• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A few More Monsters Inc Reviews.

YoHo

If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.
I found this generally positive review from Chicago

http://alliance.zap2it.com/custom/metromix/main_template/0,1325,8-9382-1,00.html

Note this especially

Nevertheless, James P. Sullivan (a.k.a. "Sulley") — the big, furry blue monster who is Monsters, Inc.'s top-ranking kid-Scarer — and his green sidekick, Mike Wazowski — whose dominant features are a whopping big eyeball, a yappy mouth and spindly legs — outcharm Shrek by a swamp's length. (That movie's rabid fans are free

"Monsters, Inc.," the first Pixar Animation/Disney feature since the great "Toy Story 2," is every bit as sly-witted as "Shrek" but not nearly so self-conscious. The pop-culture references here are neither as numerous as in "Shrek" nor as central to the concept

Unlike "Shrek," which seemed to be trying to appeal to everybody without providing a consistent tone or message for anybody, "Monsters, Inc." is a G-rated family movie that knows its audience of the young and the young at heart. And it offers a lesson that seems particularly apt these days: Scaring kids may be inevitable, but making them laugh is a lot more satisfying.

and this

http://www.eonline.com/Reviews/Facts/Movies/Reviews/0,1052,84558,00.html

and this

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/review/movie/0,6115,182272~1~0~monstersinc,00.html

What I find interesting about the EW review is that the only reference to Shrek is here

But then, in the finale, it roars alive in a giddy chase during which Sulley, Mike, and Boo find themselves up against Randall, facing hundreds, thousands, maybe millions of bedroom closet doors. Such a scream! Only an ogre would complain. B

Where the movie is not even referenced by name. This is also the last paragraph of the review.
Congratulations Entertainment Weekly.

I've read many reviews which compare Monsters to Shrek. They seem to be split about 50/50 as to which movie the reviewer thought was better, though a couple particularly well written reviews compare the two without saying which is better. The review in the Orlando Sentinel was especially good.
Orlando Sentinel Review
The new Monsters, Inc. is, along with this summer's Shrek, part of a welcome trend to treat monsters with respect and simple fairness.
Or this review from the NY Post
NY Post review
Solid family entertainment that will appeal to many adults, "Monsters, Inc." is a worthy competitor to DreamWorks' "Shrek" for the first Best Animated Feature Oscar.
Well, with all the mixed reviews I decided the only way for me to decide which is better was to go see the movie myself so I rounded up the family and we all went to see the 8:00pm showing of Monsters, Inc. tonight.

We all thought the movie was excellent and well worth going to see. I'm sure I'll also be picking this one up on DVD when it's released. Here's how I think it compares to Shrek:

Story: Tough one. I like Shrek, but can see how someone could prefer monsters. Monsters touches on more emotions, however it spends a little to much time on the 'bad guys' and the story seems to go flat in a few spots.
Animation: Tie unless animated fur is your thing in which case Monsters wins.
Voice Acting: Shrek! Mike Myers did a slightly better job with Shrek than John Goodman did with Sulley, however Billy Crystal as Mike doesn't even come close to Eddie Murphy's Donkey.
Soundtrack: Shrek by a mile. My kids love the songs during Shrek. I didn't hear a single song during Monsters until the credits started to roll. Can't imagine they'll be selling any soundtracks to this one.
Cute factor: Monsters. You can't help but like Boo and share Sulley's feelings for her.
Humor: Monsters has some moments, but Shrek wins this one easily. Now if you count the Pixar short at the beginning it might be closer...that was VERY funny.
Ending: The ending of Monsters is emotionally touching, however in my opinion nothing Shrek's upbeat happy ending.
Merchandising: Monsters. Disney knows how to sell products based on their movies. This one is no exception. I can almost imagine a roller coaster based on the scene with all the doors.
Overall: Monsters is VERY good and definately worth seeing, but Shrek is still the better movie...IMHO. Fortunately there is no reason for anyone not to see both of these excellent films.

DARNIT DARNIT DARNIT DRAT DRAT BLAST.
JOHARE, HOW DARE YOU STEAL MY ROLLERCOASTER IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I am convinced we've seen the next E-Ticket and while I hate roller COasters, that one done right would be a blast.

I'm going to probably swing the opposit way as far as which movie I liked better.

As much laughing as I did at Shrek, I found the humor in Monsters more to my liking.

I for one liked the hair, but in general, I thought the animation in Monsters was lightyears ahead of shrek. That doesn't really surprise me though they've been doing this longer.

As to the soundtrack, I think it will sell about as well as a toystory. Of course The Minute I heard Smashmouth at the beginning of Shrek I wanted to bust the projector, so I'm biased. (the sad part is I used to like Smashmouth up until Allstar)

Of course, for me, the best part of the Ep 2 Preview which blew my mind. (Best Preview EVER) And I'm saying AV is wrong about good previews AV is Wrong about good previews ...... silently in my head.

Definatly a great movie. Nothing like Shrek. Boo is adorable.

I am convinced we've seen the next E-Ticket and while I hate roller COasters, that one done right would be a blast
It would at least make a good video game for starters! If they do build a 'Monsters' attraction I hope it's more than just a roller coaster. A more traditional Disney ride which turns into a roller coaster at the end for the 'doors scene' would be great.

As much laughing as I did at Shrek, I found the humor in Monsters more to my liking.
Guess we're opposites here...Monsters had it's funny moments, but I thought Shrek was much funnier.

I for one liked the hair, but in general, I thought the animation in Monsters was lightyears ahead of shrek. That doesn't really surprise me though they've been doing this longer.
Have to disagree again here. I think the animation in Shrek is every bit as good as Monsters.
As to the soundtrack, I think it will sell about as well as a toystory. Of course The Minute I heard Smashmouth at the beginning of Shrek I wanted to bust the projector, so I'm biased.
What soundtrack? I don't see how they can even have a soundtrack for Monsters. Toy Story at least had several good songs in each movie. btw: Hey, here's a quiz...what Disney movie features your favorite song...All Star! :)

Of course, for me, the best part of the Ep 2 Preview which blew my mind
I'm not that big a Star Wars fan, but that preview was pretty good...in fact, I think I enjoyed the preview more than all of EP1. I'm definately going to have to go see EP2 when it comes out.

My DH said the same thing about the roller coaster, but we said the same thing about a Tarzan coaster, the way they had him surfing through the trees, and I haven't seen that built yet.

I'm not going to compare Shrek and Monsters to much, I like them both for different reasons. I think the type of humor and style of Monsters will play better with the Moms and the "girly" girls, but Shrek plays better with the Dads and teenage boys. And that's okay! It's great for any animation fan if Shrek and Monsters make oodles of money and it's something the field desperately needs after Atlantis, Emperor's New Groove, and Road to El Dorado. Animation is not dead, just rush jobs using recycled formulas.

But I got to ask...at the last few scenes in Monsters, I saw 3 Easter eggs (Jessie, Astrojet poster and Columbia poster) what did I miss?

"...at the last few scenes in Monsters, I saw 3 Easter eggs (Jessie, Astrojet poster and Columbia poster) what did I miss?"

A super secret one....

One of toys that Boo's gives to Sulley at the end is the star of Pixar's next movie.

I can't believe you knew about the toy thing! Now, I'm trying to remember each toy she gave him.....

I think each movie is superb! I was also thinking that the tone of each movie was so different there isn't really any need to compare. Y'all seemed to hit the nail on the head with your reviews. One thing that I was disappointed in was the soundtrack. I was totally preparing to want the soundtrack before I saw the movie, but I don't recall anything worth buying! We have the Shrek soundtrack and I listen to is as much as my kids! I love it! But, I plan on buying my kids The Game of Life -- Monsters, Inc., so I guess the money on merchandise is a wash.

BTW, I was thinking while I was watching the door scene, "I wonder if they are trying to set this up for a new ride.....cool!!)

Kim, (still trying to recover from just taking 9 kids to see Monsters, Inc. on opening day!!)

:smooth:

For those who have seen Monsters? Do you think it is at all scary (for 3 and 5 year old girls)? We have been enjoying the previews for this movie for months and are excited it is finally out. But the review in our newspaper this morning had a warning: "Some scenes may a tad scary for some toddlers". Our 5 year old is going through a "monster" phase and has a hard time getting to sleep at night, but this movie looked so NOT scary to me, what does everyone think? BTW: Both kids LOVED Shrek!

One thing that I was disappointed in was the soundtrack. I was totally preparing to want the soundtrack before I saw the movie, but I don't recall anything worth buying! We have the Shrek soundtrack and I listen to is as much as my kids! I love it! But, I plan on buying my kids The Game of Life -- Monsters, Inc., so I guess the money on merchandise is a wash.
Monsters seems to have generated better merchandise/toys than Shrek did. Yesterday I picked up Shrek on DVD,($18) but I also bought the Electronic Monsters, Inc. Factory ($40) and the build your own Sulley ($16) and build your own Mike ($16) toys. Even though I think Shrek is a better movie and is more 're-watchable', Monsters is winning $72 to $18 on movie related merchandise! If you pick up the Game of Life, let me know how that one is. I was considering getting that also.
BTW, I was thinking while I was watching the door scene, "I wonder if they are trying to set this up for a new ride.....cool!!)
...or at least a decent video game!

johare, i could not agree with you more on all points....i get a kick out of the people on the boards who don't like the "sophmoric" nature of Shrek, but the funniest part of the movie (the birds premovie withstanding) was when mike intentionally fell on his groin area to get Boo to laugh..that was the biggest laugh of the nite in the theatre where i saw it.....personally, i like a good, wholesome "bronx cheer" in a movie if its funny..

MrsMud,

I don't think that kids will be scared at all. It's a very gentle movie in most respects. Perfect for kids! (And this big "kid" too!)

those ages could get scared and do get scared..my 3 year old told me he was scared..my friend's five year old was scared..i laughed when i saw all the little kids clutching their parents during the scary moments

About the "is it scary?" question....I personally didn't think that the intense parts of Monsters, Inc. were any scarier than the dragon part of Shrek. Although, one 6yr. old boy that went with us told me it was 1) funny 2)a little scary 3) sad (counting them off on his fingers).

One thing you may want to do is see it during the day, so they will have plenty of time before going to bed (just in case). And, we always let the little ones sit in our laps just in case they feel nervous during the intense parts of the movie.

All said and done, you know your kids better than anyone else. If you're still unsure, you may just want to wait and let the 3 yr. old see it on video.

Enjoy!!!

Kim:smooth:

For what it's worth, our three year (almost 4) old daughter was never scared during Monsters, inc.

Yahoo's got a mighty big number for the weekend. Other sites are predicting $47m-$50m after with Friday's $17. That will put Monsters well short of TS2 ($57m). Kids movies seem to have strange patterns on opening weekend.

Shrek did: $11.5 Friday, $17.5 Saturday & $13.2 Sunday on it's first weekend. If Monsters, Inc. follows that pattern then $60m+ is possible.

I'm looking forward to seeing Sat & Sun's number.

Current estimates give Monsters a very impressive $63.4 million opening weekend. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over the next few weeks when the competition gets a little tougher.

Monsters did in fact follow the pattern with better Sat & Sun numbers. As for the Shrek-Monsters race. Shrek followed up it's opening weekend with a match on Memorial Day. Monsters still has T-giving on the horizon, but faces some stiff competion. If Monsters can drum up 5x opening weekend, it'll be huge.

Monsters Inc is a Disney film and I think that a large number of those who wanted to see it, went on opening weekend just because it was the latest and greatest from Disney/Pixar. Shrek on the other hand didn't have the Disney name behind it and many probably waited until word of mouth got around that it was a really great movie worth seeing. I expect that Monsters will do very well and may even beat Shrek, however Monsters will experience a larger week to week drop than Shrek did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter