7DMT Stategy if you think you may not fit

Woodmnky

DIS Veteran
I think that there is a high likelihood that I will not fit on the 7DMT. That being said I would really like to try. My original though was that I would try to sit with my 3yo DS with DH in the row in front of or behind us. If I didn't fit I was going to have DH take my seat and ride with DS while I did the walk of shame. However, now I am wondering if DH will be locked into his seat? Do I need to have him wait until I am in and secure before he pulls his lapbar down?

If DH is stuck, will I be able to get DS out?

I was thinking that I would sit with DS because he is obviously a lot smaller than an adult and maybe that would help.

Any advice is appreciated.

Is it one big lap bar or individual?
Either way the 3 year old won't be able to be alone if you can't ride. If dh is already locked in they will have to let him out to switch.

This scenario played out for my family in Anaheim a few years back and resulted in DH being thoroughly humiliated by our fellow guests who were apparently in a tremendous hurry to get on what was then called mulholland madness. CMs were great. The guests should all be ashamed of themselves still.
I wouldn't wish that moment on anyone, so if you are going to try this make sure DH hasn't locked in yet so he's mobile enough to just hop into your seat. I was locked in and then my clothing got stuck while trying to jump out to move to DS, which made it even slower.
You can also enlist the help, or at least attention ahead of time, of a cm so if a quick change has to be done they are aware of he possibility and can do it fast.

Well, the first thing I would suggest is - if you're a party of three - have DH sit with DS. I don't think they'll put a stranger in with you - there's no single rider line there AFAIK. That will solve the issue of DH being locked in when you realize you can't take DS and will also give you more room.
As far as the walk of shame, if it does come to that, I think far fewer people will notice than you think...

From what I have seen of the cars, I don't think who is next to you matters that much as far as fitting. The seats are individualized, with individual lap restraints and individual molded seats.

I would put your DS with your DH if you are concerned just to be on the safe side.

From what I have seen of the cars, I don't think who is next to you matters that much as far as fitting. The seats are individualized, with individual lap restraints and individual molded seats.

I would put your DS with your DH if you are concerned just to be on the safe side.

The individualized seats only contain the "seat" of the rider. Having a smaller person next to you lessens the chance of your upper body girth infringing on the person next to you.

P.S. Wow! You have the same amount of posts in 16 months than I have in 8 years.

Not sure the reason you are concerned about fitting (height or weight) but from what I have heard it seems to be more people with height issues having problems. I will tell you I rode it last month and fit in fine. I am 5' 10" and 305lbs. Was it the most comfortable ride? No but I fit in OK.

I've got a concern about fitting for my DH. Is there a test car out front that he can try out before attempting to squish into the ride?

The two main problems people of size (tall and/or round) seem to be having is:

1. Tall folks have little leg room to work with, length-wise
2. Heavier folks have little leg room to work with, width-wise

This picture was posted on Twitter, and the measurement of the width between the U bar's side bars has been added to it:

0cVSxP5.jpg

To combat #2, one suggestion I've read tells riders not to pull down the bar all the way. As long as the bar make a single audible click, then you're good to go.

Obviously there's nothing tall people can do about long legs, so that is what it is.

Currently there is no test vehicle near the ride for people to try out before heading into the attraction. As far as I know, there's been no hard evidence Disney plans on adding one.

There is no single rider but they will put a stranger with you. They divide the parties into odds and evens and fill in from there. We are often a party of three and ever time we have a stranger with us.

There is no single rider but they will put a stranger with you. They divide the parties into odds and evens and fill in from there. We are often a party of three and ever time we have a stranger with us.

I agree with this. We rode about 5 times during our trip in June with a party of 3. Every time they paired my DH with a stranger. Don't count on riding alone. The CMs are filling every seat.

stky6 said:
For my wife she like many others has thyroid issues which prevent her from being able to control her weight...she has scar tissue from a fusion in her back that has grown over some nerves that cause her constant pain in her legs which makes walking, bike riding and other form of exercise too painful to endure...but I guess all you see is someone over weight and you wouldn't think there could be other reasons for their conditions.

Off topic, but wanted to say I sympathize with you. I have battled thyroid problems for years. I am finally feeling better after having some additional tests run and finding out I was totally miss medicated. PM me if you'd like more info.

Thanks,

Her thyroid was hyper, they destroyed it with radiation a few months ago, her levels are starting to come down now, they are just waiting to find that sweet spot for her so they can start figuring out dosage on the meds.

We found the issue with seating more for height. My DH is 190 lbs but 6'1", my DS is 170 lbs, but 6'4" (yes, 6'4" and growing). Both got off the ride saying it was very uncomfortable for them because of the lack of leg space, my DS had his knees up to his chest but the crossbar was in the way making it worse. I am 5'8" and 240 lbs, but was more uncomfortable with the knee space than the width also. Just no leg space.

We all agreed it wasn't an exciting roller coaster ride and because it was uncomfortable for all of us, it was a 'one and done' deal.

Has 7DMT been a major issue for larger folks? I was really hoping DH could ride, but he is 6' and 380. Any thoughts?

OP, I agree with the suggestion to try to pull aside a CM before you get to the loading stage. That way he/she can get a heads up that you are concerned, thereby they can get a plan on who DS should ride with and hopefully not trying to cram a stranger in with you - all in an effort to minimize strategizing at the last moment and/or causing delays. They will be very accomodating, I'm sure, and you will feel better with a plan. :thumbsup2 HOpe it works out great and you enjoy! I can't wait to try it myself!

Baptist, thank you for your unsolicited weight loss advice. I'm sure we will all keep it in mind.

OP, I agree with the suggestion to try to pull aside a CM before you get to the loading stage. That way he/she can get a heads up that you are concerned, thereby they can get a plan on who DS should ride with and hopefully not trying to cram a stranger in with you - all in an effort to minimize strategizing at the last moment and/or causing delays. They will be very accomodating, I'm sure, and you will feel better with a plan. :thumbsup2 HOpe it works out great and you enjoy! I can't wait to try it myself!

Baptist, thank you for your unsolicited weight loss advice. I'm sure we will all keep it in mind.
Thank you. That is a good suggestion that I hadn't thought of. I don't want to discount the ride and skip it out of fear, but I would like to have a plan. I haven't had issues on any other WDW ride and I am hoping this isn't the first.

Thank you for this post! I hadn't thought about the logistics of what happens if one person doesn't fit. We would have likely had each adult with one of the younger kids and the eldest child by himself. However, this post made me realize that makes things more complicated if my tall husband doesn't fit. So, we'll do me and the 5 year old and then the 8 and 11 year old together so no seat swapping is needed if my husband doesn't fit.

I really wish there was a way of knowing the possibility of fitting. I see that picture has the width of legs measurement shown, how about the lap length?

You should try to ride with your child, that way you know the size of the person you are riding with since they are filling the cars when possible. Also, make sure you don't have a lot of stuff to carry on with you. There is the little pouch to store your stuff in, but there is no room under your legs or between seats to store stuff AT ALL. You may get lucky and be able to put it under you child's feet, but there are some CMs who are strict and make sure the kids' legs are bent at a 90 degree angle to ride. As mentioned, the issue is more with legs than upper body size. Though the seats are molded and can be tight I find there is more of an issue with my legs than anything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter