4-night Bahamian cruise out of Miami -- February 8-12, 2017

CAEMOM

Earning My Ears
My family just returned from our second cruise on the Disney Magic (which was also our second cruise period). Once again DCL and the Magic did not disappoint. We cruised on the Feb 8, 2017 4-night Bahamian cruise out of Miami (Miami, Castaway Cay, Day at Sea, Key West, Miami).

For point of reference we are two 50 yo parents, DS 12, DD 12, and DD 9.

Best way for me to review the cruise is probably to compare it with our previous 2015 7-day Western Caribbean Cruise – also on the Magic.

Three main differences between the 2 cruises:

1) This cruise left out of Miami, versus Port Canaveral
2) Shorter cruise – 4 nights versus 7 nights
3) This cruise was NOT during a school break, while our first cruise was during an April spring break week

We enjoyed leaving out of Miami. Really nice views on the sail-away out of port. And we had the chance to experience a little bit of Miami pre-and post cruise. Our first cruise, being out of PC, gave us a chance to visit WDW too so that was also a good experience. Just enjoyed this departure port as an alternative.

As far as the 4 nights go – we were worried it would feel “too short” but it really didn’t. We purposely picked an itinerary that had a full day-at-sea; as from our previous cruise experience, sea days give you the best chance to really enjoy all that the ship has to offer. The Magic is beautiful, there is a lot to do, and you pay a premium to be on DCL’s beautiful ships.

We were (just a little) worried that cruising during a non-school break might be less fun for our tween-age kids. Yes, the cruise guests were predominantly families with younger kids. Even though there were way less kids my kids’ ages (versus our previous cruise) it did not impact our enjoyment. My son who loves basketball still met up with plenty of older kids up on the sports deck. And my daughters hung either together or with my husband and myself which is what they enjoy anyway. As this was a family vacation, that worked just fine! Plus my kids were old enough to be pretty independent on the ship, so my DH and I still were able to enjoy time in the adult Quiet Cove.

Our servers in the main dining rooms were excellent. So much so that all three of my kids even said that dinner was their favorite part of the cruise. Our servers engaged us all with questions/conversation about our day, entertained with magic tricks, and made all of us feel welcome and special every evening. They were genuinely gracious and kind, customer service-oriented, and entertaining every single evening. Our server was Greenidge Machado and Assistant Server was Francesca Hopcraft. They really made our trip special. Our head server was Aziz Karayel; while we had less interaction with him, we know that his job was making sure Greendidge and Francesca had the support to do their job well.

Also our stateroom steward Pa Sinumorm was fantastic. If she was in the hallway when we passed her, she made a point to stop, address us by name, and ask if there was anything we needed. Our cabin was set up perfectly every single time we came back to it.

Finally, shout out to our travel agency Dream Makers Vacation Services and our agent (and owner) Mike McHugh. He made everything smooth since day one of planning – patiently giving us details on alternate itineraries when we were unsure of what cruise we would take. Also, we had a family illness that almost caused us to cancel this cruise. Mike helped us navigate the details of our insurance (that we had thankfully bought – would totally recommend), and helped us understand our options. In the end we didn’t need to cancel but were happy to have Mike’s advice along the way. This is our second time using this agent, and we would definitely book again through Dream Makers Vacation Services again.

One final comment – the two evening shows we loved were Tangled and Dreams. We had seen Dreams before and it’s a favorite. Tangled was new for us and was really well done.

Any questions please PM me.

We're doing a similar itinerary on the Magic out of Miami next year but it's a five night. We too always did the seven nights so glad to hear you didn't think it was too short. We love the Magic; our first two cruises were on the Magic, and we can't wait to go back after its reimagining. Did you do anything in Key West? My husband and I have been there separately for land-based vacation of the Keys, and on our second cruise we actually had a port day there but never got off. Thanks for the trip report!

Cackyschmackers, both our cruises on the Magic were after the re-imagining. It's beautiful and while I can't make a comparison to pre-re-imagining, I think you'll love the new stuff! We would've liked to do a five night but the timing of when we wanted to go didn't work. But if the 4 night didn't feel too short (although could've happily stayed on longer if it had been option!), then the 5 night won't!

In Key West we waited till the day before to commit to anything. We ended up signing up for the glass bottom boat tour. Unfortunately the sea was rough that day and the catamaran didn't go to the reef. While we didn't end up really experiencing anything through the glass bottom, we did meet up with a pod of dolphins who "played" with and "raced" the boat for a while. It was really cool. And the captain of the boat gave us a lot of Key West history which was nice. After the boat tour, we want to lunch at Conch Republic Seafood Company -- nice views overlooking the marina and nice food. Then we just walked around a bit, got ice cream and a few souvenirs, and went back on the ship. We had a nice day there. Hope that helps! I probably should've put all this in my original trip report haha!

Don't know if you'll have any free time in Miami but the Duck Tours South Beach was fantastic and a great way to see South Beach from both land and sea. http://ducktourssouthbeach.com. Ask for a tour with the guide named Richie -- he was sooo funny, engaging, and super informative. My kids had never been to Miami so it was a great, quick way for them to see the South Beach area and more. We went the day we disembarked as we had a late afternoon flight (they held our luggage in their office for us). I just reminded myself that I need to post a review for them!

Enjoy your cruise including the planning fun!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! We actually just got back from a five-day vacation in Miami. LOL we loved it there, had a great time. We have scuba dived in Key West before kids, so I'm thinking about snorkeling. But from what I remember it was just so-so and the waves if bad weather really kick up a lot of sand, so like you maybe we will wait until the cruise to commit. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info! We actually just got back from a five-day vacation in Miami. LOL we loved it there, had a great time. We have scuba dived in Key West before kids, so I'm thinking about snorkeling. But from what I remember it was just so-so and the waves if bad weather really kick up a lot of sand, so like you maybe we will wait until the cruise to commit. Thanks again!

One final FYI -- Most of the disney excursions were still open the day before but you could easily book something non-DCL and so waiting till then to see what weather, conditions, etc like prob would be fine. You can rent golf carts and other similar vehicles and just tour around town too.

We are looking at this same cruise for next year on 2/14. Was the weather ok? That is my biggest concern.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter