Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I love that dress and what a great price!

Thanks! It's definitely more than worth what I paid for it :)

Are the subways in NYC easy to figure out? DH started a new job and HQ are in Manhattan (I don’t remember the address). Hoping to be able to tag along on one of his work trips and do some sight seeing with the kids.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask because I've lived here most of my life and I'm used to the subways.
That said ... use Google Maps. Their public transit directions are pretty good here. That's what I do when I'm going somewhere new and I'm not sure what trains are nearby (or when I'm going somewhere and I know how to get there, but I don't know how long it will take). Check mta.info before you go anywhere to make sure the trains are running normally, because they're often not (the system is old and things break regularly). There's also a new app, myMTA, which I haven't tried yet (I use the MTA Subway Time app to see when my trains are coming), but might be helpful.
Also, if there's anything I can help with, let me know!

To me Boston is kind of a small town ... so I do not think I could ever adjust to Auburn, Alabama. I don't think I could adjust to anywhere in Alabama ... I'm sure it's a nice state, but it's not for me.

LOL, I don't think you'd enjoy our heat and humidity just like I would not survive y'alls winters!

I love that dress and what a great price!

Are the subways in NYC easy to figure out? DH started a new job and HQ are in Manhattan (I don’t remember the address). Hoping to be able to tag along on one of his work trips and do some sight seeing with the kids.

My mom and I used the subway on our trip to NYC. I used the mta website Sarah mentioned to figure out how to navigate the city. We walked a good bit and did one of those sightseeing tours, but the subway was relatively easy to navigate and definitely saved us some time and money. I feel like if we can figure it out then anyone can!

I love all of the city vs town talk. Sarah, does it make you a little envious that I drive 30 miles in 30 minutes to work everyday? I am envious of actually having stuff close/walking distance like you do though!

To me Boston is kind of a small town ... so I do not think I could ever adjust to Auburn, Alabama. I don't think I could adjust to anywhere in Alabama ... I'm sure it's a nice state, but it's not for me.

It's funny that you mention that you think Boston is a small town. When I was a kid, I thought it was so big as we only went very occasionally and mainly to Logan. Now as an adult having visited and lived in many major cities as well as work for 5 years in Boston, I totally agree it is small.

Good luck on your race!

LOL, I don't think you'd enjoy our heat and humidity just like I would not survive y'alls winters!

That's a pretty accurate assessment. I was dying of heat the one week I was in Florida, and all of my college friends from down south hated the winter.

I love all of the city vs town talk. Sarah, does it make you a little envious that I drive 30 miles in 30 minutes to work everyday? I am envious of actually having stuff close/walking distance like you do though!

If that's supposed to make me angry about my hour+ commute to work ... mission accomplished. This is why I'm hoping to start looking for apartments soon ... I want that elusive 30 minute commute to work. (Although it would be less than 30 miles ... there's nowhere in NY that you can get 30 miles in 30 minutes, so that's actually pretty cool. One point for Nebraska.)
Also ... there's nothing really within walking distance to my house (other than the subway, which is about a 15 minute walk and takes you everywhere), but if/when I move ... Manhattan's a wonderful place. Especially if you can find an area with no tourists.

It's funny that you mention that you think Boston is a small town. When I was a kid, I thought it was so big as we only went very occasionally and mainly to Logan. Now as an adult having visited and lived in many major cities as well as work for 5 years in Boston, I totally agree it is small.

When we lived in the area we went into Boston a lot, but I was used to "going into the city" being going into Manhattan, so I knew it was kinda small. The buildings were all too short. But I think a lot of people from that area think of Boston as a big city until they experience bigger cities.

Good luck on your race!

Thank you!

Big city living always fascinates me too having lived in a small town my entire life. I love visiting big cities (Chicago is my favorite) and NYC is just awe-inspiring as far as I'm concerned, but I seriously couldn't imagine living somewhere like that. I'm usually exhausted after a few days of visiting. LOL Just things like going to the grocery store seem overwhelming. :D

Big city living always fascinates me too having lived in a small town my entire life. I love visiting big cities (Chicago is my favorite) and NYC is just awe-inspiring as far as I'm concerned, but I seriously couldn't imagine living somewhere like that. I'm usually exhausted after a few days of visiting. LOL Just things like going to the grocery store seem overwhelming. :D

While I technically live within the borders of NYC, I live in a more suburban area, but I work in Manhattan, so I kinda understand both worlds. I hate the idea of having to get in your car to go anywhere ... if I need to pick up something from the drugstore, I just leave the office and there are like 5 drugstores within a 5 block radius. But it's also a very fast pace that takes a lot of getting used to. (Although I think it helps me be so fast-paced at Disney, because I'm used to being "on" all the time)
And things like going to the grocery store are really overwhelming for me ... but that would happen in a small town too. I just hate grocery stores. If you don't have a car, it actually sometimes stops you from buying things you don't need at the grocery store - because you have to be able to carry everything you buy home with you, so you don't buy unnecessary stuff (or you could just take an Uber).

If that's supposed to make me angry about my hour+ commute to work ... mission accomplished. This is why I'm hoping to start looking for apartments soon ... I want that elusive 30 minute commute to work. (Although it would be less than 30 miles ... there's nowhere in NY that you can get 30 miles in 30 minutes, so that's actually pretty cool. One point for Nebraska.)
Also ... there's nothing really within walking distance to my house (other than the subway, which is about a 15 minute walk and takes you everywhere), but if/when I move ... Manhattan's a wonderful place. Especially if you can find an area with no tourists.

Definitely not trying to make you angry- there are pros and cons to everything! I would love to be able to take public transportation and be able to read/browse/zone out during my commute for a few minutes. Grass is always greener...

Definitely not trying to make you angry- there are pros and cons to everything! I would love to be able to take public transportation and be able to read/browse/zone out during my commute for a few minutes. Grass is always greener...

So, it's interesting - my brother used to work in Manhattan, but his office moved to Long Island a few months ago, so he bought a car and he drives to work now. I think he misses being able to watch TV/Netflix on his commute, but he doesn't miss the long commute or the train delays (although he's not a huge fan of traffic). There are definitely pros and cons to both.
That's what I like about the idea of moving to Manhattan - it's kinda the best of both worlds. A shorter commute, but still a chance to zone out and read/watch Netflix/listen to podcasts/whatever.

Haha that is perfect! (Also an excellent Costanza quote in general ... but funnier when you say it to Sleeping Beauty)
I'm a huge fan of post race medal photos with face characters in general because the possibilities for memorable interactions are endless and you can have some great ones. Almost legendary even. The characters tell you all sorts of fun things about themselves and/or their friends that somehow manage to tie into running a race. It's really quite impressive.

I've had weeks like that ... they just drag on and never end. At least the week is almost over!
This week has flown by, but the pile of things I need to do is increasing much more quickly than I can get to them because of how quickly this week has flown by.

I'm a huge fan of post race medal photos with face characters in general because the possibilities for memorable interactions are endless and you can have some great ones. Almost legendary even. The characters tell you all sorts of fun things about themselves and/or their friends that somehow manage to tie into running a race. It's really quite impressive.

Totally agree on this. We've had some great post-race character interactions ... especially the characters who are already fairly chatty in general. They'll just go on and on about running and whatever (I'm looking at you, super chatty Peter Pan who wanted his own race weekend!).

This week has flown by, but the pile of things I need to do is increasing much more quickly than I can get to them because of how quickly this week has flown by.

Oh yeah, those weeks where you suddenly have 800 hours worth of work to do and ... oh wait, when did Friday get here? Those are rough. You have my sympathy.
(I think I'm gonna have one of those weeks next week)

So, I wrote a plan for the Bronx 10 Mile and ... I don't hate it. Peak week is 22 miles, and that's also the only time I run a 5 miler during the week. Max of one hard workout per week. Two barre3 classes most weeks. It seems like a very manageable plan, but I don't know if it will get me to my goal.

We'll see how Sunday goes and decide what we want to do from there.

Just an fyi for anyone looking to live track me ... if you search my bib number, it doesn't show up. It should start showing up when I cross the start line, which should be between 8:10 and 8:20, depending on how fast they get the corrals out and where I decide to start.

I've got virtual pacer set to keep me between 12:00/mi and 13:30/mi. That's too big of a range, but I'm also not convinced I'll be okay starting at 13:00/mi. The T+D adjustment chart Coach gave me has Easy A at 12:49/mi, so I may try to start around there (since I tend to ignore T+D adjustments sometimes :ducks: )

Temperature for the start of the race is 76, with dew point at 70, for a T+D of 146 at the start (so theoretically that would adjust my EA pace to 13:20, and EB, which is what I do as my usual easy continuous pace, adjusts to 12:29 ... so maybe I should adjust virtual pacer to 12:30-13:30 ... hmm). No idea what it actually feels like outside since I didn't leave the house today like the giant loser that I am.

Anyway ... I should probably finish getting ready for this race and go to sleep. Maybe when I wake up I'll actually be excited to run.

Just for a change of pace, one of these days I'm gonna a show up at a race more than 10 minutes before it starts.
Also ... the second escalator at the front of the platform at lex and 53rd is back up (although it was going in the other direction so I took the one that has been open the whole time).

I'm back home. Full recap to come later, but just to end any suspense: I did not meet my goal of running continuously.
I ran the first mile, walked the water stop in the second mile, took a nutrition and walk break during mile 3 (wasn't originally planning to fuel for this race, but I brought jelly beans just in case - so glad I did because I needed them badly), walked again early in mile 4, and then just turned on my regular intervals about halfway through the race.
Could I have run this continuously? Probably. But between the heat, the fact that I was having trouble slowing down, and the fact that I was tired and just not feeling great, I think I made the right decision. I'll get it next time.

At the end of the day ... I crossed the finish line and got the race credit towards my 9+1, and that's what matters most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter