6-5-4-3-2-1...SAILAWAY!!! NY-CANADA June 17, 2012 /The End. Complete. Done!

...and THIS is why I will pay extra for Disney!!!

Exactly!
I was so "flustered" that I was barely able to take the picture! I just started snapping away! It all happened really fast, and was over really fast, and then DS and I stared at each other for a sec and just smiled:goodvibes!

Boat sweet Boat!

We were back at about 1:15. Off went two teens to the Vibe, and off went DS13 and I to deck 9!! Pluto burgers and fries for lunch, then a soak in the hot tub.

followedbyasoak.jpg

Life. Is. Good! The movie was Cars, I think. Well, we were soon joined by the teens, as the Vibe wouldn't do an activity for only 2 "kids":sad2:!! They said it was a security thing, they could only have kids in the club if there were 3 or more. Never heard that before. I even called Guest Services :mic:who confirmed it. That was a bit of a bummer:sad:. But we moved on:wave2:. Burgers helped:cheer2:!

4pm, and though I'd considered going back out to browse the shopping stalls in the terminal, instead I heeded the call of the Quiet Cove! I enjoyed some adult Jacuzzi time, chatting with two couples in the tub. Then I hit the Spa – well, the showers in the Spa! Lovely showers with spouting water, conditioner and shampoo and body wash in the shower, body lotion, toner and cleanser in the changing room, even cotton balls, Q-tips and disposable razors! And of course very nice robes and big towels! Oh, and a scale. I didn't use that. And a sauna. Didn't do that either. Lemon water and special tea bags.

DSC_0715.jpg

How to feel pampered without any special arrangement.

Back in the cabin, I found one sleeping DH and four awake teens. So we (minus sleeping beauty) went for a good explore. We walked from aft all the way forward, hung out at Topsiders eating more ice cream, and watched the sailaway from Halifax.

PicturePerfect.jpg

LookingdownatGabonDeck7aswesailawayfromHalifax.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

This CM was having his picture taken against the backdrop of Eastern Canada - wonder if he was able to get off the boat at all?

Ourpilotboatworkdone.jpg

DepartingHalifax.jpg

By Halifax! It was nice!

Dinner was at Lumiere's, and tonight was Herman Family Dress Up Night. Due to the slight shift in scheduling, DD15 and I didn't wear our really dressy dresses, but the rest wore what they would have. In other words, DD15 and I matched them better this way!

HermansandCaptainMickey.jpg

Did I mention that Israelis don't really "do" dress up? We were happy to have neat and matching!

After dinner we did a buying frenzy at the store. A $479 OBC helped! We never even used it up! (The leftover was returned to our Disney Rewards card!). Then "Villains Tonight" for 4, movie up on Deck 9 for me and DD15. We wrapped up in fleece blankets provided by the CMs, drank hot cocoa and coffee, and watched Lady and the Tramp. It was one of my personal Magical Moments.

Boat swaying, but no problems, no motion sickness at all. And we slept, quite well… Until ……..

A great wrap up of the day.

Thanks:goodvibes! It was a really fun day! The combo of port time and ship time was really perfect.

I forgot to say that as we sailed away, we saw two real lighthouses - the very scenic one I took the picture of , and about 10 minutes later a bigger less pretty but quite important looking one, on the other side of the boat. That was fun, too!

Thanks:goodvibes! It was a really fun day! The combo of port time and ship time was really perfect.

I forgot to say that as we sailed away, we saw two real lighthouses - the very scenic one I took the picture of , and about 10 minutes later a bigger less pretty but quite important looking one, on the other side of the boat. That was fun, too!

That would be so cool to see too. I would probably take about 15 of each. :lmao:

That would be so cool to see too. I would probably take about 15 of each. :lmao:

I did take at least 15 of each lighthouse:rotfl2:!!! Oh the wonder of digital photography! I only posted my favorite of the sailaway one (I had a series, approaching, passing, after looking back ... very exciting:rolleyes:). That little one on the island (George's Island) is right where the boat docks - geez you could photograph that for 12 straight hours!

"israelis don't do dress up" - we had this discussion on the RCCL board over at cruise critic....explaining why DSIL doesn't even own a suit....
in any case, they'll be in alaska - who dresses up in alaska? certainly not alaskans!!

the only long pants DSIL owns are jeans - so that's what he's going to be in on formal night on the ship...jeans with a nice shirt and his fleece lined rain parka (purchased especially for alaska)...people will just have to deal with it...
and DD will probably be dressed similarly.....it's too cold to wear a dress!!! :eek:

they're already in alaska (not on the cruise yet, inland alaska)...they've been wearing long underwear under their clothes and their fleece lined parkas, and wool socks....and feel perfectly fine...meanwhile, the locals are in shorts and tshirts!!! funny!
kind of the reverse of israel....in the winter, you can always pick out the tourists...they're in shorts and tshirts while israelis are in snow suits...

Yes! And it's not a matter of "respect", it's a cultural thing! They consider their clean jeans to be quite "respectable". That's why I didn't fight it. As long as they felt dressed nicely, that was the goal.
My DH rarely wears shorts, and even in the summer puts a long sleeved button up shirt over his t-shirt - protects from the sun:rolleyes:! WHATEVER. If we ever go to Alaska he'll definitely need long johns!
Happy weekend, all:flower3:!

"israelis don't do dress up" - we had this discussion on the RCCL board over at cruise critic....explaining why DSIL doesn't even own a suit....
in any case, they'll be in alaska - who dresses up in alaska? certainly not alaskans!!

Hey now! We Alaskans dress up! Not all the time, but we do. :-D :rotfl:

And to be quite honost, there are some pretty snobby Alaskans. :sad2: I used to work at Nordstroms in the 5th Ave mall and they could get CRAZY!

Still enjoying your TR! :-D

Mini-Sidebar: MAGICAL MOMENT!

Because this was such a great moment, it deserves it's own post!
We were on Deck 4 after breakfast on Halifax morning. It was still hazy out and we were admiring the harbor and the little island and lighthouse. DS15 usually has a need to do acrobatic things when he sees neat places.

First, he did this:

DSC_0160.jpg

Then this:

HandstandinHalifax.jpg

Then I saw this!

DSC_0163.jpg

Then this!!!

MAGICALMOMENT2.jpg

Finally, this!
MAGICALMOMENT1.jpg

MAGICAL MOMENT. PURE. And FOREVERpixiedust:!

That is SO AWESOME. Love it!

The Art of Entertaining was held once on each sea day in the Studio Sea lounge. It was free and no registration required. They have print outs of the recipes and if you arrive late you will definitely have place (it's a big studio) but they may run out of recipe pages. I did the "main course" (salmon) and on the second sea day, the "dessert" (apple strudel). They also talk about making dessert for a whole ship, how much they need, who does what jobs, what kind of salmon, etc. It's chatty and fun!

Thanks for this info. I am planning on doing the first one also. I think the one on the second sea day is when we have our Palo Brunch scheduled.

Linda

Yes! And it's not a matter of "respect", it's a cultural thing! They consider their clean jeans to be quite "respectable". That's why I didn't fight it. As long as they felt dressed nicely, that was the goal.
My DH rarely wears shorts, and even in the summer puts a long sleeved button up shirt over his t-shirt - protects from the sun:rolleyes:! WHATEVER. If we ever go to Alaska he'll definitely need long johns!
Happy weekend, all:flower3:!

they're on the ship now - i just checked the weather for every port they visit this week....the warmest temperature all week will be 59 degrees :eek: :eek:

and on the ship it's even colder with the wind!!

so really....formal night in that weather????????????
are they insane???????????????????

i can't remember where you live....jerusalem? modiin?

we're in raanana - 59 degrees is colder than it ever gets during the day...59 degrees? dead dead dead dead dead of winter....gloves and ear muffs weather at the very least....certainly not formal attire weather...

the funny thing is, on the super snooty cruise line, the dress code is completely relaxed in alaska, for the reasons already stated...it's just too darn cold!!!! but on RCCL - a mass market cruise line, the forum goes all up in arms if someone questions the need for a formal night in frigid alaska...

anyway, DD and DSIL will wear whatever they wear...i also noticed that there's an 80% chance of rain every single day they're on the cruise...so temps in the 50's with rain.....sounds like formal weather to me indeed :eek:

i'm enjoying your trip report!! halifax looks interesting....
the surgeon who replaced my elbow a few weeks ago is originally from halifax! he also lives in raanana...a bit of a change from halifax to raanana :)

We're in Modi'in; have never met anyone from Halifax here!!!! Toronto, yes, Halifax, nope!
59 and Rainy - yikes! Hope they see some beautiful sights, though! My friend lives in Anchorage and she sent me a picture of her and her family in shorts walking over rocks at a "beach" - so maybe they'll get that weather too!

We're in Modi'in; have never met anyone from Halifax here!!!! Toronto, yes, Halifax, nope!
59 and Rainy - yikes! Hope they see some beautiful sights, though! My friend lives in Anchorage and she sent me a picture of her and her family in shorts walking over rocks at a "beach" - so maybe they'll get that weather too!

the area where the cruises are has different weather from inland alaska (where anchorage is)..
the cruise area (ketchikan, skagway, juneau) is inundated with rain all summer (increasing as the summer progresses)...

DD had mostly good weather for their week in inland alaska, but their cruise week looks typically rainy for that area....no matter...they have all the appropriate rain gear....rain pants to go over their regular pants....fleece lined rain jacket...long underwear....wool socks.....waterproof hiking boots......they will be fine...

i have never met anyone here from halifax either!!!!! when i heard he's canadian, i assumed toronto or montreal....in a million years, i wouldn't have guessed halifax!!!

actually DH and i were just laughing about it - DD and DSIL spent so much money buying rain and cold weather clothing that it's lucky it's so cold and rainy - it wasn't a waste of money!! :lmao:

Day 4: Saint John

Again, those THRUSTERS or whatever they are! It was about 6 am, and we were docking in Saint John! Uy. Anyway, I turned over and slept until 8:30. We were planning to have a leisurely morning, with no specific plan until around noon. DH had been up with the dawn and enjoyed seeing the docking process. He said it was totally fogged in and he didn't even see land until they were right up at the dock! And guess what- those thrusters didn't bother him at all! So breakfast – we hung out at an outside table at Topsiders, and one by one the kids drifted up.

BreakfastatTopsiders.jpg

By the time we got off the boat at about 10:30, there were no more roses or lapel pins being handed out. However, the volunteers where still around and very welcoming and friendly! We picked up a map from one and asked some questions, then headed out of the "welcome tent" and walked toward town. We were docked at Long Wharf, as another ship was docked at the main passenger terminal. Some CM referred to that other ship as a floating tennis shoe.

DSC_0399.jpg

It does sort of look like one!. Anyway, the dock was fine because the important places where right between the two ships. About a 10 minute stroll from the ship we got to Market Square. This is an indoor shopping area which is also the home of a public library and a museum. And, of TIM HORTONS!

SowecansayweateatTimHortons.jpg

In case you were wondering: 10 Tim Bits for $2. All of the places took American dollars, some gave change in American and some in Canadian currency. I found the shop owners very friendly and eager to please! Picked up some magnets, and DD15 found keychains with "Ugs" boots which she bought for her friends. Whatever… At the museum gift shop they had pre-stamped postcards. I thought that was neat, but I hadn't brought any addresses with me so I didn't take advantage of the opportunity to write and send. All around the area there were these life-sized statues. Plus at least 2 moose that we found requiring a photo stop.

NoaMooseHug.jpg

Due to some internet/iPod related inter-teen conflict, we had some mood issues going on at this point. We moved across to the Barbour General Store which is essentially a tourist site for buying local tea, etc. You can get a free cup of tea to taste, though. And, in the very back is a room with checker boards!

ChessatBarbour.jpg

Just beyond Barbour, if you make a right on Prince William Street, there is a very cute street with some good stores. A cupcake store (Piece O'Cake), Java Moose coffee shop, and an olive oil and balsamic vinegar shop.

PieceOCakecupcakebakeryonPrinceWilliamstreetturnrightattheBarbourGeneralStore.jpg

AlsoonPrinceWilliamStbalsamicvinegarsandoliveoils.jpg

Our jet boat ride was scheduled for 1pm and they said to arrive 30 minutes ahead of time. We found the bus stop for the bus to the Reversing Falls (thanks to a volunteer lady!) but in the end a cab came first and we took that. It was around $12 for the 6 of us which we thought was fair.
Upon arriving at the park, we easily found the site for the boat rides. We checked in and then hung out at the picnic tables on site. There was good shade and ample picnic table space, and wireless internet OH JOY!!! A cute "guard dog" named Pirate. We watched one group get ready for their ride, and another come back all wet and happy, and our excitement started to build. After a short wait our tickets were called and we were given our instructions,

GettingourbriefingattheJetBoatThrillRides.jpg

then suited up in yellow rain gear. "Rain gear," laughed the owner (who seemed to enjoy himself immensely!), "is for RAIN!"( i.e. you're gonna get wet anyway!)

RaincoatsareforRAIN.jpg

Onourwaytotheboat.jpg

Let's just say that it HELPED, but we did still get wet. We boarded the boat barefoot or in socks provided. It was a wildly fun ride! We raced, spun, did dips and splashes. We saw birds and a seal. We tasted salt water and fresh water. We saw the small rapids of the reversing tides. We heard some history and waved to lots of people on shore. Absolutely a blast!

Thisisaguywholoveshisjob.jpg

When we got back to the dock we padded up to the changing area and took off our RAIN gear. Then we used the changing rooms to put on dry clothes. We needed to change everything down to the skin! Then there was complimentary hot cocoa and coffee offered. It was truly a fun time!

Saint John looks like a lovely city!!!

you know, i thought that the canada cruise would be boring, but it looks like a lot of fun!!! i think i'd prefer it to the Caribean!!

I am really enjoying your report - especially your son's magic moment doing headstands with Mickey is priceless, thank you for showing us those great photos!

Saint John looks like a lovely city!!!

you know, i thought that the canada cruise would be boring, but it looks like a lot of fun!!! i think i'd prefer it to the Caribean!!

Both port cities were very lovely! Really a treat! And the weather - for me it was IDEAL. I don't do well in humidity:scared:! Though one day I'd like to see the Carribean, too...:rolleyes:!

I am really enjoying your report - especially your son's magic moment doing headstands with Mickey is priceless, thank you for showing us those great photos!

I'm glad you're enjoying it! That Magical Moment was precious. Unexpected. And we'll remember it FOREVER:cloud9:!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter