A word of belated thanks for the 6/8/11 "Beat the Heat" podcast

Fantasmic23

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the
I just got around to listening to the "Beat the Heat" podcast this morning. Thank you, thank you, thank you! We'll be in Florida the first week in August (Universal Studios) and while we're very excited about our upcoming trip, we're very nervous about the heat. We usually visit Florida in November and February. While there have been some hot days, I'm sure it's nothing compared to August.

Thank you so, so much for the wonderful advice and tips, as well as all of the helpful products (and websites) mentioned. I was taking notes during the entire show. We're driving down from Connecticut and one of the first things I am going to purchase is a window shade for the car.

Thank you again for such an informative podcast. :goodvibes

Glad it helped ease your fears! Just a side note, I think we may have mentioned it on the show but just in case, I tried one of those accordian-style windshield shades and it was terrible, so I got one like this instead where it's two separate pieces and they roll up into a small circle: http://www.amazon.com/Basix-Magic-Jumbo-Sunshade-Styles/dp/B000BQR100/ref=pd_sim_dbs_auto_1

They sell them at Wal-Mart so if you find yourself near one, I highly recommend it. I think it was like $10 or something. Good luck!

Glad it helped ease your fears! Just a side note, I think we may have mentioned it on the show but just in case, I tried one of those accordian-style windshield shades and it was terrible, so I got one like this instead where it's two separate pieces and they roll up into a small circle: http://www.amazon.com/Basix-Magic-Jumbo-Sunshade-Styles/dp/B000BQR100/ref=pd_sim_dbs_auto_1

They sell them at Wal-Mart so if you find yourself near one, I highly recommend it. I think it was like $10 or something. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the link! Wal-Mart is right up the street so I definitely will be heading there.

I have had various window shades over the years. The first one I ever had was made from cardboard. :laughing: But it was better than nothing. :thumbsup2

The one I have now, most likely bought at a auto parts store or WalleyWorld, is covered with a shiny foil that does a great job reflecting the sun. It, like all the rest, have been fold ups. Works just fine. Just make sure it fits.

You do not have much choice at WDW, but my granny would ALWAYS hunt of a shade tree to park under. :thumbsup2 She lived in GA, VA and FLA all her life, mostly before AC, so she knew how to deal with the heat. :)

One thing I did not hear mentioned on the Podcast was to eat. When you are really hot you do not want to eat but you need the minerals that you are sweating. Fruits are really good since you need potassium especially bananas. Some nuts are good as well.

JUST drinking water can get you in trouble too. You have to eat and drink.

Wearing a wide brimmed hat helps. Keep the sun off your neck and head. Straw hats work well if they are loosely woven since heat can escape. Your head is a big heat radiator. Keep it covered in the winter helps keep you warm. In the summer, that sun on your head, can warm you up too much.

Cotton is king is the heat. Especially a thin weave and thin material. Granny taught me that too. :rotfl:

Later,
Dan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter