A clear answer on soft sided coolers (Dave??)

jdm

DIS Veteran
After reading the thread below, I still don't get if they allow soft sided coolers or not. A long time ago I read some posts saying they absolutely did and also where to buy them. I ran out to Costco and bought one. It is softsided, holds 36 cans and is on wheels with a pull bar... (like a suitcase kinda). Anyway, we planned to fill it with pop and beer and wheel it on as a carryon. I did receive my documents which said no coolers, but dismissed it as meaning the hard/syrofoam types. Now, I don't know if we can use it or not.....

Has anyone used a softsided cooler and brought it on as a carryon? And, if they don't allow it, what would they make you do with it?

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,
Jenn

Don't know the real answer, but.....put your cans in a regular suitcase if you are worried, and stuff you wheeled cooler with socks and underware. Who is going to turn away a carry-on of unmentionables at the pier??

When I booked my cruise, the person I talked to said you can take any type of cooler onto the ship that you wanted, filled with sodas, alcohol & soft drinks. I then called back last week and got a different person who said that due to Sept 11 that you could not bring ANY type of cooler on board for because their security was so tight. Hope that helps!!!!

We have taken ourw on the hsip for the last 3 years and will do so again in May. They do not want the hardside coolers but do not have a problem with softside as long as you do NOT have ice in it. They do not want leaks. We filled ours with 2 liters and liquor. I use it to put souvvies in when we leave the boat- it is like an additional piece of luggage IMO.

so I wouldn't have to deal with bubble wrap, taping, possible exploding and all that. I wanted to do what Julie10 did and empty it on board and have it for extra soveniers. Have you used yours after Sept. 11th (CallahanJulie 10)?

Thanks for your replies.
Jenn

Jenn:

We just got back from our Magic cruise, and we actually did both. I checked in a case of beer and a case of soda. The porter just loaded it along with our luggage, and we didn't see it again until we got to our room. Then we also brought a soft side cooler as a carry-on, which was filled with juice boxes, chocolate milk, a few sodas, and bottle of booze. Wasn't a problem whatsoever. I noticed others doing the same as well.

We actually went September 1 and got off on September 8:(
I don't think I would feel comfortable checking my drinks- I prefer the softside. It is on wheels with a retractable handle- it folds flat for storage and I do not have to worry about anything getting broken, etc. IMO it is the only way to go!:cool:

When we went in December 2001 I took along a rolling luggage cart, the kind that folds up. We arrived the day before and we went to the Winn Dixie near the Hampton Inn and bought a box of sodas and a box of wine. I had taken along a roll of packing tape. I taped the beverages onto the luggage cart. The porters wouldn't take the assemblage but said it would be fine if I rolled it around myself. I attached my carry on and it worked well.

Originally posted by Melisa1
When I booked my cruise, the person I talked to said you can take any type of cooler onto the ship that you wanted, filled with sodas, alcohol & soft drinks. I then called back last week and got a different person who said that due to Sept 11 that you could not bring ANY type of cooler on board for because their security was so tight. Hope that helps!!!!

Ok, maybe I'm just too curious.... or maybe it's my lack of terrorist techinque training.... but why, exactly, would Disney think that a cooler would be more of a security risk than an average peice of luggage? Or are they just using this as a cop out?

Julie

Okay, let's say they decide not to let me carry-on my soft sided cooler full of sodas and juice boxes (no ice), what will they have me do with it? Leave it at the pier? Just curious.:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter