A Reservation for 13 Please! 5/27/07-6/2/07: 2 years later Liberty Inn, Raglan Rd.

lovehoney

DIS Veteran
We just returned from our family gathering of 13 at WDW. Our 4 families stayed in two rooms at Old Key West and we were on the dining plan (11 on one card and 2 on another). We had seven children in the group ages 3-9.

Here is where we ate:

Goods to Go (CS)
Chef Mickey’s (TS)

Columbia Harbor House (CS)
Garden Grill (TS)

Flame Tree Barbecue (CS)
Pizza delivery at OKW (OOP)

Cinderella’s Royal Table Lunch for 12 (2 TS)
CRT lunch part 2
Leftover pizza
Boma (TS for just me and DH)

Boma part 2
Boma part 3
Sunshine Seasons (CS)
Hollywood and Vine Fantasmic Package (TS)
Liberty Inn (CS)
Raglan Road (TS)
Counter service next to Star Tours. Never could find the name. Anyone know?

I will tell you how many of us ate; how the tables were set up and review some of the food. I don't have pictures for for all of the meals. I do have pictures at Boma. DH and I went there for a date night. The other nights we had too many kids to take pics of the food. :rotfl:

First up Goods to Go and Chef Mickey’s.

Goods to Go – All 13 of us ate here at Old Key West’s counter service. We were able to get one of the picnic tables with the umbrellas in front of the counter service. The rest of us ate behind the sand playground on the big deck area. Part of the deck was shaded and it was hot out.

We ordered in 3 shifts. The kids had the standard kid’s meals. We ordered grapes and carrot strips for all their meals with either milk or apple juice. I think the entrees were chicken nuggets and peanut butter and jelly. There might have been a hot dog thrown in – can’t remember. Anyway the kids seemed happy with their meals.

The adults had the burgers, hot dogs and chicken strips. The burgers were just so-so, the hot dogs were deemed delicious. I had the chicken strips and they were super yummy and very filling. They give you three very large strips and you can grab bbq sauce or honey mustard for dipping. The fries with the strips and burgers were good. For desserts the adults just ordered cookies so the kids could split them later.

Pros: Yummy chicken strips
Cons: The lines were horrible at 2:00 pm. Slow service

Chef Mickey’s Dinner – We only had a reservation for 11 here at the Contemporary Resort. We sat at one big round table. I think it would have seated 12. The 2 grandparents on the trip ate at Concourse Steakhouse next door (lucky dogs) and toward the end of our meal came to see the kids interact with the characters.

Chef Mickey’s was a big hit with the kids because of the characters. We saw Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Pluto (no Donald this time). The kids loved the macaroni and cheese, pizza and the fruit. For the adults and children the boiled shrimp was popular. The favorites of the adults were the prime rib and mashed potatoes. I thought the broccoli dish was great.

The dessert bar looked great but nothing really stood out.

Pros: The characters
Cons: Super Noisy

My, I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must be to co-ordinate dining for a party of 13. But it certainly sounds like you are off to a good start :thumbsup2 We are thinking of staying at OKW next April so thanks for the info on the CS option there.

Looking forward to hearing more. We will also be a large group next year but only 7 so not quite as many as you.

Columbia Harbor House – All of the kids ate here and 3 of the adults. 2 of the adults had to go and pick up a forgotten prescription (a whole other long story).
We were trying to schedule our lunches at 11 or 11:30 but didn’t get here until 11:50. I sent everyone upstairs to find a table while I ordered. They had no problem finding 3 tables together. They have some nice size picnic style tables up there.

We had 3 kids who had chicken on salad with grapes and carrots and 4 who had macaroni and cheese with grapes and carrots. We didn’t let the kids choose – we just let them duke it out. They split it up with no problem. What a great bunch of kids! The salads had ranch dressing but some of the kids used it to dip their carrots. They all enjoyed.

The adults all had the Anchors Aweigh Sandwich (Tuna salad) with a side of chips. The tuna salad was not too soupy it stayed on the sandwich. I think there was lettuce and tomato. The bread was large slices of the mutigrain variety. The bread didn't become soggy and fall apart. It was a the perfect tuna salad sandwich. I recommend.

Pros: Great tuna sandwich. Nice big quiet area upstairs.
Cons: None

Garden Grill
– All 13 of us ate here. We had a 4:40 reservation. Most of our ressies were early to accomodate our large group. They pushed three or four tables together on the top level. We saw Mickey, Chip & Dale, and Pluto.

It was super crowded on the table with serving dishes. Since this is family style they bring everything to the table. There was a huge kid’s tray with chicken strips, macaroni and cheese and fries and then they had two bowls of salad for each end of the table and we had two plates of biscuits and rolls. That was all before they brought out the entrees.

The salad was field greens, tomatoes, sweet potato chips and vinaigrette. The sweet potato chips were spicy – maybe a hint of cumin.

The rolls and biscuits were okay. The orange blossom butter was sweet with a light orange flavor.

The entree dish had flank steak, turkey with cranberry sauce, steamed green beans, carrots and squash. In the middle of the plate was a cheesy scalloped style potato dish. The potatoes were creamy with a covering of melted cheese (maybe cheddar). The veggies were very good - crisp and a pretty color. The turkey was on the dry side. The flank steak was seasoned well but they include a lot of rare slices. If you like it that way you are in luck.:)

For dessert the kids had make your own cupcakes. Naked cupcakes were on a plate surrounded by little bowls of icing, m & m’s, sprinkles, a cherry and a gummy worm.

The adults had berry puff pastry. It was a puff pastry triangle with a vanilla creamy type pudding in the middle and berries (strawberry, blueberry) in juice scooped over it. The berries were not very sweet and some were frozen. This was just an okay dessert. Nothing to write home about.

Pros: Steamed veggies were great.
Cons: Looked like a tornado hit our table because of so many dishes. I probably wouldn’t do this with a group again.

link to Garden Grill pics

We did the Magical Gathering thing a couple of years ago with a party of 9. Logistically, it was something to behold, but a lot of fun.

Bring it on.

I thought I would put in a description of our group. I had the descriptions written up for a pre-trip report that I didn't write.

Me 40 - the Disney freak (according to my sisters). I found the DIS 2 years ago and have been addicted ever since. We've visited the world 3 times since then. Disney really should pay the owners of this board. They are making a fortune off of us. :rotfl:

DH 43 - Is catching the WDW fever. Everytime we go he always stops and talks to the DVC people. We always manage to talk ourselves out of it. I'm not sure how long we can hold out.:rolleyes1 He also talks about someday working for WDW in the groups department. We are not sure if working there destroys the magic.

DS6 - Smart, technical and has the longest attention span of any 6 year old boy I know. Ever since he was about 2 he will sit and play one thing forever. He loves WDW but doesn’t like the scary rides e.g. Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror. The idea of ghosts really bothers him. He does love any roller coaster they will let him on. His favorite rides are Test Track and Expedition Everest.

DS3 - Super fearless boy. Jumps off of anything he can before someone stops him. He is very attached to food. We have a motto that you don’t get between DS3 and his food. Favorite ride is Peter Pan.

DMIL - The sweetest MIL one could ever have. She is a teacher and semi-retired (teaches half days). Loves to travel and is super easy going.

DSFIL - Married to MIL for 3 years. Both of their spouses died within 2 years of each other. All 4 had been friends for years and a couple of years after their spouses passed away they found romance. I think it is terribly sweet.

DSBIL - This is our new step-brother. He is a bit of a primper. Hair has to be perfect at all times and body tanned just so. He is a firefighter so we will forgive him for his primpiness. :rotfl: After all he does save lives.

DNeph 5 - This is DSBIL's son. Has a penchant for princesses that bothers DSFIL to no end. He really knows how to push DFIL's buttons. Likes Lightening McQueen but (tells me in a whisper) really loves Cinderella. DSBIL always blames his behavior on DN5's Mom, but I don't think he should be casting stones.

DSIL37 – DH’s sister. Just along for the ride. First time to visit WDW. She decided to wait and pack the day before we left. :scared1: She has 4 beautiful, smart funny girls all under the age of 9. Always tired and a little bit sad. We are hoping this trip cheers her up. DBIL has his own businesses and is away from home a lot. DSIL works full-time as a Teaching Assistant at a Pre-school.

Dniece 9 - Maybe we should call this one duckie – problems like water just roll off her back. She takes things in stride and as the oldest sister has a lot of responsibility of her younger sisters. She loves horses, dogs and telling silly jokes. This is her first time at WDW and she was sp excited about going on Tower of Terror. She loved it. :yay:

Dniece 8 - Super sensitive, focused, and super smart. She read the Hidden Mickey book before our trip. Every time we sat down to eat she told me of different places she has memorized where we will find hidden Mickeys.

Dniece 6 - The little mother of the group. She likes to take care of everyone. She especially loves my DS3. She thinks he is her baby. Her feelings are easily hurt. She loves Cinderella and loved Splash Mountain.

Dniece 4 – The true princess of the group. She must change her clothes at least 3 to 4 times a day. Loves all the princesses and everything pink and pretty. She and DS3 like to play Elizabeth Swan and Captain Jack. She pretends to fall in the water (floor) and makes DS3 dive in to rescue her. DS3 pretends the couch is the ship and jumps off. She also loves repeating the lines of Wendy from the Peter Pan Movie. She met Aurora twice on our trip and was in heaven. The look on her face will be something I will always remember.

Great reviews so far and the cast sound so sweet you were very brave going with such a large party though :faint:

I am enjoying your report! We are taking 11 people when we go in December and I am trying to figure out where to eat with that many people. I cannot wait to read more.

Flame Tree Barbecue – All 13 ate here. We were here on Tuesday 5/29. It was so crowded we didn’t get half the stuff done we wanted. It was 12:15 before we got to lunch. The lines were fast here and from the DISboards I knew to send the family towards the back and the water. They had no problem finding 4 tables together.

The kids had the wings and the hot dogs. The hot dogs were more popular than the chicken with the kids. Carrots and grapes again for their sides.

I think between the adults we had all of the adult entrees.
The ribs were sweet and smoky. Since we are from Texas we were a little concerned about eating barbecue, but the ribs could stand up anywhere in Texas.

½ chicken. Nice smoky and pink. A little moist for my liking. I’m a little strange in that I like my chicken dry covered in bbq sauce.

Beef sandwich – Just okay.
Pork sandwich – This was not a favorite. Texans don’t do pork much unless it is ribs. So it may be a cultural thing. :rotfl:

The baked beans that came with everything were sweet, smoky and thick. The corn muffin was huge and sweet. The muffin was so big and sweet that the kids actually split some of them for dessert. Speaking of dessert the chocolate cake and key lime were both great.

Pros: Ribs
Cons: sandwiches weren’t that great.

Pizza Delivery at Old Key West - 11 of us had pizza by the quiet pool on this night. DSBIL and DN5 were napping – they ate later. The pizzas were delivered in about 25 minutes. We ordered around 5:00 pm. I think there may be a central pizza place for the resorts.

There are picnic tables and bbq pits near the quiet pool. We had the kids set up at the picnic table and the adults ate at an umbrella table by the pool. There was a particularly annoying duck near the picnic tables. I would hear the kids screaming and see them jumping on the tables every time he came by. I kept getting a towel and shooing him away. No snacks from us for that duck! :donald:

The pizzas are really big with a thick crust. The crust was a little gummy in the middle but otherwise tasted great. Because they are so large (16 inches) one pizza goes a long way. They cost about $19 each.

We had 2 cheese, a meat lover, a pepperoni and a veggie. I think 3 pizzas would have been more than enough for our 13. The cheese and pepperoni were the favorites. The meat lover and veggie stayed in the fridge for a couple of days before being finished. We also had 2 orders of bread sticks with marinara sauce (a little too oily for me) and DH ordered a salad for me.

It was really fun eating at the quiet pool. With groups I would recommend doing this one night. It was very relaxing.

Pros: Quick service, will deliver to the pool but we had them deliver to our room and walked it over.

Cons: No choice on the crust (or not that we found out about). We like a thinner crust on our pizza.

My, I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must be to co-ordinate dining for a party of 13. But it certainly sounds like you are off to a good start :thumbsup2 We are thinking of staying at OKW next April so thanks for the info on the CS option there.

Looking forward to hearing more. We will also be a large group next year but only 7 so not quite as many as you.

7 sounds like a great number. All 13 of us toured together almost the whole time. You get slowed down with the larger numbers. More bathroom breaks, snack breaks and rest breaks. Our first day snack break took us 40 minutes.:scared1:

We did the Magical Gathering thing a couple of years ago with a party of 9. Logistically, it was something to behold, but a lot of fun.

Bring it on.

It was a lot of fun. We had 13 people Sunday through Friday and then DH, the boys and I left the following Sunday. It really helped to have those 2 extra days with our smaller group to decompress.:)

I'm really enjoying reading your food report!

I was really freaken about all "9" of us eating together, but I feel much better already! Sounds like you made all 13 happy lots of times!

I cant wait to read more!

I am enjoying your report! We are taking 11 people when we go in December and I am trying to figure out where to eat with that many people. I cannot wait to read more.

The cast members were all so accomodating. We never had any problems with our large group. I'm sure your group of 11 will have a magical time.

The biggest problem I had was getting the actual number of people coming confirmed. First we had 12, then 11, then 14 and finally 13 (final count was 4 days out from the trip). I only changed ADRs when we went from 11 to 14. It is much easier when people drop out than when they are added on.

Chef Mickey’s Dinner – We only had a reservation for 11 here at the Contemporary Resort. We sat at one big round table. I think it would have seated 12.

Hey, I think I know that big round table! If it's the one I'm thinking of, we sat there on our first big family trip, back in 2000. We were a party of 13, too, but 1 of our 13 was in a high chair. :rotfl: That's probably why we all fit.

I'm really enjoying your reviews. We usually travel with a big group, too, and I'm always looking for hints. Keep 'em comin'.

:banana:

Pat

143 days and counting . . . again!

Great reviews - thanks so much for 'introducing' the cast :) Were the pizzas included on the dining plan or did you pay OOP?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter