4 weeks of fun

Sasha Jade

Earning My Ears
We fly over on 2nd August and we are staying in Anaheim, though we are going to Las Vegas for 2 nights and Williams Arizona for 2 nights.
We are planning on buying AP.s for DL, but also we want to visit Knotts Berry Farm and Knotts Soak City as well as Universal and Hollywood.
The last time we visited was November 2002 and we did go to DL on Thanksgiving weekend, will the queues in August be about the same as then?
Any advice for us as we are flying a long way for this trip (11 and a half hours flight!!) and its costing us a lot of money and we want to get the best out of it.
Thanks for any help you can give
Love Sasha

I'm also flying into Las Vegas for a couple of days and then heading to CA for 2 weeks!! I have been cost cutting like crazy (priceline for hotels, etc) and have come up with some great deals!! We are going to Magic Mtn (bought AP here for only 49.99 at our six flags in ohio, Universal Passes on the online auction site (also leogoland tickets that way) and we already have Knott's season passes from Cedar Point. The only thing we didn't cost cut is Disneyland-wanted to stay onsite. Have fun planning and email me if you want any questions answered about passes, etc.

I've never been to DL during the Thanksgiving holidays but I do know that the later part of August, particularly the last week of August is the lightest time of the summer. Some schools are back in session around that time. I have been to DL during the last week of August when we had a So. Calf. annual pass and found the crowds pretty bearable, especially compared to the middle of the summer. I would still stick to what most recommend as far as your daily schedule: get there early and hit the popular rides, use fast pass, leave mid-day if crowded and go to your hotel pool and return in the evening for the fireworks and Fantasmic or Electric Light parade.

You should note that DL will allow you into the park's Main Street 1/2 hour earlier than the posted offical opening. That could give you a little bit of a head start. Also take note of the independent fast pass machines and utilize those for multiple fast passes. Don't worry about missing the window period on your fast pass if you should get several during the same time; they will honor the fast pass after the window period.

I would also check back on this board and ask about what discount tickets are available to Knotts, Universal, etc. Currently, Ralph's supermarket is offering tickets to Knotts for $25.99/adults, $12.95/childs. You will have to sign up for their Raplh's club card but that's free. There was an earlier post on this promotion so you might look at that.

Starting Aug. 11, the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood (part owned by Disney) will be showing "Princess Diaries 2" with the option of staying after the movie for a Disney Princess Tea. You can get more info on this at www.elcapitan.com.

If you want advice on Las Vegas, us locals can give you quite a bit of info. Las Vegas is a popular weekend getaway for So. Calif. residents. My family and I just returned from the MGM/Grand as a matter of fact. Just post of this board and I'm sure you'll get quite a few responses.

Hope that helps.

I would have never thought to check out the El Capitan schedule and viola - my girls, their grandmother, and I are now set to see the premeir showing of Princess Diaries 2 & tea!!!

We have missed Mary Poppins Practically Perfect Tea (wish DL would put something in its place!!!) and this will be the first time that we will be in LA when there is a movie/tea at the El Capitan!

Thanks again!!!!!!!

Your welcome dgdisney!

This is only the second time they've offered a Princess tea. The first time was for the original "Princess Diaries". It's fortunate you'll be in town then. I really don't expect them to do this again unless there's a third "Princess Diaries".

Sasha Jade... Thanksgiving weekend is VERY busy. It really will be somewhat lighter crowds in August.

:hyper2::hyper2::hyper2::hyper2::hyper2::hyper2:

I love how hmontgomry got passes for Knotts and Six Flags at local parks. I wish Disney would at least give California passholders some kind of discount. - - - - - I do reccommend sleeping across the street to save money at the DLR. There are many threads on this message board that discuss the benefits of not staying on property in California.

:hyper2::hyper2::hyper2::hyper2::hyper2::hyper2:

Enjoy your trips everyone!!!

Thanks for all your replies, sorry not to get back to you sooner, but sadly it was my Mums funeral on Thursday and I have had a lot to do.
Sounds like it will be ok for August after doing Thanksgiving there!!!
We will be staying at the Hyatt Regency, is this a good choice?? Hope so if we are there for 4 weeks.
We are going to get AP's for Disneyland as its so expensive for us to buy them in advance here, we can get an AP cheaper than what we paid for a 4 day pass the last time we visited.
We will be on the lookout for cheap tickets to other places and thanks for the tip about Ralphs.
Love Sasha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter