A "hidden" attraction - Animation Academy

We did it for the first time last trip and it was great! My son (almost 5) loved it although he needed a little help. I never knew this existed, and we just happened on it while killing some time waiting for our TSM fastpasses. It's now on our "must do" list for future trips.
Unfortunately, we drew stitch, our least favorite disney character of all time, but we'll be back next trip for sure!

Ok, I have never heard of this and I have to do it! Wondering how long the classes are and if they run during PM EMH hours? And do they run on the hour or maybe on the half hour, I want to be sure to fit this in!

And thanks SO much to the OP. I've done Magic of Animation many times, but never knew about this. :cool1:

Oh, I do this *way* too often. :lmao: I love it over there. I tend to visit at least once a week.

Classes run daily, from 10:30 am until park close (the final class is at park close; i.e., if DHS closes at 8, the final Animation class is at 8). Classes run for about 20 minutes and take place on the hour and the half-hour. Animation is also open for PM EMH.

It's an absolute blast, the artists (and non-artists) are awesome, and you get a free souvineer. Doesn't get much better than that!

Boy, you guys did an awesome job!!!! My drawings were horrible!!!! It is fun though. Almost our whole gang of travelers do it and we have almost as much fun afterwards laughing at whose drawing is the worst!

So if you go through the shop do you need to do the preshow? We did not see the academy last year. I'm not sure they would sit through the preshow again.

I am so looking forward to this on my next trip...I have never heard of this before, and I had read a previous post about it as well. It sounds fun and an interesting new thing to do at Disney. Hopefully, I will be bale to find where it is, so I don't miss out. :confused3

Thanks for sharing!! DF would looove to do this! Your drawings came out pretty good! DF and I took an animation class on our last Disney Cruise and let's just say that my Goofy looked really really goofy. :rolleyes1 :laughing:

ortholablady - your Pooh is so cute. I wanted to draw Pooh, but was outvoted, and we did Donald again.

salukfan - thanks for the information on the hours of operation

You can absolutely skip the preshow - I only saw it once. To get to it without the preshow, go through the art gift shop to right of the main "magic of disney animation" entrance. You'll pass through a room with the animation oscars. After that room, turn right and you'll run right into the waiting area for the animation academy.

Oh! and another tip: after class don't forget to ask your teacher for a rubberband so you can roll up your drawing and keep it better protected.

weve done this a couple of times and its great fun - I am hoping to take DH and my pluto and frame them some how -

mine is much better than his :rotfl2:

oh and I am so jealous someone got tink - our teacher said she was too hard!

Last time (2 weeks ago) we had a special class and drew Tink!

Wow. What were the circumstances? Did you have a very small class or something? Last class of the night? I'd love to draw Scar, but they said he was too complicated for the class.

There is no pre-show. The ENTRANCE to the attraction first takes you through a short show entitled Drawn to Animation, where you will learn how disney characters (currently Mushu) are created. Then you can walk into the Animation Station, where there are a variety of activities, including character meet and greets, interactive kiosks, and of course the Animation Academy, which is being talked about on this thread.

The shop is the EXIT of the attraction.

Love it! This is one of my favorite things to do at Disney. Last time I got to hang out with the artists a few times after the classes. Timmy is definetely my favorite, he even drew a picture of Stitch for me :D

Agreed!! Timmy Britt is the Best one there, to bad he works at Disney Quest now.... we asked last month for him and thats what we were told.

Ames

We have taken this class about 10-15 times total now and we always head to it through the gift shop. It runs every half hour and they artists will evaluate the class, kid to adult ratio in deciding a character. We always ask when we have finished our first class what they "plan" on drawing next and they usually hint to us, depending again on the above factors. We have done Stitch open mouth, Stich closed mouth, Tigger laughing, Daisy, Donald, Goofy, Mickey, Pooh, Minnie, Dale, and others I am forgetting.

This is our favorite place to hang out at DHS!

Ames

I'm hoping somebody can draw Ariel next time we go.

This is one of my favorite non ride attractions in the park. We always try to stop at it at least once a trip but I have noticed once people realize what it is, it fills up fast. Last time I was at the Studios was Christmas Day 2006. The park wasn't that crowded (ToT was a walk on in the middle of the day, Rock N Roller Coaster was a 30 minute wait standby at the same time), but once people started asking why everyone was standing in that area and the CM told them what it was, it filled up and people were asking what time to come back for the next show. You also want to try to make sure you are one of the first in the room so you don't have to use the lap desks and can use a real desk.

My DH and DD love to do this too. When we were there a few weeks ago, they drew Mickey Mouse. Later in the week at breakfast at Chef Mickey's my DD had the characters sign her drawing. Since we have so many other autographed books, signed tshirts, etc, this was a nice way to have her get autographs in a different way that she was very proud of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter