25th anniversary ideas

lisajl

DIS Veteran
Hey all. My Dh and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary in August.
We decided to wait until Oct to celebrate it, that is when we will be in WDW.
We already bought our tix, have the money set aside for the house we are renting, have spending money set aside.

Well, I just found stuff from our wedding in the basement.
Not sure if I am melancholy or it's from the dust in the basement, but I started crying.
25 years has gone by so fast. I want just for my DH and I to do something together, in August. Just us.
We are taking our kids to Florida with us. They are 23, 15 and 12.
Took a while to have those last two!

Does anyone have any ideas in and around Ohio, close neighboring states, that we could do, just the two of us that won't break the bank.
Even if it is for just one night. Please help me! I was thinking of Chicago..any ideas there?

Thanks so much
Lisa

I don't have any ideas but I wanted to say Happy Anniversary! That is an accomplishment! (My DH and I have been together for 25 years and married for 21! ) Whatever you do, I hope you have a great time!

I am from central Ohio and we have found really good deals on Southwest and Southwest vacations for weekends in Chicago when you fly out of Columbus. You can get a flight and hotel. When we have gone we have taken a shuttle from Midway to our downtown hotel. We then walked or took cabs around downtown.

Congrats to both! Our 25th is next May :)

I think a night or weekend in Chicago would be very nice! Maybe you can go to a show. For a belated anniversary a couple years ago my husband and I got dressed up and went to dinner and to see "Once Upon a Mattress" at a summer stock theater here in Maine. It was soooo good! We've seen shows in London, Boston, and NYC, and this was really high caliber. If you can't swing the trip to Chicago, see if there are any summer theaters with professional actors in your area. It's a great way to "escape."

I am from central Ohio and we have found really good deals on Southwest and Southwest vacations for weekends in Chicago when you fly out of Columbus. You can get a flight and hotel. When we have gone we have taken a shuttle from Midway to our downtown hotel. We then walked or took cabs around downtown.

Congrats to both! Our 25th is next May :)

Thanks so much...BTW, my DH works for Worthington City Schools!
I have been talking to him about chicago, I think it would be fun.

We are also from Columbus and last year for our anniversary, we flew SW and went to St. Louis. So many free and cheap things to do there. We stayed at the Drury Inn and can't say enough about it. Free breakfast and cocktail hour with snacks included. Happy Anniversary!! :lovestruc

Here's a few budget ideas for a weekend to Chicago:
I'm not sure where you are in Ohio, but Southwest has deals from Columbus or Cinncinatti for $49 each way. Otherwise, if you're close to the Indiana border, you could drive.
Get a visitor's pass from the CTA(Chicago transit authority). This will allow you unlimited transportation on the buses and trains and will save you a lot of money. You can get these at the airport and a few other locations. We always use them as much as we can and then, if there's any time left on them when we leave, we pass them on to someone else at the station. Also, in August, the free trolleys will probably be running to the popular tourist destinations.
Go to choosechicago.com. This has a lot of helpful information on planning a trip and even has a page about "Free Chicago."
Dining- At restaurant.com you can get $25 in gift certificates for $10. They aren't to the major chain restaurants, but you may be able to find a unique restaurant to try out on your trip.
Theater- You can sometimes get cheap theater tickets by showing up the morning of the show you want to see.
Other attractions- There is a card called Go Chicago Card and you pay one price for admission to a long list of popular destinations, like museums, some tours, zoos, etc.

Hope these ideas help!
-L

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter