Yes she is required to be in a booster seat in FL. The airplane is not necessary. I have seen many people bring a car seat with them on a plane and store it in the overhead compartment. I stored and evenflo seat in a piece of luggage when I went 9/2001. Coming back I needed it since 9/11 occurred and we had to drive home from Florida. Our Disney checkout date was 9/11 and we were on the way to the airport when we found out.

You do not need anything on the plane or in the car in Florida (per their laws):

ALL CHILDREN 5 YEARS OLD OR YOUNGER MUST USE A RESTRAINT DEVICE WHEN RIDING IN A MOTOR VEHICLE.
The law requires every driver to secure children five years of age or younger in child restraint devices riding in a passenger car, van, or pick-up truck, regardless of whether the vehicle is registered in this state. Infant carriers or children's car seats must be used for children three years old and younger. Children's car seats or safety belts may be used for four- and five-year-olds.

We bought one of those small boosters seats with no back but it props them up higher so the seatbelt won't choke them and are bring that in a duffle bag and checking it with our luggage.

We will not be using it on the plane.

********I just read the post above mine and unless the law has just recently changed, it's 3 and under who have to be in a carseat/booster seat. 4 & 5 year olds only need a seatbelt. The quote I provided is from a Florida website which I will look for for you!*********

A 5yo will be fine in the airplane, in fact you can not use a booster in an aircraft.

I think FL law is pretty lenient and the 5yo would not require a carseat but if she typically uses a carseat or booster at home it would probably be a good idea to bring or rent one. Most of the car rental agencies will rent one for a daily fee and the towncar companies will generally provide one. If your using Mears to/from the airport and the disney transportation than you won't need one at all.

TJ

DS is 7 and a big boy, but we still bring our booster seat for the car. It is the big style ones and places him in a good position for the seat belt. He has been sitting in the plane without a car seat for a few years.

dvc guy if you have a big 7 yr old check your booster seat for the weight/height restrictions. I also have a big 7 yr old and he's too big for ALL of them. I friend/state cop said he's now fine without one and just with the regular seat belt (over the shoulder kind). He's 52 inches - I think the cut off was 51 or maybe less. ALSO - I got a booster for free from the state cop - it seems Ford (?) distributes them for free and the cops just pass them along. It's better than most I've bought because it's more comfortable and it's a snap to switch in and out to different cars.

Most high-back "booster" carseats are approved for aircraft use if they are equipped with a 5-pt harness, and if the harness is still being used. If the harness has been removed from an approved high-back booster, it no longer qualifies for aircraft use.

My DS will be six at the end of this month. He hit 40 lbs about 8 months ago. He hit the top height on the 5-pt harness at just about the same time, so we have been checking his booster seat since then. He now uses the booster seat without the harness, just the vehicle belt. We invested in a carseat satchel from BRUS when he was little, as we had to haul it through the terminal so often. We use the same satchel now to check the seat.

In cars, DS likes using the booster better than going without; the belt is more comfortable with the seat, and it lifts him up so that he can actually see out of the window. Seeing out is especially important to him on vacation, when there is always new stuff to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter