3rd Disney ship on the drawing board

disneyfan73

Mouseketeer
I know this may not be new news ... but I think it may be the first time that Disney has stated it publicly.

"We have the designs for the new ship," Walt Disney World President Al Weiss said. "It's just a matter of waiting for a favorable exchange rate."

Here is the link to news story....

www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/moneystoryMAIN0203DISNEY1.htm

Feb 2, 9:10 PM

3rd Disney ship on the drawing board

BY DONNA BALANCIA
FLORIDA TODAY

ORLANDO -- Disney Cruise Line is expected to play an increasingly important role at The Walt Disney Co., company executives said Wednesday.

The Walt Disney Company president and COO, Bob Iger, left, along with Walt Disney World president, Al Weiss, center, and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts president, Jay Rasulo, address Central Florida community leaders during a breakfast presentation Wednesday in Lake Buena Vista. Image by AP
That includes a third cruise ship to add to the Disney fleet that now includes the Magic and the Wonder, both based at Port Canaveral.

"We have the designs for the new ship," Walt Disney World President Al Weiss said. "It's just a matter of waiting for a favorable exchange rate."

One of the three ships likely would be based in California.

Most large cruise ships are built in Europe, and with the dollar's weakness against the euro, Weiss said now is not the best time to be buying a ship. Weiss and other high-ranking Disney officials were in Orlando on Wednesday to meet with Central Florida business leaders.

The cruise industry is a vital component of a $1 billion-a-year tourism industry in Brevard County. Disney Cruise Line has about 3,000 employees on the ships, at Port Canaveral and in the Orlando area. Disney -- which employs about 54,000 people at its Orlando-area attractions -- is Central Florida's largest employer.

As Disney prepares for the 50th anniversary of Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif., all theme parks and properties will get an infusion of new attractions or features. As part of the 18-month-long anniversary celebration, the Disney Magic will be deployed to the Port of Los Angeles from May through September and will offer seven-day voyages through the Mexican Riviera.

It is a dry run for putting another ship into action. The company's projections for success are so high, the only thing that's keeping them from adding a ship right now is money.

Weiss said the cruise ships combine the best of all worlds, because of the "immersion" of the visitor into the full Disney experience.

"The ships are where we experience the highest customer satisfaction," he said. "The visitors get a chance to have total immersion in the Disney experience. The children can experience the great Disney programs, and the cruises are great for families."

On May 14, the Disney Magic will depart from Port Canaveral on a 14-day "repositioning cruise" to the Port of Los Angeles at San Pedro. It will make port-of-call stops in the Bahamas, Curacao, Acapulco, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. Beginning May 28, and ending in August, Magic will sail seven-night trips from California to Mexican ports of call. Then, the Magic will offer another 14-day repositioning cruise, returning to Port Canaveral Sept. 3.

Lou Liebig, a self-proclaimed "Disney freak" from Suntree, said he and his wife are taking a seven-day Disney cruise from California to Mexico.

"We love the cruises," Liebig said. "We've been on all the different legs they have available. We knew they were going to offer these cruises in California, so my wife and I decided to go."

It's repeat customers like the Liebig family that the cruise line depends on.

Travel representative Adrienne Anderson of Gadabout Travel said she anticipated similar deals to what the company offers in Florida.

"They're probably going to offer land-and-sea packages," she said. "Cruises are a great value. You unpack once but visit multiple destinations."

Analysts say it is worth the wait, rather than investing the possibly hundreds of millions of dollars into one ship now.

"It's no surprise Disney is moving ships around," said Marilyn Green, cruise editor of Travel Trade magazine of New York City. "The gap between the euro and the dollar is pretty daunting. If you go to London, your lunch money goes on a cup of coffee. That gives you an idea of how crucial it is the company to conserve. Disney's ships in general have been quite expensive because of the bells and whistles. Clearly, they haven't gotten the deal they want yet. That's why they're moving ships around, rather than adding one."

Contact Balancia at 242-3647 or dbalancia@flatoday.net

What would be the name of the cruise ship? Fantasy or Excitement? The DW and I went a year ago on a cruise. It was great fun and not all that $$$. We had planned on a trip this year but cancelled due to work schedule conflicts. We will definately cruise again. :banana: pirate:

golferguy said:
What would be the name of the cruise ship? Fantasy or Excitement? The DW and I went a year ago on a cruise. It was great fun and not all that $$$. We had planned on a trip this year but cancelled due to work schedule conflicts. We will definately cruise again. :banana: pirate:
Disney Dream or Disney Wish would make good names.

golferguy said:

Carnival already has a ship called teh Fantasy, it actually leaves out of Port Canaveral.
There was a thread somewhere around here with all sorts of great names.

I think if Disney thought is was a good idea, the ship would have already been ordered.
Right now they have the perfect balance. Demand is high enough that they can charge a premium price. If they add a third ship they increase supply by 33%, and while they could probably fill the ship, they probably would have to start offering some price reductions at least some of the time and might end up making less than they do running 2 ships.

What's happening right now with Krispy Kreme Donuts is a perfect example of this. Many see Krispy Kreme as a premium product*, but they have built too many stores, plus just about every gas station mini-mart sells them. People no longer want to pay a premium price because they can get them anywhere, anytime.

* I, for one, am not a Krispy Kreme fan. They are fine donuts, but the BEST donuts always seem to be available at the mom and pop donut shop next door to Krispy Kreme. And they are usually cheaper too.

I can see TVGuy's point but what they'll now be able to do is get into the Alaskan cruise market when they get a ship in CA. We had the fortune of having our dinner assignment with an executive in cruise sales a couple years ago and he couldn't come out and say it but gave us the hint and euro problem. They may be waiting for a while - it's already been 2+ years. He tended to think Disney Dream may be a leading contender at that time. Who knows but I would like to see a permanent ship out there and have that additional option.

Someone a long time back had the US Patent and Copyrights list of names for ships. At that time only Magic and Wonder had been registered.

Anyone have that link so we can see if they've registered another?

Jim

Interesting about patenting cruise ships names. I WONDER ;) how Carnival and Norwegian both have ships named Spirit??

I always thought that the third ship would be named Enchantment. Only because Dis uses that word a LOT when talking about the itself.

"Enjoy the wonder, magic, and enchantment of a Walt Disney World vacation/ Disney Animated Movie / etc."

Disney Magic
Disney Wonder
Disney Enchantment

Sounds good! :boat:

WeLuvDCL said:
Interesting about patenting cruise ships names. I WONDER ;) how Carnival and Norwegian both have ships named Spirit??

Patents are issued for inventions or for processes. Copyrights and trademarks are used for terms like McDonalds.

Probably the name of the Carnival And NCL ships are something more than just "Spirit", So names like "Carnival Sprit" would be different from "Norwegian Spirit"

Jim

Cool.

Can you give the link?

I think the appearance of the name on the list will be the one of first concrete confirmations of the beginning of the project.

Jim

jgalecpa said:
I think the appearance of the name on the list will be the one of first concrete confirmations of the beginning of the project.

Jim
I disagree - they don't have to have a name to start building the ship -all they need are plans and a signed contract with the shipyward (and, oh yeah, the capital).

I think the contract showing up on the list of ships being built by the shipyards will be our first sign (assuming they don't announce it before it makes it onto that list).

During the August Repo Cruise DCL President Tom McAlpin finally explained why they are waiting when other lines are building ships:

1. Disney reports in US $, all of the cruise lines do their financial results in the Euro or some other currency. The impact of exchange rates is greater to Disney than to RCCL, NCL or Carnivale.

2. DCL is a part of a larger company - DCL does not need to grow revenue by adding ships as long as they are profitable since other parts of the Disney empire can provide the growth. The other cruise lines need to grow revenue and the easiest way is to keep adding ships.

3. DCL has the highest customer satisfaction rating of any Disney unit.

Given all this I concluded that unless movies, theme parks and ABC all make huge revenue jumps and profit jumps we won't see Disney make the investment. This is espescially true until the time the US$/Euro exchange rate becomes favorable. Disney knows they have a good thing in DCL and want to nurture it and keep it good. Just like Honda if they keep supply lower than demand they can get away with charging premium prices.

To end on a Happier Note, did anyone else on the Repo Cruise think during the Hong Kong Disneyland presentation that the location just begged for a cruise ship dock?

Hasn't the contents of this article been known for months now? That Disney is planning a third ship, but is waiting for a 'favorable exchange rate?' :confused3

Mickeyhugger said:
Hasn't the contents of this article been known for months now? That Disney is planning a third ship, but is waiting for a 'favorable exchange rate?' :confused3

No, not known. All rumors. Funny though, the more rumors are spread, the more people think they are true. I wouldn't hold my breath because even if Disney announced today they were building a new ship, the wait for a shipyard to build it is years long.

This has been "known" for over two years, per DCL. The plans are occassionally updated. Bottom line is the Euro exchange rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter