"A Salute to All Disney Cuisine, But Mostly Italian" (Updated 8/20)

nicole0992

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone and welcome to my first dining review. I thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's dining reviews and seeing all the food pictures. It's such a big help in planning all our meals and getting us excited for our next trip.

My traveling companion and Disney buddy is my 13 year old daughter. She is the only one in the family that loves to travel to WDW with me. My DH and other children would rather stay home. :eek: They get their Disney fix at Disneyland (we go at least twice a month). Don't feel too badly for them, they have all gone to WDW within the past two years. They just don't like to go in the summer or too often.

Anyhow, the past 6 summers we have taken mother/daughter trips. We have the best time all year planning, reading the boards, etc. Now for a little about our past dining habits... We were not counter service food lovers at all and our past trips have all consisted of 2 TS meals a day. We have done the deluxe plan on most of our past trips but this trip we decided to just eat what we wanted and would pay OOP. I wanted to see how this worked for us since we always had credits left over. So, after countless hours of planning, fitting in all our old favorites (and some new ones) we were set..... or so we thought.

All I can say is that it's a good thing I didn't do a PTR because our plans were out the window due to the heat/crowds. We were just too hot and tired to eat! Our appetites were just zapped away by the humidity. I don't know why we had such trouble dealing with the heat this trip. Our past 5 summer trips didn't zap the energy out of us like this one did. We have even been there during record breaking temps. Since we had no dining plan credits that HAD to be used, we cancelled many TS and just ate CS! Shocking for us since we don't usually like to deal with CS places. Even more shocking for us was that we really, really enjoyed most of the meals. This trip totally changed our views on CS and will forever change our dining habits on future trips.

Now you must be saying what does all this have to do with your title? Well, it will make sense when you see how the trip and our meals unfloded! Enough chit-chat. Let's get this review started in the next post...

We always fly the red-eye out of LAX. I hate to waste a Disney day flying. Our flight arrived at 6:18 a.m. and we were at Epcot for rope drop! I just love flying the red-eye. :thumbsup2

Our traditional first park is always Epcot because it is our favorite! We have to ride Spaceship Earth first. Now, keep in mind, today was a RED day according to Tour Guide Mike. I knew that going in but my daughter had her heart set on following traditions. We arrived to to a sea of people at bag check and then lined up with the masses. Everyone runs to Soarin' but we went right on Spaceship Earth.

We had 1:15 ADR for Rose & Crown but we were starving at 11:00 and decided to start our trip at the Boulangerie Patisserie. I cancelled our ADR and we both decided on the ham and cheesse croissants (heated). I went with a cream puff for dessert and my daughter had her favorite Napoleon. My drink was the cappuccino glace/ frozen cappucino while DD had a bottle of water.

The croissants were so delicious! They never disappoint. The cheese on top is tangy. The ham inside was a so thinly sliced, smokey and so tasty. More gooey melted cheese was inside. So yummy.

July2012Dis2038.jpg

My cream puff was a huge disappointment. The pastry/choux itself was stale tasting and tough. Not at all delicate and light as it should be. The cream was also not great. I had a few bites and that was enough.

July2012Dis2040.jpg

DD loved her Napoleon and said it was as good as always. I had a bite and the layers were delicate. The custard/cream was no overly sweet. Just perfect.

July2012Dis2039.jpg

Blech. The cappuccino glace/ frozen cappuchino was just horrible. It tasted so fake and sweet. I took one sip and that was enough for me. What a huge disappointment.

July2012Dis2041.jpg

Overall, this is one of our favorites and we will continue to stop here for our favorites. I will pick out another pastry next time. The cost of this meal was $20.65.

Amazing start to your reviews! I read the bolded part below, and my face was like :scared1:. Then I read the next sentence about Disneyland, which made me feel better. :lmao:
My traveling companion and Disney buddy is my 13 year old daughter. She is the only one in the family that loves to travel to WDW with me. My DH and other children would rather stay home. :eek: They get their Disney fix at Disneyland (we go at least twice a month). Don't feel too badly for them, they have all gone to WDW within the past two years. They just don't like to go in the summer or too often.

I don't blame you for changing up your ADR plans at the last minute - it feels great to eat whatever and whenever you want (especially given how the heat and humidity can mess with your hunger patterns). The croissant at the boulangerie looks great, as does the napoleon (it's one of my mom's favorite items there). :goodvibes

BTW, I love the title reference to MuppetVision 3D. :thumbsup2

Great start! I love the boulangerie for snacks and a nice little lunch. I can't wait to see what else you have for us!

We left Epcot immediately after lunch because the crowds were just growing by the minute. It was evening EMH night so we were out of there! We headed over to Magic Kingdom and I had my first sight of the castle. I always get goosebumps when I walk in and get my first sighting.

After a great afternoon at MK, we ventured over to the Polynesian for our traditional first night dinner at 'Ohana. Hey, what can I say... we are big on our Disney trip traditions :lmao:. We had a 5:35 ADR. I took a picture of the current menu to also show the holiday pricing. It was $36.99/adult the night we dined.
(Sorry the picture isn't the greatest.)

July2012Dis2157.jpg

The line for walk-ins stretched way back to the end of the shops! The line for ADRs was long but not as bad as I've seen in the past. We were seated at 5:50 so not bad at all.

We were given our pineapple/coconut welcome bread and seated at a nice two-top table along the aisle. My daughter ate almost the whole loaf of bread! She just loves it. I warned her not to but she said it was so good she couldn't stop. I restrained myself and didn't have any.

review6.jpg

July2012Dis2089.jpg

July2012Dis2091.jpg

July2012Dis2093.jpg

My DD got so full on the bread (as I knew she would) that she only had room for 1 or 2 chicken wings and a few dumplings. She had a bite or two of the noodles and called it quits.

I enjoyed a little bit of everything but just love the salad. It was so fresh and perfectly dressed. The broccoli and snow peas were perfectly cooked, a bit crisp and lightly seasoned. The noodles were delicious. I put a little of the peanut sauce on them. The honey coriander chicken wings were so tasty. The wings this night were huge. I enjoyed two of them. They were moist and the meat juicy. The sauce is sticky and carmelized. Just terrific. The pork dumplings were crispy and perfectly cooked.

Then the skewers started to come around. Chicken arrived first and it ended up being the only meat I ate. It was moist and seasoned nicely. I was just too full by the time the rest of the meats arrived.

July2012Dis2090.jpg

Sorry I didn't get pictures of the pork, steak and shrimp. I forgot to mention the dipping sauces that are served. My favorite is the peanut sauce. I love to put some on my noodles, dunk my dumplings in and also for the chicken. My daughter loves the sweet and sour sauce. They are all just so good!

July2012Dis2088.jpg

The amazing dessert of bread pudding with bananas foster sauce arrived next. I could barely force more than a few bites. :sad2: I never seem to have room to enjoy the dessert yet it's one of my favorites in all of Disney.

July2012Dis2097.jpg

We had a wonderful, efficient server this night named Roy. His assistant was awesome, too. Oh, and Lipoa (I think that's how it's spelled) was there singing and playing her ukele. I love watching the kids participating in the coconut races and dancing lessons.

'Ohana lived up to the hype for us once again and we had a perfect first night's meal. We returned to our resort immediately following dinner via taxi. I wasn't up to dealing with the buses. We needed to unwind, relax and have an early night to let our bodies adjust to the time change.

Cost of 'Ohana for 2 adults this night was $78.79.

Wow that creme puff looks so good, that's a shame it tasted bad.

Btw great Ohana review, haven't been in a year and a half, and am returning next month your photos are making my mouth water!

DD loved her Napoleon and said it was as good as always. I had a bite and the layers were delicate. The custard/cream was no overly sweet. Just perfect.

July2012Dis2039.jpg

Oh, how I love those Napoleons! :love:

Joining in and can't wait to read more! :thumbsup2

This is definitely going to be the year that I try one of those napoleons!

Great start, looking forward to the rest!

Great reviews - keep them coming! I love your title - I'm assuming it's from the Muppets 3D movie at DHS - Sam the Eagle says "a salute to all nations of the world ...... but mostly America" - cracks me up everytime I hear it.

Amazing start to your reviews! I read the bolded part below, and my face was like :scared1:. Then I read the next sentence about Disneyland, which made me feel better. :lmao:

I know, those crazy kids. Sometimes I wonder how they can be mine! :rotfl2: The whole family just went on a Disney cruise in February, too. They were happy to let Mom head off and have her fun with their Disney World loving sister!

Wow that creme puff looks so good, that's a shame it tasted bad.

I know! It was so tall and beautiful and then I took a taste. So disappointing.

Btw great Ohana review, haven't been in a year and a half, and am returning next month your photos are making my mouth water!

You are in for a real treat. It was soooo good this trip! We went back again later on in the trip.

Great start! I love the boulangerie for snacks and a nice little lunch. I can't wait to see what else you have for us!

Thank you! I have lots more to come.

This is definitely going to be the year that I try one of those napoleons!

Great start, looking forward to the rest!

You have to! They are so incredible.

Great reviews - keep them coming! I love your title - I'm assuming it's from the Muppets 3D movie at DHS - Sam the Eagle says "a salute to all nations of the world ...... but mostly America" - cracks me up everytime I hear it.

Yes! That's the inspiration for the title. My daughter loves Muppet 3D and she suggested the title since we ate so much Italian on the trip.

Sorry for the delay. We had something come up and had to leave town for a few days. I have a few more reviews already typed up and will get them posted soon!..

Hi
I love reading your reviews!! Can't wait for more. Thanks for sharing!! I don't eat any meat and love O'hana. The shrimp are delicious!!

Hi
I love reading your reviews!! Can't wait for more. Thanks for sharing!! I don't eat any meat and love O'hana. The shrimp are delicious!!

Your title made me literally LOL. I'm enjoying your reviews and look forward to more :)

I'm in! Can't wait to hear more.

Jill in CO

Thank you all so much for reading and commenting. I am so honored that people are enjoying my first dining review. More coming right up!

Great reviews! Food looks scrumptious, especially O'Hana! Can't wait for more. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter