A Permanent Trip? Reporting to Mickey!

JediAng

Mouseketeer
Hello, everyone!

I am incredibly excited to record my experience in a trip report, where I am MOVING to Kissimmee, Florida to WORK for Walt Disney World! As the introduction to this "permanent trip" report, here's a little bit about how I got to where I am now.

First, about me, I'm Angela, and I'm 27 years old :)

& I am OBSESSED with Disney <3

My background... Back when I was in college, I successfully completed 3 Disney College Programs from Spring Advantage 2014 (Attractions, The Boneyard, Disney's Animal Kingdom), then I came back home to Arkansas in August of 2014, finished my final semester of college, graduated with my Bachelor's of Science in Radio/TV with an Emphasis on Video-Audio Production and a Minor in Political Science in December 2014. In March 2015, I went back for my second DCP after graduation, where I was a Photopass Photographer in Animal Kingdom, and when that ended in August of 2015, I accepted an extension for same role/same location from August 2015 January 4, 2016. After that ended, which I completed successfully in full on good terms, I moved back home to Arkansas at the request of my parents... My biggest regret ever, leaving where I was happy.

After I left Disney, I decided I needed to use the degree I worked to obtain, and I was a Production Assistant/Editor for a live news network working 6 day 60 hours weeks on part time with no benefits. I was miserable. I did that for over a year, until December 2017, where I had an illness that was so severe they asked me to leave my position, and I did. I left on good terms because they knew the illness I had from October 2017 to February 2018 wasn't my fault, and they saw I was still trying, but it was something I obviously needed to take care of. What I ended up having was an H Pylori infection, long story short... I weighed 80 pounds at 26 years old, and was so weak I ended up in the hospital 3 different times. The second time I was admitted to the hospital was when I left my PA job.

After that ordeal was over, I had a customer service Job at Wal Mart for 6 months, because the Radio/TV field where I live had very few options, and I needed work. I then decided to go back to school for Medical Coding, which is what I am currently working on at the moment. I take my CPC exam on July 13, and hopefully I pass, but it's a hard test and it takes an average of 3 times for people to normally pass it, this will be my second time... Fingers crossed. My long term goal is to find a Coding job in the Orlando area, so i am still close to Disney, but will have a better opportunity...

For now though, I have accepted a part time custodial role in Hollywood Studios and I start July 24th!!! We (my parents are helping me) leave Arkansas and will move me into a house I'm renting on July 12, 4 more days!!! I am renting a room in a house shared with two other girls who are the same age as me. One works for Disney and one is a flight attendant. I will have my own bedroom and private full bath, and a walk in closet with a shared kitchen/living space, and a pool area!

I honestly am so happy, it's not the specific job I want (goal is to get back into Photopass, I absolutely loved it there), but it's the location I want, so I took it :) There are no words to describe how happy I am to be going back to Disney. I was truly happier there, and now that I've been away, I have realized how true that is.

Next Update will be how I packed, and I will post on July 11th, the night before we start the drive from Little Rock, AR to Kissimmee, FL :)

:dancer: Woo Hoo! A dream come true! :love: It sounds like Disney is the perfect place for your to be right now!
The apartment sounds like it will give you your own private space but also give you a chance to save some money rooming with others and hopefully you will form close friendships with your roomates.

My son just graduated from college where he worked for the Video production studio that televised all the sports events along with ESPN. He started out filming his high school baskeball team on a volunteer basis and continued to do so even after he graduated. So, the college job was perfect for him. He really loved it and will miss it. His major is Geography so he his currently looking for a job in that field.

:dancer: Woo Hoo! A dream come true! :love: It sounds like Disney is the perfect place for your to be right now!
The apartment sounds like it will give you your own private space but also give you a chance to save some money rooming with others and hopefully you will form close friendships with your roomates.

My son just graduated from college where he worked for the Video production studio that televised all the sports events along with ESPN. He started out filming his high school baskeball team on a volunteer basis and continued to do so even after he graduated. So, the college job was perfect for him. He really loved it and will miss it. His major is Geography so he his currently looking for a job in that field.

Thanks!!! I loved being an editor. And I still enjoy tv production, but the field is just SO competitive. Things are becoming more computerized, and now local stations don't even really have PA's anymore, everything is digital and they have one director, so that makes finding a job even harder. I hope I can get into that field with Disney eventually, and I'm on the right path by getting my foot in the door right now. :)

Good luck on the coding test! I'm going to take it later this year!

Thanks!!! I loved being an editor. And I still enjoy tv production, but the field is just SO competitive. Things are becoming more computerized, and now local stations don't even really have PA's anymore, everything is digital and they have one director, so that makes finding a job even harder. I hope I can get into that field with Disney eventually, and I'm on the right path by getting my foot in the door right now. :)

You are right, working at Disney is your first step. You will be able to get general experience with the company in different roles that will be an asset to you when a position in their production department opens for you. Just hang in there!

After that ordeal was over, I had a customer service Job at Wal Mart for 6 months, because the Radio/TV field where I live had very few options, and I needed work. I then decided to go back to school for Medical Coding, which is what I am currently working on at the moment. I take my CPC exam on July 13, and hopefully I pass, but it's a hard test and it takes an average of 3 times for people to normally pass it, this will be my second time... Fingers crossed. My long term goal is to find a Coding job in the Orlando area, so i am still close to Disney, but will have a better opportunity...

My degree is in Radio/Television, too. And Despite living in a BIG market (Dallas) when I graduated, I only found a job like you: 60+ hours a week, part time, no benefits. (This was in the 80's)

SO happy you are following your heart and making this move. Can't wait to follow along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter