A Grand Tour of The Entire Midwest, But Mostly Wisconsin (UPDATE 11/12--BONUS Texas TR NOW COMPLETE)

Playing a whole lot of catch-up
And I thought I’d start off over here.
Enjoyed the HH excursion and the Extensive coverage your “foray into Iowa”, but It’s probably best if I just pick back up with the most recent update.

Chapter 17: I Keep Forgetting I’m Not In Kansas!
You don’t want any of those apples any way…

In the morning, we crossed once more into Iowa.
Twice across the line; you can check that one off
Yeah it’s somewhat of a technicality, but there are entire nations being run based on technicalities…
It counts in my book

Well, that’s enough of Iowa. On to Missouri!
A good compromise.

Better than the last one at least.

We had about a 2.5-hour drive from the Omaha area down to Kansas City.
Child’s play compared to the paces that y’all put that Prairie Schooner through the day before.

However, I usually try to find things to do that we couldn’t do back home.
::yes::
Unless there’s something unique about that particular version of the experience in question.
Or… it ticks off a box in someone’s experience collection
(say like seeing as many great stadiums as possible).

Don’t worry! @pkondz has the random mall photos covered in his
Dear Lord I’ve gotten so far behind around here…

And yes, it’s a much more expensive lunch than peanut-butter-and-jelly
Well, so is BOG, but it needs to be tried at least once.
(and we’ll be taking care of that one in May)

but come on! There’s a train!
Cool! All BOG has is a rose under glass.

When you’re ready to order your food, you use a phone at the table and call it into the kitchen.
Interesting… A bit like a drive-in
Also cuts down on the paid wait-staff required I’d imagine.

And your smallest kids can ignore everyone and just watch the model train displays around the restaurant.
You know good and well that you were doing the same thing.
I ‘spect Julie had to elbow you in ribs to get you to focus long enough to place the order.

After making your order, you pass the time by taking Stupid Hat Photos©.
I’ll keep it in mind, but it’s really better for human kind that I’m not actually visible in too many photographs, ya’ know.

Finally, the moment arrives. The system is pretty ingenious. The track is hung on the outside wall and circles the restaurant. The train rides along the track and has a tray suspended underneath it through a slot in the middle of the track. There’s a switch above every table that corresponds to your table number, and as the train approaches your table, the switch gets activated and a lever pops out that simply pushes the food off the train and onto another tray hanging above the booth. Then that tray is automatically lowered to your table. We were fascinated watching all of the orders being delivered.
Vittles ala Rube Goldberg.

The kids absolutely loved it.

Big kids, too.
And…

Come on, fess up.

The food itself was…fine. Nothing real special from a culinary standpoint. I do like the fact that they didn’t force me to choose between fries and onion rings. But we’d go back for the experience more than the menu.
Not surprised, but it is one heck of a gimmick.

We hoofed it back to the museum. Remember all those downhill slopes we walked to get to the restaurant? Well, now they were all uphill.
Both ways…
Bare foot…
In the snow!

Sorry…
That response was just a natural reflex
Kind’s hard to shut those down, ya’ know.

Well, that and the Hulk damage. Yes, Scotty still "happens", in case you were wondering. We need to stop exposing him to gamma rays.

2punex1AbbCZ9xCjJfTmqkUgocMyRSzfpF8_BNvcNVn9ivzg_HnFtbGp6hlMi7Nx-lzZXcHTCy2zpb9GBWuG2yF2JtihZ-Xtx-raJ8K-fXgz6qNLcn1VeK1Pifo3wlKKqEoFC847e1ebiT44nc3Auveb10vogm4xBlMM-SO5BQqaFWNuPLRyUQRDSMwAjazzIYcWmUEk75-t4KZxMAyinIlipxpzeN5oXMCx4ZHDXPun0Mzo_CzqP4N-dUMrsG8wAXefBKo2zP_oOnlNabkWvQqSX1Y83ykqRYplhObIIIFReny3Y_Y_SP33sblvmmqkPQUqSKxdKZyTJohz2tLOUugJo5Tf6O99wgeoTWB9AcbBodMU_RxcZNVQQHlO3BNW_ZYA8rL1qoqU01h3RCAsFintBvd9tU2Dz22I0IZ125H7Ukr8qjzL-T1dYHbpV5qiXm9t5Nwt1XSUjI0I68fa9Dk932Q7xjnen-Xs3ll7iSlwbnPKvStbXpJfHJz_Ukssn4aHQ_nW_5_yCT3Yq-03nQuYH1vxHdsGWdoFw4baVPJdse0m_OHn783FbC5sp85KrzzjrxnwPl3zmxDd5_D7GcfJ-3Nkh8TCidw2KWbk4-3AyXRt_eun=w1240-h827-no
Naaaa…
More Gamma
More Greatness.

By the way, was that an art installation as part of the museum or was it simple a damaged bench?

I didn’t find the surrounding steps to be very stroller-friendly, so I took matters into my own hands.
Nice use of inclined plans there.
Simple Tools are good tools

(and cheap tools are expensive tools, but that a different conversation)

the museum is terrific and well worth the visit.
Consider it added to the list.
Now just to find the time to get there.

There’s an example of an infantry trench and an explanation of trench warfare, which is every bit as miserable as you might imagine.
And I’m pretty sure that image of awfulness even excluded the standing water, vermin and bodies that couldn’t be cleaned out.

<<shudder>>

Unfortunately, a thunderstorm had popped up while we were inside and they’d closed the tower due to lightning in the area. So I took a photo of the city from the base of the tower instead.

ii1sVc5FOBDHFlwe8XYJEtWmLX7_YII1vU9yBaBMfeIX1ATntRyiy6BZDQGoSwe5TvHDDUcWgQMvreM1ItNISAreTiIm0cvqIGxFgcUqW86aPaIREczgBmh0KdpGRNUoYH1khndL2FSz108C02SJ0HuW67pJX-1k5bHpIyA_oMvwwSeOD8vD0pdqCmwcUktLF42-po9einyC21caGjzUByjqfI7u_JSp6Z8ilzCMAYB5Rd8WG0wqIHMokPY-aMVhFGuQAX3VRej6nI0KTHOgVWHOvH8OzWx89NvoZ_pT527DGEfyC0Ca9jOK46tfn8WhdzaUlchVeBXi-eRlqtOJroIVmrfNB7lKM2PyFi2mI2EtlXTOYg6cgS4Nfa8v4FLsflj8PUsbPvKv1TpPy2d8qqwruiLI6nIwGyAnQDGOJgFwFTfg-SW59zk0rQbu85Ofo87LyJd8gfBG6zW9-fOPyMOT7MsiNVUrDM1hnKN2ExI-Hop5btlf4o1PtMvmpUIAIcREmEN_CTd3ZcBGpuuMd2e5ep1QC3b5rgU7kGk1Znbiw9zJWsTKpm1X-rmH7E5NOjfsb983oYX91hvaVwMOSO6Ml6aGQWgc06awC0RzQsuv3dieFrga=w1240-h827-no
Unfortunate…

But still an impressive image.

Since we didn’t get to go in the tower, we called an audible and drove across the street to the Money Museum.
Interesting…
I’ve been through the Denver Mint way back when, but I’ve not seen any of the processes for “paper” currency.

Just before you leave, there’s a table set up where the government offers every visitor bags of cash to grab on their way out, and now I’m dying inside, because there are so many great punchlines set up here that I can’t use because of the “no politics” rule. But you can imagine them, and they’re all hilarious, right?
Yep…
Except for the ones that just make you want to cry.

The city is famous for its BBQ,
So I’ve been informed…

I’d planned a meet-up with Aaron
Very cool!

“How about we have an Iron Chef-style dinner, where I pick up dishes from a few of the BBQ joints and we taste them all to decide which is best?”

Naturally, the only suitable response to this question is, “Please adopt me”.
There…
I Un-Fixed that one for ya’

We really enjoyed our evening with Aaron and his family—they were wonderful, friendly, generous and welcoming hosts. Along with their pet triceratops.
I do believe we may just be missing part of the story here.

You are now #3 on the Evil List.
Well I guess that's better than being told I'm number 2...... unless that means I'm actually UNDER no. 2 :scared:

You know, when there was an issue with a math test, I thought it was the actual math, I had no idea that the counting was already the issue!! :scared1:

(Yes, I am going for the no. 4 spot here.... Marv is great company!)
Awwww..... :flower3:

Much better than #2.
Hey, that's what I said..... :rolleyes1

After months of being off the Dis, I finally came back to catch up on some trip reports and your's was one of them. There is simply waaaaaaay too much to comment on so I'll just say that I'm caught up and "thanks for all the laughs" you gave me while catching up.

Playing a whole lot of catch-up
And I thought I’d start off over here.
Enjoyed the HH excursion and the Extensive coverage your “foray into Iowa”, but It’s probably best if I just pick back up with the most recent update.

No problem. I've been there myself, where trying to catch up feels so hopeless, you just give up and dive into the latest chapter. We've all done it. It's good to have you back, Rob!

You don’t want any of those apples any way…

Yeah, they're probably rotten.

Twice across the line; you can check that one off
Yeah it’s somewhat of a technicality, but there are entire nations being run based on technicalities…
It counts in my book

Unfortunately, I think Oklahoma is going to receive similar treatment this summer.

A good compromise.

Better than the last one at least.

Sometimes, compromises can be wonderful things. Sometimes, not so much.

Child’s play compared to the paces that y’all put that Prairie Schooner through the day before.

Always good to try and balance these trips out.

::yes::
Unless there’s something unique about that particular version of the experience in question.
Or… it ticks off a box in someone’s experience collection
(say like seeing as many great stadiums as possible).

Absolutely. Or collecting poker chips from Harley Davidson stores.

Dear Lord I’ve gotten so far behind around here…

Again...I know the feeling!

Well, so is BOG, but it needs to be tried at least once.
(and we’ll be taking care of that one in May)

Good for you!

Cool! All BOG has is a rose under glass.

Well, they have lightning effects too.

Interesting… A bit like a drive-in
Also cuts down on the paid wait-staff required I’d imagine.

I'm sure that's part of it. No clue how much the maintenance costs for the system compare.

You know good and well that you were doing the same thing.
I ‘spect Julie had to elbow you in ribs to get you to focus long enough to place the order.

:rolleyes1 There's a reason she's on the phone and not me.

I’ll keep it in mind, but it’s really better for human kind that I’m not actually visible in too many photographs, ya’ know.

Stupid hats make every photo better, though. They're the bacon of the photo world.

Vittles ala Rube Goldberg.

:thumbsup2

And…

Come on, fess up.

Don't I count as a big kid?

Not surprised, but it is one heck of a gimmick.

Agreed.

Both ways…
Bare foot…
In the snow!

Sorry…
That response was just a natural reflex
Kind’s hard to shut those down, ya’ know.

I totally understand. We were all thinking it.

Naaaa…
More Gamma
More Greatness.

By the way, was that an art installation as part of the museum or was it simple a damaged bench?

Just a damaged bench that provided some inspiration.

Nice use of inclined plans there.
Simple Tools are good tools

(and cheap tools are expensive tools, but that a different conversation)

I figured you'd think of it as a photo of a tool using a tool.

Consider it added to the list.
Now just to find the time to get there.

Make sure you grab some BBQ!

And I’m pretty sure that image of awfulness even excluded the standing water, vermin and bodies that couldn’t be cleaned out.

<<shudder>>

It was a sanitized war trench, for sure.

Unfortunate…

But still an impressive image.

:thanks:

Interesting…
I’ve been through the Denver Mint way back when, but I’ve not seen any of the processes for “paper” currency.

It was just a glimpse, but an interesting glimpse nonetheless.

Yep…
Except for the ones that just make you want to cry.

I thought that was all of them.

Very cool!

:thumbsup2

There…
I Un-Fixed that one for ya’

It works.

I do believe we may just be missing part of the story here.

Not much. That came out late in the evening, and I don't even remember what prompted Aaron to show off the triceratops. Something about ridiculous birthday gifts. We figured it fit in the photo, because DIS Dads.

Walt was an ambulance driver during WWI. He volunteered when he was 16.

Cool! I did not know that. Just when you think you know everything Disney...

When I left Austin, I stocked up at a BBQ joint in the airport. Lasted me a couple of days at home. Happy eating.

Can't blame you there. These days, I'd take BBQ over almost any other meal.

Well I guess that's better than being told I'm number 2...... unless that means I'm actually UNDER no. 2 :scared:

I had so many job interviews where I was told I was the #2 guy, and I replied, "Yeah, it sure feels like it."

Awwww..... :flower3:

We love you, Marv.

Hey, that's what I said..... :rolleyes1

Well, I said it first!

I'm sure that could be arranged.

Ew.

And you guys accuse me of TMI! :eek:

I don't know what they have planned, but count me out.

After months of being off the Dis, I finally came back to catch up on some trip reports and your's was one of them. There is simply waaaaaaay too much to comment on so I'll just say that I'm caught up and "thanks for all the laughs" you gave me while catching up.

Hey, welcome back Lisa! Good to hear from you around these parts again! I'm flattered you sought me out!

Thank you for that well researched and well written ode to Iowa.

In my research, one Kansas City attraction stood out to me: the nation’s only World War I Museum.

I'd be right there with ya. Went to our war museum in our nation's capitol and it included WWI. Fascinating.

Don’t worry! @pkondz has the random mall photos covered in his TR.

You're welcome.

Ok, maybe that doesn’t sound very exciting. What if I told you we were eating at Fritz’s?

Still nothing?

Yes!! I've heard of it! I didn't remember the name, but the train delivery? Yep!

And yes, it’s a much more expensive lunch than peanut-butter-and-jelly, but come on! There’s a train!

'nuff said.

There was a line to get in, even before noon. I looked for the Fastpass+ entry, but couldn't find it. No single diner line, either.

Clearly this restaurant is failing at restauranting.

When you’re ready to order your food, you use a phone at the table and call it into the kitchen.

Cool! Didn't know that part.

And your smallest kids can ignore everyone and just watch the model train displays around the restaurant.

As would I. I can see people any time.

After making your order, you pass the time by taking Stupid Hat Photos©.

Well, of course you do. Look at those hats!

Finally, the moment arrives. The system is pretty ingenious. The track is hung on the outside wall and circles the restaurant. The train rides along the track and has a tray suspended underneath it through a slot in the middle of the track. There’s a switch above every table that corresponds to your table number, and as the train approaches your table, the switch gets activated and a lever pops out that simply pushes the food off the train and onto another tray hanging above the booth. Then that tray is automatically lowered to your table. We were fascinated watching all of the orders being delivered.

I would spend a lot of time doing the exact same thing.

Great shots! :thumbsup2

If you’ve never had food delivered to your table by train before, you have to try it at least once. It’s so cool!

I really want to do this.
But will I remember?

Probably not.

We hoofed it back to the museum. Remember all those downhill slopes we walked to get to the restaurant? Well, now they were all uphill.

Poor city planning.

Well, that and the Hulk damage. Yes, Scotty still "happens", in case you were wondering. We need to stop exposing him to gamma rays.

Boy eats his vegetables.

Radioactive vegetables.. but still.

I didn’t find the surrounding steps to be very stroller-friendly, so I took matters into my own hands.

LUmQ2t1W11R1sVRv1r4LFMvCh25WA7zXXmPnhS4QdduHB23ed9Vqdsdhdzd9nOh5gt0AUl-_Ywlbrq4F938WxKMr96L8Zazr_B5yirvpvPdjX2NNtgvfA9p5I956YXL_TAYbQlFOwmKMyovYSP9pgIRvIfGlH-Nkza_W_pn9RLzhcwEQxvdjenAk2DarEOCRMe7NaTtNfpk8t3ICdbuOW4hLfZKUzpoDow0TbpSoQQsVeqmuFR0txXIVdvCsDMQ1bOrHl23HXbrm3qu4JRLVg_k_9jFsVf11-u9w3tXHVbyKoJUWkSALcfvYRQWW8nHSIuWXATMBOHufg2_Bzhqz2_0whYJYsg4ByfIJ1AppdUt_g9nHH07AIo66RTmXRQeoZR0We0LNq4apoq88S_3w1mMswaHB60RWtIPT0kiPDTiARxT45zeurqfICwCyez9SzOUur71TpEi-NLsWpGrDnELQxUsSMPkX2y6NveikHZnTdj731ELrm7u9NLbQi49CNYzmLE7KUQwivkJe-GFIHbSyM75xwewFziIcPxo0YnduRZdsYndo-IItqVPFntqChgVbMlenjipl2ILbCwu6rdfxR6C8DJ4NoUn2yF9DEge6xlafNZfG=w1240-h827-no

With a caboose, too.

After a short introductory film, we crossed a glass bridge over a field of artificial poppies.

In Flanders Fields.... written by a Canadian. You're welcome.

There are 9,000 poppies present, each representing 1,000 deaths for a total of 9 million who died in the war

:sad2:

Man... That's horrible.

We seem to spend more time on World War II in our classrooms, probably because it’s an easier conflict to explain.

Plus more recent. Major events tend to be lessened over time.

There’s an example of an infantry trench and an explanation of trench warfare, which is every bit as miserable as you might imagine.

Yup. I'll take a pass on that. Thanks.

So I took a photo of the city from the base of the tower instead.

ii1sVc5FOBDHFlwe8XYJEtWmLX7_YII1vU9yBaBMfeIX1ATntRyiy6BZDQGoSwe5TvHDDUcWgQMvreM1ItNISAreTiIm0cvqIGxFgcUqW86aPaIREczgBmh0KdpGRNUoYH1khndL2FSz108C02SJ0HuW67pJX-1k5bHpIyA_oMvwwSeOD8vD0pdqCmwcUktLF42-po9einyC21caGjzUByjqfI7u_JSp6Z8ilzCMAYB5Rd8WG0wqIHMokPY-aMVhFGuQAX3VRej6nI0KTHOgVWHOvH8OzWx89NvoZ_pT527DGEfyC0Ca9jOK46tfn8WhdzaUlchVeBXi-eRlqtOJroIVmrfNB7lKM2PyFi2mI2EtlXTOYg6cgS4Nfa8v4FLsflj8PUsbPvKv1TpPy2d8qqwruiLI6nIwGyAnQDGOJgFwFTfg-SW59zk0rQbu85Ofo87LyJd8gfBG6zW9-fOPyMOT7MsiNVUrDM1hnKN2ExI-Hop5btlf4o1PtMvmpUIAIcREmEN_CTd3ZcBGpuuMd2e5ep1QC3b5rgU7kGk1Znbiw9zJWsTKpm1X-rmH7E5NOjfsb983oYX91hvaVwMOSO6Ml6aGQWgc06awC0RzQsuv3dieFrga=w1240-h827-no

That's a really good photo! Lots of depth to it.

Admission is free, and you know how we feel about things that are free.

You're a fan?

Another wall showed exactly what $40 million worth of hundred-dollar bills would look like stacked against the wall.

Reminds me. How many (usually older) movies have you seen where the crooks steal $10 million in cash... in a duffel bag?

In a few more years, this will also represent the amount of money it will take for me and my family to visit Disney World for a week.

:lmao:

And yet.... so true.

There was a window into the actual Federal Reserve. No photos were allowed, but you could see automated robots transporting stacks of cash for storage, and others to be taken out of circulation.

Cool! Or so I imagine?

Just before you leave, there’s a table set up where the government offers every visitor bags of cash to grab on their way out, and now I’m dying inside, because there are so many great punchlines set up here that I can’t use because of the “no politics” rule. But you can imagine them, and they’re all hilarious, right?

Nope. Being a foreigner, I can't imagine any at all...

:rolleyes1

The city is famous for its BBQ, and we felt like eating anything else for dinner would be a sin.

Do not pass Go. Go straight to hell.

“How about we have an Iron Chef-style dinner, where I pick up dishes from a few of the BBQ joints and we taste them all to decide which is best?”

:faint:

Naturally, the only suitable response to this question is, “Please adopt me I’m in the car and on my way.” So that settled it.

No kidding!!!

Is he still looking for new friends?

· Pork and brisket from Gates BBQ

· Brisket and Ribs from Jack Stack BBQ

· Brisket and chicken from Joe’s KC BBQ

· Burnt ends and ribs from Burnt End BBQ

And all of the accompanying side dishes. It was enough barbecue to make a grown man weep with joy.

Oh.... My.... God.....

Look at it! Just... Look at it!!!!

Christmas is gonna look very pedestrian this year.

As for a side dish, the baked beans from Jack Stack were out of this world. Apparently they put the beans in the smoker along with the meat, and whatever pieces of meat or fat or whatever fall into the beans just get served right along with them.

oh... Lord..... :faint:

That makes for the best beans ever. You should try them, especially because beans are good for your heart.

Especially the more you eat.

We really enjoyed our evening with Aaron and his family—they were wonderful, friendly, generous and welcoming hosts. Along with their pet triceratops.

F_pk4GiwOygQ0gQoXWHzQYz9m4J3CTtk__jh41UX-XrAgBRH1Yn8-DjG_x3rJOCNcPDwB66A_9z1sQwKVrPlwaBs9Vs4RJ-iovcnM46fgdUOJ4H7A5iSFl-8AfW6z4K1Vg_iRjB3ENAuTqZ8YFgabG-48oKnrFpCetzX-vo4KDYGQngrirlF4KNkz20Wh22pKsyvRVlbHEgSQoPP_xO49fIvO_ZAJMQgWEZ55seErd3YkLJi2-D8bOYcanU3bO9b24Mwiq4ke5PgRzvLd_fDHKLm5vJlkBy3qimGRP-hsgL8g8SPzFYnW4za-07QzVKLgx7Nr6cKMMqai7bVCY2cvZX2yc-xEzhzFZkWRNDGlzUGib0r4_hGJiuQ9mLv-OIvU0wiKFc3QzxEFfBu1o8BuS7pBwosPfmeAlVvmnUISb_Eev2ZnVUkTyQCMO3hKdj-5my80NlcjOQqZO9OUvALK68caSTjUUcE2T_sb4M1m3FzEQUqr4GAXvLtl0WYLrUq9C7iHhOdItKkfvKINl7bMc8-9-HNgTMDVhiXs9-A7WVLgPhcrd5gL5oIKT6r2yah07zYE-1Sj31p4Mp5m68W-rhW-tonmZps6LL2kzgc4aA8fz6iHUhV=w564-h845-no

That's a Kansas thing, I'm betting. Too cold up here for 'em.

Don't worry. I'd never stoop to writing a whole chapter about a shopping mall. I mean, who does that?:confused3

Not me. I included other useless stuff too.

unless that means I'm actually UNDER no. 2 :scared:

I'm sure that could be arranged.

Okay... just.... gross.

Absolutely. Or collecting poker chips from Harley Davidson stores.

Everyone needs a hobby. Mine is cheap. Those things usually only cost about a buck.

I'm sure he'll be around, once the authorities give him his weekly internet time.

I'm thinking of retracting everything I ever wrote here.

Then I thought "Why reward him?"

Hi! Ok I haven't been here in awhile but I am all caught up now! I loved hearing about your stay at Disney's HHR, it looks like a really fun place. The Grand Villa also looked incredible!
The place with the train-delivering food service looks so cool!
Looking forward to the rest of the TR!

-Alison

Nice update!

The train restaurant looks awesome! Looks like the kids got a big kick out of that place!

Drew with that bag of money ... so cute!

And your Dismeet with a ton of BBQ looks pretty awesome!

I wish I could say that...have had to make a couple of business trips to DesMoines lately.

Have you been to Jimmy John's on Route 202, just north of Rt 1, near Chadds Ford / Glen Mills PA? They don't deliver with trains but they have quite a few to watch. And the hot dogs are pretty good.

Nice!

World War I often gets glossed over in our history classes, mostly because there was no single factor that incited the war

And throw in the fact that all of the aristocratic muckity-mucks were first cousins (England, Germany, Russia), it was basically just a family reunion brawl.

Another wall showed exactly what $40 million worth of hundred-dollar bills would look like stacked against the wall.

That's a great idea! I have mine under the bed and now I keep hitting my head on the ceiling when I sit up.

We met up with Aaron and his family at his house. He had made the rounds and I helped him unload all of the goodies out of his car. The total haul included:

· Pork and brisket from Gates BBQ

· Brisket and Ribs from Jack Stack BBQ

· Brisket and chicken from Joe’s KC BBQ

· Burnt ends and ribs from Burnt End BBQ

And all of the accompanying side dishes. It was enough barbecue to make a grown man weep with joy.

4Y1ajS75SO1kIiTo_EL9HiQFgZGoiBuzGYDKlQjX6jpHohryvs2Mp-lXwPFdY9VOjOGuZuAzk3-HQCNJ2Rq5k_hAcsZ30kVS8Dk7OivuB-l2GCdnKWQ7dLdr6pChPt6zbRR7XdFwDWTfTnwa2Xu6msEzn7cUqmwQOw4X0qGtEfClEGOm_NAwajicRm2DdVa-yJtPeYw-Gg7SMBQnxfpYRVeZVBGiw2fgx4k8Tyk2I4RzjewMPB0-C0zZywrxlc4WfAjvOA4GCSZ5M3uMW1FoFLyrKE7LO_kyYLH3tuXlp9A1Rlyzg9ArK8qUNTFZKryRPFonelMaqRIPqB_3dL3uTX5WTHBUGojG4TgqDFaW8r8CV87ipHdnPJdKUsiup1Fixhn4uagoRr9RBMy1rdVj0Gz_XcZQxJzJ9arYoibtCBN4821i1RalhFxq_9K15zosBxc4MOkYPIE5nur1dbW4F5Q7fzVrd7sXJkM9PDAGy143iuQ4Vkv7UwA03tGUK2SrwD8wzNoocv8MWwIzvlbYK_pT2Wmm38kaCM85skEqpGIJgbxG9aGLHTmuK2Ng1aQBe-VoxFoRpKL4vGDRK-0k3Ykj9lNpD7uOszG0mSO4SpHifJ8rMUaB=w1240-h827-no

What? Only 4 places?! Come on!

(Seriously though, that looks awesome.)

You should try them, especially because beans are good for your heart.

I heard that somewhere.

Thank you for that well researched and well written ode to Iowa.

I do all of this work for you, my faithful readers.

I'd be right there with ya. Went to our war museum in our nation's capitol and it included WWI. Fascinating.

It certainly was worth the time spent. No regrets.

You're welcome.

I'm going to lose a lot of points over these wisecracks, aren't I?

Yes!! I've heard of it! I didn't remember the name, but the train delivery? Yep!

Wow, I didn't think anyone would know about it! I just happened to stumble upon the place while researching places to eat.

Clearly this restaurant is failing at restauranting.

Or Disney-ing, at least.

Cool! Didn't know that part.

I'm sure that cuts down on the paid help.

As would I. I can see people any time.

Exactly. Plus, trains.

Well, of course you do. Look at those hats!

We're powerless to resist!

I would spend a lot of time doing the exact same thing.

Those trains were like fart jokes...they never got old!

Great shots! :thumbsup2

Thank you, sir!

I really want to do this.
But will I remember?

Probably not.

Don't worry, I'll be around to remind you.

Poor city planning.

Darn right. I should write an angrily-worded letter to their government.

Boy eats his vegetables.

Radioactive vegetables.. but still.

That must be why I don't have any super powers. It's that whole "vegetables" thing. Blech.

With a caboose, too.

Hey, I've been working out lately, and I resent that!

Oh, you mean Scotty. I hope.

In Flanders Fields.... written by a Canadian. You're welcome.

Indeed. That must have been the inspiration.

:sad2:

Man... That's horrible.

Absolutely. Such a high cost for a war that really didn't end up solving much of anything.

Plus more recent. Major events tend to be lessened over time.

That's definitely true. Recency bias, or something to that effect.

Yup. I'll take a pass on that. Thanks.

I can't imagine how people went through all that and lived to tel the tale.

That's a really good photo! Lots of depth to it.

Thanks a lot!

You're a fan?

If it's free, it's for me!

Reminds me. How many (usually older) movies have you seen where the crooks steal $10 million in cash... in a duffel bag?

Oh, man. That's a cliche at this point! They'd need a forklift!

:lmao:

And yet.... so true.

I'm already cringing at that bill. And I haven't even planned a trip yet! It's gonna hurt.

Cool! Or so I imagine?

Probably more interesting than cool. After a while, I'm sure it would get boring. But it was neat to peek behind the scenes.

Nope. Being a foreigner, I can't imagine any at all...

:rolleyes1

I'll just have to imagine that you guys were laughing really hard.

Do not pass Go. Go straight to hell.

Seriously. If any of you pass up BBQ in KC...

No kidding!!!

Is he still looking for new friends?

The worst he can do is say no!

Actually, that would suck.

Oh.... My.... God.....

9Xj5R1yZ-RXn9t1mJHq5TIK8M4EtcNWN0ZaVevTPhLmQCqBBSgLbEjfPjtZvEMVNYAMcEnMaWgSFJOh3luUosiuBATE6mXgL0LDb7VBFdDOItUNA3xQC_KO5-zXWIkYEWPuUvIuzGZMkwFV_FzPgRM8IFRBpdk8A28JV65gop7Q9yLPeHZkAlBUmHbKK2OaD3m2OB0v0qFjPSXrDpYitonB-z8TDJuAyYFRgD4CQfUqMCVF617zeaqzlIbg8WLBwRDDSQAd6YWRhHHVtBFlPL5SbEXSalLgDN-D3nedttez5Fbj9YtnMj-nTa7j0A57fJBRmtkVkqW5vBMZMT4qzbx2TUOj8qBT46ZVbsFqtwz8wrg6A93oOn7YkTlAEp1Ps_7jc5rw1jQuQsNSRc9S81gXiR0-WshbD4JAbwgg2OUGmeLmnTqmHGsjZPjcTjWo3OAcJkvohGmQHj87Zgb_CRV7gE6p4DU0mFiOOb8N4SO62b6VHqV9W4ftzopso9rDCNSNXgzptrrWAkUiRKHViAR9qs7J98BdDi4Ckd6YduA4_ihUS1-5m-yzelCyXaeeIe6Fb8X1dI3qM4Jo7AM8yXd8lJ5omu0yfmhpN3MBLvRfqJVuN9S4r=w279-h320-no

Forgot to put that in the chapter anyway.

Look at it! Just... Look at it!!!!

Christmas is gonna look very pedestrian this year.

For the next 5 years, I should think.

oh... Lord..... :faint:

Mmmm...fat...

Especially the more you eat.

See? It doesn't get old!
:rotfl2:

That's a Kansas thing, I'm betting. Too cold up here for 'em.

Probably. I would expect more pterodactyls in Canada.

Not me. I included other useless stuff too.

Pardon me. I stand corrected.

Okay... just.... gross.

I can't take those two anywhere.

Everyone needs a hobby. Mine is cheap. Those things usually only cost about a buck.

Hope our messing around didn't offend you. Your hobby is much cheaper than mine, so that makes you smarter than me!

Mostly were jealous that you were in Disneyland and we weren't.

I'm thinking of retracting everything I ever wrote here.

Then I thought "Why reward him?"

But...but...I've been good! Honest! Haven't I?

Don't answer that.

Hi! Ok I haven't been here in awhile but I am all caught up now! I loved hearing about your stay at Disney's HHR, it looks like a really fun place. The Grand Villa also looked incredible!

Glad you enjoyed it! We'd go back in a heartbeat.

The place with the train-delivering food service looks so cool!
Looking forward to the rest of the TR!

So much fun! I know my kids would love a return trip there.

The train restaurant looks awesome! Looks like the kids got a big kick out of that place!

Yes, big kids too!:rolleyes1

Drew with that bag of money ... so cute!

Until he decided to open it at home and dump out the contents.:headache:

And your Dismeet with a ton of BBQ looks pretty awesome!

Anything with a ton of BBQ is awesome. It's true. Look it up.

I wish I could say that...have had to make a couple of business trips to DesMoines lately.

Funny, I might have to go there for a conference this summer. Sounds like I should really be looking forward to it!

Have you been to Jimmy John's on Route 202, just north of Rt 1, near Chadds Ford / Glen Mills PA? They don't deliver with trains but they have quite a few to watch. And the hot dogs are pretty good.

I have not been there, but thanks for the tip! Sounds like my boys would love it.

And throw in the fact that all of the aristocratic muckity-mucks were first cousins (England, Germany, Russia), it was basically just a family reunion brawl.

That too. Class issues, family drama, shady alliances, the archduke's assassination--it was messy.

That's a great idea! I have mine under the bed and now I keep hitting my head on the ceiling when I sit up.

Sooner or later they're going to wonder about that meth lab in the back yard. You can only call it "working from home" for so long.

What? Only 4 places?! Come on!

(Seriously though, that looks awesome.)

So. Much. BBQ. The ribs looked like dinosaur bones.

I heard that somewhere.

Probably an important lesson from school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter