3 neat things I learned this trip:

Ember

<font color=blue>I've also crazy glued myself to m
Just thought I'd share these neat facts I learned last week:

1. Okay, I fibbed. I only have two neat facts and one non-fact... Oh well. :)

2. In the gift shop of Pirates there is one the the pirate medallions used in the movies! It hangs on a vase to your right as you walk though the shop exiting the ride, heading out, about 1/2 way through the store. I had heard a rumor and was hunting for it, an amused cast member watched me as I found it and came to tell me what I had found.

3. Space Mountain is the slowest roller coaster in all of Disney World. Even the kiddie coasters go faster than Space Mountain. Go figure. Learned this on the Keys to the Kingdom tour.

So how about you? Anything neat you want to share?

Not to be a party-pooper ... But that USED to be the exact center of Disney's land in Florida.

However, with the sale of a number of parcels of land, including:

** a pending sale for the land underneath the Four Seasons Resort & Timeshare just to the north and west of Bay Lake

** pending sales around the Western Development Property near the Beltway.. over by Animal Kingdom

** and the long ago completed sale of a huge section at the southern edge which eventually became the unincorporated town/city of Celebration, FL ...

As a result of all that, the center marker is no longer accurate! In fact it hasn't been since the sale of Celebration. :confused3:

Knox

i actually have my doubts it ever was. i had a guide say it was called Epcot Center because it was the center at of the WDW property which is not why it was called that at all (but I think it was Card Walker who 'joked' at that when Epcot began to appear to lose its focus).

what is neat about those rings though is they're all connected. everyone is connected in some common theme to the person in any direction of them. and they add rings to them as time goes on too. for example, there's a communications line you can follow from the center. every inventor listed has to due with communications all the way to the world wide web.

Thanks, Ember, interesting information there. :thumbsup2 I always like learning things like that about the place.

Not to be a party-pooper ... But that USED to be the exact center of Disney's land in Florida.

However, with the sale of a number of parcels of land, including:

** a pending sale for the land underneath the Four Seasons Resort & Timeshare just to the north and west of Bay Lake

** pending sales around the Western Development Property near the Beltway.. over by Animal Kingdom

** and the long ago completed sale of a huge section at the southern edge which eventually became the unincorporated town/city of Celebration, FL ...

As a result of all that, the center marker is no longer accurate! In fact it hasn't been since the sale of Celebration. :confused3:

Knox

Is Celebration actually considered part of Disney World itself?

Is Celebration actually considered part of Disney World itself?

No.. But the land used to be part of the 27,400 acres that Disney owned in Florida... some sources indicate the original amount of property exceeded 30,000 acres at one point.

:)

Wikipedia guesses that the current size of the Disney property, given all the subtractions is around 25,000 acres.. Give or take an acre or two.

It's worth noting that Disney occasionally sells a small piece of land here or there on the very edges of the property and also occasionally buys a small piece here or there. It's a very fluid thing.

If in fact they ever really designated a true geographic center .. they'd have to keep moving the durned thing.

Knox

I agree that first fact is NOT a fact. I just read about this on all ears. They said the center is some undeveloped part of Disney. I got the impression that it neve has been the center too. I'll look it up and see......

Ok here's the link to the all ears thing

http://www.allears.net/aa/aa010708.htm#ques5

Here is what it says

Taylor writes:

My friend and I were having a friendly argument the other day about the "Center of the World" in Epcot. He says that the center of WDW is in Future World West just outside of The Land in the "bullseye" area of pavement that pays tribute to the great discoveries made over time. I say that it is between Future World and World Showcase, where the original Epcot symbol is inlaid into the ground. Can you help us find out who is correct? Thanks!

Hi Taylor!

If you're speaking of the actual geographic center of Walt Disney World property, neither of these locations is correct. The geographic center is in an undeveloped area of property which is off-limits to guests.

Once upon a time, the Epcot symbol inlaid in the concrete south of the Fountain of Nations was considered to be the ceremonial center of WDW, because Epcot Center was intended to be the "center" of WDW activity. On Epcot's 25th birthday on October 1, 2007, we were lucky enough to get a small taste of what Epcot Center was like back then. These days, the "Center" has been dropped from the park's name and with it went the "Center of the World" designation.

Inventors' Circle, in Future World West, did not exist until the 1999 refurbishment of Epcot in preparation for the Millennium Celebration. As far as I know, it's not the center of anything in particular, it just happens to be concentric circles.

A.A

Actually wouldn't it have been the 50+ mph take off on RnR? ;)

Unless you are counting DME buses. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter