? about joining military

minkydog

DIS Cast Member
I also posted this on the community board, but then i thought maybe I might get more replies ofver here. so forgive me for asking twice:

My DS19 is seriously thinking about the Air Force. His best friend just finished basic training and is now in Monterey, CA, living it up. We come from a heavily AF/Navy family so I have no problem with him joining AT ALL--in fact, I think it would be the best thing in the world for growing him up.

Heres my big worry: DS19 went through a very difficult patch in high school. He was on some serious psychiatric drugs and was hospitalized twice for suicidal threats. He quit school,left home, and eventually got his HS diploma and is now in Community College. He has a clean record with the exception of a traffic ticket which he is working off now(community service).

He has not been treated with any manner of therapy or drugs in over a year and has really finally got his feet on the ground. I'm afraid that his 2yr floundering stint in HS will bar him from the military. I don't know whether to encourage him or not.

What do you think?

That is really hard to say. It may make it harder for him to get security clearances(that'll be the big one for him), get certain jobs, etc, even if they do allow him in. Beware the recuitier! They will tell him he can get whatever job he wants basically to get him to sign on the dotted line - but really - they won't know until all of his security paper work is finished, until he's done with all of his training, etc. It is a good bet, though, that a recruiter can give you some pretty good info as to what his main options will be. No offense to recruiters at all - but my DH included - sometimes info is left out that needs to be given.

Thanks, Kristy. DS is talking to a recruiter now and my only warning to him is not to sign anything without talking to us first. His Dad is all for him joining the AF, not so much the Marines(his second choice). But we are committed to helping him find out all his options and supporting him in whatever he chooses. Personally, I would be very proud if he decided to serve our country.

Proud is good! My DH went in at 18, we got married shortly after and have been married or 13 years now. He's been active duty enlisted, reserve enlisted, and now active duty officer.... so we know our way around.....
But going in with eyes wide open is very important! Hopefully your son won't feel that there is any real rush - there will always be an AF and they will always need people! He can take a while to research the career options they offer him!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter