A question about cross stitch patterns for sale on Ebay

Missy1961

Knows who did it and why
I was wondering if any of you have ever purchased computer generated cross stitch patterns from Ebay.

I search for Disney cross stitch items on Ebay all the time & I've noticed these. I haven't bid on any yet, because I was wondering about the quality of them. Plus, I think a lot of them have high opening bids. I'm also not sure about licensing issues.

So have you bid on them? What are they like? Do you think they're worth it?

Thanks in advance!

I have never purchased them simply because I have one of those programs that creates them (got it from nothingbutsoftware.com for about $20 (it was an older version), but it's the same software they use). I don't think people should sell those on Ebay...it's the equivalent of selling CDR's instead of CD's and I'm sure there are copyright issues involved. If its something you're interested in and you have a computer...buy the software and do it yourself (it's super easy). And you can do anything you want (even pics of your kids or dogs or whatever). By the time you've bought a couple of those off of Ebay, you've paid for the software anyway and if you do it yourself, you're guaranteed the quality you want.

Hope that helps ya!

Missy1961 said:
I was wondering if any of you have ever purchased computer generated cross stitch patterns from Ebay.

I search for Disney cross stitch items on Ebay all the time & I've noticed these. I haven't bid on any yet, because I was wondering about the quality of them. Plus, I think a lot of them have high opening bids. I'm also not sure about licensing issues.

So have you bid on them? What are they like? Do you think they're worth it?

Thanks in advance!

I have. Recently in fact. I bought several things from bostonbob5. I haven't stitched them yet, but they came on high quality cardstock with easy to read charts. His prices were not high for his charts. In fact, I was buying 3 and I submitted a lower "best offer" for the 4th and he accepted it. He has a WIDE variety of stuff, but here is his Disney stuff:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&frpp=25&from=R10&satitle=disney&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sadis=200&fpos=43140&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=bostonbob5

He also has some more stuff if you search under his username for "stamp"....they are the Disney postage stamps. :)

Keebles said:
I have never purchased them simply because I have one of those programs that creates them (got it from nothingbutsoftware.com for about $20 (it was an older version), but it's the same software they use). I don't think people should sell those on Ebay...it's the equivalent of selling CDR's instead of CD's and I'm sure there are copyright issues involved. If its something you're interested in and you have a computer...buy the software and do it yourself (it's super easy). And you can do anything you want (even pics of your kids or dogs or whatever). By the time you've bought a couple of those off of Ebay, you've paid for the software anyway and if you do it yourself, you're guaranteed the quality you want.

Hope that helps ya!

It does help. I just bought a new computer & printer/scanner/copier, so I think I'll check out the software.

I wondered about the copyright issues myself.

Do the computer generated ones of your animals or whatever turn out very well?

I've always been a little leary of those myself. The quality looks kinda iffy to me and they are always wayyyy overpriced. I have a version of PCStitch that I havent gotten around to installing yet and I figure I can do whatever they are doing and save myself their high asking prices. I do think though a lot of those charts are probably copyright infringments. If its anything Disney, Warner Brothers or any other big companies like that it would almost have to be infringment wouldnt it? I mean if you think about it, I dont think Disney is gonna give out permission to bostonbob to print out their charts...lol

Years ago when I first started selling on Ebay I was selling an actual Disney Pooh chart. I was contacted by Disney and told that I couldnt do that, I cant remember now exactly why they said I couldnt do it, but thats what they said. The chart said Disney on it and I had got it from someone else, so perhaps it was a copy, I dont know. It was a Pooh chart from 1977 I believe and I didnt sell it, I still have it...lol

I have never bought/made any of the computer ones to me the quality just isn't there and usually there is no backstitching which I think really sets a piece off. Plus I would hate to waste the time stitching one of these and find out when I am done it just doesn't look good. So I will stick with the ones Disney has lended there copyright to legally.

Brutie said:
I've always been a little leary of those myself. The quality looks kinda iffy to me and they are always wayyyy overpriced. I have a version of PCStitch that I havent gotten around to installing yet and I figure I can do whatever they are doing and save myself their high asking prices. I do think though a lot of those charts are probably copyright infringments. If its anything Disney, Warner Brothers or any other big companies like that it would almost have to be infringment wouldnt it? I mean if you think about it, I dont think Disney is gonna give out permission to bostonbob to print out their charts...lol

Years ago when I first started selling on Ebay I was selling an actual Disney Pooh chart. I was contacted by Disney and told that I couldnt do that, I cant remember now exactly why they said I couldnt do it, but thats what they said. The chart said Disney on it and I had got it from someone else, so perhaps it was a copy, I dont know. It was a Pooh chart from 1977 I believe and I didnt sell it, I still have it...lol

PC Stitch is, in fact, the very software I was referring to in my earlier post! It's very user friendly and I have printed several charts (although I have never stitched one). You can put in any true-life photograph or drawing or clip of animation or anything to stitch. The detail of your design depends on the size of the aida and the size of the project, but really the sky is the limit! And I also like the fact that it will tell you the color charts for various brands of thread (not just one).

I have bought a few computer generated x-stitch patterns off ebay in past, and I made one of the patterns and it turned out great. Then I bought myself PCStitch version 7 a few yrs ago and I am absolutely addicted to it. I have made about 60 patterns so far and finshed stitching about 15 and given them away as gifts and everyone has loved them. The program is super easy to use. The next project I plan on making with it is a picture of my nephew I have the pattern made but haven't started stitching it yet. :wizard:

Hi Missy, I use ebay fathfully, I sell my cross stitch items on ebay. I have bought many patterns over the yrs at ebay. I tell people to be VERY careful buying the pc generated patterns for sale. I am speaking from experience...a few of the pc generated patterns I have bought were greeting card patterns and they were TERRIBLE! Real cheap looking and not what I was expecting...but that was me...maybe someone else has had good luck with it? I have never bought a big pattern made by pc. The other problem I had was two of them had no color chart with it, and one the pattern key was so small it was hard to see. I emailed the maker and she was VERY apologetic and fixed my problems. Because of my experience I will not buy pc generated patterns anymore. And yes, I agree with you, some do start out high in price. I know a couple of people who are actually looking into a pc program so they can too sell their patterns on ebay for income. I would also suggest making sure the buyer you are interested in has a high feedback! and of course NO neutral or negative feedbacks, that to me is a red flag!

I'm REALLY sorry, I hate to be negative...BUT I feel people should be warned and hear the truth about my story! Course this does not mean all sellers who are offering their pc generated patterns are not worth the purchase..I just didn't happen to find one. Good luck! Let us know if you do decide to buy one and what type of pattern, I'd be curious if there is anyone else out there with better quality! I hope this opinion helped you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter