? about impatiens

Rafiki Rafiki Rafiki

<font color=peach>I took matters into my own hands
I planted impatiens in my front garden last year and they didn't survive. Now I love impatiens, and I am hard-headed, so I bought another flat of them this year. Help me help them survive.

I put them in a shady area this year--last year I know they had too much sun. Should I put Miracid in them?

The instructions also said to plant them 12" apart, but if I do that, my bed won't look pretty, so I planted them somewhat closer to one another. Is that going to hurt them?

Use Miracle Gro on them.....not Miracid....Miracid is only used for acid loving plants.

Impatiens love the shade and lots of water. They can't be allowed to dry out....they wilt badly. You can plant them closer than 12"....it will just create a more lush effect.

Also....keep the dirt around your annuals loose...you may have to go out 2/3 times a season with a hand cultivator and loosen the soil. Annuals have shallow roots that aren't as strong as perennials....they need aerated soil so their roots get stronger and can support a larger plant.

Maybe the soil needs to be lighened up. Impatiens like soil that holds water.

I would add a mixture of peat moss, compost, and a slow release fertilizer before planting the plants.

Miracle Grow is a quick fix for plants. You need to improve the soil, always use slow release fertilizers they are much better for the plants.

whoa, whoa, wait a minute. The flowers are already in the ground. Should I pull them all up?

Rafiki-I would top dress with dehydrated cow manure and a 5-10-5 fertilizer. Turn it into the soil lightly. Next year lighten up the soil. It will make a world of difference.

As far as how much peat moss I use. When adding a new garden or re-doing an old garden.

For every 6 square feet I use a large bag of peat moss. I not sure I think it's 5 cubic feet. I add compost every year. A thin layer 1/2 inch and turn it into the soil lightly. I also add wood chips to all my flower gardens yearly. About a 1/2 inch.

In the spring I add a thin layer of compost over last years chips and a some 5-10-5 fertilizer, turn both into the soil, a couple of inches deep. This sounds like a lot of work, it is, but its worth it. When soil is all mixed. I order a truck load of wood chips. Much, much cheaper then buying it by the bags.

I rarely use products like Miracle Grow. They are good for annual and vegetable other then that I would rather use a slow release fertilizer or a natural fertilizer like bone meal, manure or compost.

This all sounds like a lot of work, yes it is, it usually takes me most of the spring, but once done there is very little maintenance. Because of all the work I do in the spring I very rarely get weeds. Most of my summer garden work is dead-heading the flowers and
watering. And just enjoying the gardens.

OK, next question. I have mulched the bed. Do I now remove the mulch, or do I just go with Miracle grow and start again next year?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter