• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

4D in 2003

larworth

DIS Veteran
Looks like there will be plenty of competition in the 4D experience category. Be interesting to see who does the best job.

Disney will open Philarmagic

Universal will open Shrek

BG just recently announced
Busch Gardens Williamsburg announces a major new attraction coming to its 2003 entertainment lineup. An all-new 4D attraction, R.L. Stine's Haunted Lighthouse. R.L. Stine's Haunted Lighthouse stars veteran actors Christopher Lloyd, "Weird Al" Yankovic and Lea Thompson in a spellbinding story that goes beyond traditional movie releases. The immersive experience combines state-of-the-art visual effects with multi-sensory surprises. "Sensory effects such as fog and interactive seats envelope the audience in an extraordinary 4-D.Special 3-D glasses allow state-of-the-art visual effects to "pop" off the screen right in front of the viewer's eyes. The 25-minute experience also includes "in your face" special effects like water sprays, air blasts and rain. Seats in the Globe Theatre are equipped with specialized surround-sound speakers to enhance the sensory experience. Just in time for the Williamsburg adventure park's opening March 2003, R.L. Stine's Haunted Lighthouse also will debut at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay and SeaWorld Adventure Parks in San Diego and San Antonio
I also believe Hershey Park is going to open some new 4D experience next year for Chocolate World (if they are still Hershey by then!).

Hopefully, Disney is working on a 5D experience. This genre may soon be pretty saturated.

As long as you have good ideas and followthru the genre wont be dead. Hopefully the new ones will be as good as T23D!!

While I continue to find the 3D/4D experiences entertaining, I often hear other people complain about their repeatability factor.
Are these attractions really more susceptible to this phenonmenon? If so, than their proliferation must be a factor.

It is not that often we see these players all introduce the same type of attraction the same year (Disney, US, BGT). Wonder if it has ever happened? It will be interesting to see how each markets theirs.

Also, it does make you wonder a little about Disney's design process. I think they were the first to announce and will be the last to open. Let's hope it is the best.

I believe the trust owns the Parks as well as the majority stake in the company. I assume the new owner would want control of these assets if it continued to bear one of it's major brand names. The trust could sell the park off (Cedar Fair seems most likely). Either way I think it would end up having a new owner.

As far as BGW, this doesn't sound that different from the Leslie Nielsen pirate movie they've been showing in that same theater. It sounds like they're just putting in a new movie to replace the old one, and maybe they'll adjust the effects a little bit. It will probably help them publicize a "new" attraction there, but I doubt it will be something that attracts much notice from other companies. I could be wrong, though, and I do think Wierd Al is a cool choice. :)

Of course, I don't know much about the Disney or Universal plans for their attractions, so I don't know what innovative things they might be adding. I hope there really is something new and innovative in their attractions, rather than just another 4D movie.

Universal has two new 3-d Attractions planned. Shrek and Jimmy Neutron. Shrek has been rumored to even top Terminator in WOW factor. As far are repeat visits and the experience are concerned, I don't really hear people griping about Terminator and especially Spiderman for that matter. If it's done well people will want to see it again and again.

I have complained when very old 3-d attractions are cloned and sold as new. For example, Muppets 4-d was installed into DCA and I was irritated. I don't think filmed attractions age particularly well.

Or maybe I was just having a bad day because I still went to see it!

Anyway, I am looking very much forward to Shrek, Philarmagic, and Jimmy N. Particularly Shrek for some reason. Universal must have done a job on me.

I'm really looking forward to Shrek also. I can't wait to see what this OgreVision is all about.

One of the employees who post on the Universal side of the boards says that the Shrek Attraction has been code named "Project Waffles" Just a little tidbit of info. I can't wait for the attractoin either Spaeman..

From Shrek.....

Donkey: Ooh, this is gonna be so much fun! We can stay up late, swappin' manly stories, and in the mornin', I'm makin' ..WAFFLES!

I hope there really is something new and innovative in their attractions, rather than just another 4D movie
There has been some reference to the very large screen size in Philarmagic and the quality of the 3D animation. Wind has been hinted as one of the new 4D effects. We know Disney opted to save some $ by cutting out any moving floor effects.

I would assume OrgeVision is at least on par with T23D. I think they alluded to smell as one of their 4D effects. With Shrek one thinks of something akin to the stinkbug effect in TTBAB. We have a pretty short list of smells used (banana, pine, orange, stink) maybe we'll get a new one?

The Pirates show at BG didn't have any seat effects, and I think only a minor water spray. Sounds like the 4D part will be a major upgrade. I can see where they might reuse the existing screens to keep the cost down.

Looks like I need to get my 3D vision checked before next year.

Does anyone else realise the 4th dimension is time? I know the theme parks want guests to think its better than 3d, but I can't help but cringe whenever its mentioned unless of course, they plan on some time travel rides :bounce:

...and that Rod Serling guy was way off about that "5th dimension" stuff... What's that? Doesn't anyone know there's no such thing? Next thing you know they'll be trying to sell us on crazy stuff like pixies and flying carpets...

The person who grows tired of Muppet-Vision 4D grows tired of life.

That's right: it was called "4D" in the beginning. (Many of you will recall that.) Guess it must've confused people because they changed it to "3D."

But everything old is new again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter