A Very Belated Trip Report DAY 3 - Epcot, Restaurant Akershus, Garden Grill

jesdmill1

Eeyore lover
Trip Dates: June 11-17, 2000

The Cast:
Me, Jessica, 22 and a first time Disney visitor
My Mom – 45, a Disney nut dying to see Animal Kingdom

Tues June 13 – Epcot – Akershus, Garden Grill, TofN, Illum

We got to Epcot just as the gates were opening. Epcot, I have decided, is my favorite park. That surprises me, because I though MK would be, but Epcot has rides that are educational, which I really like.

The first thing we did was get our Fast Passes for Test Track for 30 minutes away. We went and got a frozen cappuccino from the Fountainview café. The coffee was excellent – but then, I’m a coffee drink nut! We went back for our FP on Test Track. We stood in line and watched all the demonstrations, which were lots of fun. I was really nervous abut this ride, because I don’t do big time thrill rides, and hearing the cars outside was intimidating. Once I got on the ride though I loved it! It was exactly enough thrill for me! I would have ridden it again but we didn’t have time.

We decided to do Universe of Energy next. Once again, we had no wait, but this ride takes a lot of people at one. I really enjoyed this one. I love both Ellen and Bill Nye the science guy, so the two of them together was perfect! I wish there had been more movie and less diorama though… and I didn’t like getting squirted by a dinosaur (My Mom knew if was coming so she seated me on that end).

We headed into Innoventions next. This was similar to the one in DL, and just as much a waste of time. It just feels like one big advertisement to me, and I think it could be something so neat! I sent a movie postcard to my boyfriend at home, which made me homesick for a little while. He’s coming with me next time though, so I cheered up thinking about that!

Next we headed over to the Living Seas. I didn’t realize that I would have to ride an elevator in this ride, and I wasn’t happy about it! Once we were inside the aquarium it was fun though. We watched the dolphins for awhile and then headed back out. We decided it was time to head to the World Showcase!

I really like the world showcase. It’s a relaxing change from the hectic pace of other Disney parks. We stopped in Mexico for a long time. My Mom was debating buying an amber necklace in the jewelry store (she ended up buying it later) I checked out the restaurant and decided it looked like a nice place for a romantic dinner. Oddly enough we didn’t realize there was a ride there, and never did it.

We went to Norway next. Since we are of Swedish and Norwegian heritage we were interested in this pavilion. We rode the maelstrom with no line. I thought this ride was interesting, although I found the plotline incomprehensible. I was really scared when I thought we were about to go backwards down a waterfall – very sneaky of them! I liked the ride though. Afterwards we were contemplating lunch when we decided on the spur of the moment to go for Restaurant Akershus. My Mom grew up on this kind of food but I’d never really had it. We both loved it! The cold buffet was excellent, especially the bread, smoked salmon and pate. The meatballs were also excellent. It was a good value for lunch and not too heavy at all. We split their version of the millennium dessert – white chocolate spaceship earth filled with rice cream… Mmm!

We wandered through China, and then decided to go back to future world to Wonders of Life. We saw Cranium Command, which was fun, but decided to skip body wars (Mom said it makes her queasy.

We went back over to the WS (we were getting quite a workout) the other way around. We looked through the Pooh shop and head a beatles cover band in the UK. In Canada we caught an Off Kilter Performance, which was lots of fun! Then we went to the Millennium pavilion. I didn’t really enjoy this too much. Most of the exhibits were shops. It had a very “short term” feel to it. I did think Sweden was very bizarre with the large eggs. Bizarre, but somehow cool!

We wandered through lots more shops before finding ourselves in the US for the American Adventure. We enjoyed the singers in the lobby – I’m a singer by profession myself and they were excellent! I really enjoyed the film. It made me feel very proud to be an American, as cheesy as that sounds. I wondered what all the guests from other countries thought of it.

Mom was developing an angry rash on her legs, and they were swelling, so we went to first aid (in the Odyssey Restaurant) to see what was wrong. They called it “The Disney Rash” and said it was caused by heat reflecting off of pavement. They let her sit in the first aid station for awhile to cool down. By the time we got out it was time for our PS at the Garden Grille
The Garden Grille is an interesting concept – a revolving restaurant in a ride. Well, sort of. Mostly you can only see the tops of trees and things. Still, it was great fun! Meals at the Garden Grille are family style. They start with salad with ranch dressing – excellent, especially the dressing! Then you get sunflower bread with honey butter. The honey butter was my favorite part of the meal – we went through 3 loaves! The main course was Catfish sticks, Flank Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, and apple cobbler for dessert. The flank steak was excellent. The rest was ok, but nothing to write home about. We saw farmer chip and dale and mickey while we were there – they came around once, and our waitress took our picture. Our waitress for this meal was excellent, telling us about how she has worked at Disney for 20 years, and how she loves seeing the children’s faces when they see the Characters. A little girl sitting next to us got scared by the sounds from the Land ride and had to leave though (mostly wind noises).

After the restaurant we had to try the ride! The land was interesting, and was a nice way to sit after dinner.

We went after this and lined up for the Tapestry of Nations. We picked a spot right across from Japan. I loved the parade – I thought the music was especially wonderful. Actually I loved all the music in Epcot so much I bought the CD later on! Then came illuminations, which I thought was good as well, although we didn’t have the best spot to see it.

We tried to let the crowd go by us on the way out. We went to the restroom in the Odyssey and got cookies from a bakery, but it didn’t work. We ended up waiting an hour for the bus back to our resort. When we finally got back my Mom filled our mugs and went for a smoke while I called my boyfriend. He had taken over my home business for the week and was having trouble with an irate customer, so I had to tell him how to handle that. I was so tired after that I never felt my head touch the pillow!

August 2001 - Wilderness Lodge
June 2000 - Port Orleans
August 1999 - Disneyland

I'm glad you enjoyed test track. I'm not a thrill ride person either....and still remain that way after riding test track. :D You and your mom are staying very busy. Hope that rash goes away on her legs. :)

hipgrl1.gif

<FONT COLOR=Red> Co-Chat Mistress</font>
<FONT COLOR=Red>Instructional Chat Co-Host
</FONT>
<font color=Blue> Co-Moderator Trip Reports Board</font>
<font color=green>
<font color=FF00CC>Co-Moderator Theme Parks, Attractions and Strategies
http://www.wdwinfo.com/merchandise/index.shtml</font>

Jessica,
A great report! I'm enjoying your posts.

Thanks
TonyB

DL - 1972
WDW - 5/79 (Off-site at the Quality Inn Hi-Q)
WDW - 3/89 (Hi-Q again)
WDW - 5/98 (Ho-Jo's Maingate East)
WDW - 5/99 (All Star Sports)
DL - 10/99
WDW - 2/00 (Ft Wilderness)
WDW - 9/00 (Port Orleans)
WDW - 4/01 (Honeymoon @ Wilderness Lodge)

The Disney rash?! Never heard of that!! How funny that it actually happens often enough that they've named it. ;)

Sandy

I know! (About the rash) I'd actually read about something like that here before we left. It didn't go away - in fact, she ended up having to get water pills from her doctor when we got home to make the swelling go down. She made it through though!

August 2001 - Wilderness Lodge
June 2000 - Port Orleans
August 1999 - Disneyland

Another fun filled day except for the rash which I haven't heard of before. Thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter