401k ?

mlwear

DIS Veteran
This is a dumb ?, but I'm sure someone here will know the answer immediately (giggle at my ignorance, if you want :goodvibes )

I was just looking at some of our 401K stuff. It says you can contribute up to $15,000 of your pre-tax contribution.
Here's my question: Does that $15,000 contribution include what the employer matches? Or can the contribution be $15,000 of DH's compensation AND an additional $15,000 that would be an employer match? So, the total going into the 401K would be $30K?

You can contribute up to $15,000. The employer match is not taken into account for that limit.

Keep in mind that most employers cap their matching. It's unlikely they'll match 100% of your contributions up to $15,000. But that sure would be great if they did!!!

Yeah, it would be sweet if my company matched 100% of my 401(k) contributions! Unfortunately, they only match 50% of the first $5,000 contributed.

Debbie

My example in the question was purely theoretical. Just trying to keep it simple, but should have used numbers that more accurately described a situation. But, it got the point across.
DH's employer matches 100% up to 4% of his income. I did check and it would be possible to get $15K in matching funds, but you would have to have a salary of $375,000. (I think my math is right, if not I guarantee someone will correct me -- regardless a person would have to have a very high salary to get $15K by matching 4%.
But, TY pearlieq for your wonderful answer. That is what I was trying to figure out: if it was $15,000 total or just what DH/we contribute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter