A Tale Of The DxDDP, or, Find Me A Wheelchair & Roll Me Back To The Room

TheNewMrsB

DIS Veteran
Well, here I am, Mrs B, a few weeks after our wonderful Disney vacation. Life has returned to normal, and work has been incredibly busy – so much so that I haven’t had the time or energy to get started on this food report until now!

But the time has come, friends. It’s time to relish every delicious memory! :love:

In case you haven’t been following along with our Pre-Trip Report and the Trip Report which is currently being worked on by my dear husband, Guitarob, here’s the lowdown on the meals we had scheduled for our week:

Saturday, 9/18
Dinner @ Narcoossee’s

Sunday, 9/19
Dinner @ California Grill

Monday, 9/20
Breakfast @ Poly Lounge
Lunch @ Coral Reef
Dinner @ 'Ohana

Tuesday, 9/21
Dinner @ Artist Point

Wednesday, 9/22
Dinner @ The Flying Fish Café

Thursday, 9/23
Dinner @ Yachtsman Steakhouse

Friday, 9/24
Breakfast @ ‘Ohana
Lunch @ Les Chefs de France (changed to dinner @ Kona Cafe)

In the midst of all this, we enjoyed several breakfasts at Kona Café, as well as a couple at the Poly lounge. We also enjoyed a few snack credits – I didn’t get to use nearly as many as I had wanted to because, let’s face it, no one needs to eat that much food. :sick:

It was all too good not to share, so I hope you follow along! :)

The first day of vacation…always so much fun, so much anticipation. And every year has had its own reason to be highly anticipated, it seems. The first trip for me was our honeymoon. So it’s pretty much obvious that there was a lot of anticipation leading up to it, especially since it had been so long since my last visit, and we hadn’t stayed on property at that time. Guitarob left no stone unturned when convincing me that WDW was THE place to spend a honeymoon.

The following year all I could think of was how much fun we’d had the year prior, and how much I couldn’t wait to get back to it!

This year, though, was a totally different animal. After 10 months of serious, life-changing events – well, we needed a break and were so blessed to get one!

So needless to say, our first morning was very exciting. I couldn’t wait to get back to the Polynesian, back to the tropical lushness, back to the relaxation. :cloud9:

Most importantly, back to the Tonga Toast. Hey, I’m just keeping it real.

Seeing as how I was so hell-bent on getting my TT fix, after we arrived and were quickly shown to our room, I was practically jumping out of my skin to get to Kona and “really” start vacation. At first I was sorta bummed at the notion that we may have been too late for breakfast (even though I managed to convince myself that lunch would be okay, too)…but no worries! We were quickly seated and handed breakfast menus! Hooray! :woohoo:

So, obviously, I ordered the Tonga Toast. And was very quickly presented with what was possibly the most perfect piece of Tonga Toast ever created.

kona_tongatoast.jpg

Seriously. Is that not gorgeous? Perfectly golden, not too too crunchy, hot and fresh tasting. Just like I remembered it – so for all of you devotees who have heard the rumor that TT is not what it used to be, never fear! Along with this, I ordered bacon. Which was sort of a mistake. See, I usually order those humongous sausage links, but the last time I had them they were a little too pink inside for my liking and turned me off in a big way. But after gnawing on this tasteless bacon, I was turned back on to sausage in a jiffy! Is it low-sodium or turkey bacon? I don’t know. All I know is, no thank you, I’ll have sausage from now on.

Guitarob, on the other hand, ordered the Big Kahuna.

kona_bigkahuna.jpg

And he was in heaven, of course. Everything was delicious and DH was very pleased. Well, pleased with everything except for the size of the ham. What? You mean you can’t see the slice of ham in this picture? Exactly. It was, like, two bites worth of ham which I assume was hiding under the pancakes when this shot was taken. DH is a fan of the Big Kahuna so we both knew that this was not the way things used to be. I guess you gotta cut back where you can? Still, the food was scrumptious and we sort of laughed at the absurdity of it.

Along with our food, we both ordered lilikoi juice and mimosas (and I got carded! Score!). You know - to really get vacation under way. ;)

kona_mimosa.jpg

I ask you, is there any more perfect beverage on earth than lilikoi juice? I just want to carry a jug of it on my back, with tubes leading up to my mouth, so I can take a sip any time I choose. It might make things a little difficult when commuting on the train in the morning, but I get hit with overloaded backpacks all the time, so I can’t see how this would be any different.

Once we were finished eating, and busy thanking the good Lord for the existence of such greatness, we were presented with these in honor of our anniversary:

kona_cupcakes.jpg

How cute are they? And that whipped cream around the edges of the plate was SO totally homemade. I was pretty much in a food coma at this point. Still, after having ingested much more food than was good for us, it was a bit of a challenge to give these cupcakes the appreciation they deserved. But we managed. We’re such troopers.

After the meal was over, we decided to hang out at the resort for the rest of the day rather than hit the parks right away. So we settled in and spent the afternoon at the pool, which was the perfect choice in my opinion.

pool_drinks.jpg

Up next: The meal which inspired the title of this report!

Yay! I'm here, I'm here!

Food!!

Next time, I'm totally trying the Tonga Toast. I talked myself out of it this trip, but next time....it's on!

Can't wait to read your report!

Yay! I'm here, I'm here!

Food!!

Next time, I'm totally trying the Tonga Toast. I talked myself out of it this trip, but next time....it's on!

Can't wait to read your report!

For real. Don't talk yourself out of it next time. ;) Have you ever had the pancakes? They are definitely a close 2nd for me.

For real. Don't talk yourself out of it next time. ;) Have you ever had the pancakes? They are definitely a close 2nd for me.

We've actually never eaten breakfast there. We had lunch there this trip and loved it so we were discussing trying to get in for breakfast one day, but we talked ourselves out of it.

I know it will definitely be on the list for lunch, but we may have to try breakfast. I'm not sure how the kiddos will handle eating breakfast there when there are characters just next door. I guess we may have to bribe them. :lmao:

OMG; DH and I LOVE the POLY!!! And I haven't had Tonga Toast since 2006 -- AM I CRAZY OR WHAT! Definately going to have to make time for this on my next trip. (I am drooling over the keyboard now!)

Great beginning - looking forward to the rest of your report! :thumbsup2

After a happy afternoon at the pool, and a bit of rest in the room (we had left the house @ 4:30 that morning, after all), it was time to freshen up for our dinner at Narccossee’s! :banana:

narcoossees_sign.jpg

We had been really looking forward to this meal ever since it was booked, since we had such a great experience there the year before. And let me tell you, we were two very happy, very stuffed people when we left. As I mentioned in my previous post, this was the meal that inspired the title of this report, because it’s what DH groaned by the time it was all said and done and we needed to get out of our chairs and actually move. :laughing:

Prior to the meal, though, we spent time walking around the resort. I just love the Grand Floridian, it’s so beautiful in a different way than the Polynesian. One strange thing I noticed (and this would be a running theme throughout the week) was the massive number of crows (?) hanging out on top of the buildings. A CM walked past us as I was looking up at them and said “It’s like ‘The Birds’!”. I was just thinking the same thing, and in fact had just said to DH that I expected to see Tippi Hedren running by.

But anyway, on to the food.

We showed up a bit early for our 5:45 reservation, and were completely ready to wait as long as necessary, but were seated almost immediately. Our server (who was a total doll throughout the entire meal) greeted us and asked if we would like a complimentary glass of champagne. Why, of course we would! :)

narcoossees_toast.jpg

Then, DH ordered a Godiva chocolate martini. He’s become a big fan of the chocolate martini as of late. He loved it - I tried a taste and as usual, it was dangerous and deceptive! :laughing: And of course, while we waited, we enjoyed the yummy sourdough bread and salted butter. It’s such a treat. But before we knew it, it was time for our appetizers!

For my appetizer, I ordered the mussels.

narcoossees_mussels.jpg

I had already eaten these the year before but really couldn’t find anything on the menu that night that I would rather have enjoyed, since as much as I would have loved a bowl of the bisque, creamy soups make me feel kinda sick. Still, I was not unhappy in the least with my choice. They were super fresh and swimming in a delicious, garlicky broth. And speaking of garlic, do you see the bits of it all over that crostini? It was to die for, seriously. I’m afraid I made a bit of a fool of myself while enjoying this dish.

DH, meanwhile, ordered the crab and lobster bisque.

narcoossees_bisque.jpg

Now let me tell you something. As much as I enjoyed the mussels, I was having serious envy over DH’s soup. In fact, a gentleman at another table saw what we had ordered and called over that he was trying to decide between the two. I took a spoonful of the bisque and said, “Get the soup!”. That is some serious velvety goodness, right there, and chock full of crab and lobster meat – there is no skimpage here. Plus DH raved over the little crackers.

On to our entrees, and to my only complaint about the entire meal.

On the menu, it clearly stated that this dish was a lobster and seafood paella, and described it as featuring scallops, shrimp, chicken sausage and chorizo.

This, however, is what was presented to me:

narcoossees_paella.jpg

My, those scallops bear a strong resemblance to mussels, don’t they? :headache: Argh! I can’t tell you how disappointed I was – I mean, how many mussels can a girl eat in one sitting? I was really looking forward to the scallops. Plus…notice all the rice inside the shells? Who wants to pick rice out of a shell (believe me, I tried it and it took waaaay too much effort and was very messy)? I felt like half of the rice was wasted. Sigh. I’m not sure what was going on when this was prepared and no, I didn't say anything because as much as I was really enjoying the slow, relaxed pace of the meal...I didn't want to have to wait for anything else. Still, it was very delicious and after I got over my slight disappointment I enjoyed it very much. I added the wine pairing as well and it was a total hit.

DH ordered the crab-crusted halibut and potato gratin. I’m not entirely sure of this, but I think he may have substituted the gratin for the original side dish. I do love how flexible the restaurants are with substitutions.

narcoossees_halibut.jpg

Okay. Again with the envy, except only more so. OH MY GOD this dish was killer! :thumbsup2 For one thing, DH is not nearly the fan of all things lemony as I am, so he gladly pushed his meyer lemon sauce off on me. So that right there elevated my meal, since that sauce was absolutely incredible and did glorious things for my lobster tail and shrimp. But upon tasting his fish and feeling his eyeballs roll back in his head, he insisted that I try a bite.

WOWZA. The halibut alone knocked my socks off, but along with the lemon sauce it was a downright revelation. Absolutely amazing. Perfectly cooked and seasoned. And the potatoes were delicious, too (of course I had to try some of them as well!) – just right, not too mushy and not too crunchy, but also not too rich. All in all a total knockout. Once he was so stuffed he couldn’t eat any more, I just had to keep picking at that fish. So. Good. I cannot overstate its deliciousness. :love:

Then, as if to add insult to injury and our slowly tightening pants, we ordered dessert. :rolleyes1

DH had the almond crusted cheesecake.

narcoossees_cheesecake.jpg

I didn’t even bother trying to get a taste of this because I was afraid of losing part of my hand (DH has, in the past, accidentally stabbed me with a plastic fork). I asked him how it was and he pretty much gave me the “Are you seriously asking me this question?” look. :laughing: Of course it was totally fabulous!

I decided to mix it up a bit, though, and ordered the cheese plate instead of the cheesecake. I was not disappointed!

narcoossees_cheese.jpg

Now, I know the one in the middle was a goat cheese, and the one on the right was a blue, but I don’t remember the one on the left. Regardless, they were all wonderful and I had a great time lingering over them and their accompaniments.

After two hours of bliss, we were forced to say goodbye to this restaurant. In all, this was such a terrific start to our trip! And we got out just in time to enjoy an absolutely stunning sunset and the incredible breeze (and nonexistant humidity! When does that happen?? It was almost chilly!) as we took a boat ride back to the Polynesian.

Up Next: Another Kona breakfast, and our big Anniversary dinner!

Thanks for an AMAZING update, I love eating at Narcoossee's but too bad we are not going there on our December trip...hubby wants to try a few new signatures...hope I don't regret it....maybe I can try to fit in our last night :rotfl:

OMG; DH and I LOVE the POLY!!! And I haven't had Tonga Toast since 2006 -- AM I CRAZY OR WHAT! Definately going to have to make time for this on my next trip. (I am drooling over the keyboard now!)

Great beginning - looking forward to the rest of your report! :thumbsup2

No Tonga Toast since 2006? How do you LIVE? :rotfl2:

Thanks for an AMAZING update, I love eating at Narcoossee's but too bad we are not going there on our December trip...hubby wants to try a few new signatures...hope I don't regret it....maybe I can try to fit in our last night :rotfl:

Ooooh which new signatures are you trying?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter