30yr old Male - Cancer - Disability Questions

redefine6

Earning My Ears
Good afternoon. My name is Jon and I have just recently finished 7 months of chemotherapy to treat Stage 4 Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

My girlfriend and I are headed to Animal Kingdom Lodge for a 6 day trip in late August as sort of a recovery celebration since I've been couped up in my home/hospital for the better part of a year. As I am feeling much better each day, my stamina is still greatly lacking, and despite having fast passes, I know there will be times when we stand in line for up to an hour and maybe more.

This will really take it out of me and limit my total Disney experience. Would I qualify for any disability service (or similar) and what type of documentation must I provide?

Oh, and I'm not talking about a wheelchair/mode of transport (I still walk just fine), simply something that would shorten my wait, as the nerve damage in my feet from treatment doesn't help the situation at all.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you DIS'ers can provide :)

Read the sticky at the top of this page regarding the DAS. Doesn't sound as if you would qualify, as your issues would be solved by using a wheelchair or an ECV.

If your challenge is stamina, WDW's suggested accommodation is to rent an ECV or wheelchair. You do not need to sit in/on it at all times; it can be parked while you walk some, a manual wheelchair can be pushed (use it to tote your bags and stuff). But that is the only way to get a place to sit and rest, preserving energy or stamina, while in lines.

If you have other issues that might prevent you from waiting in a standard queue, you should speak with Guest Relations to see if you'd qualify for a DAS.

If you haven't already, please check out the sticky thread WDW Disability Access Service (DAS) near the top of this forum -- there is one for WDW and one for DL. The basics are covered in the first post.

Congrats on your recovery and enjoy your vacation celebration!

I suppose I could have been more descriptive. My challenge is not only lack of stamina, but I also mentioned the nerve damage in my feet.

It is referred to as peripheral neuropathy. Because of this, I cannot stand stationary for extended periods as my ankles will give out and I will fall.

Yes, I agree, a wheelchair would solve this issue, but I can move around just fine. It's the standing around that triggers my disability.

Good afternoon. My name is Jon and I have just recently finished 7 months of chemotherapy to treat Stage 4 Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

My girlfriend and I are headed to Animal Kingdom Lodge for a 6 day trip in late August as sort of a recovery celebration since I've been couped up in my home/hospital for the better part of a year. As I am feeling much better each day, my stamina is still greatly lacking, and despite having fast passes, I know there will be times when we stand in line for up to an hour and maybe more.

This will really take it out of me and limit my total Disney experience. Would I qualify for any disability service (or similar) and what type of documentation must I provide?

Oh, and I'm not talking about a wheelchair/mode of transport (I still walk just fine), simply something that would shorten my wait, as the nerve damage in my feet from treatment doesn't help the situation at all.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you DIS'ers can provide :)
Just to add to what the other posters wrote, DAS does not shorten the wait time. It provides the ability to wait outside of the line and then enter the Fastpass Plus line when the Return Time has arrived.
Also, don't totally throw out the idea of a wheelchair or ECV. With nerve damage, it can get much more tiring to walk and the care needed to place feet you can't feel can be very frustrating when you are trying to look around and have a good time.

Hope you have a great trip. Animal Kingd Lodge is great.

Being able to come back at a specified time works just as well for me! This is great info! And many thanks for your wishes!

Anything Disney can do to prevent me from standing stationary would make a world of difference on this trip.

The problem is still going to be Disneys answer to mobility issues will be ECV or wheelchair you can try going to guest services at any of the parks and ask for a DAS you don't need to provide anything they don't care what the diagnosis is just what accommodations are needed. Unfortunately you will most likely be told to rent an ECV or wheelchair

Being able to come back at a specified time works just as well for me! This is great info! And many thanks for your wishes!

Anything Disney can do to prevent me from standing stationary would make a world of difference on this trip.

Even coming back at a specified time doesn't mean you won't be stationary as you still have to go through a line.

In requesting a DAS card, Disney wants to know what your needs/limits are, not your diagnosis (e.g. "I cannot stand in line because I get tired" NOT "I recently completed chemo.")

Disney's usual response to stamina/can't stand issues is to recommend a wheelchair.

If you are given a DAS card...
In order to get a DAS return time, you must visit the attraction to get the return time, and you can only have one return time active at once (you can use DAS in conjunction with FP+). This can result in significant additional walking- without considering the DAS, a typical adult walks about 7 miles a day while at Disneyworld.

Benches to sit at can be hard to find (yeah, it sounds funny, but it seems as though Disney has removed more benches every single trip).

August is also really hot. Depending on where you're from, the Florida heat can be a bit brutal.

A wheelchair or ECV gives you a seat anytime you need it, on your terms. If you rent from offsite, it guarantees you a seat while waiting for the bus (and on the bus).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter