• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A story of adding on 2 nights to a DVC vacation.

sheryl0521

DIS Veteran
During our last trip to BCV (10/7 to 10/14) we decided we wanted to stay a bit longer and started the painful task of adding on days.

We started on Wednesday 10/12 at the BC front desk - the CM didn't even check her computer, she just kept smiling and stated, "the resort is completely sold out for the weekend." We just stood there and said - aren't you even going to check the computer? She replied - "I have it here on my screen - it is completely sold out." We were just baffled and walked away.

On Thursday morning, I said to DH - let's try again. I called the front desk from the room and after a few keystrokes, the CM on the phone said "there is availability *my heart jumped* but you have to call Member Services to book the stay on points." I stated that we wanted to pay cash, but she still sent us to Member Services.

I called Member Services and learned that a room was available for full rack rate with cash, but I had to ask her to wait on booking so I could make the changes to our flights.

After getting off the phone with the airlines, I called Member Services again and the CM told me there were no longer rooms available. I stated that just within the past 15 minutes I was told there were rooms available by the front desk and by Member Services, and the CM started into her speech of CRO having the same access as MS and rooms can come and go within minutes *heart now breaking*. I was shocked & disappointed. At this point we had told our DS’s that we were working on staying in WDW for 2 additional days.

I literally closed my flip-style cell phone re-opened it and called back immediately to get another Member Services CM. I asked again if I could add 2 additional nights for cash to my current reservation *with fingers crossed*. The CM starts to type and states "well sure, I can add 2 nights to your reservation and I can get you the member discount of 25% off!!! OMG!!

Needless to say I booked the room right then and there and we were able to enjoy 2 additional nights in our existing 1-bedroom villa at our favorite place at WDW.

Wanted to share my story of how things can change on the drop of a hat - or within the split second of closing a cell phone and redialing the 1-800 number.

That truly is how quickly things can change, and why calling back numerous times can be beneficial.

Wow! That is quite a story - things do change quickly! Thanks for sharing with us.

Best wishes -

Thanks for the story, it certainly reinforces why persistence can pay-off. the thing I find troubling is the machinations you have to go through and the huge disparity in information you get back.

Correct me if I'm wrong - can't pay reservations be cancelled up to 24 hours before? So in this case, it would be best to reserve room, then see if flight can be changed, then cancel reservation if it can't be?

Of course this worked out better, cause you got the 25% discount, but I was just thinking about how to be sure you have a room before changing flights?

Cash reservations made through MS have a 6-day cancellation window. CRO may have a 24-hr advance cancel; I don't book through CRO much anymore.

This was a very spur-of-the moment idea. The weather was great in Orlando, we still had tickets to use and we didn't want to leave and had the availability to stay on 2-more days.

We had the same thing happen to us in late Sept, also at BCV. At the end of a week at BCV, we decided to add on 6 additional nights and use pts. We experienced the same thing with the villa availabilty literally changing between phone calls. It was amazing. But it all worked out just fine. First we had the first additional 3 nights at BCV and the last 3 nights at BWV booked. The MS CMs told us to keep calling back as the week went on to see if we could get the last 3 nights at BCV and not need to switch resorts. Sure enough by the 3rd day, we got the nights at BCV. We were thrilled. The weather was great, SAB was fantastic, and we had already had a full week of the parks so we were in the relax mode. No better place to be the relax mode than SAB on a sunny day. Not only did we not have to change resorts, we did not have to change rooms.

thelobstershanty said:
Not only did we not have to change resorts, we did not have to change rooms.

That was our one requirement, we didn't want to move either. We were able to stay in our 1-bedroom for the entire time. Since we added on a Friday & Saturday night, I don't think that would be a problem.

It really made a nice ending to our vacation too. We just relaxed at SAB and Dunes Cove and strolled into Epcot for an evening of F&WF and fireworks. When I think back to the vacaiton - the relaxing part comes to mind before the first part of the week when we were running between priority seatings and other activities.

Similar story, though I think things went more smoothly for us... We were at BWV 10/15-10/21 in a 1 BR and on the 17th bought an additional 100 point contract from DVD that came with the '04 points... Our first 2 days of calling resulted in "no rooms at the inn" but by the 3rd, we got two more nights in the same room. Of course, there was a hurricane meandering around the Gulf that weekend which may have convinced some folks to cancel their trip---but it worked out for us!

Well Sheryl, we seem to have overlapped at BCV that week. We were at BWV until Columbus Day and were supposed to fly back to Boston. But then our flight got cancelled due to the radar problems they had then, and we ended up with no flight home and no place to stay on 10/11. So I called into MS from the airport and asked if there were any 1BR or studios available, asking to start with BCV; well mirabile dictu, there was a 1BR for us at BCV for the two days we needed (and we had the points left over in our account). We got the amazing room 208 overlooking the quiet pool.

We had a lovely couple of days burning extra days into our well-used APs. I guess we were just lucky. We would have taken anything that was available, but DD (5) was hoping to try out SAB for the first time.

I was on the phone with MS a little while ago, and apparently they are super busy with members hoping for last minute cancellations at DVC resorts. Apparently there is no room at the Inn for Thanksgiving right now so these members are going to need to stay in their backup lodgings.

1) All of the above could have happened (and DVC members do get 25% off).
2) Timing is everything.
3) Ressies are constantly changed and cancelled.
4) 15-minutes could make a huge difference - good or bad.

NOTE: As for the front desk CMs, their screens can show full when there are a couple of rooms still available. There are a few people who can release rooms and make more availability. Front Desk CMs can't.

pumpkinboy said:
Well Sheryl, we seem to have overlapped at BCV that week....We got the amazing room 208 overlooking the quiet pool.

We were in room 238!! Overlooking the dunes cove pool - we were right down the hall!! Too funny - if you saw us on the 11th for MNSSHP - we were dressed as 4 Yankee players.

Small world!

sheryl0521 said:
...Too funny - if you saw us on the 11th for MNSSHP - we were dressed as 4 Yankee players...
I think we missed that. If we'd seen it we would've Hissed ;) (ever so politely and respectfully tho)

DW and DS actually made it home on the appointed day, so it was just Daddy and little girl (5) time. We were the two redheads, invariably either at SAB or one of the water parks. It was great having the extra time with just DD, esp in that great room at BCV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter