$28 Wal-Mart 6 ft. sub sandwich ?

Since this is the budget board, I'm going to throw out what a bad, bad idea financing FOOD is. Seriously, if you can not afford to pay cash, I would not do this party. It already seems that you're skimping on food to begin with.

I'm trying to keep it budget because I'm paying off 2 creditcard on Friday one which is my big one. And I will payoff the two smaller ones next month when those are due. I'm trying to keep it budget because personally I dont feel I need to spend hundreds of dollars on food. I was thinking of financing it because its a small monthly payment with 0% finance and that way the cash I would have spend can go toward the small cc next month or into my savings. The people are invited are close family and what we are having and the type of food we are having is a lot more than what some of them have at their own parties, some dont even have parties and some only have cake and ice cream.

Just curious you mention I'm skimping on food, what would you add to this menu?
-6 ft sub
-50 piece chicken
-hot dogs large pack from costco club ball park frank brand
-hot links (maybe)
-nachos-large crockpot full of cheese ,2 large bags of tortilla chips from costco
-salsa and a couple of bags of mexican fried tortilla chips just for the salsa
-large serving tin of potato salad
-large serving tin of mac salad
-home made fruit platter-watermelon, cantelop, grapes. if on sale then strawberries and pineapple too
drinks, cake and ice cream
If I find a good deal on chips then I will add chips and dip

so far count is 30 which 6 are kids under 10

Do you have a deli near you? In NYC we have delis that make great 6 ft heros. We get chicken with fresh mozzerella and roasted peppers.It comes with potato and macaroni salad. For Super Bowl we ordered a 3 foot, then made a tray of baked ziti and a salad. Of course we had chips, onion dip, salsa, tortilla chips too You may want to think about getting the hero then maybe making baked ziti and a green salad.It's a lot easier than grilling hot dogs getting chicken etc Just a thought.

Do you have a deli near you? In NYC we have delis that make great 6 ft heros. We get chicken with fresh mozzerella and roasted peppers.It comes with potato and macaroni salad. For Super Bowl we ordered a 3 foot, then made a tray of baked ziti and a salad. Of course we had chips, onion dip, salsa, tortilla chips too You may want to think about getting the hero then maybe making baked ziti and a green salad.It's a lot easier than grilling hot dogs getting chicken etc Just a thought.

We are buying 6 ft sub and fried chicken. Only hotdogs will be grilled. Pasta like ziti and such isn't to big here with dh's family

I went to super walmart that jusst opened a few months ago.
I noticed the 6 ft sub/grinder for only $28!!! It feeds 28-30 people. They also have 50 pieces of mix pieces of fried chicken for $34 . Its a lot cheaper then two other places by my home.

My questions are...

1. Are the 6 ft. subs and fried chicken good???

2. If you usually buy the 6 ft sub do you have them slice it for you , if so does it stay in tack?

3. 6 ft subs -we were told they could leave the toppings on the side like tomato, lettuse, onion etc. The brochure says they have a tray of sides for a cost so if i do have them leave the stuff on the side will i be charged?

Sat. I'm having a party for dh that I posted on another thread. He wanted to BBQ hamburger and hot dogs. Another member mentioned it would be pricey after including all toppings and etc. I think the sub & chicken would be a lot cheaper. Plus this way dh doesnt have to grill all day.

Would like feed back on the subs and chicken.

if we go this route heres the new menu

appetizers
-Nachos
-chips and salsa

Main
-hot dogs
-sub sandwich
-fried chicken

sides
-potato salad
-mac salad
-fruit platter

I would love to have chips and dip but the big bags are $2-$3 a bag and I would need several. I went to another party that had the variety pack of snack size chips bags. I'm going to price those and see. If veggies are cheap I might do a veggie platter w/ dip

several 2 liter bottles of soda and huge 5 gallon jug of lemonade

By the way

# of rsvp's=30
# cant make it =5
# maybes= 6
# no response=24 out of those I think 9 will maybe show up without rsvping

so I'm going for 40

I wouldn't serve both nachos and chips & salsa...they are essentially the same thing, unless you mean chips & dip? How about popcorn? That's way cheap!

I wouldn't serve both nachos and chips & salsa...they are essentially the same thing, unless you mean chips & dip? How about popcorn? That's way cheap!

Nacho cheese with tortilla chip like regular nachos. Ruffles with dip . Authentic Mexican tortilla chips with salsa.

I'm trying to keep it budget because I'm paying off 2 creditcard on Friday one which is my big one. And I will payoff the two smaller ones next month when those are due. I'm trying to keep it budget because personally I dont feel I need to spend hundreds of dollars on food. I was thinking of financing it because its a small monthly payment with 0% finance and that way the cash I would have spend can go toward the small cc next month or into my savings. The people are invited are close family and what we are having and the type of food we are having is a lot more than what some of them have at their own parties, some dont even have parties and some only have cake and ice cream.

Just curious you mention I'm skimping on food, what would you add to this menu?
-6 ft sub
-50 piece chicken
-hot links (maybe)
-nachos-large crockpot full of cheese ,2 large bags of tortilla chips from costco
-home made fruit platter-watermelon, cantelop, grapes. if on sale then strawberries and pineapple too

You don't have to justify yourself, you are fine.. sounds like a good party.

-6 ft sub
-50 piece chicken
-hot links (maybe)

If you are trying to keep it budget, I would cut the chicken and nachos and add a couple of big bags of chips. In my experience, your cost increases greatly when more choices are added because many people will take some of all of it. The nacho cheese is expensive and too heavy for a Summer party to me. I only serve it in Winter. I would do...

Subs
Hot dogs for kids
tortilla chips and salsa
potato chips
potato salad
macaroni salad
Fruit tray
cake and ice cream

But hey, we do casual parties in my family. I'm having family over for DD's birthday on Sunday and serving pizza, cake, and ice cream. Tea, soda, beer and wine. I'll have plenty of pizza but around here pizza is a meal in itself. I used to go to a lot more trouble but my younger sister always does the pizza meal for her kid's birthdays and I love how casual and relaxed it is so I'm stealing her menu.

I've never purchased the subs from Walmart, but our boss gets them for us as a treat on special occasions. They're really good - better than Subway, I think. She always gets the toppings on the side & we cut the sandwich ourselves. Hope that helps somewhat!

Shelli

If you are trying to keep it budget, I would cut the chicken and nachos and add a couple of big bags of chips. In my experience, your cost increases greatly when more choices are added because many people will take some of all of it. The nacho cheese is expensive and too heavy for a Summer party to me. I only serve it in Winter. I would do...

Subs
Hot dogs for kids
tortilla chips and salsa
potato chips
potato salad
macaroni salad
Fruit tray
cake and ice cream

But hey, we do casual parties in my family. I'm having family over for DD's birthday on Sunday and serving pizza, cake, and ice cream. Tea, soda, beer and wine. I'll have plenty of pizza but around here pizza is a meal in itself. I used to go to a lot more trouble but my younger sister always does the pizza meal for her kid's birthdays and I love how casual and relaxed it is so I'm stealing her menu.

I know someone else mentioned it too that some people will pick two items . My thoughts were hotdog and nachos for the kids and nachos as appetizer for some adults . And if adults want hotdogs with sub that's fine. I don't even mind buying a second sub (3 ft or 6 ft)incase more people show up that didn't RSVP. Plus there will be 2nds . I also went to Costco and bought chips

UPDATE- Party turned out great! We had about 40 people show up. Some people that RSVp's didnt show up and some that didnt RSVp did show up-lol!
I ended up ordering 2- 6 ft. subs. I ordered it cut and on a platter. If you want presentation and you have a big car gor for the full 6 ft. If it doesnt matter go for the platter. The pieces were good sizes. Guest finished 1 1/2 of the tray. I slipt some of the sub with MIL and we kept some for leftovers. I also had hot dogs, nachos, chips , dip , chips & salsa, fruit and 2 salads. It was more than enough food. People said it was a good combination.Several people also asked where we bought the sub and were very surprised that it was from Wal-mart. We will definetly buy subs from wal mart again.

BTW- 4 people asked if I was having a bday party for me( 2 months away and I never have parties for myself-lol!). And 3 people asked when are we having another party-lol!

$28 for 6 ft sub gets a :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 from me:goodvibes

I hosted a Grad party with 80 people came
Had 2 6 ft subs, they ate 1 and 1/4
the rest of the food was from Costco:
-Box of individual chip bags
-The big hit was the 7 layer dip served with Tortilla chips-I carefully pulled them out of the carton and put on a platter then covered with more shredded cheese to disguise that I had bought it!
the Potato salad was barely touched
Cut up 2 watermelons-most was gone
Cut up 4 Pineapples(only becasue I have one of the corkscrew type cutters) and it was snarfed.
Had 2 cakes from Costco and both had just 1/4 left

I hosted a Grad party with 80 people came
Had 2 6 ft subs, they ate 1 and 1/4
the rest of the food was from Costco:
-Box of individual chip bags
-The big hit was the 7 layer dip served with Tortilla chips-I carefully pulled them out of the carton and put on a platter then covered with more shredded cheese to disguise that I had bought it!
the Potato salad was barely touched
Cut up 2 watermelons-most was gone
Cut up 4 Pineapples(only becasue I have one of the corkscrew type cutters) and it was snarfed.
Had 2 cakes from Costco and both had just 1/4 left

Oh please do tell me about the pineapple cutter!!!!!! I live fresh pineapple but dislike cutting it lol! Where do I get one and how much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter