A Grand Tour of The Entire Midwest, But Mostly Wisconsin (UPDATE 11/12--BONUS Texas TR NOW COMPLETE)

Does Julie have any packing tips? We are going on a 12 day road trip (Utah and Wyoming) and I have no idea how to pack. We will be staying at 8 different places, I have no idea how to pack for a road trip.

We have a pretty good system, but it involves some planning (read: being anal). We actually pick out our clothes for each day ahead of time. Then she rolls them up rather than folding them to save space and puts each day's outfits into designated bags. So, bag 1 might have our clothes for the first four days, and bag 2 would have the next four, etc. That way we only have to bring one bag of clothes into the hotel each night.

We have a pretty good system, but it involves some planning (read: being anal). We actually pick out our clothes for each day ahead of time. Then she rolls them up rather than folding them to save space and puts each day's outfits into designated bags. So, bag 1 might have our clothes for the first four days, and bag 2 would have the next four, etc. That way we only have to bring one bag of clothes into the hotel each night.
Cool, I like that system. I might have to suggest that to DW for our next trip, because she always gets stressed out with packing and planning outfits for each day for her and DD. (Of course I don't really have the same problem. Dark shorts, light shorts, t-shirts to match anything. Yeah, I'm good.)

When we went on our SW Road trip we did the same thing except we had a second bag that went in every night that had toiletries, my hair and jewelry accessories, and meds.

We really did a whole lot of nothing on our last full day

Now that's something you don't hear often on an Oblivious family trip!

our friends spoiled us rotten with yet another Giant Bag O’ Bacon.

Define giant please.

Drew can’t be bothered to waste time playing golf as it’s meant to be played. He has no interest in tee shots, approach shots, or strategy. Drew likes to pick up the ball, walk to the hold, place the ball next to the hole, and then knock it in. He shot a course record 18 for the day.

I like his style!

So, if you’re keeping track, we refuse to give our kids free s’mores at the campfire but do pay extra for tye-dye shirts. It’s this kind of crackerjack decision-making that has led us to be the envy of parents worldwide.

You guys rock!

I took a nap, myself. It was nice.

:eek: Who are you and what have you done with Mark?

I did not go in. I remembered that the air was not, in fact, heated, and wasn’t ready to test the limits of my endurance.

Was there a hot tub? Those are much more friendly when the air is not heated.

It was our friends’ anniversary, so we offered to take their kids for the night while they went out for dinner. We just ordered pizza to the room so we wouldn’t have to attempt to go anywhere with six kids.

Nice of you to do that for them. And nice of you to the other thing for the restaurant patrons! :lmao:

This was Drew’s first meet-up with a Disney character. Thankfully, he wasn’t freaked out and did really well.

That's good! I've seen some pretty adverse reactions from kids that age.

Drew had suckered convinced his parents to buy a stuffed Pluto in the gift shop after meeting him the night before, so he made sure his Pluto was well-fed.

Maybe he has a future as a CM at the AK?

Don’t believe me about our view: Here is the sunrise the next morning:

Nice!

Good news! We’ve finished the drive across Nebraska!

Finally! Are we there yet?

Cool, I like that system. I might have to suggest that to DW for our next trip, because she always gets stressed out with packing and planning outfits for each day for her and DD. (Of course I don't really have the same problem. Dark shorts, light shorts, t-shirts to match anything. Yeah, I'm good.)

Yeah, that's pretty much how I roll too. Khaki and navy shorts go with just about anything.

When we went on our SW Road trip we did the same thing except we had a second bag that went in every night that had toiletries, my hair and jewelry accessories, and meds.

Yeah, we have the toiletries bag as well. So that will come in along with the one suitcase and any valuables from the car.

Now that's something you don't hear often on an Oblivious family trip!

I can hear all of you guys snoring already!

Define giant please.

Enough to feed 10 people and still have some left over.

I like his style!

He takes the direct approach to solving a problem.

You guys rock!

:sad2:

:eek: Who are you and what have you done with Mark?

I'm getting old. It kinda stinks.

Was there a hot tub? Those are much more friendly when the air is not heated.

There is, but it was small and way over in the corner, and we wouldn't have been able to keep an eye on Drew in the pool.

Nice of you to do that for them. And nice of you to the other thing for the restaurant patrons! :lmao:

Hey, our laziness is getting us compliments! :woohoo:

That's good! I've seen some pretty adverse reactions from kids that age.

I was pleasantly surprised! Thought he would at least suddenly get shy. Maybe watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse helped.

Maybe he has a future as a CM at the AK?

Those blue eyes could sell anything!

Finally! Are we there yet?

Five more minutes.

Don't ask me how I know.

Does this involve a story of you sitting over there << and her sitting over there >> and you being to chicken to introduce yourself, but by some miracle it all worked out anyway???

Yeah, I thought so.

I KNEW she and I would get along! She's my soul sister!

Thanks for the tip... I've have to give it a try.

I read your first post, and I don't fall under any of those categories. I just found this because I live in the Midwest, specifically St. Louis. Looks like you haven't hit St. Louis yet. Want some suggestions that I'd consider to be "hidden gems" in St. Louis that's not "The Arch" or "The Cardinals?" I mean, I see your Phillies fans, so I'll spare you the suggestion of catching a Cardinals game. Well, I mean, I guess I kind of am suggesting it in that Well, I won't but... way. Ha! (Seriously though, if you don't already know, especially with the departure of the Rams, St. Louis is most definitely a baseball town, and I think we kind of freak people out about that sometimes. Ha! You might catch some gentle ribbing if you wear Phillies paraphernalia, but we're generally a nice bunch, if you can get past the Cardinals bit. :) )

Does this involve a story of you sitting over there << and her sitting over there >> and you being to chicken to introduce yourself, but by some miracle it all worked out anyway???

Yeah, I thought so.

Almost. Most of my life, I was completely invisible to women. I dated one girl in high school, and it didn't last long. Saw her again in college where she informed me she had recently come out of the closet. That did wonders for my self-esteem! :rotfl2:

Got shot down a few more times. I was always the "nice guy" who was a "good friend". Still, I kept shooting for the moon and worked up the courage to ask Julie out, even knowing she was out of my league. Fortunately, she had broken up with a guy who treated her horribly so I must have looked like Prince Charming in comparison, and she said yes (despite my physical appearance being closer to Quasimodo). I figured she was probably the only woman insane enough to ever say yes to me, so I've worked hard ever since not to lose her!

I KNEW she and I would get along! She's my soul sister!

Like I said: way, way above my pay grade. Don't know what I'd do without her.

Thanks for the tip... I've have to give it a try.

I hope it works out for you! Utah and Wyoming are amazing!

I read your first post, and I don't fall under any of those categories. I just found this because I live in the Midwest, specifically St. Louis. Looks like you haven't hit St. Louis yet. Want some suggestions that I'd consider to be "hidden gems" in St. Louis that's not "The Arch" or "The Cardinals?" I mean, I see your Phillies fans, so I'll spare you the suggestion of catching a Cardinals game. Well, I mean, I guess I kind of am suggesting it in that Well, I won't but... way. Ha! (Seriously though, if you don't already know, especially with the departure of the Rams, St. Louis is most definitely a baseball town, and I think we kind of freak people out about that sometimes. Ha! You might catch some gentle ribbing if you wear Phillies paraphernalia, but we're generally a nice bunch, if you can get past the Cardinals bit. :) )

:welcome: aboard!

St. Louis was part of the agenda on this trip--just haven't gotten there in the report yet. I only had a half a day to spend there, so we concentrated on the Arch...and I looked into a Cardinals game, but tickets would have cost me a second mortgage. So I found another way around it. We'll get there in a few chapters.

I've heard that St. Louis fans are generally the nicest fans around! For some reason, Philly fans don't enjoy that same reputation. Not sure why...:confused3

Chapter 16: Is This Heaven? No, It’s Iowa.

Well, look at that. I distracted you long enough with that Hilton Head side-story to get through the mind-numbing drive that is I-80 in Nebraska. You’re welcome.

We arrived in Omaha, Nebraska right around 5:00 p.m. Our van seemed to almost guide itself to the Old Market area downtown, following the siren call of Italian food. Almost as if it knew that this was the best way to cure the cramps of 9 hours in a minivan. We found ourselves parked next to The Old Spaghetti Works.

The Old Market is the historic district of the city, and maintains its character with cobblestone streets, preserved historic buildings and even some covered sidewalks. The neighborhood has a lot of character, making it a nice stop for weary travelers.

54VkpBpFMzGWmBTFu4MUWaKcbpnhO7ZTwQZXJ1ckzMMTTNRUgaeot_X0W1Bfl9UIpkDNVCfgXL6j5g4IRNliSb3tLrGPouPkvM-iEC9-8GKhlmgCQig8tr6lI10dFuizQM3Pm8g3S7kitV5800B2YsTbKqIbGIDNCKJn4mkpzY7ID4lWzR6lR-nJYMkGnIQM8BjALIINb4zZp630-VF4Te9SP73pdteh-x8A5il13uqtPcrj_8KUMqMJh1ZmfoPkkJzRhaVHwnHKJi1OYiGZZMFktXSqFLxXE6UyiuBo-haphdmMtJMwpbfKaMtb8_GeFv4zjP7lHer4SbPafbbT5b8zg15Fbl9yrRrWyZ-aI-6ZJpiK_VfDtEpnumj813zcrmbq033HKkadN1s0cZrGNQh4kWDUWfdW7_LVm1JCGr9-UiCeZcgkxIkvfBlpNPayAkzrsx4h28Rn6MR-rI19EqBqomkbvwauQqjiB7T4Z2gHzyN0TvW__REJY71yFO4ihBSTiVf0Lge4PHViVDvYNNJKUbwhm1iGHtNTrNxYvjV9juwjDPbsPVFeQIdgmN0vqjBdoq9fpqoGrG9oPvBhoJvjNYlOzVw1dct9-jFuL0G2yzqOazx3=w1216-h811-no

9bmNTUYwZ6NnL1jgEsOhmF21xg2IXtkjmQAz7csrqBXyHhpSF2WeFQI-bfRrNywfQpkhb2TWG79emcgBs7MRotrFVjFCggrBw-C_h7s_wwJq5ophjwtBf8_ZFxBjXRyIKiAEz0lCZ4946LgyOfS5g1jFckKkoIgT-HMgVKyiYe1UbgjqOLLH39fBUTfCZFlfNOpZOVZPg2bQqdjxDm2BhT3aadOABuN3a-AnC2AyuKAe2e7hoEWiziutGl9Wym-_laBvioB3ZMWLfpQAfWf3ynKy8pp-dcjwkxDYJToYYlL4tXxc2utcS1y7PUyXHyW00-Nho9cGQLfGjENGAevSokLzQyn37MadTPkx36LlN02A4JVG1j7o2Rizlnglv03QJnPY_BwhMtz8h0po2zpkuNc1eW48Fb0cWZEhhw14m5IyJPFQ7txfBMq5ywcAwzB73YUcJXmcCnomHCrWZBHZ-G98Q_Av6SG1LSgERcTcKaEoaq-RlSRH_m48rVFK8YJCy29LZlL_ZfKH-TtppiYo3haJ4rYdoFa3VyQFxEhCmv0yUIhDVD-d6QkGGSiJWTEfZCqdy-AzqmJ2Kw0sJbiKoTzoDCbVTjgqHOXhhDMZNiTLzfvFvs9F=w1216-h811-no

The Spaghetti Works fits right into the theme, presenting itself as an old-school mom-and-pop Italian restaurant (albeit a very large one) with plenty of kitschy vintage décor.

mCy_nxzvyzV6-Rdv5TcUBXrorpLn3GIzJKVuDNrY-Xgt624o_i1ff0Wd8ohDLiCDlow6VqNwNJTcuu11A0dNCdvD_PZWOfxSEc6J9CWiid6ukDzADFfNQUnj6mQwcA4ZL4ueISdowbHmYEZMQri4yHynDK4BcugiGiPXfXmliTcFvA8Ljzc-5apNtuJauTegjDCIusGZwhTp72yAvwzWG6dqTe4Xm1JpvQmAlBVgFc5NtUzYsP5AzU7G-TqG5IlWvQfpCYysBk3-NT_aLqIYOCpHRA9DVlQXjFLMKLfoO-SikO9kbEcw_YgethdUeCgHf-EEu2iaMV83kLCl47JMZn8nyC1c5_7VjUvHTVbziPX_VwYT28ndeGGPMjZYMud1jAJ-yYAYvKdOf8liSQZMa5AvDSwAvrQKZa2zDBsNpFxGIaicmQIAYbvwssE9J1r8alDHHLM_kw0HglUPcMX2juFiStsiy3XUoSWWeVmSVF0JhjE5NTQTHrWoBUnn8DujF6vm0krOY_PDbabz51FJjOqQmeCoSAxNJIHxX8T0FEtShn3wwuH9QYxSFpPnOPZCZSAGbWAZ6XW89-qdcQXoo5suRDncealYBpZvcLTvU70lnzVsH8_v=w1216-h811-no

uDNxO9i4bygydfTbVI4KRXZDmkZIv_hTynjJuukoR-0n_86JuumCWYcIPMWaF6IdvyOBp5WpodP4oq-d3_uBCFiwsBZ8inErRxjeTvbad-jqtDNTsml_5LXjEu9Uq06eh4tS1-CxYUdDxDCzy6pfgjgWEpL_PHgjeWaRkIIwp_wzUe6SHcOF4DSJ3dc0asDwne_mOB1ivLMVxtQ8_zoq-ZxEX5LHzUAEnECchbfjSori4jcNOEIuWVRwYxTbet5ksfYuY1Qa6T_iJZB7KDQnBG1uamwXl-_BgUIOxzhCmfYTscGkqPH6qLC4T6CP_eI1wnw1QDF08i4Qj7nv33tiPptXNeXCSaSOxNAi-wCb8tOIcRx5XsRmywcQwssVIf-mkLb5fAz7SNKWYJqGTz0Vn6vJzLjFIJ9yiw7bIOOCm1CJBhtdo7uzFcjYOc4LzpVro8hkGir4BT1xhkFaz4Io4Hg6CZfondU13NVOlD7G_IMs4Gn-ZKXdcPRQG24uohLep4fRKEbKudGHAUHAvyeIM9W1WfDRDtv_hNEopoiEu-1Q63DoXTr8ZFL1FnMSuGqZ6rxApd8jdEaV-uz1Hiz8AfLhs7gfMFojyoIzYbPtI1s_L7QaTPj6=w564-h845-no

This is a little hard to see, but they made this shell of an old truck into their salad bar.

sINqrrKOAsOGPPv0bSV4irfhEQV9l0ykkVQlBAft9Iq4HhJMMcMpnojoJVlSS4jD4ahIgCPIqukQZL2iVqBnex9O-92vWcG7sRvSeTi28Od1hyBLSse0eIdp0Tmit1mAXP6JGOn46eb84sQSUXQHCqsYT_gwXLk9llm2QZXTWJJjG6aufzSxkWF1dJWMIOkBiKX27PuXdW5KXOA1VN2VcNcqgXPXjCPXQ7wpgR0THAVoRO5mpx7QqY5N4KtWGtLN5Y3rBvlZkMdgbaSIH4iPiSVOlyd6JySPP3FoBuWHGWWb8mzTqJZL4rWtpJQyKRkpRLokO0-f9dlvHUYCFJgPiCEMSxaHIwlusp6SPWfCA56q8suhX61ztQ5cQpi1Ot044-4mAgCBxic0GswdzPr-pZqPaPIJdPR0WqBuoZKADBhCqti6JnVCVc6C6e3xPRzmd-jmA6s5ztmmk2bMwUo3K7LYKc8rF8CvqSm0Ce1ev74sK2ZXHx2rpGKn0hv_v9mK8l-pLMbbM52TSsp_ocQezbuy2ALD3uu1JTGrideD8qfkHgLqslLQRHgPv4boxaggu6VX64QOGL8JHGF9oYQ66E7RREjvvAk8mkvHifrNcwx2urGATuL5=w1216-h811-no

Dinner hit the spot very nicely. Sometimes you just get in the mood for an old-school Italian meal, where one dish could feed three people. I had my go-to dish, chicken parmesan. Very tasty.

xVD8jdgIEe2lrzi53_vdiAz6qVJ2KGwv29kUSAOUKdFi3qjQqicYnqWI03MPuqq1sPwOflP3-uKhXCDTbc08ZstWGZBAZcCOU0hPoGLue2mkZ7D91aijWvbkVla3azHoj2GOJE7XasehX9U4g8ZnT5ekkcRhrpGTkmnA2GOnwwKVRBA12tcTSxxpUDoo7PHws9EA8PMpx0t4h_NniT-mb-PU8jPq2tgJRdFy5JTeYl4k1szEPuQZBQiz09YJSkjUCtx4iq80zdP7Bqk4JoqzlWMobnSAqhsfXXusbNBDs8OhFJxkIUbIJQL_xS-_0mmxpNhlq9Nr_LQu08PZvEHadd2JjNq_lkdSaqriK2KUa4bQfFJRo6B2DLFUZNG5hwDjmuFrASAbPQ2W8qAVCTIFM5IOUmkzOi4xHiXHjV0r8uA_llF6cV2S2r0FwHPIO3KwARkqWecpRM2EAUE041PlHP5PcohKOIrRPFyeGlJ4GhdkG5lo8jP-Ki6HfL-HsRUEkYBfvq_W68o6kmukrHjh7gM2gmR8r3i2hKTKiOiBoduKhIzwSQqNwxn1KQSaKMt_vZCOtW-b2-G42TuB1R03my1C1S1YbljTvDGkvxNfgFSj9UE3vp7I=w564-h845-no

xfmAwHCCKagYbsaBYEJ3N2Clr04U8rdCjzGvJtrmmobcHmts13Z5OE4E0Awfk7eie3aru_u8GAT9bM-loAeABtl7QZgLU6zRmY5_q7zc8DVzsfEpZpE9-Zdj2EMB8ZXH8oUOH6SAnImXGn17xbQFpLFDkRbMw1mY2E5_VksggMI9ionrsrhB9I2-EaFSXaeYStZOhbBPo8vp7bjLwrsvdnlk6MDk9mLibX5EhtiiQrQfK-Z_yWnRABNm7FzPOeo1gAZvAaKSmJ0ACCGnL2nmtaJZAZxEbSmvfxfH3KD2VY_kWo_HO4L_4xK3XHYOkJGf6gBJjjxjV9_ay9kQdcjd7WvXa_mfJborVtOREsjpf8bzfUaYsA8BpQjLEDg6Og4mB8m1U6meIiDIp3SDJS4ehJHci2cEfwRjUG0k8jE2JUBz3S3HLu1ZWlTq87zCpCCk-zPCzRygIw8mQo0T9H3EueQDEyfnb-_S2Wg_C79TRcUiWF6iDL8XYmPi59VYtB-NmJJKssyjlxzxZ1axdwXI7Fqo6WZy_m3Jd6T1CP3Jtm7NCSeaFz4jU0_4sDXF0_r1haghoV9AkNgdOgKFj2kAvu3rLwJiVRTiQrMJ64XMqZFcSkDtu0ng=w1216-h811-no

Julie went with gnocchi and seemed happy with her choice as well. The kids were less creative and shared some pizza, but that’s ok because it’s a little lighter on the wallet. The family Budget Committee approved.

While we were dining, a woman came around making balloon animals for kids at various tables. Now I ask you parents out there, if someone comes to your table and offers your kids balloon animals, is there any way you can possibly say no?

Well, sure there is. You just say, “No.” It’s not quantum physics. Stand your ground and say, “No.” If you want to be polite, you can say, “No, thank you.” What, do you need a flowchart or something?

But anyway, we didn’t say no. Because we are weak. And this lady was pretty good. I liked Dave’s fish on a pole the best.

AzRtEl47jP-xcQ-SyNhQctQbovwvLzmAbeoeeO8T4YeJEikTlPKDRMNoLofgS1pRdNEMUX1-RQIf40GvMpshFQwdHa73I4Ejrdiy_dPvmoAqvlPYEq2XotRmuGdA1Fc7CQPi00CVvdwllkt5qxPeutRRpHxLHUP38idcoKtA0pXIXtho83ps2UUoDPBSfJCGUr6dp6njhUm-Jj6505tPhdaNcFTFmMW8WzTUNgksARIqfBVSpgHlvJ38E5bx_DwLmIqK16MtMz8oUt8dRjZRuEERWm-qtUDFR8P2vsmE3p1RdYCdIkbfKBb8OcTHT8y9EaQMujiJUvzE9c2DZdep7xe4f4URnHug-O-mtLJwRPPv57UWVDuQhJ9cIWh47IWH3ejNxW1vvbK7ibMGRfvU-ecAAK68H_G-VaCqGZSMQi3oFaDLT4aGs99lU_lmLiSOl7K7VxFjXWEpvwB8GZQxskJp8l73AUTZEmeEWsfTfMZkfCjKf_EJhGtPp6YeZfw7bjniR5MEVW9Go4wyHxNkd3h9Hiitjc1ZDCscSAA6gL2xwoINyTLcc6o8N6606Yl2bAPE0YwRlVdzUvcocVFqLOuz_9TCYQZgTR4H9IwbGiQN71Nz0ylY=w1216-h811-no

Drew seemed especially proud of his Spider-man. Alas, poor Spidey was decapitated in the van shortly after this photo was taken.

w8TFUcGOiolWQTIUntLvcvaQSCcnFUinOQgoZgjwXrK4gc6ycbz08Da3Jqp9JmCGQmLnd_rR-iYoDttQ_yt4UKLVa3dYc-_fBGRtSz8Otz2283qKcttGbvGO0P-YNgkiXhA96S97j8Cj3a-kLX5cH2Wl1Kde0Z1KZ1rWDkj08A1s1n4p0n2dyT5IbHe7-eEehc4XjZDr4tJBLhH_rCRBLydstoHpHYUEFRx4IgK9GUkzCoquuKa5we3zy25Pir2K9jnyAMLikIcaAPnhMidNpQsjKKm7-xsSRegIloidRu-ukP1GVWSdn3nFKcSRX1zoJV7iK0VL19aTaYV2l4TQMuaWpokpyXOENhxczX-uttNeWlOczExQ2tITHkRI44QxXNWiavgAg9QG66GlIlajbgoIV9VWSTzKM_OMFZWYUB0_XlU7PkrAtppMMGjfjKPA5z8dYmaPolnZOcyeY4UnnhTgbNetGkwsGQMrqS4YVY2zBxmLJWSEQzZHKigsCM7EJ8URDV9l1ixDdcJ25gMKEvBZsd2qvu-RnhlNcm4bNbq1ITQ54yKLgs7KNCUCP04VhEyOk3_C8goIKvWmk6EiylKFZrvXcGc_eQ5AJjDswHMDtW1Tjo4x=w564-h845-no

Anyway, we left the Old Market and drove a short distance over to Lewis & Clark Landing, a park on the banks of the Missouri River. We had a hard time finding a parking space, due to the fact that both the College World Series and the U.S. Olympic Trials were being held in Omaha that week. But we never admit defeat in this family—we give lame excuses instead. In this case, however, persistence paid off, and we found a parking space next to a National Park HQ building that was definitely signed EMPLOYEES ONLY. VIOLATORS WILL BE TOWED.

We saw that the building was closed for the day, so we took a chance that they wouldn’t be enforcing the parking rules after hours. Again, we are trained professionals. Do not try this at home.

We had a specific goal here, and I have to give fellow DIS Dad @FreezinRafiki credit here. They had gone on a similar road trip out this way several months earlier, and this was one of the stops they made. It looked like it would provide two crucial benefits to us: 1) it looked like a nice place to hang out and let the kids run around for a bit, and 2) it gave us a cheap way to set foot in Iowa.

In our quest to get to all 50 states, this was our best chance to cross Iowa off the list. Just as a refresher, our rule in order to take credit for visiting a state is that our feet must touch the soil in the state. This rule is in place basically to keep us from taking credit for airport layovers in which we never leave the terminal building. Now, this still means some states (like Iowa) can get short shrift, but at least it requires us to physically cross the border and get out of a car.

You might think this is too big of a loophole, and that we can’t really say we’ve “visited” the state. And in the sense of truly getting a taste of Iowa, I can’t argue with you. All I can say is, cut us some slack. This is a huge country, and we’re based on the East Coast with a limited budget. It’s hard to pull this off. And you can’t say we weren’t physically in the state.

At Lewis & Clark Landing, the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge spans the Missouri River from Omaha, NE to Council Bluffs, Iowa.

1gLr-tdEMtdGuf7cB56I-I8FkT13tr7c6QFEO38HOiais4xU_tpx0gjk0InLNi4awsoDM75xToB3W6Y1KpmZ0i2OdzmFe9gS2v9dTB8bdjHmv6a-pFqM87l6jM8B7357G7z8e3kfNHSsC1TzNJYfojaG7RAbvoqjB5k8wotHXVcKXs1TZFI2vKlLSHuR50fVAJmNg_F6W_38XDaoFoVFZ1Lo8vTOcRzIA9co3mKs4czSXDvq2w1rzxT87oSmdQopPG3b5Pu-5VdFXmtZNeK6dVXJjqmCWw1wMCXEtY9NW3D0S7kk3tdmfO-pyrkdwy9mCvA4LEqrQ0rUUxFFO3vPrjEtX8mjOezJ3xLxvAMOT9f7r1OVKA9PB1IpvlP3NOoGn8W_CHs0voeE9YIj2Iri-bS-vm7seNAsS0jcGvW6diUppSCzIqBRnKOIAcE-n_VP3qMXaqX2tGX8a1B-Z3FOljxIuZJY5riOW-QnzRt2dI7DQtW3Z5HtCecY__AOGguw0PAwR9bgZ8Ms_Xcp4eKIJtEgHjYitMdbtW3wqmB-7_EjWBxXuQfc7w8m1RgY0kVfWhzvxrYeWzCclUmI7c1wJC4HLZpG31W1TRynOgnm_f4v6vTLnwhM=w1216-h811-no

9Nx_ZShNV2EVEJpr7IMt_MO1WvgsiTgSp5SFtG8l2mzPnCSzv3788AzKkPzUjh1kU8zyFhqfjtNPlvHJgEWqYR8CDgAQyr3e8g28klEM-KGn616eKWjR1Oqn0XNMwhgajYNgN-DWk5cTCXBuEQ1TNDUVZgZc_JZLQd8h8prvIHIDsOYR78h8IuGEaI2VxKHEq5G6i_G604TXRy6sTYsFt08XyT5WXw2t3u2jke23QAxBI_Og2rH7zmUQHBJJZdXhnGbGFrsCNLoqSZhGMKzTpG3rzPGGNPCsfMWdyF9O2Onh_fgHBqV8QJtABgsWgViMqH-vHgR58PMcNlNB76FXezarXNG4pFPVmOmSElgwRYjne87XJAH09jo7Z51xLVcEquPq2Ozh1-S0NQSN8iFQcMkjhtrGbjIkjVyHxKMO-O6C-WtL_4g6MrMpEcU-FELbxuc3znu1JZEYLxEjrfmk7Xc7G6W9-O185KSlypzOeNRUCBgjJ7kUy1eujWzB_gNW5HD3Er3c6DkfFb4c5xoOUjlkj0AdVcHlkiORsAeez6l9Xfmg4K4GTVJ3dMI-2XeLqPP2dQpspkXGxLvR23I1FK-MwtFhpwHGPzjhZd4f39FMRbQc9fyb=w564-h845-no

As we climbed the bridge, we noticed ominous skies approaching. We needed to walk faster. In a particularly genius moment, we’d decided that Drew needed to stretch his legs and had left his stroller in the van.

-K-m_RUx2exO3YFDzdfx_FWcXC9AyGguP4_7F8yU87YEXHf72lP1sqPkMrljM6XUJnebYJAY7QUcRkHoaEJlgr5CkogFimxvB1t2KzLUfQNK0i0GBW6400w6AUhDnbdFT-VhR0g7N1x7_yWL5wgotqXN-5sK7lERKj9wf2NFCEwgKYeW47psrsOPlHYLin3BeGNq-gHJn4h-a6JBxrMZpqgGzKM8UcRXTt33TJNawh51jzm8y8Lf0-B_2xlCu2AaxSxRA-x8H0kczqSYdAyj6s8fjhOtjX6YHp4C0nBR1pqg5oe52TuqtMOyKo2PwDC9bWg-u0koK0LTnc9XZ3bLKXCmvFS82l7y2Enl5jRpmcaDb5SLsL03nCBJX0XbvmWJzEL7103yKCNcS0bP7kslhE4C5GsOOWVKvLS3N4NSyFLWhFeAp9G4qYENtjqm3EOyqgKVFND39lzbm8oqE2xNbFbbWUwHLNx3dDK7Z7Nng4SSnmd-ZB0Z8vVECe8Iz3FMPNOGDq0_o02QsZY500Xr5OSrRorNNFGDdG1lIEajGBApm3TD9AXGC6-DO2oHtbU2xtjWfGtHEUA5sPPvg8HOkcnmJ2W8Dg7qbyDYo9EeOCiv3PMneqcR=w1216-h811-no

There’s a helpful line drawn at the center of the span to show where you cross the border into Iowa.

40b5AqE78EJgNFuJsi9h0-mrN8LNwFPjcP4ATg1pL3hER5381w_qsPtuIEoaiHR5fduH3U95ML8cfMe4yqwNG3LKgmOwVfYML9vRWHPGVZq8YgCg1LoDykPkGGeojUrmNlkDV75k_B3J838DCMOB4GaMFBWWiu6rwogdwigtAlHDDFYFhalmIdXfd1u_4FrzVKn-vMFUQ8Tn_xNaKy2JqkIMEQzcZSrqXQZVPwcdvDb5QbZnmpQr4GC7WsFD5hvQqpaOrt-1yRXiQUHTkuPrd93TU_pzgiVd3Dwk6X2ROIYuRk81F1Ks0wZKHxczdXDU_u9VJvv_8WyRG4VR1ObC5jTuDKeGFWZBoGKXoDVV7VxY0ddhrhkmo-bx1U9YYky3Dyf1gFuEn8MLXc7F_CagB3_-i9N1w1v6Is-3sMvsJRzUgyvLhdMPZjTjcY3qJ9bhnhnokgROeLdjipc7b0YFA77o5_l1HYtnKbTJipEcbi8uNI6iLDlPC3EcZIcQ1EhkrKd-deCNRUz2l2RgFXSse9IrGfWDhm8vRbEH6PZt4ljWCtQUtn_bCegcsM0s8DVCDX4qdZjN5sYEtFOTmP85a38RgxO8tP2Moeh6rQ6FFoIsD-PS4-4B=w1216-h811-no

Looking at that photo, you might be curious to know what it feels like to stand in two states at the same moment in time. I’d say it mostly feels like you’re being crowded by other people trying to take the same dumb touristy photo as you.

Yes, Drew is carrying a takeout box with his leftover pizza slice in it. He was attached to it for some reason, and because Julie and I are getting old and exhausted and he’s the 4th kid, we didn’t fight him over it.

Here’s the view from the other side, offered as proof that yes, we actually were in Iowa. Cross another state off the list!

JKYWyT8_74ZJf-4kIX-5MoL7ze1uVNj3slQ8na1ET-uIhaASnSlXmo3QQTKlHGktp9eFkCUMA06ENqlUtM3z3n20TMPAQCQM8MvN-EtMuG2qetLZS2a4FFp0ZTntEz2Dig2tw04rg14sp9bNSMCf8GtF68-UUKt33Zz44gwwUAuALuTx5fFB24EiH5miqhUoEeTBnq0is9yLlNqh4gRaxNkv_QI8aBfs7lMu1m7CKYyU91Ur70lCJSWWe9Zb3XZy6yI_ia-P_QDZMMhsezctfFgwD56Mdcpk9_cFzvTxSYmnA9DsAjh_g_bIC6BCYzxUCERtA2l_5IUSJd6E9ogFaiNDKJU0HWKh4lqasgoxMmaHKq_pz4LhZbXXxUJFSpi_Qz3ejj0dqFCudWUWWFQpVS1PvEfw6wW3VqYnR6NjRZiSmRIeVSqRDFlG7urU2KvrKpwMa322fhSAFiPs3qXxnGcBCGySDSuhufIOPAK2A7bokMVXVIJM3BrKbNb_KhC-zRov07xoczJyPCeVTQe3ohW1uLU4BBlu6SCcBHArtdpndl1WRpDZJeIU04qECIsqNv9pvyPOMmPsE0WEY8MA76-LDiIujaBkGmnbjX7V0OdzfZsc2fX3=w1216-h811-no

(And stop with that “cheater” talk.)

We started the long walk back—the path took a few turns and made the bridge seem a lot longer than it looked from the other side. It started to drizzle, so we tried to pick up the pace. Of course that meant Dad (i.e., Low Man On The Totem Pole) was volunteered to carry Drew. Let’s see how Drew feels about it.

J124cQYQ5HbqJpaF_X9HVh47t3oi0ftEU4_qBYqbck3kgj1xWy8CoiFCoJDCiuQ3fqYMzCixa_HWlr0jDtZ0Jk5dS7ekREJHOqMHBEnqXLK_p9tALGZSq_5Ibo50hUaNllYza3vM9dJmzfJImFknQlTnJHur70cPTZA6jaVaB7dr2Kpki2bd85yM7mI8SksC2pExyuRyTE68CjTbgmtKv_e3VBMMgXN8THFFzBuofV4NaQHgZRd055O5vPQx3Etbx8TicSIG4ckS8nUFMS4_ts9quSecD9NhkJBSB91ewX72yPVKPrXuIBj1W-kMuoyyey1v_BCsZeMbz1jCH_24nfqwsZASAqT_ZSaMsBMXNgimq-LzV26j9GfQ_jDQV0kW1STEzDs5nwwfD0AdKLdfqoLRFV6dgsBnF-AOsFjFhbHDIeXerEAGpKrp4CStnk4f5uBeWX8LjNIsvndw2JDzdZEVRxfVuCRBNNdGa8P6lWK1yj-nei2YUZQNLhUcwFg-BCZQd4S6pEqnotJTHGDWoQHzEqR2dUZKq8yl3RCaRENFN2As8gFwbQn_tJm_UHDzp4nRQmeaqQioEkCZrjRPxXsHZGLLUPq8PAYeUfRlU-hHmtJvFxtw=w564-h845-no

“Sucker!”

33tUXE4Z170Y4hGEihSo6rw8eWzU9PN3OoUQdo4gfIiKqZZHdF7gM_iZ4Y3RhSkIAzDT1FaEv4oPcx8CyAH5beogx5y6rGTsrjxTpFngwXQVYF8AerilAGrTyhtQJUeKi6fLZFi32-VIJI6c0ywOjbMACK7d1EcdxDz6TFfZGW8GZfwcrujPG4YeTcJlDvf8j7cVqMO9U1v0esi4LPtwJn7c48iRq_9FIAKvWe8_3KzKB2BmC3EWi5gUjdBLGXgP5aOVYRN4GqS-vDbdtUAH9RpI6IR-P7CgVPBzYcAPkRFJ20TAJi7GXCfMGTmiWEsQ3903tQGv5AX7xDsoTG_iwEJMKDwjoxdj9iBzCXxSjr6u2It9aju7sZ2roTNBNOaCLtPU4qr6oEQyFOiMfVekXqn2EudGU4YLDqoliGX4SCocdJPetamaua3_xlr4HHrQKnh9mPqSEcVpOCTni5R5few44m2xGwJbEl7ZkHmLoawMbFvOZ-yYaEJdgQutWaX8_CByXV9SXCPxBaaAHUtIhshIAaD7IUqMQs5KcnnvPRSn62l6hd3OxKSyfFF3gYGoh_RY-Rqs-vHe2PmfbogBlq4qiBkTp1Psms2wFDHGLl5nQ_tPtVRD=w564-h845-no

The rain started coming down a little harder, so we were moving at a fast-walk almost-running pace now. I was really wishing we hadn’t left the stroller in the van.

This is the regional National Park headquarters building. Alas, we couldn’t get inside and get a cheap National Park passport stamp for the Lewis & Clark National Trail since the building was closed. Still, cool building.

6RAbYTSMymkoSGYTHrEwzudNdLvLSzK4oHM1txTlYGopH35HiAWP-m1Um0d24pL1bDohZrkcrLVv7znYuEBu0Dsm5cWEqpJg9gCMBKsa3yCQ5A6cuPdxITwsGOIsYamKr4UD0N4s4JEj53pQdHD7JAlEB9wJvz5mSQoCPB6jSw040E_KSERdWc_0AUAA8HvKiY1KNPa4OZ4rZd_uT_yDqAAyaMwJn6wxV4FujsqR7yJazGbB79MWMHX7CIEwDhqdMiy7iTVp3HEFRzfU59TN-KGlQnzO61adTOqNpmY-uqQowNV2jOeWLb8Tnm_1UsnhNkpPh4FTvw54Os6aVBXEy5-3_b9o3KTkGvilm5jnHMRDs-7QycznjrOta67BHZD80QcT-j-N30jz5RxIqG7iVvBdIknll7EDeXlGJqbaf8FTgKJ_v22f63le2n7qvI6ZclICFI1GG3FsMhlfVfgSKbvIZRydG1FUDoVqwTo75UXaPNYZUdIVDMkFV7x6nprlMHMxt37ghDgba7buQ8LCNEJye25eJxb69MdzH1BTgErtr2kaWDLsTETqbYvxlyJ9wFEqD1LkVrkJ5Jm6e8kx1LsUlhu7SfYt9bDX5uvr_9T0D7FNEbYw=w1216-h811-no

By the time we reached that building, it was a full-on deluge. On the downside, we got soaked. But on the plus side, we got a bit of a rainbow.

CXgUXGiO-PuDjoQxhLFyUE-OC-w75CcPEFdzGCTpgRDbREUlv-3pfBIXSHt2E1VxoPaMAA9Nb0M5kNoW30NmxZptV7UlWz0g6TQ-woYTLoF2TZAiq0uWzlcFEUFoQ4vxUBR2CItXIAafVl8IZf0XmogafBMIbxx_yjyq2KrrvGaIWNtqFobW68sVk4u3AywSG9o23nwmX2CSWDsNnLHKj9tzK4qPI9SkRuKMceJJyJbBO8ho1zsY1wfbPck5uM4PAGbhgCb9kV0XSTVLupLGWZnZH87EsmjyKc4N38cNXlRAXEk0rOjh_pO8GAp8e9Vq8Scqcgk4EClwk4WspTRo8shxsxnE4REeu6SWhhF_8NfU7yByPdtcqjBCg6S_G00HXre4y0rxV0aIJ-xB2NCsdJgFbBdPJ5kmstf06himdnTglGEtHAY8nBSmdaGwBzsdjHKT3taRN9F_DQUxEIBP_zVYernHFQ25wp3AhYeAqzDKjKrt9NFNNWJ2f4ew3_k0mIMNSBCy17_5sMqnBd9s-FdwT5ijFIlafnyaVS5fnmLpkR9h6FseKr68eYn0pI6-PIpt7zcWMT1xxdh0eFGHP34noSm32HahcsFqPoyIUPNRHQEhuwNl=w1216-h811-no

We got in the van and tried to dry off as best we could. Thankfully, there was no parking ticket on the windshield.

We drove south of the city through the storm to our hotel. Along the way, we did the only sensible thing you can do when you’ve been driving through Nebraska all day and then got stuck in a huge rain storm.

We stopped at Culver’s for frozen custard. And all was right with the world once again.

XDijc_Vuxc7a-Q9R0gRP2prUI8536C1ElHgFe_l-jjKXkW5ZBczOe5v95X3Etv_BIx_XfSxfqmdMdZhD8V4JKQeHi-UW_BWPV3FCqphL7OjkIyxXnLlSev47w_6eiRIvhkt9HAmqppLEVq2oTWCQNvtAI0BlbbOzSInFEro0VCqFuJdTjagmaFh32wWIyxAJza2rEmwus0urgyc_7RMXB_o96lduXApdtPO3OAID8n5OXtgIp1hC4tuo21Z6VPI68AfxBT7wNWj1IqGZzPVx5qWusSA5LqBNFXrJaoleqnIeYrTLoILm19lyfvyalx2HCoirkMu6TLpWvNvMjkeXGcBFNptvqVOWZCStbEL79mrTRo9zlEO0HRa_ZED8c0J49iTuJx8t_j2z9amo8YzJ9Ogz6kncxH0iejzbiZtfyzlro-zj5LhTSRHP--FSaGDSsFMWPsqEAtJjni_2jY_RTFCxkam_k09pdwd0nA4DkTtCmNOnLHEkHLX75PQ2kGDdQUyLVXD8SSVZdV0ZuYRQiHQTBGYw2GtCn5d6qWJh1o9LZ6YJ-B4Dtc6D8Rbn0wF789YCy0w1pSRjDPK_rxFqLdO1io0d3NT4SikP45lLB3eu3u5bBT93=w1216-h811-no

Coming Up Next:
I’m serious. You haven’t lived until you’ve done this.

Well, look at that. I distracted you long enough with that Hilton Head side-story to get through the mind-numbing drive that is I-80 in Nebraska. You’re welcome.
Great, now when I'm relaxing on the beach at HHI this summer, all I'm going to be able to think about is I-80 in Nebraska.

This is a little hard to see, but they made this shell of an old truck into their salad bar.
That's awesome!

While we were dining, a woman came around making balloon animals for kids at various tables. Now I ask you parents out there, if someone comes to your table and offers your kids balloon animals, is there any way you can possibly say no?
"Hey kids - you wouldn't take balloon animals from a guy making out of his van in a dark alley, why would you take them from this lady. Don't make eye contact."

Drew seemed especially proud of his Spider-man. Alas, poor Spidey was decapitated in the van shortly after this photo was taken.
I bet his spidey sense didn't see that coming.

In this case, however, persistence paid off, and we found a parking space next to a National Park HQ building that was definitely signed EMPLOYEES ONLY. VIOLATORS WILL BE TOWED.
Sorry, officer, I thought the sign said "VIOLATORS WILL BE TOAD" I assumed you had a witch on the NPS staff that had a neat trick of turning cars into frogs. I even got the special rental insurance in case that happened!

We had a specific goal here, and I have to give fellow DIS Dad @FreezinRafiki credit here. They had gone on a similar road trip out this way several months earlier, and this was one of the stops they made.
Sometimes, your only point in life is to be an example for others.

This is the regional National Park headquarters building. Alas, we couldn’t get inside and get a cheap National Park passport stamp for the Lewis & Clark National Trail since the building was closed. Still, cool building.

6RAbYTSMymkoSGYTHrEwzudNdLvLSzK4oHM1txTlYGopH35HiAWP-m1Um0d24pL1bDohZrkcrLVv7znYuEBu0Dsm5cWEqpJg9gCMBKsa3yCQ5A6cuPdxITwsGOIsYamKr4UD0N4s4JEj53pQdHD7JAlEB9wJvz5mSQoCPB6jSw040E_KSERdWc_0AUAA8HvKiY1KNPa4OZ4rZd_uT_yDqAAyaMwJn6wxV4FujsqR7yJazGbB79MWMHX7CIEwDhqdMiy7iTVp3HEFRzfU59TN-KGlQnzO61adTOqNpmY-uqQowNV2jOeWLb8Tnm_1UsnhNkpPh4FTvw54Os6aVBXEy5-3_b9o3KTkGvilm5jnHMRDs-7QycznjrOta67BHZD80QcT-j-N30jz5RxIqG7iVvBdIknll7EDeXlGJqbaf8FTgKJ_v22f63le2n7qvI6ZclICFI1GG3FsMhlfVfgSKbvIZRydG1FUDoVqwTo75UXaPNYZUdIVDMkFV7x6nprlMHMxt37ghDgba7buQ8LCNEJye25eJxb69MdzH1BTgErtr2kaWDLsTETqbYvxlyJ9wFEqD1LkVrkJ5Jm6e8kx1LsUlhu7SfYt9bDX5uvr_9T0D7FNEbYw=w1216-h811-no
Count your blessings that it was closed. They have playable native american drums in there that I couldn't get Evan and Ryder away from.

We got in the van and tried to dry off as best we could. Thankfully, there was no parking ticket on the windshield.
Or amphibians.

We stopped at Culver’s for frozen custard. And all was right with the world once again.
Well done!

Loving your trip report, stopping at Culvers is always the right thing to do. Although I may have mentioned this before, but Kopps custard in the Milwaukee area is really the best custard! Enjoyed your Hilton head report, hopefully I will get to see it for myself someday.

The Old Market area looks pretty neat and your meal at Spaghetti Works looks like a nice treat after Nebraska!

I like how you visited Iowa ... pretty neat to have your feet in two states at the same time! Totally counts in my book too (otherwise, I'd have to remove Idaho and Nebraska from our list ...:rolleyes1)!

You made It !!!!! A good meal and a walk over to another state... well done!!!

Sorry you got soaked. Been there. That is why the rain count is now kept. :rotfl2: And the van is a rental right? :rotfl2::rotfl2:

following the siren call of Italian food.

That's the call my stomach listens to as well.

this was the best way to cure the cramps of 9 hours in a minivan

That's the best way to cure just about anything.

If it's good enough for Cinderella, it's good enough for me.

The family Budget Committee approved.

A committee of 2.

if someone comes to your table and offers your kids balloon animals, is there any way you can possibly say no?

Well, yes, but who does?

VIOLATORS WILL BE TOWED

And were you?

You might think this is too big of a loophole, and that we can’t really say we’ve “visited” the state. And in the sense of truly getting a taste of Iowa, I can’t argue with you. All I can say is, cut us some slack. This is a huge country, and we’re based on the East Coast with a limited budget. It’s hard to pull this off. And you can’t say we weren’t physically in the state.

My neighbors have never been OUT OF OUR COUNTY! No lie.

You're doing a heck of a lot better than most.

old and exhausted and he’s the 4th kid, we didn’t fight him over it.

Ask how our #5 is doing in the "Slack Area".

Thankfully, there was no parking ticket on the windshield.

... while sitting in the impound yard.

Joining in, enjoying your report so far! I live in St Louis so I can't wait to see what you thought about STL! We are definitely a baseball town! We try to make a couple games each summer but it does get pricey... we usually buy the $15 promo tickets that come with a free hot dog & soft drink.

We did the drive out to Colorado and South Dakota last summer and it was a long trek down the Iowa/Nebraska border to get back to St Louis! We stopped at the same bridge so we could cross Nebraska off our list!

Great, now when I'm relaxing on the beach at HHI this summer, all I'm going to be able to think about is I-80 in Nebraska.

Well, if that's the case, I feel confident in saying you'll have no problem relaxing.

That's awesome!

Still didn't make me want to eat a salad, but it was cool.

"Hey kids - you wouldn't take balloon animals from a guy making out of his van in a dark alley, why would you take them from this lady. Don't make eye contact."

Wait, does she have candy?

I bet his spidey sense didn't see that coming.

This lends more credence to my theory that Drew is a super villain.

Sorry, officer, I thought the sign said "VIOLATORS WILL BE TOAD" I assumed you had a witch on the NPS staff that had a neat trick of turning cars into frogs. I even got the special rental insurance in case that happened!

Actually, she turned me into a newt.

I got better.

Sometimes, your only point in life is to be an example for others.

Sometimes?

Count your blessings that it was closed. They have playable native american drums in there that I couldn't get Evan and Ryder away from.

Oh, I'm sure that wouldn't have been an issue for--

Ok, yes. I'm very glad we couldn't get in there.

Or amphibians.

Like newts!

Well done!

We kinda liked that place, if you couldn't tell.

Loving your trip report, stopping at Culvers is always the right thing to do. Although I may have mentioned this before, but Kopps custard in the Milwaukee area is really the best custard! Enjoyed your Hilton head report, hopefully I will get to see it for myself someday.

Glad we got the Midwest seal of approval! Didn't get the chance to try Kopps, unfortunately.

You'd love Hilton Head! Really nice getaway spot.

The Old Market area looks pretty neat and your meal at Spaghetti Works looks like a nice treat after Nebraska!

We needed to carb up after all that driving!

I like how you visited Iowa ... pretty neat to have your feet in two states at the same time! Totally counts in my book too (otherwise, I'd have to remove Idaho and Nebraska from our list ...:rolleyes1)!

You do what you gotta do. If you were physically in the state, you were in the state!

You made It !!!!! A good meal and a walk over to another state... well done!!!

Good way to wind down after all that time in the car.
Sorry you got soaked. Been there. That is why the rain count is now kept. :rotfl2: And the van is a rental right? :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Exactly!

That's the call my stomach listens to as well.

As well it should!

That's the best way to cure just about anything.

Italian food just makes everything better.

If it's good enough for Cinderella, it's good enough for me.

I was wondering who would notice that!

A committee of 2.

One, actually. It goes along with the job of Fun Police.

Well, yes, but who does?

Only an ogre! Or maybe Barry.

And were you?

Of course not! When have my instincts ever failed us?

My neighbors have never been OUT OF OUR COUNTY! No lie.

You're doing a heck of a lot better than most.

At first I read that as "country", and I thought, well, that's not a big deal.

But the COUNTY??? Seriously? That's just...wow.

Ask how our #5 is doing in the "Slack Area".

Getting away with murder, huh? It feels unavoidable.

... while sitting in the impound yard.

O ye of little faith.

Joining in, enjoying your report so far! I live in St Louis so I can't wait to see what you thought about STL! We are definitely a baseball town! We try to make a couple games each summer but it does get pricey... we usually buy the $15 promo tickets that come with a free hot dog & soft drink.

:welcome: Thanks for joining in!

With a family of 6, ticket prices always add up quickly for us no matter what. I find that stadium tours work well for us as far as seeing a stadium while not breaking the back. STL was a little pricier than most, but there's some added value there...which I'll get to in a couple of updates.

We did the drive out to Colorado and South Dakota last summer and it was a long trek down the Iowa/Nebraska border to get back to St Louis! We stopped at the same bridge so we could cross Nebraska off our list!

Hey, you do what you gotta do! I wouldn't wish that I-80 drive on anyone.

You've probably already covered this, but...you're not going to even mention the Cinderella carriage?! :confused3

sINqrrKOAsOGPPv0bSV4irfhEQV9l0ykkVQlBAft9Iq4HhJMMcMpnojoJVlSS4jD4ahIgCPIqukQZL2iVqBnex9O-92vWcG7sRvSeTi28Od1hyBLSse0eIdp0Tmit1mAXP6JGOn46eb84sQSUXQHCqsYT_gwXLk9llm2QZXTWJJjG6aufzSxkWF1dJWMIOkBiKX27PuXdW5KXOA1VN2VcNcqgXPXjCPXQ7wpgR0THAVoRO5mpx7QqY5N4KtWGtLN5Y3rBvlZkMdgbaSIH4iPiSVOlyd6JySPP3FoBuWHGWWb8mzTqJZL4rWtpJQyKRkpRLokO0-f9dlvHUYCFJgPiCEMSxaHIwlusp6SPWfCA56q8suhX61ztQ5cQpi1Ot044-4mAgCBxic0GswdzPr-pZqPaPIJdPR0WqBuoZKADBhCqti6JnVCVc6C6e3xPRzmd-jmA6s5ztmmk2bMwUo3K7LYKc8rF8CvqSm0Ce1ev74sK2ZXHx2rpGKn0hv_v9mK8l-pLMbbM52TSsp_ocQezbuy2ALD3uu1JTGrideD8qfkHgLqslLQRHgPv4boxaggu6VX64QOGL8JHGF9oYQ66E7RREjvvAk8mkvHifrNcwx2urGATuL5=w1216-h811-no

That looks really cool! Now I feel stupid for throwing out our old toilet when we remodeled our bathroom.

Well, sure there is. You just say, “No.” It’s not quantum physics. Stand your ground and say, “No.” If you want to be polite, you can say, “No, thank you.” What, do you need a flowchart or something?

Like what you did when they were handing out free s'mores at Hilton Head.

w8TFUcGOiolWQTIUntLvcvaQSCcnFUinOQgoZgjwXrK4gc6ycbz08Da3Jqp9JmCGQmLnd_rR-iYoDttQ_yt4UKLVa3dYc-_fBGRtSz8Otz2283qKcttGbvGO0P-YNgkiXhA96S97j8Cj3a-kLX5cH2Wl1Kde0Z1KZ1rWDkj08A1s1n4p0n2dyT5IbHe7-eEehc4XjZDr4tJBLhH_rCRBLydstoHpHYUEFRx4IgK9GUkzCoquuKa5we3zy25Pir2K9jnyAMLikIcaAPnhMidNpQsjKKm7-xsSRegIloidRu-ukP1GVWSdn3nFKcSRX1zoJV7iK0VL19aTaYV2l4TQMuaWpokpyXOENhxczX-uttNeWlOczExQ2tITHkRI44QxXNWiavgAg9QG66GlIlajbgoIV9VWSTzKM_OMFZWYUB0_XlU7PkrAtppMMGjfjKPA5z8dYmaPolnZOcyeY4UnnhTgbNetGkwsGQMrqS4YVY2zBxmLJWSEQzZHKigsCM7EJ8URDV9l1ixDdcJ25gMKEvBZsd2qvu-RnhlNcm4bNbq1ITQ54yKLgs7KNCUCP04VhEyOk3_C8goIKvWmk6EiylKFZrvXcGc_eQ5AJjDswHMDtW1Tjo4x=w564-h845-no

It was Hulk who did it, wasn't it? I can see him reaching for Spidey in the picture.

But we never admit defeat in this family—we give lame excuses instead.

That's a great motto! Movie quote?

we found a parking space next to a National Park HQ building that was definitely signed EMPLOYEES ONLY. VIOLATORS WILL BE TOWED.

Well technically, you are an employee. Just not of that place.

Now, this still means some states (like Iowa) can get short shrift

Let's just say that some states deserve short shrift.

Yes, Drew is carrying a takeout box with his leftover pizza slice in it. He was attached to it for some reason, and because Julie and I are getting old and exhausted and he’s the 4th kid, we didn’t fight him over it.

You've been to more states than he has, but he's the only one who can say he delivered a pizza to Iowa.

You’re not going to believe this, either, but we didn’t have peanut butter-and-jelly sandwiches for lunch.

Why do you even bother to post stuff like that?
It's painfully obvious that you did indeed eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

We had ham & cheese. Benefits of having a fridge in the room.

Nah. Not buying it.

I believe you had a fridge... the sandwich part is unbelievable.

Who can resist a cute dog?

Depends on your definition.
This:
be821544fc5f328567cb538f96edb49a.jpg

Is not a cute dog.
That is a toilet bowl cleaner.

Or a puntable, depending on your preference.

We found shadow on the porch just outside the lobby doors, in the care of his Cast Member guardian, B’lou Crabbe*.

*Possibly not his real name.

Nah. I buy it.

The real main event here was B’lou. He greeted everyone, joked with the kids, and played folk songs (or Disney tunes) on his mandolin.

Nice!

For a while, he had a fun little Name That Tune game going, where he would play Disney songs of yesteryear for us. I had a hard time with it—they sounded so different on the mandolin, and he had a habit of hiding the melody while making all of the harmonies sound the same.

Huh! That's a pretty cool talent to have, actually.

Eventually, it would become clear. He had a great time playing Kiss The Girl from the Little Mermaid, refusing to quit until the men present had followed directions and kissed their wives.

awww....

How much slapping happened afterwards?

B’lou also played “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah” from Song of the South, and even had a tip on where to find a bootleg VHS copy of the movie in Savannah.

I'd be interested... if we still had a VCR.
Never have seen it. And I'd like to.

Unfortunately, Dave is painfully shy, and doesn’t like to be the center of attention. B’lou brought out his very best negotiating techniques, trying all sorts of different approaches to convince David that it would be fun, no one would jeer him if he messed up, or look at him funny, and the mandolin would not suddenly grow claws and attack him. We even got so far as to get him in the chair, holding the mandolin. But he didn’t play a note. He just wouldn’t do it.

Aw... I remember being pretty shy around that age.
Mostly with girls.

So, we chained him to the chair without any supper.

Sure. Parenting 101.

Ok, not really.

What?
Parenting fail.

We let him off the hook. No sense in torturing the poor kid. I do wish he’d taken the opportunity, though. It felt like an opportunity missed.

Or who knows. Maybe he'll remember listening and be inspired.
You just never know what will do it.

Moving into the lodge, we quickly fell into some highly intellectual, evenly matched battles of wits.

PLpeplUfGvx8DZ4A_jBbE_pqGekQ3z6HZ-8VbOisMdUmmgFjWxdtdifu9oymVxFw8OEuQCNp944umeKuHClbBWwi1z1DGE0IsUORd_jvWttzIC1Em6MU1BVircnIvjmywCdfPm10YjZ1pzEnZzmat2mT9BffVPTdMyCU5x1e5padEImBinATpCLx8OK0SVB7dFPUKBjO-sYYWwlyH5aAqo5MpykU7K1GIl5dSgfdHR2NNSU7IzzWCqwYHdF2EkiC9lkUDP4Fa30sETLEjwX43BRlC1Y3nVpm_kOaEbeYlQSrCClXhGBOHouigU-iwftOp79QyVGDe39vNyedu4QnG-noCPFNoKiYQHjGJd1pIUsbS6pCHgqTsTIcaGNfMJ3Up272SfhbLylq2_u9TBcDRpyedCKnvhN3nJ5UK6jGRJCx9GqQhuG9RATPrANL7UWcDLaFQNVEHNzmMuDM-VDdGD3zPwPVYIIvly0lUUXtlnWRCScec3nDh074kizDMn1uPXpJ5GDwj-Mwu-H6a5gdEqX91M7CR3mPJb0ky8KSzxXg2VA8kYSLJpI2gXCnRfBYySpW56XNr3i6jS6RYIPxVRM419IDM8mnmqfl3eGHeXIoRVtHL28T=w1130-h847-no

Hardly even. Come on. Who are you trying to kid.
You're obviously hopelessly outmatched.

And yet another nice touch from the CM’s here.

SdCqAWqIgRyKuLLmpEQbQQm_LEIBX-HG3diKbfiKA8UzdTcJQ8QCjTfINvTMVJJGPu6RqOz0uA2YI8MEeb9i5HWdWP7xhgaf1iitx3KfnAMz9i5W9Hzm5-f8n3j1RnmdjTufKp0le2XRpOL5strQN6cAD83Q6XIhPiGty6VonlWDze19qxEef-iNBeSdlUyefLMHCusYo6bHR3-bvOJ7DdDmmxoZvDqXDzBfEOuRGTLUFeffSf41185FYkyy8UxWxIeC5PrRKmkt36G-3NZYEh0cd5kzK-qv5b44ZCK0XoQnsR26Fy8c24lEJ0rBq_67cbSBV7Mqw1FY-0maR0A9Jk9B_M52dMp5r8PvBL6RsLvKEZsxz2NqGjCjTJzYR5owLBUKnjn--IrdUMGB8bm9KeLdDZ15SAD7IRLul_dpBkRYX1-ctJLEFKwTJTM6FlVSl1NkY4d07hS3VW4IeZcDYMt7csA-L950XECmnEHnCr3kNWVNWg5tjSwT03LP9g9ZRzF_sRtrDsMgH77NyxjM8rDRPx6nkmD9nyu-2jvZRAzo-EjSLn8jIZp9cEAXZI5lAYyggU4yk8p7DEOeQifLU4mRWuys8f6Id-MvfSHfVkwq-3OvH48b=w1130-h847-no

Hey! Cool!

We wandered the grounds a bit more and found a putting green, which meant the boys were suddenly occupied for hours and the girls suddenly felt a sudden urge to do…well, anything.

Anything? More putting?

Drew didn’t sit still for this photo because he wanted to go back to playing golf.

Daddy's boy obviously.

A wide receiver’s primary job is to catch footballs. Nelson cannot catch a football. Here’s some actual game footage of Mr. Agholor in action:

Agholor-drop-gif.gif

That's a talent in and of itself, isn't it?

I tuned into the game long enough to watch Mr. Agholor wipe out a long touchdown pass due to a penalty—he couldn’t line up properly. All he had to do was stand in the right place at the line of scrimmage, and he couldn’t do that. I’m not making this up.

:laughing:
Not bitter at all. Good for you.

Looks pretty good though. How was the mac 'n' cheese?

As you can see, my kids hated it and begged to leave.

:laughing: They look absolutely horrified.

Meanwhile, I took the camera and roamed a bit. Here’s the gift shop, posted for reference so you know where you’ll be taking out a second mortgage once your kids start begging for souvenirs.

Don't you hate how inviting it looks?
Must be what a fly sees when he looks at a Venus Flytrap.

Coming Up Next: Another day of nothing. If I keep this up, you might wish I would get back to talking about Nebraska.

Can't wait! I wonder when you'll post it!!!

oh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter