5 Days at Christmas - Itinerary?

Hi friends! My family is looking into a Christmas trip for 2023. We're not new to WDW but we typically do longer length vacations in the warmer months, where we do all the parks and all the things. This is the first time we're considering a trip during the holidays, which is super exciting, and it's also the first time we're looking at a shorter, simpler stay.

We're looking at a 5 night stay. We're not local, so we'll be flying. I'm trying to decide how many days of park tickets we would need, how many non-park days we could get by with. We definitely would want to do MVMCP. We're also thinking of maybe foregoing park-hoppers. We have a separate, longer visit earlier on in 2023 so I don't necessarily feel the need to do all the parks. We just would rather focus on the holiday stuff.

My hypothetical itinerary is as follows, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. We need at least 2 park days, plus MVMCP. Not sure if we'd need a third park day to fill the time or if there'd be enough outside of the parks to entertain us, especially if it happens to be too cold to swim.

Day 1 - Arrival day. Disney Springs.
Day 2 - Epcot
Day 3 - Rest Day. MVMCP.
Day 4 - Rest Day. Resort hop? Or possibly another park day.
Day 5 - Magic Kingdom
Day 6 - Fly home

I would put a park day in place of day 4 and go to Hollywood Studios. HS has nice Christmas decorations and the Sunset Seasons Greetings projections on the Tower of Terror are fun to watch.

Hi friends! My family is looking into a Christmas trip for 2023. We're not new to WDW but we typically do longer length vacations in the warmer months, where we do all the parks and all the things. This is the first time we're considering a trip during the holidays, which is super exciting, and it's also the first time we're looking at a shorter, simpler stay.

We're looking at a 5 night stay. We're not local, so we'll be flying. I'm trying to decide how many days of park tickets we would need, how many non-park days we could get by with. We definitely would want to do MVMCP. We're also thinking of maybe foregoing park-hoppers. We have a separate, longer visit earlier on in 2023 so I don't necessarily feel the need to do all the parks. We just would rather focus on the holiday stuff.

My hypothetical itinerary is as follows, and I'd love to hear your thoughts. We need at least 2 park days, plus MVMCP. Not sure if we'd need a third park day to fill the time or if there'd be enough outside of the parks to entertain us, especially if it happens to be too cold to swim.

Day 1 - Arrival day. Disney Springs.
Day 2 - Epcot
Day 3 - Rest Day. MVMCP.
Day 4 - Rest Day. Resort hop? Or possibly another park day.
Day 5 - Magic Kingdom
Day 6 - Fly home
So I think to best answer your question, you need to list what you really want to do on this trip and which parks it might involve. You said it best, it sounds like you don't need to do a bunch since you'll be going again earlier in 2023. We sometimes skip a park or two but we also cram a lot into a short time since I'm all for relaxation but I also don't want to pay a ton for disney and not get what I feel is my money's worth.

Also, you need to know how you tour the parks, are you lolly-gaggers or do you like to go go go? To me, your trip seems pretty light on park time for 5 days even if you only want to focus MK and epcot. I do see the need for some R&R after MVMCP since it's late but you could sleep in, resort hop late morning/in the afternoon to see holiday decor, have a bite before MVMCP. I just don't see a need for another rest day for only 2.5 days of parks. But I don't know the makeup of your traveling party so that might be about all you can or care to do. We are not big swimmers now that my kids are older so unless you all really want to swim, which depending on where you're from, might be fine since the pools are all heated but we don't swim at Disney unless it's late spring/summer. Just too chilly for us. We do like to resort hop but do keep in mind, depending where you're headed to and how you're getting there, you may run into issues just getting into the resort.

If I was ya'll, this would be our trip, we're a family of 4 with two teenagers.
Day 1, same, arrive hit DS
2- Epcot
3-rest/resort time/resort hop hit MVMCP at 4pm when can get in for the party
4- DHS- sleep in/late arrival
5-MK
6 depart

The 5 days of Xmas sounds like the exact holiday 2023 Xmas thru NYEve.
12/25-12/31 might not coincide with the Very Merry Event party.
I think the parties end and the parade w/ Santa and snowfall on Main Street means locals enjoying free and therefore very crowded. Staying on property might help with park pass availability .
Who knows what else will be introduced. Including the new Tron attraction at MK.
Each of the parks have unique decorations and attractions.
The ages and interests will determine how to plan .
I guess it would be easy to skip AK during the holidays .
I love Cosmic Rewind at EPCOT and really think Star Wars land is boring. What do you think about Candlelight Processional or Fantasmic … and hassle,of getting reservations , etc.
Do you plan to arrive early and stay all day since you dont
want to parkhop. Good decision because of traffic.
Hopefully you will discover some trip reports that can start answer these questions to prepare for next year.
Heck it’s hard to figure out this year with all the recent changes . And I am a regular feeling like it’s overwhelming .
Best advice is to try to budget to stay on property or find something nearby .
Do you want to start with resort/ hotel plans ?
It’s crazy that people are already booking 2023 !
Next year I will plan for something Not Disney . Need a break and holidays haven’t even begun !

I’m going to go against the grain here.
I think your plan sounds nice, not hectic.
Since you already had another longer trip to do rides, I think your days sound well planned not to rush and have some relaxation built in.

I haven’t been during the holidays but think taking time to resort hop on your day 4 sounds lovely. You’ll have been up late from MNSSHP so you can sleep in and get up late, leave after leisurely getting up and ready.

You could do the monorail loop to look at the decorations and try holiday treats and drinks and maybe plan a late breakfast at one resort then an early dinner at another resort or at WL. Not rush. We definitely could fill in a day with that and be happy. The decorations and trees at the resorts sound amazing. So do the treats and beverages.

I’m sure the holiday decor at HS is beautiful too, but I can totally see going to the resorts instead. Maybe do HS instead of MK on Day 5? Since you’ve had already been on a longer trip earlier in the year and won’t feel the need to do all the things…

Just a thought. I like the idea of a more leisurely trip during a hectic time.
I’m sure anything you choose will be memorable- have the best time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter