A Very Lucky (First) Solo Trip! A Feb/Mar 2020 TR * Completed 1/10: Brown Derby Lounge and Goodbye WDW

Day Five - Part One: My First Ride on Rise of the Resistance

Skip this post if you don’t want any RotR spoilers!

My exact notes from this morning were “set an alarm for 6:40am on vacation, why am I like this?”

Since HS is the closest park to Coronado, I figured a Lyft would be cheap and more reliable than the buses. My goal was to leave my room around 7 to give me plenty of time to get to the park for an 8am opening for RotR (barring a catastrophe).

Somehow, I managed to request my Lyft by 7:04. Remember when it took me over an hour to leave my room the morning before? :rotfl2: I requested it to pick me up from Gran Destino Tower since I’m always worried they will get lost trying to pick me up from near my room.

I didn’t have great luck with drivers, and was dropped by two drivers that were pretty far away, luckily my 3rd driver was nearby and arrived at GDT at 7:21. The entrance into HS was only three cars deep, so it was very quick and I was dropped off by the entrance at 7:31. Not bad at all!

IMG_7798.jpeg

With tip, it was $13 and well worth not having to deal with the craziness of a pre-park opening HS bus. From what I am hearing about dealing with the skyliner and trying to get to HS these days, I would always choose the Lyft/Uber option for peace of mind. I saw huge lines for the HS bus stop at the resort and didn’t want to chance it.

I made it through bag check by 7:38, despite the very thorough security guy who wanted to through every nook and cranny of my bag! I hope they keep the scanners I keep hearing about, so much faster.

I scanned into HS at 7:40, there was no wait to scan in on the right-most side since most people (such as myself) come in from the left side. It was actually so much quieter than I expected, I think I was at the sweet spot of being later than the people who get there super early to play it safe, and beating the last minute rush of everyone who sleeps in a bit.

IMG_7799.jpeg

For no reason other than it was close, I decided to head to Sunset Boulevard to try and get my boarding pass. As you can see, people were lining up for ToT and RnRC.

IMG_7800.jpeg

I think I was too late to have a short wait for any rope drop rides, so I found a bench and waited for 8:00 to arrive. I ran a speedtest on my phone, and with Verizon I was getting 45 mbps download speeds which seemed pretty great. I used to have Sprint, which was awful in the parks. Closer to the entrance speeds were much slower, so definitely try out a few spots if you can. I’ve never had good luck with Disney wifi so I didn’t even bother with that.

The line to RnRC/ToT kept getting longer as I sat there, I overheard the CM saying it would be about an hour initially and then 90 minutes as it was getting closer to opening. No thanks since I have always been able to pick up a same day FP as a single rider!

IMG_7805.jpeg

Apart from the ride lines, there weren’t that many people on Sunset. It was nice having a bench to sit on, since I knew it was going to be a long day!

I’m not sure if my strategy is applicable anymore, but what I did before 8:00 was restart my phone and make sure all apps were closed. I then opened the MDE app and made sure my friends and family list was just me, and started a timer at exactly 7:59 so I could watch the second hand. The announcement about boarding groups came on at 7:59:45 and you could hear the anticipation from everyone!

I read some tips on here about giving a few extra seconds after 8:00 before trying to join a boarding group (to avoid being too “early” and being locked otu), so I reopened the MDE app at exactly 8:00 and clicked the “Find Out More” button about three seconds after 8:00. The “Join Boarding Group” was red like it was supposed to be, and I clicked right in no problem. :woohoo:

IMG_7806.png

Wahoo, I got boarding group 6! I think my first FPs of the day were at MK, so I was hoping I could ride right away and then head over to MK since I didn’t have any HS FPs.

There was some cheering as people got BGs, and you could definitely see people struggling to figure it out. I’m not sure how it works, but I’m guessing it’s easier for solo people to get a BG since if there is a set # of people per BG, we can “fill in” where bigger groups can’t.

I decided to head to Galaxy’s Edge right away, this time I knew where to go since I had just been in December. I passed Star Tours and it only had a 25 minutes wait, but I figured my BG would be called soon so I skipped it.

IMG_7811.jpeg

My BG was called at 8:12 and given a two hour return time!

IMG_7812.png

I scanned into RotR at 8:15, feeling so special to be one of the first to ride that day! The ride entrance was a bit surrounded by people who were confused about needing a BG, so I felt like a celebrity being let into a VIP experience! :cool1:

IMG_7814.jpeg

There weren’t very many people, maybe two dozen. We didn’t have to wait at any point during the ride so we were definitely one of the first groups going through. I think the downside was there wasn’t really any time to take things in, though I’m sure you could hang back and take your time if you wanted to.

IMG_7818.jpeg

The pre-show stuff was neat, even though I have extremely limited knowledge. I basically know the main characters’ names and that’s about it!

The Rey hologram was really cool, I could tell the big Star Wars fans were just having the times of their lives already!

IMG_7820.jpeg

We headed to the shuttle next, which is the first “ride” of the experience.

IMG_7821.jpeg

There was so much to look at but I definitely felt like I had to keep up with my “group” from the pre-show room.

IMG_7822.jpeg

Perhaps if you’re later in the day and things are running a bit behind, you might have more time to take it all in.

IMG_7823.jpeg

The shuttle is really cool inside, I’ve got no clue who this guy is but he was talking during our entire ride. Clearly my knowledge of Star Wars is very limited! My mom and I watched the original trilogy a year ago or so for the first time, but I confess I only partly paid attention. I'm more of an MCU gal, sorry!

IMG_7829.jpeg

The shuttle holds quite a few people, you stand the entire time and hold onto railings as it simulates flight. It’s not that much motion (you are standing after all) so I think most people could handle it, since the motion is real and not screen-based.

There are a lot of things to look at inside so if you can ride multiple times, I’d stand somewhere different each time.

IMG_7825.jpeg

I didn’t really have any idea what was going on, but true Star Wars fans will absolutely love this I’m sure!

IMG_7831.jpeg

We “landed” after being intercepted, and finally were at what I think is the absolutely coolest part of the experience, the First Order star destroyer bay!

IMG_7833.jpeg

Somehow I ended up being one of the first off the shuttle, I think since it’s just easier to move around when you’re solo since you don’t have to collect your entire group. The perk of being off first is a chance to take photos (if you have your camera ready) before anyone else is in them!

An example of the ride vehicle is on the side, guarded by stormtroopers.

IMG_7834.jpeg

Seeing all of the stormtroopers is absolutely amazing! It’s unbelievable in person, the room is so huge and on another scale. The ceiling is so high and it just feels massive.

IMG_7836.jpeg

I wasn’t super prepared for photos on this first ride, but (spoiler) I was able to ride again the next day and will have some better photos from that ride.

Everyone was oohing and ahhing and taking a ton of photos, but they only give you a minute and then start herding you to the next room.

IMG_7841.jpeg

Even the hallways are cool to look at, and the First Order officers are quite scary!

IMG_7845.jpeg

Everything is so immersive, despite my limited knowledge I still found it very fascinating. The First Order officer guiding us was roasting people left and right, nothing harmful but just things like “stand on the orange, you do know what orange looks like don’t you?”

IMG_7848.jpeg

Everything was going so smoothly, no waits between anything which I think would take away from the immersion.

IMG_7852.jpeg

I was in the back row, darn! I think the front row would be ideal for immersion but since there are only 8 per vehicle, you can see well from any spot.

IMG_7854.jpeg

Some dude (ha) on the screen talked to us, and we were off!

IMG_7856.jpeg

The trackless nature of the ride is unreal, it made everything so realistic and unpredictable.

IMG_7858.jpeg

There is a lot happening at one time so you won’t be able to catch everything, meaning I think you can reride many times and get something new out of it each time!

The AT-AT walkers were indescribable, they are so gigantic and it really just shows how much Disney has put into this ride.

IMG_7859.jpeg

RotR is definitely on another level compared to anything Disney has ever done! It truly felt like I was part of a crazy escape mission!

IMG_7865.jpeg

We escaped Kylo’s wrath! I think some parts would be a bit intense for the kiddos, but if they have seen the movies they will be fine. :thumbsup2

The last part is the most thrilling since there is a drop as your escape pod leaves the ship, but it’s pretty obvious when it is going to happen and you can brace yourself a bit. Definitely not as bad as ToT where most of the scariness is from the buildup of anticipation. This is also where there is simulated flight, which I think is the only part of the ride that would be problematic for people with motion sickness. For those who cannot handle that, I would think you can go through to the star destroyer bay and then exit by asking a CM, although if it’s a First Order officer they may heckle you a bit first! :rotfl:

We landed safely and were congratulated on a successful mission.

IMG_7870.jpeg

What an absolutely incredible experience! I think it is best when it’s seamless like I experienced since it adds to the sense of urgency. I’ve heard about people having to wait between each section, which would definitely take away some of that, but it also would probably give you more time to appreciate all of the details of the theming. :scratchin

I was done with RotR at 8:35, so overall it was about a 20 minute experience without any waiting. I really enjoyed myself, but I think it’s definitely going to be especially meaningful for a Star Wars fan. Two thumbs up from me and worth all of the hype!

Wait times were pretty high at Hollywood Studios from the park opening BG rush, about 45 minutes for most rides and then 120 for Slinky and Smuggler’s, so I decided to head off to MK since I had planned my FPs there. MK was opening at 9, so I thought I might even make it to rope drop!

Overall a great start to my morning, I was so happy that I got an early boarding pass and didn’t have to wait around all day or stress about getting back to HS after being called.

Continued in Part Two: Three Hours in Magic Kingdom

Last edited:
Awesome review of Rise! We loved it. I am a huge SW fan and it was so cool! Andi loved it and she doesn’t even really like SW, except for the first new one with Rey!
The RD lines at HS are awful now with all the people coming in for Rise, it really is hard to enjoy the mornings there. Sounds true now even, ugh!
Your evening before sounds just like what we would do, hop from park to park with our extra FP, now that is gone :sad:

Awesome review of Rise! We loved it. I am a huge SW fan and it was so cool! Andi loved it and she doesn’t even really like SW, except for the first new one with Rey!
The RD lines at HS are awful now with all the people coming in for Rise, it really is hard to enjoy the mornings there. Sounds true now even, ugh!
Your evening before sounds just like what we would do, hop from park to park with our extra FP, now that is gone :sad:

I am thinking I need to give the newer movies a try, I tend to like the flashier effects so maybe I will get more into those! HS is such a busy park now, definitely seems like you have to do multiple half days to get everything in (which of course isn't possible now, with no park hopping! :sad1:)

Going from park to park is so fun and I really cannot imagine a trip without that. I love the variety and also I can't imagine only getting to go to some parks one time during an entire trip...so sad!

Day Five - Part Two: Three Hours in Magic Kingdom

I got in line around 8:50AM to take the bus from HS to MK. The bus arrived after about five minutes and we were off to MK around 9.

The lady behind me was complaining about literally everything, including how long she had to wait for the bus. She got in line after me and I only waited five minutes, so not sure how someone could manage to be so upset before 9AM?! :scratchin

We were dropped off at MK at 9:09, so HS and MK are much closer together than I remembered. Usually I am heading to MK either first thing from the resort, or in the evening after a break at the resort.

IMG_7873.jpeg

The line for bag check was insane! The park had just opened, so it was a very bad time to be arriving. This was March 1st, obviously we had no idea what we were in for at the time...

Overhead a woman asking “does a purse count as a bag?” :rotfl:

While waiting in line, I updated my Pirates FP to Small World since it was originally for later in the day, as I wasn’t sure how long it would take me to get through RotR that morning.

I was into MK by 9:23, you sure have to be aggressive in those bag check lines or people will just squeeze in front of you!

IMG_7875.jpeg

It definitely seemed like it would be a busy day based on the morning crowds. I headed over to Pirates since I had gotten rid of my FP, and luckily standby was quoted at only 15 minutes. I made it on in only six minutes, and in front row!

IMG_7878.jpeg

I don’t mind change and am perfectly okay with them updating some of the animatronics occasionally. It still amazes me that a dark ride inspired an entire Movie franchise!

IMG_7879.jpeg

I’m not posting my ride photo because I looked ridiculous, I have yet to get a decent Pirates photo! :sad:

Big Thunder jumped from 15 to 60 minutes, but Splash was only 10 minutes at 9:50 so that’s where I headed next! It was a chilly morning but sunny, so I figured why not!

IMG_7882.jpeg

The line started at the top of the stairs, not bad at all and I waited only six minutes again. Thankfully I got the back row, where you rarely get more than a little splash!

IMG_7886.jpeg

The music was working this time, last time it was completely silent and so eerie! Lots of people were unloading with wet butts, that always makes me laugh! Usually I bring a plastic grocery bag to sit on to be safe! :hyper:

I had a 7DMT FP for 9:10-10:10, and I scanned in during the 15 minute grace period at 10:21. Standby was up to 95 minutes already! A big family was moving slowly and let me pass them, I always appreciate when people do that!

I made it on in three minutes and the CMs were having a really hard time keeping up with the trains and filling them up, there were a lot of empty rows because guests were not following directions or taking too long. Being the person who assigns rows always seems like such a stressful role!

IMG_7886b.jpg

My next FP was Space Mountain! This ride gives me the most nostalgia at MK, it was the most memorable for me as a kid when I went for the first time back in ‘04.

IMG_7887.jpeg

I waited about eight minutes in the FP line, and ended up in the back row.

IMG_7888.jpeg

It was nice and dark this time, lots of stars! I feel like my rides are hit and miss, sometimes there is a lot of light and it isn’t as fun that way! I do like the WDW version better because the track is more unique than at Disneyland. As usual, this is the only coaster where I don’t put my hands up! :sad2:

I decided to ride the Peoplemover next, there was a long line around 11 but only because they hadn’t opened up the chain link overflow queue yet.

IMG_7889.jpeg

Standby was listed at 5 minutes but I ended up waiting a little over 10 minutes, still not bad.

I love the Peoplemover, so relaxing and I love having my own vehicle. The view over Tomorrowland is so neat, and I enjoy seeing the castle from up high.

IMG_7890.jpeg

I’m sure my photo is already very outdated, but Tron was looking amazing at the time! I can't wait!

IMG_7895.jpeg

It was cold and windy and I always have to hold onto my Minnie ears for the outside portion! :laughing:

I headed to my last MK fastpass next, It’s a Small World! Standby was up to 50 minutes at 11:30, I swear this standby line is always super long at strange times. :eek: If I’m going to wait 50 minutes for something, it won’t be for small world.

I waited a little longer than usual in the FP line, about seven minutes. There was a little girl screaming the lyrics during the entire ride, I thought maybe her parents just let her keep screaming hoping she would lose her voice! :bitelip:

My extra magicbands are always in my backpack, so of course I was featured on the screen!

IMG_7900.jpeg

At this point I was ready for a change of scenery, so I decided to head out of MK and take a quick break at the pool at Coronado since it was nice and sunny and starting to warm up. Despite my early morning, I was considering doing evening EMH at HS from 8:30-10:30. YOLO, right? :laughing:

I leisurely made my way out of MK, stopping for a few photos along the way.

IMG_7902.jpeg

The Coronado bus stop was empty at 12:20, yikes!

IMG_7903.jpeg

I waited about 12 minutes before a bus arrived, with only one other couple getting on. We made it back to the main stop at Coronado in 11 minutes, I just love that Coronado is so close to MK compared to most of the other non-MK resorts.

In three hours, I was able to ride Pirates, Splash, 7DMT, Space Mountain, Peoplemover, and Small World. I would hate not being able to have FPs as a solo rider! Hopefully they can bring back FPs at some point.

Continued in Part Three: Pool Break, Pooh Bear, and the Epcot Experience

Last edited:

:wave:
You're a lot braver that I am. I can't even go to a restaurant by myself, no way could I go to DW. Wish I was able to though. My kids are old enough to be working and can't always get off of work.

Last edited:
:wave:
You're a lot braver that I am. I can't even go to a restaurant by myself, no way could I go to DW. Wish I was able to though. My kids are old enough to be working and can't always get off of work.

I think being an only child helps, I learned to enjoy my alone time at a very young age :laughing: I used to travel a bit for work so that definitely eased my nerves about being places alone. I'm not sure I want to do solo travel outside of Disney though. At this point I just wish I was able to travel again at all!

Day Five - Part Three: Pool Break, Pooh Bear, and the Epcot Experience

Hungry for lunch, I decided try a rice bowl from the quick service, El Mercado. I got the carnitas because they looked nice and juicy! You can choose your own ingredients: I got corn, tomatoes, black beans, onion, cheese, guac, sour cream, salsa, and cilantro rice. I asked for “extra EXTRA” jalapenos and the CM delivered! He seemed excited, I think most people are like nooooo when they ask about jalapenos :hyper: .

It was around $14, classic Disney mark up! It is absolutely big enough to share though, I only ate around half and I have been known to sometimes finish an entire Chipotle bowl!

IMG_7906.jpeg

I swapped my fuel rod outside of El Mercado, as useless as it was, I was determined to make use of it to get my money’s worth!

I took a scenic route back towards my room, crossing a few of the bridges.

IMG_7907.jpeg

Since I wanted to enjoy some sun time while the sun was still at its peak, I decided to change quickly and take my food by the pool. I stopped by the main pool called the Dig Site just to check it out. It’s a bit smaller than it looks in photos, but still impressive!

IMG_7908.jpeg

It wasn’t crowded but I wanted a lower key scene, so I headed to the quiet pool by the Cabanas.

The sandy “beach” areas by the Cabanas would be a good option as well!

IMG_7913.jpeg

I enjoyed my lunch at a table by the pool and then laid out for about two hours, soaking up the Florida sunshine while I could. It was so beautiful that day, not too hot with a very light breeze. I rarely spend any time by the pool on Disney trips, so it was nice to relax a bit! (Notice how I never actually got in the pool...it’s the thought that counts! :rotfl:)

I showered and freshened up and wore my cute Marie shirt from HappiestDayCo.

IMG_7918.jpeg

The app said the bus was due in 10 minutes and it arrived in 12, not too bad. For some reason I ended up at Epcot, I’m not sure if I had any real plans or not. Probably not! For anyone who cares, from Cabanas to Epcot took 14 minutes this time.

I picked up a Test Track FP around 5:00, standby was 60 and single rider was 20. FP is so much faster than single rider. Does anyone like my tiny pink car? :hyper:

IMG_7923.jpeg

I picked up an immediate FP for Soarin’ while in line, and the single rider line looked so much longer than the previous night. Lucky me got front row, the best! There was no audio this time, it was so strange without any narration. Not cool! :sad:

After Test Track, I headed over to the UK. Had to get the classic scenic shot on the way including some of the beautiful landscaping of course.

IMG_7926.jpeg

I have spent very little time at Epcot in the early evening, when I go with my mom we usually eat dinner elsewhere on our Epcot days (crazy, right) and go to a different park in the evenings. I had no idea that bands played in the UK pavilion! They were playing Queen and the Beatles, I listened for a few songs and it was so much fun. I hope they bring this back when things are safer again. :cool1:

IMG_7961.jpeg

I snuck back to check out the line for Pooh, and was surprised to see no line. The door was closed and I wasn’t sure if the meet and greet was evening happening. But then I peeked through the glass door and saw Pooh dancing inside with a CM! The CM saw me through the glass door and waved me in!

IMG_7932.jpeg

Pooh dancing to Queen was the cutest thing I’ve seen, I think there aren’t that many kids in the evening or the loud music scares them off, I got to have a nice long visit with Pooh and we danced and had such a fun time. :lovestruc

I was having a blast on my solo trip and moments like these made it that much more special! I think the characters pay extra attention to people that are on their own, very sweet of them!

IMG_7946.jpeg

The CM helped narrate everything Pooh was telling me, so adorable. I think the CM took like 50 photos on my phone (they were not a photopass CM, just an attendant).

IMG_7955.jpeg

This Pooh was soooo friendly and snuggly. Sometimes the characters are very professional and keep a nice bubble of space but this Pooh definitely got close :laughing:. I always have "live" photos on at Disney and looking back at the short video clips in the pictures from this M&G makes me smile every time!

I decided to keep heading around the World Showcase and ended up getting a Frosé in France. A bit pricey but I always see them and oh boy, was this delicious! I believe it’s just a rosé wine slushie, it’s not too sweet and also not strong (so probably a ripoff) but it is so tasty. I could knock back a few if they weren’t so expensive! :drinking1

IMG_7962.jpeg

I saw a photopass CM near the torii (red gate) at the Japan pavilion and had to get a photo since that’s one of my favorite spots at Epcot and I was wearing my cute new t-shirt!

IMG_7963.jpg

She did such an amazing job, I have very few nice pictures like this so I was so excited when they showed up in my MDE and looked so good. It’s a hit or miss with photopass CMs but she was definitely very talented and I was there at the right time of the evening!

The sun started setting and I kept making my way around the WS, such lovely views across the water.

IMG_7965.jpeg

I ended up at the Epcot Experience at the edge of Future World and WS, and had no idea what to expect.

IMG_7969.jpeg

There’s a 360 viewing experience with a model of Epcot in the middle, and it was so awesome!

IMG_7975.jpeg

I’m not sure how long the show is, I probably watched for five minutes and didn’t see the entire thing. My mom couldn’t watch something like this, she always gets too dizzy for circle vision type things :faint:

They previewed a bunch of future experiences such as Ratatouille.

IMG_7977.jpeg

IMG_7980.jpeg

The Mary Poppins part was so lovely! I hope this project still happens!

IMG_7981.jpeg

Disney’s projection technology is just out of this world. I know people knock Epcot (especially Future World) for being outdated, but I think Disney will get there eventually, it just takes time to completely overhaul such a huge theme park!

There were some neat exhibits, including one for Guardians of the Galaxy.

IMG_7984.jpeg

Has anyone seen the ride vehicle previews for the new GotG ride? Looks so incredible, we'll see if we get the ride or the next movie first! :rotfl2:

There is also a wall with a huge Epcot mural, definitely a lot of cool things to see and worth stopping by the Epcot Experience!

IMG_7985.jpeg

Continued in Part Four: Hollywood Studios Evening EMH

Last edited:

The Pooh bear experience looks great 😊
We really liked the Epcot experience. All the new attractions will be amazing!

I can't wait for all of the new rides! I just hope that fastpass comes back again, I'm not sure I would be willing to wait several hours for a new ride! I hear park hopping is coming back in January, so that's a good sign I suppose! :cool1:

Day Five - Part Four: Hollywood Studios Evening EMH

I headed out via the International Gateway a little after 7pm, and the line for the skyliner to the Riviera was only a few minutes long. It was about 8 minutes to the Riviera, and I stayed in my gondola to go on to Caribbean Beach which took another 5 minutes. I got off at CBR and transferred to the Hollywood Studios line, again only a very short line. I was able to pick up a 7:30 FP for ToT, perfect!

I arrived at HS at 7:30 and was in by 7:35, so overall it took about half an hour from leaving Epcot to entering HS. Not too bad, and certainly more scenic and enjoyable than taking the bus! I will say, if you’re afraid of heights, riding the skyliner is spookier at night when it’s dark…:scared1:

As I headed to my ToT FP, I overheard someone saying “that’s the Tower of Doom!!!!”

Wait times were quite low, the park was closing at 8:30 for evening EMH so I think a lot of people were heading out. Fantasmic was also happening at that time, so Slinky was under an hour wait even though the park hadn’t closed yet.

I scanned into ToT at 7:45 and picked up a FP for Star Tours. The boiler room was so warm, which felt nice on a cold evening!

IMG_7989.jpg

I always laugh at the various states of dress in Florida, notice some people wearing t shirts and shorts while others had on down jackets! :rotfl:

I headed to my Star Tours FP next, I don’t always ride this one but there are only so many things to do in HS so I decided to ride that evening!

IMG_7992.jpeg

Standby listed 25 minutes but it was definitely a walk on. The CM let me pick my row, he advised the back row is the most intense so of course that’s where I went!

I’m always nervous I will be the rebel spy, thankfully I was spared :hyper:. This ride is so much longer than I remembered, I think I am getting a bit more sensitive to motion rides like this because I definitely wouldn’t want to ride more than twice in a row. Younger-me probably would have gone 10x in a row!

Runaway Railway was opening the day after I left WDW, it was tough to pass this and know I couldn’t ride! :sad:

IMG_7993.jpeg

I headed to HS to check out Slinky, I love how TSL looks at night.

IMG_7996.jpeg

The park was closing at this point, lots of people were leaving from Fantasmic or heading out of TSL.

IMG_7994.jpeg

At 8:35 the standby for Slinky was 45, and I figured I might as well give it a try! The line moves pretty quickly when there are no FPs! I started nearing the loading area around 9, so I figured I might be able to see some fireworks while riding.

IMG_8001.jpeg

I made it on at 9:08 (just over a 30 minute wait) and indeed did see some fireworks!

IMG_8006.jpeg

Every time I ride I like this coaster more and more. So smooth! It’s a totally different experience at night.

IMG_8011.jpeg

I was getting a bit peckish again so I decided to head over to my favorite place to eat in TSL, enjoying some more fireworks on the way.

IMG_8017.jpeg

The best place in TSL is Woody’s Lunch Box of course! Check out the line! I decided to mobile order and had my food almost immediately.

IMG_8021.jpeg

There was plenty of open seating, during the day it is usually so hard to find a spot. I love the Babybel cheese chairs!

For about $10 I got the adult grilled cheese with tomato soup for dipping. The soup is so good, nice and chunky and full of basil. I think it’s a bit too gourmet for picky kids. :scratchin

IMG_8022.jpeg

This grilled cheese is so perfect, I have seen what goes into it and let’s just say I choose to ignore nutrition facts while on vacation. :laughing:

Next up I decided to explore Galaxy’s Edge for a bit.

IMG_8023.jpeg

It is very dark at night but it adds to the ambiance!

IMG_8024.jpeg

The Smuggler’s Run single rider line was short so I decided to finally ride, this was my third trip to GE and my first time on this ride!

IMG_8025.jpeg

The CM scanning bands for EMH was getting harassed by some people who couldn’t get scanned in and were like “our phone is dead and our party’s ahead, just let us through.” The line of people waiting kept growing and finally the CM just let them pass, I hate people who are like that, I’m sure they just weren’t resort guests. :sad2:

IMG_8031.jpeg

There were maybe three people ahead of me in the single rider line, and I was assigned to be an engineer of course.

IMG_8032.jpeg

IMG_8034.jpeg

I rode with a family and two small children who were the pilots, the little boy couldn’t even reach the lever for light speed, what a waste! :rotfl:

IMG_8037.jpeg

We spent most of the ride crashing into things, I imagine this ride would be the most fun if you are exclusively with a group of friends or family. It was a bit weird being in the back, I felt like I was just along for the ride.

The engineer job feels pretty pointless as well, just slapping some light up buttons. It also takes away from the experience because you can only focus on the buttons or the screen, but not both! I honestly had no idea what was happening and everyone riding with me was equally confused. Maybe it takes a few rides to get a hang of it!

Probably cool for a Star Wars enthusiast, but I was just glad I hadn’t waited very long! At least I knew not to waste a FP on it in the future! :hyper:

I decided to head out at that point, since I had FPs for early in the morning. Of course I explored a bit on my way out, I love the theming of Ronto Roasters.

IMG_8041.jpeg

I had to get a quick picture of Sunset on my way out, I wasn’t sure if I’d be back to HS in the evening and it’s so pretty at night.

IMG_8043.jpeg

I will say, I prefer it during the holiday season! The soap snow! :woohoo: (Much better than real snow, which I have to shovel!)

I swapped out my fuel rod at the 5 and 10 on my way out of the park, still determined to make use of it.

There were maybe 10 people in the bus line for Coronado, always a good sign! I only waited a minute before a bus pulled up, I am definitely a lucky duck.

I thought EMH was definitely worth it, ToT and RnR were both under a 20 minute wait when I left, so you can definitely get most of the rides in during EMH if you don’t have a second dinner like I did.

We were back to my Cabanas bus stop at Coronado by 10:30, and I didn’t take any more notes so I must have been wiped and went straight to bed. It seemed like ages ago, but I had gotten up at 6:40 for RotR, so I started and ended my long day at HS, with some MK and Epcot in between. Park hopping is the best when you’re solo!

My overall step count was 28k, still shy of my 30k record at a Disney park. One day I’ll break that!

Continued in Day Six - Part One: A Second RotR and Yak and Yeti Lunch

Last edited:
Day Six - Part One: A Second RotR and Yak and Yeti Lunch

Hi all, sorry for the delay! I hope you are finding this TR somewhat entertaining, I am clearly losing steam writing this TR but I am hoping to wrap this up in 2020 since I only have a few more posts planned! Thanks for tagging along with me for so long! :laughing:

Despite being the most anti-morning person ever, I decided I wanted to ride RotR a second time. With the park opening at 8 again, I left my room at 7:03 in an attempt to take the bus to HS since it’s so close to Coronado.

There were quite a few people at the Cabanas stop, though there was also AK morning EMH that morning. The HS bus times were “unavailable” which already had me thinking about taking an Uber. :scratchin

A full HS bus passed our stop and I took that as my sign and opened the Uber app and started walking to Gran Destino tower to be picked up. I overheard another couple at the bus stop decide to call an Uber as well, as the crowd waiting for a HS bus grew.

I called the Uber at 7:20 and it was listed as 7 minutes away and $11, and since I got up early there was no way I was going to miss my chance for a boarding pass over that measly amount! I was in my Uber by 7:29 with an estimated 7:46 arrival time at HS, a bit later than my 7:30 arrival the day before.

There was a much longer gate into HS than the day before where we went right through, it was maybe a dozen cars deep this time, despite me being in my Uber only 10 minutes closer to park opening! It took about five minutes to get through the entrance gate and there was a bit of a back up at the rideshare drop off, but I was out of the car by 7:45.

There were way longer lines at security this morning, but I was still through in only five minutes.

IMG_8047.jpeg

They did not have the finger scan to speed things up, so I was into the park by 7:53. So glad I didn’t wait for the bus or I definitely would have missed park opening! ::yes::

I headed to the same spot on Sunset across from Anaheim produce, since my signal seemed to be strongest there. I had about 70mbps on my regular 4G Verizon LTE!

IMG_8049.jpeg

I had the same strategy as the day before, not trying to join a boarding group until a few seconds after 8:00:00. I think I hesitated maybe an extra second and still ended up with boarding group 8!

IMG_8048.png

Thoroughly proud of myself for a second successful morning, I decided to head into Galaxy’s Edge for some breakfast. I was tempted by a breakfast Ronto wrap, but I’m not a big morning eater so I decided to mobile order the overnight oats from Ronto Roasters instead.

There was quite a line to order, and since I mobile ordered I was able to pick up my oats immediately. Now that everything is mobile order, I suppose the secret is out!

IMG_8051.jpeg

The overnights oats were $7 and were actually so delicious! There’s a nice amount of fresh fruit and popping boba, and the oats were not too sweet. I have tried making overnight oats and it’s always a fail, these were not mushy at all and had a bit more bite like steel cut oats, which I prefer. It’s definitely a tiny portion but I was satisfied since breakfast food can often be so heavy and makes me want to crawl back into bed!

I did some people watching while eating my oats, the line for Smuggler’s Run extended way outside the queue.

IMG_8054.jpeg

After my experience being piloted by small children the night before, I just cannot imagine waiting in a long line for that ride unless I was with a big enough group to ride without random people!

Luckily, my boarding group was called at 8:38. I believe we were the first group called! I couldn’t believe I had been so lucky two days in a row! :woohoo:

I scanned in at 8:41, feeling like a celebrity again.

IMG_8056.jpeg

I keep saying I will watch all of the Star Wars movies but I think I have been saying this for 10 years. Maybe next year!

IMG_8057.jpeg

I don’t think I really listened during any of the preshow stuff, I was too busy taking pictures and admiring things. Oops!

I stood on the other end of the transport ship this time for a different view.

IMG_8060.jpeg

The side with Bek (I had to look this up) is way better, so take a right when you go in!

IMG_8061.jpeg

This time I was prepared to exit the ship and enter the hangar!

IMG_8064.jpeg

Like I said previously, first off means unobstructed photos! You have to be quick though!

IMG_8065.jpeg

You feel very rushed the whole time, it adds to the experience that’s for sure!

IMG_8069.jpeg

It’s just crazy to think that Disney put this together, next time I ride RotR I will make sure to look UP in this room because it is just massive and I’m sure there are so many details I missed.

IMG_8073.jpeg

The perk of being in one of the earlier boarding groups is I think you have a better chance of a smooth experience without delays. It’s meant to be a cohesive experience, and I think waiting even a few minutes would really take you out of the immersion.

I ended up in the back row, again! Oh well!

IMG_8074.jpeg

I was on the right side instead of the left this time, so I had a different viewing angle. I think I preferred the right side but perhaps I just enjoyed it better the second time!

IMG_8075.jpeg

There is so much to look at during this ride and it happens so quickly, so I recommend trying to ride multiple times during a trip if you can swing it!

IMG_8081.jpeg

I was off the ride by 9:01, so it’s about a 20 minute experience in a perfect world with no delays! Hats off to the Imagineers on this one, I was sure glad I got up early for a second ride!

Next up, I headed to my ToT FP. I scanned in at 9:25 and standby was 60 minutes already, the morning wait times can be quite brutal at HS!

IMG_8090.jpeg

I ended up sitting next to a group of teen girls on a dance trip, they all had matching pink sweaters! It was funny because I also had on a pink top, and we laughed about matching!

IMG_8091.jpg

Our elevator dropped instead of launching, I guess I didn’t realize there were so many variations. I much prefer being dropped, it fits with the story so much better!

Also, I had never noticed the doll in the basement before. Creepy!!! :scared1:

Next up was my TSM FP, so off to TSL I went! I got so much better at knowing my way around WDW with two trips only a few months apart!

IMG_8093.jpeg

I scanned in at 9:51 and standby was also an hour, and I was on by 9:59. This time I sat on the left to see if that would help me at all. I tried to follow some tricks I looked up and I think I just did even worse. :hyper:

IMG_8095.jpeg

My finally HS FP was for Slinky of course, I finally managed to get one of these FPs! Usually they are gone when I am making FP selections, though when FPs come back, maybe Runaway Railway will make it easier to get a Slinky FP.

IMG_8098.jpeg

I was a bit too early for my FP so I had to waste about 20 minutes! I must have been tired because I ended up sitting on the end of a bench instead of wandering around. A family stopped by the bench and was staring and the mom was like “those people are so rude, sitting on the bench like that so others have to sit between them.” First of all, what?! I would have been happy to slide over if sitting between strangers is that terrible for them, but if they don’t want to sit right next to strangers why do they think I would want to do that either? :rotfl:

I made eye contact so she knew I heard her and she quickly hustled her family away! Just Disney drama! :hyper:
Finally it was time for Slinky! I scanned it a few minutes before my 10:35 FP due to the 5 minute early grace period. Standby was a whopping 140 minutes at 10:30!

IMG_8097.jpeg

I lucked out and ended up getting pulled ahead in line since a CM saw I was a single rider. I had to practically jump over multiple kids to get to the front of the line though, so sometimes I question whether it really is worth being given the special solo treatment...

At 10:38 I was on in the very back row, and it’s a caboose with no one directly in front!

I had so much fun as usual, I love when the slinky goes backwards to launch at the GO signs! I think it is actually a bit more fun during the day than at night, especially on a nice day like I had with beautiful blue skies! It’s almost a relaxing experience if you can believe that!

I had plans to head to AK for lunch at Yak & Yeti, since I got a Landry card and had yet to try that restaurant. I picked up an afternoon FP for Everest but decided to switch to a Dinosaur FP since Everest has single rider. However, I refreshed once more, and hit the jackpot!

IMG_8101.png

Of course I snagged the 1:05 FoP! I figured I could have lunch and then make it to FoP at the end of the FP window. Who wouldn’t want to go on a simulator ride right after lunch? :rolleyes1

I headed to the bus back to Coronado since it’s so close to HS, and I probably wanted to change or something before lunch. I was at the bus stop at 11:05 and a bus arrived at 11:16, I suppose I can only walk onto a bus so many times before my incredible luck runs out!

Unfortunately, I came back to my Magical Express information, boohoo it really is the worst thing to see on vacation. :sad:

IMG_8104.jpeg

Of course my flight info was wrong, so I put it in my backpack to make sure to stop by the front desk at the end of the day. It was quite warm that day so I changed into a tank and then headed off to the bus stop to head to AK.

While I was waiting for a bus at 11:56, of course two HS busses came by within a minute of each other. Where were those buses that morning!

I also noticed there are some buses that are labeled to stop at individual stops at Coronado only, such as Cabanas or El Centro buses. I wonder if they do that when certain stops are really busy, who knows!

A bus finally arrived going to AK at 12:11, it was 15 minutes but it felt like forever compared to my short waits so far on that trip! We arrived to AK at 12:27 and the bus was almost full, apparently a lot of other people like half days at AK as well.

IMG_8105.jpeg

I made my way over to Yak & Yeti, which was totally popping! Lots of people were going in and then leaving after being told it would be at least an hour wait.

I checked in around 12:39 with no ADR and flashed my Landry card, and was quoted a 15 minute wait. If you are not familiar, a Landry card is $25 membership (one time fee) and you immediately get a $25 credit as well as an annual $25 credit for your birthday. Well worth it if you eat at one of their restaurants even once! You get priority seating without reservations, which is excellent for a busy day at AK.

I noticed a few others check in after me with a Landry card, so it definitely isn’t a secret. Shortly after I sat down to wait, I was called to be seated. I maybe waited two minutes! I imagine they don’t fill the two person tables as often, so larger parties may wait a bit longer.

My table was upstairs which was nice and quiet.

IMG_8107.jpeg

The menu has a story of the restaurant, which as you can imagine fits in well with Expedition Everest!

IMG_8106.jpeg

I ordered a passion fruit Everest refresher (aka sparking water) since it was warm and I was feeling something fancier than my usual water. Since my eyes are always bigger than my stomach, I ordered the lobster garlic noodles and a plain salad on the side. I was eying the potstickers and firecracker shrimp but decided that would be a bit too much for just myself.

The drink was okay, it was not too sweet but it didn't really taste like passion fruit at all. Next time I would try lychee!

My waiter was super friendly, he was in the college program and was pretty busy with some bigger tables but he apologized profusely and I didn’t mind since I was on my own time this trip! I didn’t get my order in until I had been seated for almost 20 minutes, so if you are in a rush I would recommend quick service.

Yak & Yeti is such a big restaurant, I would be curious to see what the seating downstairs looks like. While waiting, I changed my FoP FP to a 2:15 safari since I was close to the safari and I didn’t think I would make it to FoP in time. No big deal since I have ridden it so many times!

My waiter chatted with me for a bit and thought it was neat that I had an AP while being from MN! He talked about being blocked out from HS due to RotR, but he was riding Runaway Railway in two days for CM previews! I really appreciated the conversation, since you miss out on that a lot during solo trips!

My food arrived at 1:22, the salad greens were very fresh with a nice tangy Asian-inspired dressing.

IMG_8108.jpeg

I shouldn’t have ordered it though because the lobster garlic noodle dish was massive!

IMG_8110.jpeg

Don’t let the plating deceive you, there was a ton of seafood hiding under the parmesan.

IMG_8111.jpeg

Oh my goodness, this was so delicious. It was really quite simple, basically a lo mein noodle dish but it had huge mushrooms and was jam packed with seafood, and this is coming from the girl who can put away half a dozen plates of crab legs at Cape May Cafe.

I will say, the wooden chairs here were not comfy and I had been sitting for so long that my joints were starting to ache. Or maybe it was the five and a half straight days of back to back theme park rides!

The scallops were a bit rubbery and overcooked but still tasted good, the shrimp were large and juicy though! I noticed a whole clove of cooked garlic (and did not eat it), but did not find the dish overly garlicky at all, though you will taste it later! The lobster was really delicious even though it was claw meat.

Somehow I managed to eat all of the seafood and probably 3/4 of the noodles. You could definitely split this! In my notes I said I regretted not wearing shorts with a stretchy waistband! :rotfl:

You can’t get credit for Landry points and use your AP discount, so I just used my AP discount to save 10%. My drink was around $4 and the noodles were $31, so the meal was a little under $50 altogether, with my AP discount. A pricier meal but a nice break from theme park food and my waiter was so nice and made me feel really comfortable dining alone at a TS!

I left Yak and Yeti around 2pm, so I actually would have made my original FoP FP, but was definitely glad I switched it to the safari given how full I was. Plus, I was in no state to trek all the way to Pandora!

IMG_8112.jpeg

Continued in Part Two: Safari, Maharajah Jungle Trek, and HEA

Last edited:
Day Six - Part Two: Safari, Maharajah Jungle Trek, and HEA

I trudged along to the safari, as great as solo travel is, my stomach and my wallet definitely missed sharing meals!

I scanned in at 2:11 and standby was 95, definitely not as bad as I’ve seen it other times. The FP line was backed up all the way to the entrance, and ended up taking longer than usual.

IMG_8113.jpeg

While I was in line, I picked up a 2:25 Everest FP with hardly any refreshing. I was in row two of my safari vehicle after about 20 minutes, so a longer wait than usual but still beats standby!

One of the birds gave us a stare down as we drove by.

IMG_8120.jpeg

The hippos were awake and eating, I think this was the first time I’ve seen them doing anything other than float around!

The painted dogs were awake as well, and were making these sounds that the CM called “chirping.”

IMG_8124.jpeg

I saw the baby zebra again, so cute! I didn’t get a picture but there was a baby eland as well.

IMG_8130.jpeg

Also, I learned that Rafiki is a mandrill and not a baboon. My life is a lie! :sad:

I think I also determined that there are multiple paths the CMs can drive down depending on where there are good animal sightings, which is probably why I remember some safaris looking very different than others.

IMG_8142.jpeg

Overall a nice safari, I will never get tired of this ride! As I was getting off, I overheard a mom telling her kids they were going to “Pizzasauraus” for dinner. I wonder if they went to Pizzafari or Restaurantosaurus! :scratchin

The waits and crowds were much lower this day than when I was at AK earlier during the trip, probably the weekend difference since this was on a Monday!

IMG_8144.jpeg

I decided to do the Maharajah Jungle Trek, which my mom and I had never made the time to do before (or were too tired to do before…)

IMG_8146.jpeg

The first area you go through is the bat area! You can skip it, if you’d like.

IMG_8147.jpeg

Bat wings look so delicate, if I had a superpower it would definitely be flying!

The jungle trek is rather quiet, or at least it was that day. I interrupted one couple's make out sesh when I turned a corner. :crazy2:

IMG_8148.jpeg

Lots of good artsy photo op spots!

IMG_8149.jpeg

There were so many beautiful murals and carvings, a lot of detail everywhere.

IMG_8151.jpeg

IMG_8152.jpeg

IMG_8153.jpeg

This would be a great place to escape from the crowds.

IMG_8156.jpeg

I couldn’t believe I had never been back here before, I highly recommend everyone check this out!

IMG_8157.jpeg

IMG_8158.jpeg

Towards the end there is a bird area, and a CM was feeding them “super worms” which they clearly loved.

IMG_8169.jpeg

Overall, I think the Jungle Trek takes maybe half an hour to an hour, depending on how quickly you go through the areas. It’s easy to overlook, which is what we’ve usually done!

I headed to my Everest FP next, stopping at one of my favorite photo spots.

IMG_8171.jpeg

There was a crazy long line for ice cream since it was a warm day after a several day cold spell!

IMG_8174.jpeg

I scanned in at 3:30 when standby was 65 minutes, and single rider was listed a as a whopping 30 minutes. Glad I had a FP!

IMG_8175.jpeg

While in line, I snagged a Navi FP for 4:20. I was having great luck that day! I saw a 4:55 Navi FP as well, so this is a case where two people could easily find overlapping FPs to ride together!

When I was almost up, two girls travelling together were in the single rider line, and one of them ended up with me. I was very nice and offered to swap with the other girl so they could ride together!

IMG_8176everest.jpg

I had some time before my Navi FP, so I went to check out Dinosaur. It was listed as 35 but the CM was calling out to everyone that it was only 15. Score!

IMG_8178.jpeg

Well turns out it was a total walk on right into the video room!

I ended up in the back row, which seemed way more intense to me! I was not at all prepared for the camera, so I will save that photo for myself.

Of course, as soon as I got off I decided to go right back in line again. There was a bit more of a line (word travels fast), but I waited under 15 minutes to get back into the video room.

While waiting, I switched my 4:20 Navi FP for a 5:00 FoP FP! Woot!

I got pulled up to the front of the line when a CM asked for a party of two and there were none, so I raised my hand and she let me go ahead. Pro tip for solo travelers, there aren’t many parties of two either so they’ll take parties of one as well!
The middle row is not nearly as fun as the back, I was right that the back is the most thrilling!

This time, I was ready for the camera, but of course I didn't get my picture :sad:

I meandered my way over to Pandora, taking my time since I was a bit early for my FP.

IMG_8179.jpeg

Pandora is just so beautiful, I think I prefer it during the day but it is spectacular at night as well.

IMG_8183.jpeg

There are so many little paths you can take around the land, it’s not a huge area but there’s still plenty to see.

IMG_8189.jpeg

It was really nice to slow down on this trip and take in all of these details!

IMG_8190.jpeg

I scanned in early to FoP at 4:56 due to the 5 minute early grace period window! Standby was only 130, I would never wait that long but that’s much better than the 3+ hour waits it often has!

Before going to the inside part of the queue, I lingered in the outside portion of the queue to snap some photos and get another FP.

IMG_8193.jpeg

I decided to go to MK for the evening to catch HEA for the first time that trip. Usually I prioritize HEA a bit more, but just a few months prior I went to a HEA dessert party and I knew nothing else would compare, so I almost didn’t see it this trip to avoid the disappointment!

I grabbed a 6:15 space mountain and saw tons of other FPs available before 6, including Pooh, Pirates and Splash. It’s like all of the crowds just disappeared now that the weekend was over! I believe it was the Princess HM weekend the prior weekend, so perhaps there had been some stragglers that stayed throughout the week after the race weekend, and they were gone now as well.

The AC felt so good when I entered the indoor portion of the FoP queue, and I also noticed this funny sign (sorry it’s so blurry).

IMG_8194.jpeg

I wonder if there are more signs like this in the regular queue, I have only done the FP queue!

I was pulled ahead again as a single rider and made it through the pre-shows and onto the ride by 5:13. This time I was in seat 8 in the left chamber. It was so much better than my previous ride, I think I was more centered and that makes a huge difference for the immersion, since I think I was on the edge last time. I couldn’t stop smiling even though I’ve ridden FoP many times! :flower:

Feeling a bit hungry, I decided to try the very popular night blossom from Pongu Pongu!

This is a slushy described as “layers of Apple and Desert Pear Limeade topped with Passion Fruit Boba Balls” and is served with a wide paper straw.

IMG_8197.jpeg

The lime is tart, and it was nice and refreshing on a hot day. Very similar to a slushy I had from Bengal BBQ in Disneyland! I enjoyed this but it was a bit too sweet for me to finish the entire thing, I’d prefer to share it in the future.

Since I now had a Space Mountain FP, I made my way to the buses and literally ran to make it onto a very full bus that was heading to MK. We left MK at 5:50 and were dropped off at MK at 6:10.

(Continued in next post)

I believe MK had an After Hours event that night, and so wait times at MK were growing as those guests were arriving for their early park entry.

I scanned into SM at 6:22 and standby had jumped up to 70 minutes. The FP line is such a workout, it’s such a long queue to walk through! It was so hot in there, I always end up shedding layers. :worship:

I made a 7:05 Pooh FP while waiting, and ended up in the back row at 6:29. Ugh, the back row is such a headbanger! This was the point in the trip when I started realizing my body was not enjoying being put through so many roller coasters in one week. Has anyone done any studies on long term affects of riding so many rides in a short period of time? Oh well, only one more day! :hyper:

IMG_8200.jpeg

This is where I sat for the HEA garden fireworks party! Such an amazing view, highly recommend if they bring them back.

IMG_8198.jpeg

After Space Mountain, I had a brain fart and tried to scan into Pooh but I was way too early. More evidence I was not doing my body any good with so many rides!

Too impatient to wait, I swapped my Pooh FP for a Pirates FP. I scanned in at 7:07 and standby was only 35 minutes, the wait times were dropping quickly since fireworks were at 8. A very quick FP line, I was on by 7:15.

IMG_8201.jpg

I look so sad and alone in that picture! :rotfl:

Another night mode photo, such a fun camera feature to get photos in the dark without flash!

IMG_8203.jpeg

I wanted a snack during HEA, so I decided to get some fries at Casey’s. Check out the long line out the door!

IMG_8205.jpeg

Well, I mobile ordered and there is a separate entrance and waiting area for mobile orders, with barely any wait!

IMG_8206.jpeg

Wow, the hot dogs they sell there are HUGE! Look at these sad fries...

IMG_8210.jpeg

I took my sad basket of fries (these were like $4, robbery!) and found a stone wall around a tree to sit on, right across from the bridge by Crystal palace and the Adventureland entrance.

IMG_8212.jpeg

I overheard someone asking “is there a parade going on or something?”

IMG_8249.jpeg

It was really nice to sit during Happily Ever After, you can’t see the projections but the fireworks view was nice and I hate fighting the crowds for a good view. I know all of the words to HEA now, and I almost cry every time!

IMG_8231.jpeg

After the fireworks, I cut through Casey’s through the Emporium to get out faster and avoid the crowds on my way out. Of course, I got rammed in the heel by a stroller, there’s really no avoiding that!

IMG_8254.jpeg

I got to the bus stop around 8:30 and an empty bus was just starting to load, so I figured I’d make it onto the next bus. Well, another bus pulled up at 8:36 as the first bus took off, incredible! We left MK back to Coronado at 8:43, my fastest exit post-fireworks yet!

We arrived to Gran Destino Tower at 9:11 which is the first stop. There must have been some traffic getting out, as the driver took a very different route than usual.

I headed to the front desk to fix my Magical Express information since it had the wrong flight. The CM printed out my new paperwork and I had a 4:55pm pickup for my 8:55 flight. Big nope! I was definitely going to take an Uber, I like being to the airport early but not THAT early.

Since I hadn’t really had dinner (due to my huge lunch at Yak & Yeti) it was finally time to rectify that! I browsed through the snacks at the little shop, can you believe the price of the little single serving fruit cups?

IMG_8258.jpeg

I ended up getting the chicken alfredo which quite frankly was awful and very dry.

IMG_8270.jpeg

I know it was late at night, but I recommend sticking to red sauce for your pasta at the resort quick service locations...I think I managed to eat half before giving up and tossing it in the bin. Bummer!

The walk back to my room from the tower at night is so peaceful at Coronado, it is just such a gorgeous resort at night. It's very open (as opposed to Riverside, which felt more hidden in the middle of nature) and you can see the stars!

IMG_8262.jpeg

I came back to a nice surprise from Mousekeeping, I always write thank you notes on cute stationary before I go on my trips and leave on the bed with a few bucks each night, here is a typical note I leave:

IMG_8266.jpeg

They thanked me back, such a fun thing to come back to after a long day in the parks!

IMG_8269.jpeg

Since I checked out of Coronado the next morning, I spent about two hours packing since I’m very annoying about how I pack things. #overpackerprobs

Also, I had to be strategic and pack my carry on as well, since I would be leaving it with bell services and needed to leave room to stuff my park gear in before heading to the airport the next evening.

I finally made it to bed around midnight, let’s be real even when I’m not on vacation my days are still similar to 7am to midnight.

27k steps for Day Six! I don't know how some people do 40k, my feet would fall right off!

Continued in Day Seven - Part One: A Classic Ride-Filled MK Morning

Last edited:
What great luck with FastPass!
I truly hope they eventually bring FP+ back... when you know how to work the system, it makes for a very exciting « game » and lets you ride so much more if you are open to different rides!
Enjoying your trip report, it brings back wonderful memories (especially since I have no idea when I will be back...)

What great luck with FastPass!
I truly hope they eventually bring FP+ back... when you know how to work the system, it makes for a very exciting « game » and lets you ride so much more if you are open to different rides!
Enjoying your trip report, it brings back wonderful memories (especially since I have no idea when I will be back...)
I hope they bring it back too, it would not be as fun if I had to wait half an hour for every ride by myself! It definitely became a game to me, I should tally up how many rides I got in during this trip 😂

Thanks so much for following along! I’m hoping I can go back again next December but who knows at this point, all I know is that next trip I am planning on going big for sure, we are thinking about Yacht Club!

I’m so glad you spent time on the trails. We love doing this. We have fun exploring and have learned some interesting things from the CM’s on the trails.
Andi and I always share the night blossom, it is a must on a hot day.
Love the FP grab after the first 3, it can be so nice for 1-2 people to get some good ones.
I think it will be hard for us without it. We love FP+

I’m so glad you spent time on the trails. We love doing this. We have fun exploring and have learned some interesting things from the CM’s on the trails.
Andi and I always share the night blossom, it is a must on a hot day.
Love the FP grab after the first 3, it can be so nice for 1-2 people to get some good ones.
I think it will be hard for us without it. We love FP+

I’m excited to go back and do the trails with my mom! I think there are still a few we haven’t done, AK is just so massive! The CMs there are all so knowledgeable, somehow I still manage to learn new things every trip!

Day Seven - Part One: A Classic Ride-Filled MK Morning

It was check out day with a late evening flight, but I was determined to get in almost a full park day to make the best of it!

I had morning FPs for Haunted Mansion, 7DMT, and Big Thunder. Luckily I packed the night before, so I was able to leave my room around 8:30 to send my luggage off with airline check-in. Such a great perk to not have to lug your checked bags to the airport! I left my carryon with bell services to retrieve that evening.

Bye Cabanas, you were great!

IMG_8272.jpeg

I noticed that my HM FP turned into an anytime FP before the park even opened, which means it probably was going to be down all day! Bummer! Luckily, as I learned from my last trip, this meant I could make an additional FP while keeping the anytime FP as well. I snagged a 1:05 FP for Peter Pan! :woohoo:

The bus came to the Gran Destino bus stop around 9:00, and we were dropped off at 9:16.

On the bus to MK, I overheard someone say they got in line for Flight of Passage the prior day and the line said 2.5 hours but they only waited 50 minutes. I guess those wait times really don’t mean anything!

There were so many rides down at MK including HM, Splash, 7DMT, and the Carousel! The bag check line was crazy long since the park had just opened, and it took me 20 minutes to get into the park!

IMG_8273.jpeg

The Buzz line listed 10 minutes but looked much longer since everyone rushed there.

I headed back to the Little Mermaid instead, since it tends to be a bit quieter at the back of the park.

IMG_8274.jpeg

I got in line at 9:47 and standby said 5 minutes but I walked straight on. Everyone else is too busy riding the headliners right away!

IMG_8275.jpeg

This ride is old but still cute, I love the music so much. I’m excited for the new live action version, it will be interesting how they do it!

IMG_8278.jpeg

Multiple people were taking flash photos and videos during this ride, ugh! :sad2:

I noticed that the Buzz wait time jumped to 50 minutes, seemed more accurate! Lots of lines all over MK with so many rides down.

IMG_8279.jpeg

It was breakfast time, so I decided to try Gaston’s Tavern and get the famous cinnamon roll, with extra icing of course.

IMG_8280.jpeg

The roll was huge and around $6, the extra icing was warm but the roll itself was not warm at all and the icing on it was hard. My expectations weren’t that high since a lot of people say this is very dry, to which I strongly concur!

IMG_8281.jpeg

This was nothing like an ooey gooey Cinnabon roll, it was dry and hard and not soft and flaky in any way. Big disappointment, and definitely not salvageable even with the tiny extra cup of icing they will give you if you ask. I think if they were served warm it would help, but honestly I think they need to completely redo the recipe.

At 10:13, my 10:25 7DMT FP turned into another multi experience FP. So, I made yet another FP to replace 7DMT and decided on Pooh! Also, the Buzz line jumped up to 85 minutes. Wowza!

I scanned into Pooh, and standby was up to 45 minutes but again looked way longer. While waiting, I was able to move up my BTMR FP to 11:10 with no trouble, I think people were bailing on MK since so many rides were down. I did notice that Splash went back up though, hooray!

After about a 10 minute wait, I got front row for Pooh, phew! It’s so much less awkward in the front row, when solo I just feel like a 3rd wheel when I’m in the back! :hyper:

IMG_8283.jpeg

I will never get tired of this ride, I can’t wait until the day I get to ride the Tokyo version!

IMG_8286.jpeg

After Pooh, I headed to Splash along with what seemed like half of the park. 7DMT opened as well, things were turning around!

I used one of my anytime FPs and scanned in at 10:53 when standby was 55. I was on by 11, unfortunately in the front row! The ride stalled before starting, and we had a very start and stop journey that took over 20 minutes!

IMG_8288.jpeg

The music for Splash is so catchy, a very fun and slightly creepy ride for sure! The anticipation is the scariest part!

IMG_8289.jpeg

I got splashed pretty good, not as bad as last time when I was in the front row though. It was so nice that morning, warm but not humid. It was going to be hard to head back home to snowy and cold MN!

I scanned into BTMR around 11:28 with a 55 minute standby. The line was huge, everyone probably was using an anytime FP!

IMG_8292.jpeg

Both the Splash and BTMR standbys jumped up to 90 minutes, not a good day to be in MK without FPs! I think only one side of BTMR was open and there were quite a few delays, it took almost 20 minutes even in the FP line.

I had a wild ride as usual, such a fun coaster. I always try to look at the goat but it never seems to make a difference for me!

I moved my BOG lunch to another day and cancelled it, it was so nice out that I wanted to eat outside. I ended up mobile ordering from Aloha Isle and got a raspberry dole whip swirl for $5.

IMG_8293.jpeg

This was so delicious, even better than the plain pineapple version! I found a bench in the sun near Jungle Cruise and basked in the warmth, listening to the Skipper jokes. Wow, I miss Disney so much! :sad:

Since my 7DMT FP turned into anytime, I was still able to use the anytime FP on it. I got into the FP line at 12:37 when standby was a whopping 170 minutes!

IMG_8295.jpeg

I made it on in 10 minutes, I’d like to see the regular queue for this ride as well. I was in the second row, and it’s much milder in the front compared to the back, though that’s not saying a lot since this coaster is definitely geared towards the kiddos!

Next up was my last FP for Peter Pan, at 1:00 the standby was 70 minutes. I checked available FPs and I could have had an immediate FP for pretty much anything including Space Mountain and Pirates. Haunted Mansion was sadly still down, good thing I already rode earlier in the week!

IMG_8299.jpeg

Peter Pan is another ride where I love the music, or maybe I just love all Disney music! :laughing:

IMG_8301.jpeg

I'm excited to see the new paint job on the castle, this was my last trip with the old colors!

IMG_8302.jpeg

The morning crowd was definitely thinning out, and I decided to head out to Hollywood Studios to close out my solo trip.

IMG_8311.jpeg

I ran to try and make the HS bus but was turned away, the worst! I ended up waiting another 15 minutes for the next bus to come, it always feels so much longer when you’re solo! :worship:

IMG_8313.jpeg

We left MK around 1:50 and arrived at HS at 2:03. It was definitely quiet at HS!

IMG_8314.jpeg

Continued in Part Two: Brown Derby Lounge and Goodbye WDW

Last edited:
Day Seven - Part Two: Brown Derby Lounge and Goodbye WDW!

I headed to the Brown Derby Lounge right away, eager to try the famous Cobb salad! It was a little awkward figuring out how to be seated, but I was able to flag someone down and didn’t have to wait and was seated in this lovely spot.

IMG_8319.jpeg

It was quite a peaceful spot here, I do find myself enjoying the leisurely meals at WDW a lot more now that I am more of a ride veteran!

Here was the menu of the day, most of it was listed in the MDE menu but the tuna poke was not listed online so I was excited to try those in addition to the salad.

IMG_8323.jpeg

My server was really nice, although I think they are always extra nice to solo travellers!

When my food was brought out, the guy was like “all for you?” :rolleyes1

IMG_8320.jpeg

The tuna poke was a huge serving, with delicious crispy wonton chips and a soy ginger glaze with a bit of kick. The tuna was just okay, I’ve definitely had fresher tuna but there were so many flavors that it was fine. I loved the spicy peppers on top! If you’re spice-averse, I’d skip this one. I’d definitely get it again, preferably to share!

The salad is a smaller portion of the Cobb salad they serve in the normal Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant. It’s more of a side salad or appetizer portion, not big enough to split.

IMG_8321.jpeg

I ordered mine sans blue cheese, I am a very adventurous eater but stinky/earthy cheeses are the one thing I just cannot bring myself to enjoy. This salad was so perfect for me because I love everything chopped up so I can get every flavor in each bite.

It was served with some sort of sweet cracker that I thought was a bit weird. I had the dressing on the side (I forget if it came that way or not) but I ended up using most of it because it was so good. This salad was a nice snack but would definitely not be enough for a meal (for me).

Overall this was a nice and light and very refreshing lunch! I will definitely go back to the Brown Derby lounge in the future, and will probably try some of the drinks next time. :thumbsup2

I headed over to ToT around 3pm and standby was only 25 minutes, so I made a FP for 3:10 to ride it again after going through standby! It ended up being a walk-on right into the elevator.

IMG_8326tot.jpg

The second time, I ended up in the front row finally! It was a totally different ride sequence, I should look up how many different ones there are because I haven’t figured it out yet!

I was able to pick up an Alien Swirling Saucers FP, which I had not tried yet. The standby was 30 minutes at 4PM, and Slinky was at 70 minutes. So a pretty slow day at HS on a Tuesday! ToT had jumped up to 70, so everyone must have rushed there when the wait time was only 25.

IMG_8328.jpeg

This was a lot more fun that I expected, almost like a more mild tilt-a-whirl. It loads very slowly, so I would never wait in standby for this.

IMG_8329.jpeg

Look at this adorable backpack! Cuter than the Yoda one I saw earlier this trip!

IMG_8327.jpeg

Of course I had to head to Galaxy’s Edge one last time.

IMG_8332.jpeg

Even though I barely know any of the characters, it’s fun seeing them interact with the guests.

IMG_8333.jpeg

Time for a snack even though I just had lunch! I headed to the Blue Milk stand, which is becoming my regular treat in Galaxy’s Edge.

IMG_8334.jpeg

I mobile ordered even though there wasn’t really a line, and waited for a few minutes and no milk! I went up and they missed my order, oops...good thing I asked!

IMG_8340.jpeg

I love the blue milk so much, it’s definitely a rip off at $8 (it should definitely only be $5) but it is a novelty. I love fruity candy and it’s basically a fruity candy smoothie! :drinking1

IMG_8339.jpeg

I said farewell to Galaxy’s Edge and headed back to TSL, so nice when the path between them is open.

IMG_8343.jpeg

Since I needed to be back to the hotel by around 6 to catch my flight, I wasn’t able to pick up any good FPs. The Slinky standby was only 50 minutes at 4:30 so I decided to go for it. The line looked shorter than during EMH but of course FPs slow down the line.

IMG_8348.jpeg

Passing the stickers means you’re almost to the front of the line!

I made it onto row 4 after a 40 minute wait, I was so glad I decided to wait. I wouldn’t wait that long for a ride more than once per day while traveling alone, but for the last ride of the trip it was well worth it.

The weather was so perfect, warm with blue skies! I couldn't stop smiling while enjoying my last ride on Slinky. So hard to leave that for snowy MN!

I left HS at 5:25 and ran to the bus since I saw one waiting. The driver waited for me, phew!

IMG_8350.jpeg

The AC felt so good after my little jog. :laughing: We were back to Gran Destino Tower by 5:47, perfect timing. I went and got my carry on from bell services and repacked a bit in the lobby! There are so many chairs and quiet areas to sit in the lobby, and even some nice spots to work.

IMG_8351.jpeg

I requested my Lyft at 6:18 and they arrived at 6:22. It was $31 to MCO pre-tip. $31 was definitely worth an extra 90 minutes at the parks instead of at the airport!

My driver was playing a Disney radio station and her husband worked at Jiko, so we chatted the entire ride about Disney! She dropped me off at MCO at 6:53, so overall only a 30 minute ride. So much faster than the Magical Express.

I entered security at 7:00 and was through by 7:10, I’ve always been lucky at MCO but I also only go to WDW during lower crowds, so that’s probably part of it.

I got one last ride in for the trip, the MCO “People Mover” fake monorail :hyper:

The food options are so dismal, I always do a lot of walking back and forth as if I’m going to find a better option! I ended up getting some chicken tenders from Nathan’s (somehow I think I avoided getting any at WDW) and some hot water to make my ramen from Mitsukoshi!

IMG_8352.jpeg

IMG_8354.jpeg

The tenders were very average, but the ramen was pretty good! I don’t think it was a very authentic tonkotsu flavor, it tasted more like a creamy chicken broth.

IMG_8356.jpeg

It was a small step up from the cheap grocery store ramen, I would get it again. Probably nice to get those at the start of your trip and keep in the room for a late night snack.

I boarded around 8:30 for my 8:55 flight, perks of the Delta credit card even though I usually book economy. I was able to switch to a window seat earlier that day!

IMG_8357.jpeg

My screen worked this time, thank goodness! The seats felt roomier as well, I had plenty of room for my short legs!

IMG_8359.jpeg

We lifted off at 8:58, not bad at all! There were so many good movies available, I thought about watching Parasite or rewatching Frozen 2 but I ended up falling asleep instead, I was wiped! :faint:

The plane was nice and quiet except for this one family behind me, the mom kept ordering her kid to do things, even turn on her air for her. :sad2:

My notes say there was a lot of coughing on the plane and on the buses at WDW, which at the time I wasn’t concerned about but now in hindsight is much more concerning. I’m very thankful I did not get sick during this trip! :worship:

I love watching the city lights come into view when landing.

IMG_8361.jpeg

We landed after about 3 hours and 10 minutes, and I was off the plane another 20 minutes after that.

IMG_8362.jpg

It was about 11:30pm, I was sooo tired and ready to be home. Of course we had the furthest baggage claim ever, but at least my bag was already there!

I ended up Ubering home instead of taking the light rail train because I was so tired. It’s funny, in WDW I never get a driver lower than 4.9. Yet in MN I swear all the drivers are like 4.6 or 4.7 stars, barely hanging on! :crazy2:

I was picked up at 11:45 and Uber was only $20 while Lyft was $29 so always check both apps! My driver didn’t say a single thing to me lol, 5 stars from me! I made it home to my apartment a little after midnight.

My feet were quite swollen from so much walking and from the plane, that doesn’t usually happen to me but perhaps it’s just another lovely perk of getting older. :rotfl:

I hate having stuff in my suitcases so I unpacked everything, showered, and was in bed by 1am. I had to work (from home, thankfully) the next day, bummer!

Despite unpacking my suitcase, the funny part is I was too lazy to put it back in my closet and so it was sitting in my hallway from March until I moved out in September...:hyper:

Overall 19k steps for my last day at WDW.

Thank you all so much for following along, I hope this has been fun to read! I have no idea when I will be able to go to WDW next, I really want to go back to Disneyland as well so we’ll see which will be first! I'm hoping I can squeeze something in at the end of this year at the very least.

I got a 70% refund by cancelling my AP, even though I was able to fit in two week-long trips. I definitely came out ahead so I am thinking about getting another AP when I go next time. :poop:

If you’ve ever wanted to go on a solo trip but haven’t taken the plunge, I say 100% go for it! I had a blast and will definitely be doing it again.

I'll probably do one more post and try to summarize how much I spent on food and how many rides I averaged per day so stay tuned!

Thank you for taking the time to write your TR! I love reading trip report from pre CoViD ...
It reminds me of better times, and look forward to life being « normal » again someday... i really enjoyed reading about your lucky solo trip!

And wow... You got a really good deal out of that AP 😊

Hopefully you will be able to go back sooner than later, whenever you feel comfortable going back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter