$28 Wal-Mart 6 ft. sub sandwich ?

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
I went to super walmart that jusst opened a few months ago.
I noticed the 6 ft sub/grinder for only $28!!! It feeds 28-30 people. They also have 50 pieces of mix pieces of fried chicken for $34 . Its a lot cheaper then two other places by my home.

My questions are...

1. Are the 6 ft. subs and fried chicken good???

2. If you usually buy the 6 ft sub do you have them slice it for you , if so does it stay in tack?

3. 6 ft subs -we were told they could leave the toppings on the side like tomato, lettuse, onion etc. The brochure says they have a tray of sides for a cost so if i do have them leave the stuff on the side will i be charged?

Sat. I'm having a party for dh that I posted on another thread. He wanted to BBQ hamburger and hot dogs. Another member mentioned it would be pricey after including all toppings and etc. I think the sub & chicken would be a lot cheaper. Plus this way dh doesnt have to grill all day.

Would like feed back on the subs and chicken.

if we go this route heres the new menu

appetizers
-Nachos
-chips and salsa

Main
-hot dogs
-sub sandwich
-fried chicken

sides
-potato salad
-mac salad
-fruit platter

I would love to have chips and dip but the big bags are $2-$3 a bag and I would need several. I went to another party that had the variety pack of snack size chips bags. I'm going to price those and see. If veggies are cheap I might do a veggie platter w/ dip

several 2 liter bottles of soda and huge 5 gallon jug of lemonade

By the way

# of rsvp's=30
# cant make it =5
# maybes= 6
# no response=24 out of those I think 9 will maybe show up without rsvping

so I'm going for 40

We've had the sub multiple times and It's on par with Subway. It will come in two 3ft sections. My wife orders so I can't speak to a difference in cost, but we always get the toppings (lettuce and onion at least; mustard, etc) on the side and I don't think we get charged. We cut it ourselves.

Just FYI. It doesn't actualy feed 30 if that is the only entree they are getting. With the other things you have listed it should be fine for 30, but it only does that many if you cut tiny slices. It would be like getting half of a Subway 6 inch or less to make 30 slices.

By RSVP, do you mean they are coming? If so and with that many no responses, you may want to either call ever one or count closes to 50. We had a family member get married recently and there were many people that were not counted in the RSVP, that did show!

Food- I would choose one of the main foods. Either hot dogs, subs OR chicken. All three are offered, people are going to take one of each and it will take way more food!

If you do chicken for 50.....75-100 pieces at least
Hot Dogs....75-100
Subs---Count 6 inch for adults......3 for kids.

We are not fans of grocery store chicken anywhere but it is much cheaper than somewhere like KFC.

We have done subs for a graduation party and we did a local sub place and they were VERY good and they did toppings on the side for free. This was the EASIEST party. We had chips (Sams huge bags), pasta, potato and Fruit salad; graduation cake and strawberries and cream and pound cake. All Salads made ahead of time and it was VERY easy and cost was not that bad. I counted 6inch sub for everyone as we had a lot of teens and few kids.

Hot Dogs are cheaper and we have done this too but it takes more last minute work. For the subs.....we went directly from the ceremony to the party and simply set the food out.

We like the chicken there. I like that I can feed our family of 5 for much less than I would pay at KFC. For our church functions for the children's department we ofter order the pick 3 buckets and get popcorn chicken for all 3 picks. At Easter I got 9 buckets of popcorn chicken and it feed 200 people ( chips, dip and cakes also ). The buckets are like 10.00 so for our church it was a great deal.

For some party we had for the kids, we did the sub from Walmart but instead of just selling us a 6 ft. sub, they cut it in portions and it was on a tray arranged in a circle.

We just did the meat and cheese on the sub itself and had all the "dressings" on the side for them to pick and choose.

For some party we had for the kids, we did the sub from Walmart but instead of just selling us a 6 ft. sub, they cut it in portions and it was on a tray arranged in a circle.

We just did the meat and cheese on the sub itself and had all the "dressings" on the side for them to pick and choose.

Did u pay around $28 for it on a tray? Dh and I were trying to figure out how messy it would be if the cut it for us since its in a 6 ft cardboard box holder. Now I'm curious if we asked for it cut if it comes on a tray

I've noticed that sandwich and wondered about it too. If the quality's good, then it's a good price.

My thoughts:

1. How're you going to transport a 6' sandwich? I assume it'll come on a piece of cardboard. Will it fit into your car? It would not fit into my car, but a friend with a van would certainly help me.

2. If it's intact (not in tack), then it's a cool presentation. If it's cut up into pieces, why not just get a bunch of small sandwiches, chop off the ends, and piece them together?

We have gotten the subs and chicken for events at work and everyone loves both of them. Both are made fresh the morning of the order.

I would not assume every adult is going to eat 6 inches of a sandwich, more like 2-3 inches or two slices if a man (I have noticed at my parties that men take double of everything when loading their plates :rolleyes: ).

For fifty guests I would buy 75 pieces of chicken

Hot dogs, I would plan for one for each guest you expect, not everyone even likes them.

But if you really want easy and cheap, just do the sub and the side salads. You only need maybe 4 bags of chips, I would definately serve chips with a sub. You need to buy tons of plates and cups, and drinks too.

I have always had good luck buying the deli chicken from a grocery store instead of doing KFC or some place that specializes in it.

I am weird and assume the hotdogs are for the kids and the men and ladies will eat the hamburgers instead but then everyone takes both, so I agree on that point that the more you offer, the more food will be piled on the plates. I made sliders (small burgers) at my last bbq to make the food stretch more. I think it was a good plan ;).

Or heck, just make a big vat of mostaciolli, a nice green salad, get a few loaves of fresh Italian bread and call it good :). Your menu will depend on what time of day and how long the party will last.

I've noticed that sandwich and wondered about it too. If the quality's good, then it's a good price.

My thoughts:

1. How're you going to transport a 6' sandwich? I assume it'll come on a piece of cardboard. Will it fit into your car? It would not fit into my car, but a friend with a van would certainly help me.

2. If it's intact (not in tack), then it's a cool presentation. If it's cut up into pieces, why not just get a bunch of small sandwiches, chop off the ends, and piece them together?

6 ft subs are usually made up in 3 ft sections.

Buying a bunch of foot longs is not the same, the bread is smaller and the fillings are less. Party subs are made for bigger portions.

My thoughts:

It will fit in my car if I put the back seat down.

We've done the fried chicken at walmart. Tasted great. My only complaint was they cut the breast in half and call it two pieces. I always think the bigger breast pieces balance out getting stuck with small wings but not at walmart.

If it were me I would buy the extras like chips, etc rather than add more fresh food. What you listed is plenty as i am sure not everyone will eat one of everything there. Also the veggies are a good choice as some people dont do salads or chips. If you have leftover chips they keep where the fresh food has an expiration much sooner.

Sounds yummy!

At our Walmart, the 6 ft sub comes in 3 sections, 2 feet each. They use the big loaves of french bread from the bakery for each 2 ft section. We always cut it at home with a big serated knife and always got the lettuce, tomato, mayo etc on the side. They are very generous with the fixings. They do feed a lot because the bread is very wide. We found the quality good.

If it were me I would buy the extras like chips, etc rather than add more fresh food. What you listed is plenty as i am sure not everyone will eat hey load up again
one of everything there. Also the veggies are a good choice as some people dont do salads or chips. If you have leftover chips they keep where the fresh food has an expiration much sooner.

Sounds yummy!
I was thinking of maybe buying 2-3 bags of just ruffles chips with dip on the side. that way if they want chips they can add it to their plate with dip. usually I set out chips and dips, chips, salsa, nacho cheese, veggie platter and all of it goes, then when food comes we do two choices and they load up again , so people who show up late because of work or just late miss out on all the choices. Some family members do load up-lol!

I went to a party this past weekend and the only appetizers they had were pretzels and peanuts in the shell. Chips , dip, veggies, nachos and fruit were served with the main food so people were limited how much they could fit on their plate. I actually liked this idea.

At our Walmart, the 6 ft sub comes in 3 sections, 2 feet each. They use the big loaves of french bread from the bakery for each 2 ft section. We always cut it at home with a big serated knife and always got the lettuce, tomato, mayo etc on the side. They are very generous with the fixings. They do feed a lot because the bread is very wide. We found the quality good.

I was told the sub bread comes from the bakery. It looked good and felt good not to hard and not to soft just right. I called this morning and they said if they cut it, its put on a tray and theres no extra charge.

Walmart creditcard has a deal going on spend $150and get 6 month 0 % finance and if you spend more depending on amount you have 12 months 0% finance and 18 month 0%. I called and asked if I buy items and include 1-2 giftcards would the giftcards qualify. I was told as long as I buy items along with giftcards then it qualifies just not giftcards buy it self. I figure I'd buy all the paper goods, table clothes , subs and chicken and 1-2 giftcards that I can use at Sam's or for a later date.

mmmm....giant sandwich...
Homer-sandwich.jpg

I was thinking of maybe buying 2-3 bags of just ruffles chips with dip on the side. that way if they want chips they can add it to their plate with dip. usually I set out chips and dips, chips, salsa, nacho cheese, veggie platter and all of it goes, then when food comes we do two choices and they load up again , so people who show up late because of work or just late miss out on all the choices. Some family members do load up-lol!

I went to a party this past weekend and the only appetizers they had were pretzels and peanuts in the shell. Chips , dip, veggies, nachos and fruit were served with the main food so people were limited how much they could fit on their plate. I actually liked this idea.

I was told the sub bread comes from the bakery. It looked good and felt good not to hard and not to soft just right. I called this morning and they said if they cut it, its put on a tray and theres no extra charge.

Walmart creditcard has a deal going on spend $150and get 6 month 0 % finance and if you spend more depending on amount you have 12 months 0% finance and 18 month 0%. I called and asked if I buy items and include 1-2 giftcards would the giftcards qualify. I was told as long as I buy items along with giftcards then it qualifies just not giftcards buy it self. I figure I'd buy all the paper goods, table clothes , subs and chicken and 1-2 giftcards that I can use at Sam's or for a later date.

Since this is the budget board, I'm going to throw out what a bad, bad idea financing FOOD is. Seriously, if you can not afford to pay cash, I would not do this party. It already seems that you're skimping on food to begin with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter