6 days til trip & all 3 kiddos have stomach flu!

My kids won't touch Pedialite. It was gatorade or nothing. Everytime my DD tried it, she gaged again. My DS flat out refused after trying it once. You would think they would do something about the flavor if so many kids refuse it. I tried everything - making it into ice cube pops, cold, warm - nothing worked. I gave up and let them have gatorade.

I've always wondered the same thing- how can they sell something that most kids refuse to drink? They sucker off all the parents who don't know yet?

I feel for you! We were sick for the entire month of March...we had no Easter. We started off with colds & fevers for the first 2 weeks then the for the rest of the month a stomach flu went thru each person in the house, 6 people to be exact. For the most part it lasted a full week...vomitting and diarrhea. The younger ones were hit a lot harder than the older kids. We had kids vomitting simultaneously at 3 am for a week! I don't know why but 3 was our magic number. My husband would run one way to help someone and I the other. It was actually quite comedic! We knew we had to go to bed when the kids did because we'd be up at midnight and at 3. It was insane. Anyway, it did take a full week for the little ones though (ages 3 and 10 months). They lost a lot of weight, my 3 yr old lost 5 lbs! His pants and underwear wouldn't stay up for a week after.
The dr. did say clear fluids. Diluted Gatorade, popsicles, water, chicken broth, cool aid, Pedialite (liquid & pops), no solids until things were under control and then it was a bland diet for the next 2 weeks (bananas, toast, dry cereal, crackers, chicken, etc) because the 3 yr old started eating normal 5 days after and the diarrhea came right back. There really isn't anything the dr. can do for something like this. Their only concern is dehydration. If there are no tears or no pee then the child needs fluids immediately. Good luck in your battle. We were there! I'm so sorry.

The dr here recommends a product called intestinex or live acidolophis (sp)
They make it for kids and is in the cool section at the healthfood store. Some is made for babies, some children and other products for adults. This is for daily use to help them defend against these bugs and for after the vomiting stops and they can hold down liquid. You just put the powder in liquid.

Feel better. We leave in two weeks and ds has a cold.

I hope you all feel better soon - it would kill me to have to reschedule a disney trip! Get thoes kids better!!!! (and yourself!)

UGH! All three of my kiddos have stomach flu. :sick: We leave in six days! I am hoping this will quickly run it's course but how long do you wait before you decide "Okay, we need to reschedule"??????:sad2:
I would have them fast for a couple of days and chance are they will feel well enough to go normally.

The biggest worry is dining plans. For most gastrointestional problems, fasting is the best therapy and meal credits will go to waste.

Health hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/health.htm

Plenty of plain water is still in order. If you mix some Pedialite with the Gatorade, would the kids not notice?

I'm so sorry to hear that, the same happen to my DH, DS10 and DD15 about 8 days before our trip, like everyone else said good thing is it usually only lasts about a day or two so I don't think you will have to cancel the trip but I can't stress making sure they have plenty of liquads because my DS10 would not drink anything and we wound up in the em room he was so dehydrated luckly once they got some fluids in him he was just fine and we had a wonderful trip but just like you I had visions of having to cancel the trip too. I also agree when the kids were younger they like those pediasure pops much better then just the liquad

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter