2BR offsite or 1BR Onsite at higher cost?

akadada

Doin' It All for My Baby.
Hi All,

I think I know the answer, but I'm really curious what you all think.

We have enjoyed staying offsite the last two visits, the price is so good and I don't mind the driving. We also like eating offsite every once in a while. It's not that we don't like staying onsite, we've loved it, but the costs have always been so much higher while the offers have always been hotel rooms, so we just don't do it.

We have a DD (2.5) who needs her own sleeping space (or I should say, we like her in her own bedroom). We also love the kitchen flexibility.

We can get a offsite 2BR for about $135 - $175 a night depending on where we stay. Total cost about $1,500 max. We're currently planning Floridays, but may go to Vistana or Bonnet Creek.

Or we can stay at one of the Disney 1BR villas such as

SSR or OKW for $2,500
WLV for $2,750
BCV for $3,000

So. . .is it worth the extra $1,000 to $1,500 to stay onsite even though we'll lose a bedroom as well?

Thoughts?

I'm a big fan of the value of an offsite condo. The price for the quality of these is exceptional, and I personally love a great deal for my vacation dollar. Of the three properties you mentioned which are all probably fabulous, I've only stayed at the Vistana (and it is lovely). To me being onsite is not worth the high premium charged, especially when offsite accomodations are so nice, such a big hit with my family, so well priced, and really a very quick drive to everything we want to do. // You might want to post this on the Disney resorts forum too. I'm guessing most of the people posting here are probably big offsite fans like me and biased to offsite, and on the Disney resorts forum there would be more of a bias toward onsite and sharing of reasons why they think onsite is worth the extra money. (I should also qualify my opinion by admitting that while we love Disney, SeaWorld is our favorite park, and we do two days there on every trip. Obviously, if you are going to do things outside the world for sure, this negates some of the appeal of being onsite at Disney.)

You enjoyed offsite before, so the big question I think is do you want to do that again (you know it's a great value). Or do you want to try something different (sounds like you don't have big budgetary constraints) and try onsite (just to experience something a little different / see if you like it better.) // For some families I think the cost of onsite, desire to stay in a condo, and vacation budetary constraints make the offsite choice a no brainer.

We are family of 5 now and we have say offsite because I refuse have one TV in the room. Plus with a two bedroom suite at hotel like Staybridge or Residence Inn. We can make do with Springhill Suites. The big thing with us is space and is clean. Save money does offer free breakfast.

i can't afford to stay onsite in suite at WDW so it offsite for us. Plus we can bring things with us to keep the kids entertain.

Hi All,

We have enjoyed staying offsite the last two visits, the price is so good and I don't mind the driving. We also like eating offsite every once in a while. It's not that we don't like staying onsite, we've loved it, but the costs have always been so much higher while the offers have always been hotel rooms, so we just don't do it.

We have a DD (2.5) who needs her own sleeping space (or I should say, we like her in her own bedroom). We also love the kitchen flexibility.

We can get a offsite 2BR for about $135 - $175 a night depending on where we stay. Total cost about $1,500 max. We're currently planning Floridays, but may go to Vistana or Bonnet Creek.

SSR or OKW for $2,500
WLV for $2,750
BCV for $3,000

So. . .is it worth the extra $1,000 to $1,500 to stay onsite even though we'll lose a bedroom as well?

Thoughts?
I've stayed at bonnet creek in a 2 bedroom for $500-700 many times, and that includes all taxes. I think your off-site savings would be closer to $2,000 with the bonus of having much more space.

If I didn't care about money, sure I would stay onsite in a 2BR. Since I do care about money, I will be sticking with Bonnet Creek.

We usually stay at values onsite, 1 room (not even 1br) but still has 2 beds. Works great for our family of 4.

Personally I would never want to stay offsite. We have done WDW both ways, mostly onsite and for us it's the only way to go.

I appreciate the thoughts so far.

Some follow ups:

1. good idea; I'll post this to the Dis Forum as well.

2. We do have some bugetary constraints, although fortunately I could squeeze the extra simply because my airfare is covered through my business for part of the trip.

Also this exercise is trying to understand the value proposition for the marginal dollars ($1,000 to $1,500).

3. Where do you find Bonnet Creek for $700 for a week?

4. Our daughter is an early to bed girl and has her own food needs, so if we had a hotel room, we'd be held hostage by her sleep schedule (7:00 PM) and no ability to make her certain meals. . .so at least a 1BR with kitchen is a must.

We've been staying offsite for a while now. Will be again at Christmas, I went through Ken Price of vacationupgrades.com and got a 2br at Bonnett Creek for a price similar to what is quoted in this thread. You could also look at Ebay as there are some sellers that many have used as well.

Would add that we have stayed onsite in the past at AKL and it was nice and you do get the extra magic hours. However you can stay at a far nicer hotel and accommodations offsite for far fewer dollars. I guess it's just preference, I figure we can stay a few extra days vs. having the magic hours.

We have stayed offsite in suites at Wyndham bonnet creek and Sheraton Vistana Villages.

We also own 165 point DVC timeshare contract purchased resales, have stayed in a two bedroom boardwalk view multiple times, as well as a studio at Boardwalk and have rented DVC points to stay at both Old Key West and once in a studio at AK.

I truly like both onsite and offsite. My pattern once I discovered Bonnet creek is two combine 3-5 days at BWV with 3-5 at bonnet creek. We always have a car and like that flexibility.

Are the the prices you quoted from DVC via renting points from a DVC owner or directly booking from Disney?

As the kids are older, I like staying onsite as they can come and go via busses and boats. With the age of your child, I think offsite is the better choice, or combine it and stay longer fore less.

"Are the the prices you quoted from DVC via renting points from a DVC owner or directly booking from Disney?"

Directly through Disney. With the recent offers, it's cheaper through Disney than going through the DVC member sites right now from what I can tell.

We have stayed offsite in suites at Wyndham bonnet creek and Sheraton Vistana Villages.

We also own 165 point DVC timeshare contract purchased resales, have stayed in a two bedroom boardwalk view multiple times, as well as a studio at Boardwalk and have rented DVC points to stay at both Old Key West and once in a studio at AK.

I truly like both onsite and offsite. My pattern once I discovered Bonnet creek is to combine 3-5 days at BWV with 3-5 at bonnet creek. We always have a car and like that flexibility.

Are the the prices you quoted from DVC via renting points from a DVC owner or directly booking from Disney?

As the kids are older, I like staying onsite as they can come and go via busses and boats. With the age of your child, I think offsite is the better choice, or combine it and stay longer fore less.

With a couple and only a young child, off-site all the way, even if the price was closer. The extra room will be worth it.

If you had teens that could take the Disney buses on their own, the answer might be different. Our 17yo made the trek to DisneyQuest on his own while we amused ourselves at the Wilderness Lodge resort. We could have driven him from an off-site resort (and have done that with the older kids a few times) but it was nice not to have to coordinate that.

If your family is always on the same schedule, there is little advantage to staying on-site.

Sheila

Hi All,

SSR or OKW for $2,500
WLV for $2,750
BCV for $3,000

Thoughts?

I love doing that same math. That savings is what allows our family to go back pretty much every year; I couldn't do that staying in a 2BR onsite. And like you, I have DS with extreme food sensitivity, so we need the kitchen. Also with 2 (now) teens, the space is a godsend! Disney sends us pin codes regularly for DVC villas, but even with those, the math doesn't come close.

We spent our first trip in a 1BR at OKW. A totally unexpected upgrade that we very much appreciated. It was nice, but you would be better off site. The 1BR is really big, but it is just 1 bedroom. You'd have trouble putting DD down to bed and then staying up unless you put her in a Pack N Play in the bedroom, went to the living room to watch tv and then snuck back into bed. Also, there is not much separating the bedroom and the bathroom and any bathroom usage would be loud in the bedroom.

People talk about being on site to feel the whole "experience". However, OKW is not really that themed. I don't recall ANY Disney touches in the room or on the property other than the main building. We are renting through Vacation Central Florida and there's lots more theming there than there would be at OKW. Yeah, the bus at those resorts is pretty good, too, but you're waiting for the bus all the time. With just your small family, you won't likely need to have one person running back to the room and need that flexibility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter