A Full Go on Riviera Resort

Point chart. This one seems to be the controversial one. You can get more room for less points at other DVC resorts--absolute fact. I think coming in as a newbie DVC owner provides a certain perspective (or maybe a willful ignorance, in my case at least) on this aspect. I can look at points charts all day, but it's abstract. I've never experienced how far my 100 points go elsewhere or most of the other rooms/resorts, so I don't know what I'm missing. I think Disney counts on this. I think the Riviera point chart is a much harder pill to swallow for folks accustomed to and expecting to see their points go further. In my case, seeing the tower studio in person was crucial. Even though the same points could get me a bigger room elsewhere, we liked Riviera, the tower, and its point chart, which all was doable for a buy-in we were comfortable with. But I'm equally sure there will be new prospective buyers who just can't get down with the idea of spending more for less at Riviera vs. resale at other DVC resorts, and that's cool too. Ultimately, I think you have to really, really love RIV first and foremost. Then decide if you can get past knowing that others are able to stretch their points further than you can, and if the benefits of the Riviera to you are worth that trade-off.

I think this is super-self-aware, and I agree - since we already owned at BLT and VGF, I look and say, RIV studios may cost more than BLT but they sleep more people more comfortably with a better bathroom layout. And RIV standard any size costs fewer points than VGF standard, so by my experience, this is what I am used to paying for a nice DVC villa. I value each of my 3 home resorts for different reasons, but the fact that they are fairly close in pointiness (love the term) is ok with me because I think they each have something different to offer that make them preferred for different stays.

Edited: Now, if I'd ever owned points at BWV and stayed more frequently, for example, I might be singing a different tune. We stayed once on cash in a 1br as our first DVC stay, and loved it.

Last edited:
I think this is super-self-aware, and I agree - since we already owned at BLT and VGF, I look and say, RIV studios may cost more than BLT but they sleep more people more comfortably with a better bathroom layout. And RIV standard any size costs fewer points than VGF standard, so by my experience, this is what I am used to paying for a nice DVC villa. I value each of my 3 home resorts for different reasons, but the fact that they are fairly close in pointiness (love the term) is ok with me because I think they each have something different to offer that make them preferred for different stays.

I could have written this exact same post @kboo!

We own at some of the “pointiest” WDW resorts (VGF and BLT). The point cost at RIV isn’t something I cheer about, but I’m used to it.

My points at BWV went further, but I didn’t like the resort as much as what I saw with RIV, and my DH really didn’t like it. He thought the BWV rooms looked like a regular mid-level hotel rooms. I disagreed, but that was his opinion. He was actually the main one who wanted to sell BWV and buy RIV. I came around after we talked about it until neither of us could hear the terms Boardwalk or Riviera without walking into a different room to avoid talking about it anymore. Haha. We’re both happy with our decision. We didn’t lose money on the BWV sale, and RIV seems to be a better fit for us than BWV.

I have not yet seen a room in DRR. I have visited the resort via Skyliner from HS. My first impression while traveling over the colorful CBR was of a Soviet Era apartment block. Mind you, that is just "skin deep".

My biggest concern is the DRR Skyliner station. I did not see provisions to move a vehicle aside for stationary loading/unloading scooters and wheelchairs. This could be the cause behind stoppages on the CBR-DRR-Epcot line. I can see this becoming an issue as DRR sales out.

I could have written this exact same post @kboo!

We own at some of the “pointiest” WDW resorts (VGF and BLT). The point cost at RIV isn’t something I cheer about, but I’m used to it.

My points at BWV went further, but I didn’t like the resort as much as what I saw with RIV, and my DH really didn’t like it. He thought the BWV rooms looked like a regular mid-level hotel rooms. I disagreed, but that was his opinion. He was actually the main one who wanted to sell BWV and buy RIV. I came around after we talked about it until neither of us could hear the terms Boardwalk or Riviera without walking into a different room to avoid talking about it anymore. Haha. We’re both happy with our decision. We didn’t lose money on the BWV sale, and RIV seems to be a better fit for us than BWV.
As I said TC, no one thinks the same. I don’t own there but Boardwalk is my favourite resort, back in summer, I adore that place as does my wife- we prefer it to Beach Club due to the atmosphere and decor, and like the clown pool area.

While I only had a chance to walk around a bit, I too have seen pictures of views of CBR, and like the view. It makes me forget I’m in the middle of central Florida, and reminds me a little of what Nassau looks like when we dock at port from a cruise.

For someone who never thought it’d be a resort of choice, to now owning there, I think it just goes to show that there really is a DVC resort for all and that not one will suit everyone!

Funny, I was thinking Riv is like a cruise ship at dock.

I have not yet seen a room in DRR. I have visited the resort via Skyliner from HS. My first impression while traveling over the colorful CBR was of a Soviet Era apartment block. Mind you, that is just "skin deep".

My biggest concern is the DRR Skyliner station. I did not see provisions to move a vehicle aside for stationary loading/unloading scooters and wheelchairs. This could be the cause behind stoppages on the CBR-DRR-Epcot line. I can see this becoming an issue as DRR sales out.
You are correct Riviera’s station doesn’t have a secondary loading loop for loading/unloading the scooters, etc. So the protocol has been a line stoppage to load those in on at Riviera. Though the magnitude of scooters getting on and off at that station is much less than the other stations. I also suspect they have to wait for a cabin that is scheduled to be dumped into the secondary loading loop at the terminal stations as it is schedule based on demand based on which cabins enter and don’t (i.e. those using the secondary boarding wait specific set of time even if the cabin is ready to be dispatched)

Also I would say at this point similar to any Disney resort Riviera is at capacity. Thus personal conclusions can be drawn yourself on the line stoppages. Unless of course you believe DVC owners are using scooters, etc. more prevalent than the cash staying guests at Riviera.

As I said TC, no one thinks the same. I don’t own there but Boardwalk is my favourite resort, back in summer, I adore that place as does my wife- we prefer it to Beach Club due to the atmosphere and decor, and like the clown pool area.

We did like the clown pool. How can you not?!? It’s amazing!!! :)

We did like the clown pool. How can you not?!? It’s amazing!!! :)

Count me as a clown pool lover, too. Although my DH prefers SAB, and so we were at a stalemate in the BCV/BWV debate. That said, when we discussed whether to look at 7mo to move closer to the BW this summer (we already had a reservation booked at 11 mo at RIV), he wanted to stay at RIV. We both love the BW area, I wish it were walkable, but it's a nice Skyliner ride from RIV.

I find it interesting that people keep criticizing the view of CBR from Riviera. It is a beautiful resort which is kept up extremely well. When we went out in the terrace at Topolinos, I remember thinking how nice CBR and the lake looked. I don’t know about the rooms at CBR, as I have never stayed there, but the grounds are very pretty which is what you’re looking at from RIV. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. My opinion is that the view of the lake and CBR is a pretty one.
They just got done with a very badly needed refurbishment of CBR. From stories I have heard the place was In shambles. Don’t forget they tore down a whole section of CBR and built RIV in its place. I foresee Disney in the future possibly doing the same thing to the campground. Lots of prime real estate there and move them to a less prime piece of land further from MK.

Commenting on two separate points.
1) From my signature you see that I own at BCV. Not so much for the pool but for the dedicated 2bdrm villa that BWV does not have. Mind you if we primarily used grand villas, the shoe would be on the other foot. Having experienced Disney transportation delays, I like having reliable means (shanks ponies) available.

2) With respect to scooter usage at DRR. It is a large resort. I do not necessarily think that scooter usage is proportionately higher than other DVC resorts, I just think that the absolute number of scooters will go up as a function of occupancy. I expect more frequent delays at the beginning and end of the day.

Does anyone know how often the points per night changes? Are they pretty consistent year to year? Or do they go up a lot over 5-10 years? I'm new to DVC and looking to buy our first contract and I was just wondering if the point cost per night for say June changes much over time of ownership.

They just got done with a very badly needed refurbishment of CBR. From stories I have heard the place was In shambles. Don’t forget they tore down a whole section of CBR and built RIV in its place. I foresee Disney in the future possibly doing the same thing to the campground. Lots of prime real estate there and move them to a less prime piece of land further from MK.

I foresee Disney tearing down most of CBR and turning that into a shopping/ entertainment area. Think about it--skyliner access to that location would be very lucrative for them. Something to think about.

2) With respect to scooter usage at DRR. It is a large resort. I do not necessarily think that scooter usage is proportionately higher than other DVC resorts, I just think that the absolute number of scooters will go up as a function of occupancy. I expect more frequent delays at the beginning and end of the day.
My point I was trying to make is the resort is already at full occupancy. Disney has been renting out all additional rooms on the cash side and the availability is fairly low if you go to search in the immediate future (all cash resorts, which unsold riviera falls into basically, operate at full occupancy almost year round). So I was trying to say if that was a concern I think you can already start making judgement calls on the scooter and skyliner impact because the unsold inventory doesn’t sit empty.

I'm not a DVC owner but I plan to be soon. Last year I took 3 trips-Coronado, Con. Garden Wing, and Con. Main tower. Not rack rate but close enough....anyway thank you for this thread.

I want the rooms and facilities to be nice and I want to be able to take my grandkids to Disney (when I have them still at least 10 years or more out). Over the years we keep coming back to the contemporary especially the garden wing because it's ease of pool access and we can walk to MK. We dislike the Contempo Main tower because of the Chef Mickey traffic when you are trying to get from room to pool and back. PUBLIC SERVICE ANOUNCEMENT CHEF MICKEY IS ON THE 4TH FLOOR-NO NEED TO PUSH ALL THE FLOOR BUTTONS TO GET THERE. Easy access from room to pool and back is a huge plus for my family and it looks like the Riv. is a huge tower thus standing in an elevator with wet kids for multiple floor stops is just a bummer.

With that in mind how would folks rate the Riv. in terms of access to the pool and ability to get to the parks in a timely manner? I can buy into one of the other DVC resorts for a few less years than the Riv. and more $ per point-but I know I can get ease of access to parks, great pool.

One other question-with the DVC "perks" can't those go away at anytime? The only thing that you are really buying are the points? So for example Moonlight Magic and dinning discounts-could go away tomorrow?

I'm not a DVC owner but I plan to be soon. Last year I took 3 trips-Coronado, Con. Garden Wing, and Con. Main tower. Not rack rate but close enough....anyway thank you for this thread.

I want the rooms and facilities to be nice and I want to be able to take my grandkids to Disney (when I have them still at least 10 years or more out). Over the years we keep coming back to the contemporary especially the garden wing because it's ease of pool access and we can walk to MK. We dislike the Contempo Main tower because of the Chef Mickey traffic when you are trying to get from room to pool and back. PUBLIC SERVICE ANOUNCEMENT CHEF MICKEY IS ON THE 4TH FLOOR-NO NEED TO PUSH ALL THE FLOOR BUTTONS TO GET THERE. Easy access from room to pool and back is a huge plus for my family and it looks like the Riv. is a huge tower thus standing in an elevator with wet kids for multiple floor stops is just a bummer.

With that in mind how would folks rate the Riv. in terms of access to the pool and ability to get to the parks in a timely manner? I can buy into one of the other DVC resorts for a few less years than the Riv. and more $ per point-but I know I can get ease of access to parks, great pool,

Personally I am a BLT fan, I’d rather buy BLT than RIV. Of course it’s cheaper resale, I’d buy BLT resale. I wouldn’t buy any sold out resort direct, but I’d buy RIV direct if I was buying.

The Crescent Lake resorts are the best IMO but I like Epcot more than MK. I wouldn’t buy them though due to contract length and disproportionate price.

Riv uses Skyliner for Epcot and HWS. To Epcot it’s 5 mins, IF it doesn’t stop working. I was stuck for 15 mins once because an error was made loading a disabled gondola at the Riv station and the sensors brought the Skyliner to a halt. It then has to be checked and reset. Aside from these issues I’m a massive Skyliner fan.

HWS is about 10 mins or more- you have to change at Caribbean Beach. Easy though.

MK is basically by bus, about 15 mins but note the busses are now reduced. I travelled by bus from Riv to DS only and it took half an hour for one to come.

To me, based on your description a resale BLT contract would be ideal for you, plus you have Top of the World Lounge there and NYE/ 4 July fireworks from there is great.

MK is basically by bus, about 15 mins but note the busses are now reduced. I travelled by bus from Riv to DS only and it took half an hour for one to come.
Only the buses to Epcot and HS have been reduced. The MK and AK buses operate on the same schedule as all other resorts. The DS buses always seem to operate less frequently than any other park bus (same with the water parks).

Only the buses to Epcot and HS have been reduced. The MK and AK buses operate on the same schedule as all other resorts. The DS buses always seem to operate less frequently than any other park bus (same with the water parks).
OK good info thanks.

My point I was trying to make is the resort is already at full occupancy. Disney has been renting out all additional rooms on the cash side and the availability is fairly low if you go to search in the immediate future (all cash resorts, which unsold riviera falls into basically, operate at full occupancy almost year round). So I was trying to say if that was a concern I think you can already start making judgement calls on the scooter and skyliner impact because the unsold inventory doesn’t sit empty.
I take your point (now). I have thoughts about the type of guest that would stay at DRR based on... nothing.

I take your point (now). I have thoughts about the type of guest that would stay at DRR based on... nothing.
Not my implication at all, apologize if you read into my message that way, but I wanted to highlight part of my original post that seemed might have been missed based on your response to it. You simply stated that scooter magnitude would increase with increasing occupancy, I agree with that statement. However, I just wanted to note that Riviera is at full capacity (or near it) so you you can start to make some assumptions on the impact to the Skyliner now, since as you stated you don't think DVC owners would use scooters at any higher rate (unless you disagree with that, at which point I would recommend waiting until the resort sells out).

I do agree the mornings and end of days will have more delays than most of the day simply cause more guests will be using the skyliner so we can expect more scooters during that time.

Does anyone know how often the points per night changes? Are they pretty consistent year to year? Or do they go up a lot over 5-10 years? I'm new to DVC and looking to buy our first contract and I was just wondering if the point cost per night for say June changes much over time of ownership.
Interesting you should ask. The TOTAL number of points per year per villa remain constant. The points for any given night can vary. In fact for calendar year 2021, DVC has increased the number of point periods from 5 to 7 and redistributed the points per night. (Some increase in the number of points required for when I usually travel and a decrease in the number of points when I usually do not travel.) DVC may be doing this to make more availability during popular times of the year and/or encouraging more point purchases (more likely).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter