and the amount of room for games like volleyball. However, if you're doing your own mowing, the buttresses are a pain.

As a kid I grew up with a 15x30 oval. When we got a pool for our kids, I thought about an oval. We ended up with a 28' round and I love it. It's big enough to do some laps and big enough to have the kids play in one part and adults can hang out separately. love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter