• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A brunette Cinderella on Broadway!

geenerbell

Am I caught up with Robo yet?
I couldn't believe my eyes. The debut of Cinderella on Broadway during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. She's a brunette! What?:upsidedow

I couldn't believe my eyes. The debut of Cinderella on Broadway during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. She's a brunette! What?:upsidedow

It is based on the Rodgers & Hammerstein Cinderella circa 1965 starring Lesley Ann Warren (a brunette) as Cinderella.

I grew up being exposed to a lot of Broadway musicals and this is a great version of the Cinderella story. This past summer, my girls saw that version too and LOVED it and loved seeing it in the parade today. :goodvibes

It is based on the Rodgers & Hammerstein Cinderella circa 1965 starring Lesley Ann Warren (a brunette) as Cinderella.

You are correct about the Leslie Ann Warren version,
but the Rodgers & Hammerstein "Cinderella" was actually first written
especially for Julie Andrews in a TV presentation in 1957.

At that time, it became the single most-watched TV show in history!

(It's interesting to note that both Julie Andrews and Lesley Ann Warren also have a major connection to Disney musical films.)

Julie Andrews was presented at a darker-haired Cinderella, as well.

Cinerella-JulieA.jpg

I grew up being exposed to a lot of Broadway musicals and this is a great version of the Cinderella story. This past summer, my girls saw that version too and LOVED it and loved seeing it in the parade today. :goodvibes

I LOVE that movie. It was on at Thanksgiving time every year when I was a kid.

That explains it! We were watching and thought what the sam heck is with the brunette?

Don't kill me for this, but I originally thought the Fairy Godmother was one of the ugly stepsisters... especially with that hideous dress. :upsidedow

But I do admit it's nice seeing something different.

We saw a traveling company of the Rogers and Hammerstein Cinderella last year with a brunette Cinderella. It did take some getting used to. But I grew up with the Leslie Ann Warren version so got over it quickly. I used to think the blonde Disney version was an imposter!

acebatonfan said:
Don't kill me for this, but I originally thought the Fairy Godmother was one of the ugly stepsisters... especially with that hideous dress. :upsidedow

We thought it was an ugly step-sister, too! Oops!

And just to make things more confusing, Disney produced a TV version of Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella starring Brandy. ;)

siskaren said:
And just to make things more confusing, Disney produced a TV version of Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella starring Brandy. ;)

And Whitney Houston as the fairy godmother! DD11 has always loved that version and was thrilled to hear that song this morning!

Oh my! I was watching from the kitchen and I also thought that was a stepsister!

I actually liked the Fairy Godmother's dress! Yes, it was definitely different, but that's what makes it interesting!

And we do still love the Brandy version of Cinderella... :)

You are correct about the Leslie Ann Warren version,
but the Rodgers & Hammerstein "Cinderella" was actually first written
especially for Julie Andrews in a TV presentation in 1957.

At that time, it became the single most-watched TV show in history!

(It's interesting to note that both Julie Andrews and Lesley Ann Warren also have a major connection to Disney musical films.)

Julie Andrews was presented at a darker-haired Cinderella, as well.

Cinerella-JulieA.jpg
It also has the distinction of being the first musical comedy written specifically for television, rather than being an adaptation of a play or movie.

ETA: Julie's Prince was played by Jon Cypher, later of Hill Street Blues fame.

It also has the distinction of being the first musical comedy written specifically for television, rather than being an adaptation of a play or movie.

ETA: Julie's Prince was played by Jon Cypher, later of Hill Street Blues fame.

That's right.
That part was his first ever TV role.
Here is a photo of Jon Cypher as the Prince in R&H's Cinderella.

JonCypher-Prince2.jpg

I got to see Jon Cypher play Captain Hook, live on stage, when he toured with a production of Peter Pan.
This was even after he was famous for playing nutty Police Commissioner Daniels on Hill St. Blues.

Cypher was really great as Capt. Hook (and the father of the Darling family,) too!

JohnCypher-FletcherDaniels.jpg

John Cypher as Fletcher Daniels on Hill St. Blues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter