3 park unlimited ticket question and resorts opinions please

mickeystoontown

DIS Veteran
We are currently booked for two weeks at Walt Disney World but are thinking of possibly moving over to Universal for the second week instead. Dates at Disney would be 11/14 to 11/21 and Universal would be 11/21 to 11/28. I'm looking at an offer that Universal has and it includes a "3 park unlimited ticket". The highlights on the site say the following but I can't tell if you get park to park access or if we would have to stick to one park per day.

The 3-Park Unlimited Ticket entitles one (1) guest admission to Universal Studios Florida™, Universal's Islands of Adventure™, AND Universal's Volcano Bay™ and select live entertainment venues of Universal CityWalk™ ("CityWalk") on all days during a fourteen (14) consecutive calendar day period which includes the first day any portion of the ticket is used. The ticket will expire in full on the expiration date printed on ticket. Unused days shall be forfeited.

We are looking at Cabana Bay, Hard Rock or Loews Royal Pacific. I know that the unlimited express pass are perks when staying at Hard Rock and Royal Pacific so I'd have to add express pass to the Cabana Bay reservation if we stayed there. Our intentions are to spend two days in Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure so it may very well be less expensive to stay at Hard Rock or Royal Pacific. I'd like to weigh my options before booking.

Have any of you purchased the 3 park unlimited ticket and, if so, how did it work for you? Also, opinions on the three resort possibilities would be appreciated.

You will have park to park access and can wander between the parks, which is easy, as they are next to each other (maybe 5 minutes walk) or take the Hogwarts Express. One thing about UOR that you will find very different to WDW ( particularly now) is that you can wander in and out and the parks are within easy walking distance of the deluxe hotels. For 7 days, I would consider buying at least one AP, which may give you a room discount and some discounts off food and merchandise. You don’t all need APs for the discount but sometimes the price differential is very small. It’s worth checking the price. I always use one of the deluxe hotels with the free EPs.
Here is a link to the APH room rates. Just insert the dates that you are looking for. If an APH rate is not available at the moment, book the room that you want and keep checking the website as it is easy to modify to the APH rate. Have fun.

https://res.windsurfercrs.com/ibe/default.aspx?hotelID=14842&langID=1&hgID=641&currID=0

You will have park to park access and can wander between the parks, which is easy, as they are next to each other (maybe 5 minutes walk) or take the Hogwarts Express. One thing about UOR that you will find very different to WDW ( particularly now) is that you can wander in and out and the parks are within easy walking distance of the deluxe hotels. For 7 days, I would consider buying at least one AP, which may give you a room discount and some discounts off food and merchandise. You don’t all need APs for the discount but sometimes the price differential is very small. It’s worth checking the price. I always use one of the deluxe hotels with the free EPs.
Here is a link to the APH room rates. Just insert the dates that you are looking for. If an APH rate is not available at the moment, book the room that you want and keep checking the website as it is easy to modify to the APH rate. Have fun.

https://res.windsurfercrs.com/ibe/default.aspx?hotelID=14842&langID=1&hgID=641&currID=0
Hey

Thanks for this. Just checking what you said here- I can book a room now and then later modify that room to the AP rate when that comes online? When do AP rates usually get released for dec?

Yes that’s what I do. @macraven and @schumigirl may have spotted a pattern. I just check everyday with my morning coffee. 😔
That’s fantastic! So do you make a new booking or just amend the old? Interested as we have a Jurassic Park kids room and I know they’re super limited so I don’t think I could make another booking for the same room type and my son really wants to stay with the dinosaurs (ok fine, it’s not just my son! I want to stay with the dinos!)

Thank you! Since we will be there the week of Thanksgiving, I'm considering one of the resorts which include the unlimited express pass since my understanding is that they aren't included in the 3 park unlimited pass. By the time I pay to add the passes to one of the less expensive resorts, it's almost the same price as staying in one of the three "deluxe" category resorts.

Thank you! Since we will be there the week of Thanksgiving, I'm considering one of the resorts which include the unlimited express pass since my understanding is that they aren't included in the 3 park unlimited pass. By the time I pay to add the passes to one of the less expensive resorts, it's almost the same price as staying in one of the three "deluxe" category resorts.
That’s correct. One purchases the EPs in addition to park tickets. With AP rates I usually find that the deluxe resorts with free EPs are cheaper than buying the EPs. One still needs to buy park tickets though.

That’s correct. One purchases the EPs in addition to park tickets. With AP rates I usually find that the deluxe resorts with free EPs are cheaper than buying the EPs. One still needs to buy park tickets though.

That's what we are intend to do. The package that I am looking at includes a 3 park unlimited ticket.

I know that the unlimited express pass are perks when staying at Hard Rock and Royal Pacific so I'd have to add express pass to the Cabana Bay reservation if we stayed there.
Often, it is cheaper to stay at HRH or RPR with EP included than it would be to stay at Cabana Bay and pay for EP for each day. I would price compare these, and when you do, make sure you are pricing out the unlimited EP because that's what is included with HRH and RPR.

Since you're staying for 7 days, another option would be to stay at HRH or RPR for your park days only, and then move to Cabana Bay for your non-park days when EP won't be needed. Saves some money and Cabana Bay has a great pool area, although pool hopping is permitted across most Universal resort properties.

The package that I am looking at includes a 3 park unlimited ticket.
Is this a hotel and ticket package? Most people here would say packages are not worth it. You can often book each element of a package cheaper, by getting AP rates or buying tickets through a third party. There's also more generous cancellation policies for the hotel when booked alone.

I also agree with PP that you should consider annual passes. It would give you the flexibility to enter either park (or all 3, if you include Volcano Bay) at any point during your week long stay, and would make you eligible for AP rates at the resorts, if they have them.

Our intentions are to spend two days in Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure
Any time at Volcano Bay? Just curious why you're considering the 3 park ticket. A 2 park ticket is usually cheaper. If you are interested in Volcano Bay, it would be ideal to stay at Cabana Bay for that because there is a walking path.

I can book a room now and then later modify that room to the AP rate when that comes online?
Yes, IF an AP rate becomes available. As PPs have mentioned, not every room type and not all dates will have AP rates available. You may need to change room type if you want to take advantage of an AP rate, and it will be subject to availability. Jump on it when you see it because availability and the price often changes daily.

So do you make a new booking or just amend the old?
Its better to call and modify over the phone. If you have to change room type or dates, it would just be a modification over the phone and your deposit won't be impacted. To make a new booking means you'd have to lay out a new deposit, and then have your previous one be refunded.

If we bundle the 3 park unlimited into the package, we get a $200 package promo which makes these tickets less expensive than the others.

In case this hasn't been mentioned, you need a park to park ticket in order to ride the Hogwarts Express. If you're into HP, you will want to ride the train at least once in each direction, as each direction has a different "show." You should really look over the Annual Passes and consider the perks, especially now that 'most' of the Blockout dates have been waved through the end of the year.

We have stayed at Lowes Royal Pacific and it is absolutely on par with the Deluxe Disney Resorts. I am a self-proclaimed Disneyphile, but with the current Disney limitations, and the ease of a Universal vacation, I would definitely recommend your plan of incorporating Universal into your Disney itinerary. We just returned for a Universal vacation in late June after a cancelled Disney one, and although it broke my Disney heart a little, my 7 year old grandson (whom I took to Disney in September) now claims he likes Universal better! We had the Unlimited Express pass, and it far surpasses Disney's fast pass system. I still love my WDW, but Universal is amazing as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter