ABD Scotland, brings back memories!

TeeKo

Mouseketeer
Our first trip to Europe with our then 7 year old was ABD Scotland. We are back in Scotland with our now 16 year old, on our own this time.
We are at the Waldorf where the ABD is staying! It was Balmoral hotel for our ABD in 2014. Brought back memories to see the ABD gathering in the lobby, guides rounding up the guests from breakfast. Guides are Larry and Claire (we had Hanne and Michael).

Scotland is definitely one of my favorite trips! It's such a shame that the current trip bears so little resemblance to the trip as it was in 2013/2014. I'm sure the current trip is lovely (it *is* Scotland, after all) but it's just not as special as the original trip was! Did you go up and say "Hi!" to them?

I also, like @CaliforniaGirl09 had Hanne and Zoe. Fabulous pair!

Sayhello

Scotland is definitely one of my favorite trips! It's such a shame that the current trip bears so little resemblance to the trip as it was in 2013/2014. I'm sure the current trip is lovely (it *is* Scotland, after all) but it's just not as special as the original trip was! Did you go up and say "Hi!" to them?

I also, like @CaliforniaGirl09 had Hanne and Zoe. Fabulous pair!

Sayhello
I had bad intel. My DH and DS insisted “Larry” was a guide.
One guide is definitely Claire and the other guide has beautiful, curly, auburn hair. They had their hands full with a large group this morning so I didn’t approach. I just watched them from afar like they were movie stars.

That was one of our favorite trips. We went the first year (2013) and had an amazing itinerary. We were with Hanne and Zoe. Loved those two!
I looked up the new Scotland itinerary after I read your post. It doesn’t much resemble the trip I took.
Any idea whatever became of the Brave tapestry that they had the ABD groups participate in weaving?

I looked up the new Scotland itinerary after I read your post. It doesn’t much resemble the trip I took.
Any idea whatever became of the Brave tapestry that they had the ABD groups participate in weaving?
I've often wondered about what happened to that tapestry, too! It was so cool to work on it & see the progress others had made!

Sayhello

No idea! I've wondered about that, too. That was one of those activities I didn't think much about when we booked, but it ended up being really fun and memorable.

Dd and I saw the ABD Scotland group last year when we were touring Holyrood Palace. They seemed to be rushing through and one of the young men in the group bumped into dd. We went to the cafe afterwards and one of the guides was there (the other was in the shop helping some guests). Honestly we were glad that we didn't have to rush through -- it was much nicer going through the palace at our own pace, then walking up the Royal Mile when we finished our self-guided tour.

Dd and I saw the ABD Scotland group last year when we were touring Holyrood Palace. They seemed to be rushing through and one of the young men in the group bumped into dd. We went to the cafe afterwards and one of the guides was there (the other was in the shop helping some guests). Honestly we were glad that we didn't have to rush through -- it was much nicer going through the palace at our own pace, then walking up the Royal Mile when we finished our self-guided tour.
ABD Scotland was perfect for us at the time we went. But it’s definitely a sizable group.

Isle of Skye and Plockton today

Attachments

• IMG_0532.jpeg
    IMG_0532.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0526.jpeg
    IMG_0526.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 22
Our guide Barry is amazing. So kind and so in love with his home country

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpeg
    IMG_0506.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 23
That was one of our favorite trips. We went the first year (2013) and had an amazing itinerary. We were with Hanne and Zoe. Loved those two!

That was our first ABD and got us hoked. Love HAnne and Zoe! They were amazing!

I've often wondered about what happened to that tapestry, too! It was so cool to work on it & see the progress others had made!

Sayhello

I know, me too. It would be neat to see how it turned out.

That was our first ABD and got us hoked. Love HAnne and Zoe! They were amazing!

Calypso, I read your Scotland ABD trip report before our trip! I would quote you on our trip, tell DH, “Well, Calypso said….”
Your report was so helpful to me!

Calypso, I read your Scotland ABD trip report before our trip! I would quote you on our trip, tell DH, “Well, Calypso said….”
Your report was so helpful to me!

Oh I’m so glad you found the trip report helpful 😊 I’m LOL about “well Calypso said …” 😂

It really was an amazing trip and got me hooked on ABD!

I shouldnt really tell too many people the secret but since you’ve all been so nice about Scotland, my advice, if you’re ever coming to visit is avoid Edinburgh or dont stay too long, get yourself out to the Western Isles like Skye, Barra, Jura and Lewis. The Kintyre peninsula is beautiful. If any of you are ever visiting and want to play some golf give me a shout, my course is on the Banks of Loch Lomond and im always happy to take a guest on to see the views.

I shouldnt really tell too many people the secret but since you’ve all been so nice about Scotland, my advice, if you’re ever coming to visit is avoid Edinburgh or dont stay too long, get yourself out to the Western Isles like Skye, Barra, Jura and Lewis. The Kintyre peninsula is beautiful. If any of you are ever visiting and want to play some golf give me a shout, my course is on the Banks of Loch Lomond and im always happy to take a guest on to see the views.
Are these places we could easily visit on our own? Scotland looks beautiful but I honestly don't know much about it. (I usually research wherever we're going and even take language classes.) However a school trip for DD came up so we both signed up. It only goes to Edinburgh in Scotland so we'd either explore Scotland beforehand on our own or perhaps do the ABD first...

Are these places we could easily visit on our own? Scotland looks beautiful but I honestly don't know much about it. (I usually research wherever we're going and even take language classes.) However a school trip for DD came up so we both signed up. It only goes to Edinburgh in Scotland so we'd either explore Scotland beforehand on our own or perhaps do the ABD first...
It depends on your own interests, like for me Edinburgh castle is the famous one but Stirling is better. Edinburgh is set up with all the touristy stuff, its not authentic, but i suppose its fun enough. St Andrews is lovely to visit, id rather spend a night there than Edinburgh (even if you dont like golf theres loads to do). Yes we have decent enough transport infrastructure, you can fly to Barra (flights from Glasgow land on the beach, google it, spectacular landing), some of the beaches on the western isles are amongst the most beautiful in the world. You can plan routes all over, have a look at the ‘North Coast 500’ which is like the Scottish version of route 66. You can drive over to Skye very easily there is a bridge from the mainland. Id say have a look at the Western Isles, Highlands (inverness, loch ness, cairngorms, aviemore, oban, glen finnan viaduct (harry potter train bridge) glen coe), Fife for St Andrews, Carnoustie, etc, Stirling is between Glasgow and Edinburgh and you can drive up to the highlands from there. Ayrshire has some beautiful scenery too and nice golf courses. If i was planning say a week here id recommend getting out of the cities and into the Highlands and Western Islands. Have a wee night in Edinburgh after yer flight if you want, but get out and explore. Its an incredibly safe country, driving is easy, there are good accommodation options and planning a route/vacation itinerary would be easy. The ABD seems nice enough but some of the places they choose to visit leave me scratching my head its all a bit twee, ‘come make shortbread’ and plays to a false image of Scotland, i mean i dont even own a kilt, it kinda plays up the ‘outlander’ vibe but neglects that Scotland led the world in technology and science from creating phones, tvs, tyres, modern medicine, antibiotics and cloning animals. So i mean i get the romantic notions but its not ALL we are. (I mean its beautiful, its stunning, it is romantic, but its got a lot of substance too). I looked at the ABD pricing, circa $8000 per adult for a week is an absolute fortune and you could easily do something cheaper, why not hire a camper van and do the North Coast 500, or drive to skye and sleep on a beach with not another soul nearby for miles… or walk up Ben Nevis, our highest mountain, just feel some of the activities are a bit like me coming to America and thinking everyone goes about with a Cowboy hat on?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter