• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

70th birthday dinner suggestions

memakwed

DIS Veteran
My dad has let us know for his 70th bday he'd like to go to Disney. He is very go with the flow and doesn't care where we are as along as we're together. Now that I have a teenager I am open to going to nicer restaurants at Disney. What would you suggest for a nicer bday dinner? My dad would not want me to splurge on Victoria and Albert's for him but I definitely would like a nicer more adult restaurant. Any suggestions? and what do you get there?

Shula's, Bluezoo, CG and Yachtsman's are my dad's favorites, in that order, maybe could change BZ and CG. The man loves Shula's, Ruth Chris, and Morton's. Doesn't understand why WDW doesn't have one and calls Yachtsman "not Disney Ruth Chris." He has no idea what anyplace is called, just what he likes, he's almost your dad's age.

When my dad celebrated his 70th at WDW, he and my mom went to Chefs de France (or, as it is known in our family, "Downstairs France"). I think the duck is basically his favorite dish on property.

Yachtsman or Le Cellier sound like good options as the PP suggested. My profile picture is of my Grandmother's 80th birthday at Magic Kingdom. We brought her to Be Our Guest. The steak there is excellent as well. They treated her like a queen all day. We got her a sash, ears, button, balloon, everything to draw attention to her, lol. She even rode a roller coaster! :scared1: (Barnstormer to be honest, but hey to her it's still a thrill ride!) :faint: We had a great time!

Happy Birthday to your Dad!!! I hope he has many more and celebrates his 80th at Disney too!!!
party:

I would also recommend Yachtsman's Steakhouse or California Grille. Le Cellier is good, but IMO not worth the price - it also feels more crowded as the tables are packed together.

How special that your dad wants to go to Disney with you and that he values family togetherness more than the choice of restaurant. :goodvibes I like Artist Point among the fine dining restaurants. But you could also consider whatever type of food your dad prefers, and I have no idea what that would be. I've not yet been to Tiffin's, and I've heard good things about it, so if he likes more exotic food, that might be an idea.

Yatchman's is a great steakhouse that isn't too stuffy.We have had very good to outstanding service and the food has always been wonderful. When we have gone, there have always been families with several generations at the table. LeCellier is very cramped in comparison (unless they have remodeled in the last few years).

Shula's, Bluezoo, CG and Yachtsman's are my dad's favorites, in that order, maybe could change BZ and CG. The man loves Shula's, Ruth Chris, and Morton's. Doesn't understand why WDW doesn't have one and calls Yachtsman "not Disney Ruth Chris." He has no idea what anyplace is called, just what he likes, he's almost your dad's age.
Well yachtman sounds like a possibility if it compares to ruth chris and would be a good location for us. Thanks for the info.

When my dad celebrated his 70th at WDW, he and my mom went to Chefs de France (or, as it is known in our family, "Downstairs France"). I think the duck is basically his favorite dish on property.
My dad likes Chefs of France a lot and we go every trip. They like to go there for their anniversary dinners in the past. Will hit it regarless of his bday! Thanks for telling me about the duck.

Yachtsman or Le Cellier sound like good options as the PP suggested. My profile picture is of my Grandmother's 80th birthday at Magic Kingdom. We brought her to Be Our Guest. The steak there is excellent as well. They treated her like a queen all day. We got her a sash, ears, button, balloon, everything to draw attention to her, lol. She even rode a roller coaster! :scared1: (Barnstormer to be honest, but hey to her it's still a thrill ride!) :faint: We had a great time!

Happy Birthday to your Dad!!! I hope he has many more and celebrates his 80th at Disney too!!!
party:
thanks for the bday wishes I hope he has many more to celebrate too because he is the best dad anyone could ever wish for. He has always put me first no matter what came along in life. While my mom likes le cellier he has never said he has to go back. He does like BOG and the steak but suggesting Yachtman might be fun for him being something new and special to make his bday stand out.

How special that your dad wants to go to Disney with you and that he values family togetherness more than the choice of restaurant. :goodvibes I like Artist Point among the fine dining restaurants. But you could also consider whatever type of food your dad prefers, and I have no idea what that would be. I've not yet been to Tiffin's, and I've heard good things about it, so if he likes more exotic food, that might be an idea.
Artist point could be a good option and good location too.

Well yachtman sounds like a possibility if it compares to ruth chris and would be a good location for us. Thanks for the info.

FWIW, he far prefers Shula's at the Dolphin and Shula's in any given city with a choice between them being Shula's, Ruth Chris, and Morton's. Yachtsman's will get you a good meal, but be warned, it is louder and lots more kids than Shula's. Its a solid choice though, that I've never regretted.

At Citricos, Artist Point and Yachtman what do you guys enjoy eating?

I have bad luck with Citricos. I've never had a good meal there, and I know it's not the restaurant. I'm not even suggesting not to go there, its one of those situations where I know either my party is having an off night, or the restaurant is, or, most likely, some combination of the 2.

AP - haven't been in years, the setting of the WL is just not my thing, so every time I go, I wish I'd gone somewhere else, and there are TONS of other places at WDW to fit into the trip! They do have that very good mushroom soup though that's been on the menu for ages.

Yachtsman - I've never had a bad dish. The garlic they serve with the bread service is perfect. I get the filet because its the smallest steak, and STILL 8 oz. Also, no one complains about a well executed filet. They have great spinach. Because I find WDW portions, and well, portions in general, insanely huge, I often get an app or 2 for dinner. I've had the scallops, tuna carpaccio, and escargot as well some of the salads. I don't remember the salads, but I remember the escargot and scallops being great. While I know the last tuna app I had was good, FF and BZ are better. I eat that often, everywhere though, but Yachtsman's is still solid.

I have bad luck with Citricos. I've never had a good meal there, and I know it's not the restaurant. I'm not even suggesting not to go there, its one of those situations where I know either my party is having an off night, or the restaurant is, or, most likely, some combination of the 2.

AP - haven't been in years, the setting of the WL is just not my thing, so every time I go, I wish I'd gone somewhere else, and there are TONS of other places at WDW to fit into the trip! They do have that very good mushroom soup though that's been on the menu for ages.

Yachtsman - I've never had a bad dish. The garlic they serve with the bread service is perfect. I get the filet because its the smallest steak, and STILL 8 oz. Also, no one complains about a well executed filet. They have great spinach. Because I find WDW portions, and well, portions in general, insanely huge, I often get an app or 2 for dinner. I've had the scallops, tuna carpaccio, and escargot as well some of the salads. I don't remember the salads, but I remember the escargot and scallops being great. While I know the last tuna app I had was good, FF and BZ are better. I eat that often, everywhere though, but Yachtsman's is still solid.[/QUO

At Citricos, Artist Point and Yachtman what do you guys enjoy eating?

Haven't been to artist point yet, but my answer for the other two is steak. I went to citricos for the first time last trip and really enjoyed it. I liked being adjacent to v&a, which is probably too fancy for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter