3 year olds now need to wear masks in California

I'll explain why masks isolate children:

SEEING HUMAN FACES IS A MASSIVE PART OF DEVELOPMENT AND CONNECTION WITH OTHER HUMAN BEINGS.

Good lord, are you guys serious?

Kids need to be able to see smiles, frowns, facial expressions. Facial expressions are part of learning empathy. This is why they are a big focus in learning for children with autism spectrum disorder - learning expressions and learning how to make them. YES, not being able to see faces IS isolating, it separates you from other people.

Are you so numb to other humans that being able to see their faces is now totally meaningless?

"Facial expressions of emotion are nonverbal behaviors that allow us to interact efficiently in social life and respond to events affecting our welfare. " - Psychonomic Bulletin & Review
"They are extremely important to the social interaction of individuals. " - Department of Psychology, Ningbo University

This is absolutely horrifying, dystopian insanity.
Of course, it is ideal for kids to not wear masks. But in an ideal world, there would be no pandemic. And at home, families dont have to wear masks, so kids can learn about facial expressions at home.
If the choice is between attending camp where masks are required, and not attending camp at all, many parents would choose camp.

Some day care centers are open. But many fewer parents are relying on day care centers, as parents are working from home, or have lost their jobs. The low incidence of kids getting covid 19 has a lot to do with social distancing.

My son was diagnosed ADHD at 6 years old but he was my wild child from the time he could crawl. And that’s putting it mildly. There’s absolutely no way he would’ve worn a mask at 3 years old up until he was probably 8.

My daughter was supposed to wear an eye patch at 5 to help with her lazy eye. That never worked either and we did the drops instead.

I’m with PP’s that it’s getting ridiculous already.

God help the adults and caregivers and teachers that have to enforce these rules.

What happens when a kid keeps taking off their mask? Do you call mom and dad to pick them up? Do you kick a 4 year old out of camp because they don’t have the maturity to keep it on? Oh this is going to get wild.

I would be more concerned about the child constantly touching/adjusting their germ-filled mask with concentrated germs from undiagnosed strep, colds, mononucleosis, etc. then touching other people and things. Seems to me that may be a worse way to spread germs than the low risk of being a Covid carrier.

What happens when a kid keeps taking off their mask? Do you call mom and dad to pick them up? Do you kick a 4 year old out of camp because they don’t have the maturity to keep it on? Oh this is going to get wild.
When DS was young (around 3-4), he had a problem keeping his CLOTHES on in daycare. He'd get upset about something and strip. Guess what? We got called MULTIPLE times to come get him (they'd try to calm him down and if they were successful, fine, if not, we got a call).

At what age do you think kids should be required to wear a mask?

I would be more concerned about the child constantly touching/adjusting their germ-filled mask with concentrated germs from undiagnosed strep, colds, mononucleosis, etc. then touching other people and things. Seems to me that may be a worse way to spread germs than the low risk of being a Covid carrier.
At least things like strep, colds, mono, etc. have a treatment. COVID doesn't.

My just turned 3 year old Grandson came over to our house for the first time ( :woohoo: ) since this all started. I bought him a little trike to keep here at Grandma's. He rode round and round our driveway on Friday just lovin' life. Well then the next day Mommy and Daddy brought over his Ninja Turtles bike helmet. He had such a fit about wearing this helmet; he got off the bike and never attempted to ride it again. I know helmets are safe.....don't want to go there with our DIS community but just saying........I couldn't even imagine what my little grand would have done if we slapped a mask on his face for very long. It was 84 degrees and very humid so maybe we can just blame it all on a good 'ole Michigan summer day. ;)

My just turned 3 year old Grandson came over to our house for the first time ( :woohoo: ) since this all started. I bought him a little trike to keep here at Grandma's. He rode round and round our driveway on Friday just lovin' life. Well then the next day Mommy and Daddy brought over his Ninja Turtles bike helmet. He had such a fit about wearing this helmet; he got off the bike and never attempted to ride it again. I know helmets are safe.....don't want to go there with our DIS community but just saying........I couldn't even imagine what my little grand would have done if we slapped a mask on his face for very long. It was 84 degrees and very humid so maybe we can just blame it all on a good 'ole Michigan summer day. ;)

Depends on the kid. My kid was extremely verbal at 3. We got a little 3 wheel scooter and a helmet, and wearing it wasn't an issue. Our kid was so used to being restrained by a child seat that we would get reminded if we forgot to secure it. After a while these things can become second nature to a child.

Depends on the kid. My kid was extremely verbal at 3. We got a little 3 wheel scooter and a helmet, and wearing it wasn't an issue. Our kid was so used to being restrained by a child seat that we would get reminded if we forgot to secure it. After a while these things can become second nature to a child.
A mask is different. Visual cues are very important even if a child is very verbal and especially for autistic children. I personally believe 3 years old (2 per Disney Rules) is too young. Parents are able to control distancing in most environments.

Just a follow up here. My 5 year old wore his mask all day at camp this week with no issues. I think I was more worried about his willingness to use it than he was!
I found, with children, if you approach a subject with "that's how it has to be" attitude, they're pretty accepting.

Just a follow up here. My 5 year old wore his mask all day at camp this week with no issues. I think I was more worried about his willingness to use it than he was!

I was thinking of this thread when I was at the store today. Saw several young children wearing masks no problem. I also think children want to be like adults in a lot of ways, so if the adults are wearing mask with no issues then they will too.

I was thinking of this thread when I was at the store today. Saw several young children wearing masks no problem. I also think children want to be like adults in a lot of ways, so if the adults are wearing mask with no issues then they will too.
My younger kids absolutely handle their mask wearing better than my teens. They all wear them and they all know how important it is, but they complain a lot less than the older ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter