5/25/02 Western Excursions on your own?

Bbethparsons

Dachshund Lover
Anyone have any suggestions for beaches/excursions on your own for western carribbean cruise? I've been to Key West before, but never Grand Cayman or Cozumel? I hear that 7 mile beach in Grand Cayman is beautiful. Someone told me they walk there, but it is a long walk? How long? I need to decide whether I want to book excursions or not. Only 62 days left until we cruise.....YEAH!!:pinkbounc :pinkbounc

Hey....looking forward to meeting you on that 5/25/02 cruise!! Can't wait!! I have been doing some research on this very topic and found a lot on the following website:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/

It sounds as if you could get shore excursions on your own or take a taxi to the Beaches, etc. I think that is what we are planning on doing. I also read on that website about a company in Grand Cayman called Captain Marvins that offers shore excursions. That website is:

http://captainmarvins.com/

Give those a try!! Planning, Planning, Planning....it is the only thing that is keeping me from going insane!!! Can't wait to goooooooooo.

Becki

we are going to book a half day stingray city and snorkel excursion with Captain Marvins ( the full day excursion looks good but doesn't finish until 3pm EST and we decided there wouldn't be enough time to shop for the imfamous Rumcakes!! )

yesterday we were pondering which Disney Cozumel trip to do - xcaret ( expensive and a lot of travelling to get there ) or one of the chankanaab park trips ( but which one?? )

then we did a search for these locations on the Cruise Critic site and it seems that a lot of people catch a local taxi to chankanaab for $8. Entry into the park is $10 each - I think the sealion show is an extra $10. This seems a lot better value for money than the Disney excursions and I think this is what we will do.

Has anyone out there had any experience of "going it alone"? are there any pitfalls? a $100 saving on a family of 3 seems too good to be true:)

Twinscandc

I can't seem to locate site for captain marvins. could you recheck address for me and let me know. We will be on May 25 as well and look forward to meeting everyone from these boards.

thanks,

Pam

sorry Pam about that website link. I'm not too savy with this whole computer thing yet!! I think I have figured it out now....

Try this:

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

Good luck....we haven't reserved anything with Captain Marvins yet. I would like to know if you contact them and how it goes. From what I read on that "other" board, Captain Marvin gets great reviews!!

Becki

Thanks Becki

I have not been able to access that site all afternoon, keeps telling me it is too busy. Maybe tomorrow. I think we have just about decided to do one of Disney's excursions in Grand Cayman and go it alone in Cozumel and Key West.

How about you, what kind of excursions are you looking at?

We leave in 59 days :)

Pam

Pam,

We (really just me) are very excited about snorkeling in Grand Cayman....I think we are going to try the Captain Marvin's half day snorkel trip...sounds like alot of fun!!

I'm not sure what we are going to do at Cozumel....haven't started "research" on that yet. I've just always heard such great things about Grand Cayman and the water there!! I love to snorkel and am looking forward to that.

Another reason why we are "going on our own" is because our twin DD's are only 5.5 and most of the Disney snorkeling excursions are for 6 years old and up. My DD's are excellant swimmers and have been snorkeling in swim practice now. They are really looking forward to "swimming" with the fish, etc.

Anyway....just can't keep it out of my head!! I want the vacation to come soooo bad that it hurts sometimes!! Ha Ha

We leave in 54 days because we are going to spend a week at Disney (Swan) before the cruise!!

I feel like I'm planning two different vacations!!

Keep me posted of what you find on the excursions!!

Thanks,
Becki

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter