A Dis Dad's Thanksgiving

Well, I finally settled on a formula after a few years of tinkering with the ingredients...

It's a combination of Salt, Garlic Powder (NOT GARLIC SALT!!), Chili Powder, Black Pepper and Red Pepper.

It's not as spicy as you would think, and--in my opinion--it's pretty darn good.:thumbsup2

No secrets here, just some trial and error, if you want it, PM me.

I find rubs dont work as well as injecting,especially when frying.I do Cajun aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh a Cajun turkey is awesome even the kids like it.I have also done creole injected that one was really good also.

We don't have many stops for our holidays. My dad died in '92, and we've slowly drifted away from his side of the family. DW's parents are in FL, and both of their families are a 6 hour ride away. We usually see them over the summer instead of driving up there in the winter.
So Thanksgiving is usually at my sister's house - which is still a little over an hour away. She convinced me, her daughter and daughter's boyfriend to do the local Turkey Trot 2 Mile run that morning, so we'll be getting up there very early.
Lunch/Dinner will probably be in the afternoon, after the Packer game. It's always turkey and ... whatever my sister decides to make. She like to experiment in the kitchen, so there is not traditional food other than the turkey. It's usually pretty good, whatever she makes.

Deep fried turkey at its best. Wild Rice stuffing with sage sausage (just to get more meat into the menu), sweet potatos, PIE (lots of it) and my wifes homemade rolls.

Thankful for my health, it may not be that good but there are others on this very same forum who's spouses or selves is worse. Im thankful for a job, not the best job but it beats the alternative. Im thankful for a Heavenly Father that leads and guides me. I thnakful that I live my life worthy to have the Holy Ghost with me. But mostly Im thankful for my smokin hot wife and my 4 beautiful children who, even with all my many faults, love and adore me.
Im thankful for a country that I live in where Im able to have a nemesis and not get in trouble for it. Im thankful for Dads that, like me, enjoy the funner things in life (yes I said funner).
Thank you to all my "board" friends I have throughly enjoyed meeting some of you and look forward to meeting more in the up coming years.

Deep fried turkey at its best. Wild Rice stuffing with sage sausage (just to get more meat into the menu), sweet potatos, PIE (lots of it) and my wifes homemade rolls.

Thankful for my health, it may not be that good but there are others on this very same forum who's spouses or selves is worse. Im thankful for a job, not the best job but it beats the alternative. Im thankful for a Heavenly Father that leads and guides me. I thnakful that I live my life worthy to have the Holy Ghost with me. But mostly Im thankful for my smokin hot wife and my 4 beautiful children who, even with all my many faults, love and adore me.
Im thankful for a country that I live in where Im able to have a nemesis and not get in trouble for it. Im thankful for Dads that, like me, enjoy the funner things in life (yes I said funner).
Thank you to all my "board" friends I have throughly enjoyed meeting some of you and look forward to meeting more in the up coming years.

Well said Mark.

I couldn't help but laugh when you said you were thankful for your smokin' hot wife. It instantly reminded me of that scene in "Talledega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby".

"Dear Lord baby Jesus, we thank you so much for this bountiful harvest of Dominos, KFC, and the always delicious Taco Bell. I just want to take time to say thank you for my family. My two sons, Walker, and Texas Ranger, or TR as we call him. And of course my red hot smokin' wife Carley, who is a stone cold fox..." :thumbsup2

Well said Mark.

I couldn't help but laugh when you said you were thankful for your smokin' hot wife. It instantly reminded me of that scene in "Talledega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby".

"Dear Lord baby Jesus, we thank you so much for this bountiful harvest of Dominos, KFC, and the always delicious Taco Bell. I just want to take time to say thank you for my family. My two sons, Walker, and Texas Ranger, or TR as we call him. And of course my red hot smokin' wife Carley, who is a stone cold fox..." :thumbsup2
That line was actually used by a preacher in a pre-race prayer this summer.
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/07/25/pastor-defends-calling-wife-smokin-hot-in-prayer-before-nascar-race/

WOW!! Everyone's menu sounds good!

As for me..... I will be working from thurs-tues, so nothing special ON T-day. Our plan is to cook up a small turkey AND a delmonico roast stuffed with garlic tomorrow! :) The side dishes will be mashed po-tay-toes, corn, carrots, stuffing, cranberry sauce. Then for drinks....only the best wine from a box followed by dessert. The desserts are usually apple pie and scotch....possibly some coffee. Finally when it's all over bed...in order to be ready for a crazy day at the hospital.

This year we're doing things a little different.

In years pass, no matter who's house we're at, I cook the Turkey. This year we're at DD1's house And she is cooking the Turkey. :scared1: Of coarse she has borrowed my recipe and all my cooking implements to do the job with. :thumbsup2 For the first time in I don't know how long, this year I'm just a guest, and other than help DW with her dishes, I'm not cooking! :yay:

Thanksgiving is my Mom's holiday most years (though now that my in-laws have moved closer to us, I suspect we'll be there sometimes going forward). Mom makes the turkey and a few sides, everybody brings something. My wife's usual contribution is desserts. This year's Thanksgiving is small - there are only 24 of us, since my brother and sister-in-law won't be back yet from work in Hawaii and some of the cousins who usually come are with their fiancees' families this year. We have a couple of important traditions, which I have photos of:

First, Mom roasts the turkey and my uncle carves
DSC_2046.JPG

While my uncle carves, my generation participates in what is know as "The Scavenge." In this photo, my youngest brother is explaining the rules of The Scavenge to a couple of newbies (my sister-in-law and teenage cousin)
DSC_2047.JPG

"The Scavenge" involves snagging small bits of turkey that fall off the bird during the carving process for pre-serving tastes. Key rules:
1) You can't scavenge a piece that is big enough to serve :sad2:
2) You can't grab a piece that is still connected to the bird :sad2:
3) The knife is not going to stop. Pay attention. If you lose a finger, it's your problem. Get it out of there quick, before you befoul any more turkey than necessary. :scared1:

We also have a tradition of taking a family photo on the front steps of my parents' house each Thanksgiving. (There are almost always non-family-member guests who are happy to take the picture, but for this one, I used my new remote control to take the pic). Here's last year's pic:
DSC_7209.JPG

Well said my friend, well said :thumbsup2

Thanksgiving is my Mom's holiday most years (though now that my in-laws have moved closer to us, I suspect we'll be there sometimes going forward). Mom makes the turkey and a few sides, everybody brings something. My wife's usual contribution is desserts. This year's Thanksgiving is small - there are only 24 of us, since my brother and sister-in-law won't be back yet from work in Hawaii and some of the cousins who usually come are with their fiancees' families this year. We have a couple of important traditions, which I have photos of:

First, Mom roasts the turkey and my uncle carves
DSC_2046.JPG

While my uncle carves, my generation participates in what is know as "The Scavenge." In this photo, my youngest brother is explaining the rules of The Scavenge to a couple of newbies (my sister-in-law and teenage cousin)
DSC_2047.JPG

"The Scavenge" involves snagging small bits of turkey that fall off the bird during the carving process for pre-serving tastes. Key rules:
1) You can't scavenge a piece that is big enough to serve :sad2:
2) You can't grab a piece that is still connected to the bird :sad2:
3) The knife is not going to stop. Pay attention. If you lose a finger, it's your problem. Get it out of there quick, before you befoul any more turkey than necessary. :scared1:

We also have a tradition of taking a family photo on the front steps of my parents' house each Thanksgiving. (There are almost always non-family-member guests who are happy to take the picture, but for this one, I used my new remote control to take the pic). Here's last year's pic:
DSC_7209.JPG

A holiday with sharp objects and the possibility of someone being maimed, you sure you are not Sicilian :lmao:

Just did a trial run of the rolls. Pretty good. Need to be kept in the oven a couple of minutes more.

OK let start with saying I will be staying home and cooking a meal for my family.I started this many yrs ago,my wife was working so I invited the whole family Grandmother, mother-in law,aunts,etc over to surprise her when she got home.We had many people. Since then some have passed away,and many have gone elsewhere.However there is still my family my mother,step father and mother-in-law that still come over.
Now done to the good part. The food !!!

I will do 3 turkeys all about 18-20 pounders. one in the oven and deep fry 2.( yes I said 3 turkeys we love our turkey)
Mashed potatoes is a must
My favorite wild rice casserole
Stuffing stove top and homemade
Sweet potatoes
Green Bean casserole
corn
Cranberry sauce
home made apple sauce
Dinner rolls
salad
Jello salad something or other
pickle olives
5 pumpkin pies!!! we love our pumpkin pie also
Coconut custard pie
apple pie
oh did I say there will only be ten of us but I cook enough to feed 20 or so

You want some extended family to join you this year? We can be there in under an hour!

Now to our dinner. My aunt usually throws a huge dinner but we usually pass, because I always volunteer to work on Thanksgiving(it helps when wanting off on Christmas Day). So we head to the in-laws after I get home.

Meal includes:
Ham (FIL DESPISES TURKEY)
Mashed Potatoes
Corn
Green Beans
Gravy
and the usual deserts

It is only the four of us and my in-laws, so they dont really go all out.

Then on Thanksgiving night, we spent time with my family.

All the leftovers from my aunts house (including great grandmothers AWESOME stuffing)

Followed up by some football watching and some poker being played by the men.

I dont really know what the women do, except for the rounds of shots the bring us occasionally because we are always down in the cellar.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY TO ALL!

You want some extended family to join you this year? We can be there in under an hour!

Now to our dinner. My aunt usually throws a huge dinner but we usually pass, because I always volunteer to work on Thanksgiving(it helps when wanting off on Christmas Day). So we head to the in-laws after I get home.

Meal includes:
Ham (FIL DESPISES TURKEY)
Mashed Potatoes
Corn
Green Beans
Gravy
and the usual deserts

It is only the four of us and my in-laws, so they dont really go all out.

Then on Thanksgiving night, we spent time with my family.

All the leftovers from my aunts house (including great grandmothers AWESOME stuffing)

Followed up by some football watching and some poker being played by the men.

I dont really know what the women do, except for the rounds of shots the bring us occasionally because we are always down in the cellar.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY TO ALL!

We went crazy one year and did BBQ Ribs instead of turkey.

We will be making the 2.5 hour drive to my in-laws for Thanksgiving. I will be smoking a turkey just before we leave that will be FTC (foil, towel, cooler) for the trip - to keep it above 140 F. It will be my family, my in-laws, and DW's grandmother (Nana).

Here is all we will be having:

- Smoked Turkey
- Cornbread Dressing (I prefer bread stuffing/dressing, but then I would have to make it.)
- Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Mashed 'Taters
- Hot Hominy (spiced up with jalapenos and cheese)
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- Sweet Potato Casserole (with candied pecans and marshmallows on top)
- Green Bean Casserole
- Nana's Homemade Yeast Rolls (to die for!)
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pecan Pie
- Nana's Homemade Coconut Cake

It is a ridiculous amount of food for the 7 of us, but we usually get 3 meals out of it. :laughing:

I brined the turkey last night and now it is air-drying in the fridge until I start smoking it. I use a combination of Hickory and Applewood for the smoke - about 4 hours worth. Then I finish it off in a 350 degree oven. As soon as it is done, I give it a good foil wrap and wrap in towels. Then it goes into the cooler and we start driving to the in-laws' place. they do Thanksgiving lunch around noonish, so that means I will be starting the smoker around 2am, and then put the bird in around 3am. We should be ready to drive out around 8am. Lots of pre-planning to time it right, but it is so worth it! :thumbsup2

We will be making the 2.5 hour drive to my in-laws for Thanksgiving. I will be smoking a turkey just before we leave that will be FTC (foil, towel, cooler) for the trip - to keep it above 140 F. It will be my family, my in-laws, and DW's grandmother (Nana).

Here is all we will be having:

- Smoked Turkey
- Cornbread Dressing (I prefer bread stuffing/dressing, but then I would have to make it.)
- Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Mashed 'Taters
- Hot Hominy (spiced up with jalapenos and cheese)
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- Sweet Potato Casserole (with candied pecans and marshmallows on top)
- Green Bean Casserole
- Nana's Homemade Yeast Rolls (to die for!)
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pecan Pie
- Nana's Homemade Coconut Cake

It is a ridiculous amount of food for the 7 of us, but we usually get 3 meals out of it. :laughing:

I brined the turkey last night and now it is air-drying in the fridge until I start smoking it. I use a combination of Hickory and Applewood for the smoke - about 4 hours worth. Then I finish it off in a 350 degree oven. As soon as it is done, I give it a good foil wrap and wrap in towels. Then it goes into the cooler and we start driving to the in-laws' place. they do Thanksgiving lunch around noonish, so that means I will be starting the smoker around 2am, and then put the bird in around 3am. We should be ready to drive out around 8am. Lots of pre-planning to time it right, but it is so worth it! :thumbsup2

Wanna bet some leftovers on our fantasy game? HAHA Sounds tasty! :worship:

Hi guys,
We (DW Caro, both DD's, and myself) will be having:
Turkey Breast with stuffing
Scalloped Corn
Mashed Potatoes with gravy
Rolls
Pecan Pie

Younger DD is celiac so everything is gluten free. We did the whole shindig last year and ended up throwing out a lot of leftovers since there is just the four of us. We are using a different GF stuffing this year, but I add linguica to it for flavor so I hope it turn out okay. I posted a picture of the pie on FB earlier today.

No Black Friday shopping for us, the girls' scout troop marches in the Seattle Macy Parade on Friday morning. I will post a youtube video sometime Friday afternoon.

Hi guys,
We (DW Caro, both DD's, and myself) will be having:
Turkey Breast with stuffing
Scalloped Corn
Mashed Potatoes with gravy
Rolls
Pecan Pie

Younger DD is celiac so everything is gluten free. We did the whole shindig last year and ended up throwing out a lot of leftovers since there is just the four of us. We are using a different GF stuffing this year, but I add linguica to it for flavor so I hope it turn out okay. I posted a picture of the pie on FB earlier today.

No Black Friday shopping for us, the girls' scout troop marches in the Seattle Macy Parade on Friday morning. I will post a youtube video sometime Friday afternoon.

Can't wait o see it :thumbsup2

Cranberries are done and the risotto is on the stove. The turkey is brined and needs to be rinsed, seasoned and stuffed. Desert is pecan pie which was hand made by my cousin Publix. My friend flies in at 2:30 so we will eat about 6:00. My mouth is already drooling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter